GB HOMEPAGE

Ghost in the Sheet

Posted By: HandsFree

Ghost in the Sheet - 09/04/08 12:24 PM

Don't know if it goes here cause it's not exactly a review, but on this forum I won a free 'Ghost in the Sheet' download, so I thought I should let you know how I liked it.

A lot smile

I'm not going to spoil the story here, because the whole point of the game is to find out what's going on and what happened. But the first thing that struck me was that there's no inventory. That means the tasks you're facing are mostly logical. At times it felt like I was playing a Mystlike game with all the buttons and levers.
In most games of that type however, solving a problem just means you're moved to the next puzzle. Here, the story really unfolds as you overcome all the obstacles. That's in my opinion this game's forte.

I know I'm an atypical adventuregamer because I like music and soundpuzzles, and GITS has a good one!
The others are as said mostly logical and some of the clues are very subtle, making this game a bit harder than I expected (Together with some obscure hotspots, I needed a walkthrough 5 times for this one wich wasn't very good for my self-esteem).
There are also two arcade sequences, that I normally don't like, but they're mild enough.

GITS is no way a scary game. Spooky, yes, and actually rather funny sometimes. It took me about eight hours to finish it.

There were no crashes or anything like that, but I did have some problems with the soundcontrols. Maybe it's my system, but with the default soundsettings I couldn't hear the speech very well. Fiddling with the controls turned out tedious because the soundlevels I heard in the settings screen were totally different from the soundlevels in the game. I had to go back and forth a few times to get it right. And when I saved a game, the soundsettings weren't saved with it. So I had to do it over again every session.

But that's a minor thing of course. I can recommend this game for the way the puzzles move the story forward and the overall spookiness smile
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/04/08 02:50 PM

Thanks HandsFree wave

You put it in the right spot and we appreciate hearing what our members think.

It sounds like a neat game, but unless the music/sound puzzle has a way to skip or visual cues, I'd have to have hubby do it.
Posted By: Volkana

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/04/08 03:32 PM

Thanks HandsFree for the review... I liked this game a lot... wave
Posted By: HandsFree

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/04/08 06:49 PM

The soundpuzzle has no visual clues and I don't think it can be skipped (I didn't look for that). You have to be able to recognize and distinguish different sounds.
You don't need a musical ear though. It's nowhere near as difficult as the tonepuzzle in Voyage for instance smile

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/05/08 02:44 PM

Hmmmm, if it's not musical and not too high in the frequency range, I can probably do it. I don't hear any freqs over 8000 though.

Sounds like a puzzle for KISA. wave
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/06/08 04:00 PM

I wouldn't describe the puzzle as musical (you don't need to hear tones - if you can distinguish for example various animals by their voice, you should be ok with this one). There's an option to skip sound puzzle anyway (I made a special cheat-patch and it's available from our forums at http://www.ghostinthesheet.com ).

HandsFree: thanks for the minireview. You're actually too right on certain aspects, but we all learn, don't we? wink Our next game (although it's not a typical adventure per se) has learned a huge deal from Ghost in the Sheet.

Edit: link was wrong
Posted By: Becky

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/06/08 07:07 PM

J.U.L.I.A. looks interesting. In what way is it not an adventure, per se?

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/06/08 07:51 PM

thanks metamorphium.

I can indeed distinguish animal sounds so it's back in my "to buy" column wave
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/07/08 12:08 AM

Becky, I don't want to hijack this thread, but J.U.L.I.A. is entirely different in a terms of gameplay and overall conception from any game I've played so far. While it's driven and the key aspect is a (hopefully strong) story, the mechanisms are different. If I had to classify it (and I can't really find any pigeonhole for it), I'd probably say that it's very variable casual game. This means that we try to bring the gameplay mechanics to non-adventure players as well, so they don't need to know a lot of paradigms out there. There'll be some more revelations very soon. wink We're trying to put in a big deal of gameplay variety so it won't hopefully fall into repetitive box as there'll be really little to no repetitions.

Just don't expect any 3rd person walking around on mouseclicks. This game is quite different.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/07/08 12:52 AM

Thanks metamorphium -- I'm looking forward to learning more!
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/07/08 10:10 AM

Thanks HandsFree for your very informative impressions of the game. smile
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/07/08 10:34 PM

I won this game too and have just finished it.
I really liked it... not at all scary and a very interesting control set. laugh
Quite refreshing not to have to walk around carrying all sorts of stuff in an inventory.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/25/08 02:21 AM

I finished this game a couple of weeks ago, and although when I started it, I was sure I wasn't going to enjoy it, I really did--quite a bit! It's quite different, and gives a chuckle now and then. Had to get used to not picking up everything in my view to stick in inventory, though. Would recommend it!
(P.S. Had no problems with the sound.)
Posted By: Volkana

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/25/08 11:08 PM

Mary when i started this game i thought i wasn't going to like it either. It was a very pleasant surprise... The story was amazing...
Glad you like it... wave
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/26/08 01:03 PM

I'm sorry to be in the minority here, but I didn't like this one. Especially after spending what seemed like an eternity listening to Hanson scream while I tried to trigger the response. And as for Neils "conversation", that's where I quit.

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/26/08 03:45 PM

Sara, everyone's opinions are welcome and respected. What's up for you next?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/27/08 06:52 PM

Ghost in the Sheet was one of my favorite games for this year (the other two were Dracula Origin and The Lost Crown). I ordered Ghost from InteractCD along with 3 other games. I hadn't been expecting to enjoy it, and only added it to my order as an afterthought. It was a delightful surprise -- nothing fancy -- just fun to play, with occasional humorous touches.

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/28/08 12:59 PM

Loony, I'm struggling with Secret of Atlantis and connections now.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 09/30/08 11:15 PM

Connections? Wow, that's an old one. I played it years ago and can barely remember it. I remember thinking it was unusual. I'd have played a Connections 2 if they'd made one. I've been meaning to replay Connections some day, but I've got too many new games to play before replaying an old one.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 10/01/08 01:48 AM

I tried recently to replay Connections in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox; it ran, but some of the videos didn't play correctly. Maybe one of the CVS DosBox builds would work better. I agree that it was an interesting game and it was fun to revisit it, even in this imperfect state.

I'm really looking forward to playing Ghost in the Sheet, by the way. smile
Posted By: Mary

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 10/01/08 12:40 PM

I must admit I did find the section where you try to "free" Hanson in "Ghost" rather disturbing; I had to keep telling myself this is only make believe. Other than that, I had fun!

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 10/01/08 02:15 PM

I'm playing Connections in Virtual Machine running Win95, so far it seems to be just fine. It certainly is unusual! My main problem is I keep getting side tracked by the explanations.

Mary, I found freeing Hanson very, very disturbing.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Ghost in the Sheet - 10/05/08 01:27 AM

Thanks, HandsFree

For the nice review....

I totally enjoyed this game for it humor...And the new interface game play ..Which I thought was different & original to playing a new game from such great writers & developers...

What a nice game...I am looking forward to J.U.L.I.A. thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community