GB HOMEPAGE

Bad Mojo

Posted By: flotsam

Bad Mojo - 06/18/01 06:13 AM

Hi there,
For a different take on life, try this one. You play as a cockroach, with a cockroach perspective on the world.
You get to think and act like a cockroach. Except for the occassional long shot, you see only about one square foot around you in every scene. Getting from A to B can therefore be a major exercise in itself. By way of compensation, you can climb walls, crawl down drains and even crawl on the underside of surfaces. Some surfaces you won’t be able to walk on at all - too slippery even for a cockroach. It makes you think laterally in planning a path. However you will want to be careful walking too close to the gap under a door - you never know what might be interested in a scuttling bug.
There are other hazards as well. The roach bait is obvious but you may end your days stuck in some sticky substance if you aren’t careful. You can die, sometimes most gruesomely
The puzzles also require a cockroach take on things. Pulling large levers on complex machinery is beyond you. To turn something on you can't just press the right button, and cigarette butts, coins, and other small items become far more important than in your average game.
As befits a cockroachy world, you encounter spiders, rats and dead fish. You will also be “visited” occassionally by other creatures who will give you cryptic messages that will help you work out what to do next.
The storyline is revealed by reading newspapers (as you scurry across them) and other items. There is the occassional cutscene that will help fill in the gaps as well.
The colour scheme is suitably drab - nothing too glamorous about bugs (not these sort anyway). Its point and click.
Some of the sounds are among the high points of this game. The sound of little scuttly cockroach feet, and the noise a cockroach makes when munched by a cat, stand out in my mind.
Very different

flotsam
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Bad Mojo - 06/18/01 02:36 PM

Except for getting to hear the noise a cockroach makes when munched by a cat, I can't say that this game sounds very interesting.

I mean... Even if you win, you're still a cockroach. Right?
Posted By: MrLipid

Re: Bad Mojo - 06/18/01 11:23 PM

Bad Mojo is a game of, believe it or not, salvation and redemption. Odd as it seems, it is a game I play for its sweet, kind heart. While the game begins with the transformation of the protagonist into a roach, the story that unfolds is the story that can save him and transform him into a human being. He learns, as a roach, who he is as a son and as a man. Others may cringe, but it's one of my favorites.
Posted By: syd

Re: Bad Mojo - 06/18/01 11:34 PM

One of my all time favorites as a matter of fact. I mean, name one other game that you have to think like a bug??? It's so unique that to me it's a must play for that reason alone.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Bad Mojo - 02/16/05 03:31 AM

I just finished the Bad Mojo Redux version of this game, and I agree with most of what flotsam says here.

This isn't a game that just goes for cheap gross-out moments. Well, okay, maybe they did get a bit carried away with the rat.

But what's surprising about the game is how beautiful it is, even in places that are full of grubby little creatures. And the creatures are fascinating. You start to imagine how the world would look from the perspective of a mouse or a banana slug.

And then there are the three "human" characters in the game. There's a lot more story going on in the game than originally meets the eye (no pun, etc). The video cutscenes in the Redux version are full screen, and they add considerably to the story.

Plus, I found that this is one game where the "puzzles" really do fit into the storyline and the environments.
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Bad Mojo - 02/20/05 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny100:
Except for getting to hear the noise a cockroach makes when munched by a cat, I can't say that this game sounds very interesting.

I mean... Even if you win, you're still a cockroach. Right?
There are 4 possible endings to the story. Two of them your remain a cockroach, Two of them you don't. It all depends on "timing" as it were. heeheehee

Inferno
© 2024 GameBoomers Community