Shadows of Cairn - Walkthrough
Author: George K. Ison 09/07/98
This walkthrough is based on the Cheat Patch that allows the game to be played in the Very Easy mode (invincible thief and unlimited hits.) You can start a new game in any of the other modes, and the general idea of this walkthrough will be of use. When you quit, if you choose continue or open a saved game later on, be sure and check the two cheat options.
*get out of dungeon
*double-click Shambles icon, at upper-left, to go there
In any mode except the Easy and Very Easy, the only location you can teleport to is the Fences Warehouse. The game manual doesnt mention this.
*enter the Shambles Tavern
NOTE: In the sewers, there are green slime pits and holes in the floor. You can leap over the holes (Shift and Home simultaneously for left, or Shift and Page Up for right.) You cannot leap over the slime pits or youll get eaten. You have to fight them. This does not apply to the cheat mode.
*in the sewers, talk to Crazy Guy
*continue right (east) and knock out the man
*get rat from chest
*go west and give rat to Crazy Guy, you get daggers in return
*go west to end (several screens and hazards along the way)
*turn north and continue through several hazards
*turn east and continue through hazards
*take first stairway on south wall
*at warehouse, go right and talk to Fence
*go left and exit north door
*double-click upper-left Tier icon, then fight
*enter weapon shop and get Fences dagger from the trunk
*exit, return to the warehouse, and talk to Fence
*outside, teleport to the alchemist shop and fight
*slightly to the right (east) enter the shop
*get Noblemans potion from trunk
*exit and teleport back to the warehouse and talk to Fence
*exit and teleport to the secret entrance by the barrel
*theres lots of hazards in the dungeon, carefully watch the ceiling and floor
*continue right (E) to end and go through north door
*continue west and go through first door on north wall
*go east to end and fall through floor
*go west to end and through door on south wall
*go east to end and through south door
*go west to end and fall through floor
*continue east and go through first door on north wall
*go west and through first door on north wall
*go west and get healing herbs from the trunk
*go east to the end and through the north door
*carefully walk just far enough west to reach the next screen.
*walk to one step before the spot on the floor
*to jump over the spot, hold down Shift and tap Home key once
*continue west to end and go through north door
*go to east end and drop through floor
*you should now be on level 3
*go west to next screen and go through secret north door by torch
*get skull dagger from trunk, then exit chamber
*next screen west you have to fight
*go through south-west door.
*carefully go east and through south door
*go west and fall through floor
*youre now on level 5
*go north twice, then east
*get herbs from trunk
*continue east, fall through floor and get next to right wall. This is level 6.
*turn around, hold down Shift and Home at same time to jump twice
*go through south-west door and stop to consider the following:
You could jump over all burners and traps and avoid the pile drivers. Two other areas of level 6 have healing herbs.
Level 8 has extra herbs and a scroll.
Level 9 has some herbs and nearly all the gates will unexpectedly crush you.
Level 10 has a scroll and a Ring of Invulnerability.
Level 11 has herbs, a Ring of Strength, and an Amulet of Levitation. The ring and amulet are only good for two doors. They are destroyed when going through the third door.
Level 12 has the object youre after in the dungeon, an Ancient Book.
*fall through several floors
*go through the secret door in the north-east corner
*go three screens west and through a secret door on north wall by the west lamp
*go through the south-west door
*carefully go west just far enough to fight one ghost at a time. Five of them randomly drop from the ceiling.
*get a book from the trunk
*go through north-west door
*get ratty old scroll from the trunk
*in the north-east corner, get on a lift
*use several lifts to get to the top and outside, then fight
*teleport to the warehouse and talk to Fence
*outside, teleport to the hedge maze and enter
*go to the big double doors and enter
*go back between the statues and go to the wizard. After the scene, fight some gargoyles.
*now you must find your way to the outside and return to Fences warehouse
Burners are not timed; you must jump over them.
Fireball triggers are those raised square blocks on the floor.
Trapdoors should always be avoided.
A Portcullis trap looks like a normal portcullis, except that the groove at the backside is darker.
There are five different gargoyle figures, throughout the tower, over the teleport areas:
- A squatting, horned gargoyle is I (one.)
- A slumping gargoyle with arms down is V (five.)
- A sitting gargoyle with flower headdress is X (ten.)
- A kneeling gargoyle with closed wings is L (50.)
- A squatting gargoyle with open wings is C (100.)
BEST ROUTE OUT OF WIZARDS TOWER
- *teleport from room 3 to room 4. Then go two screens right.
- *enter the right teleporter in room 6 and arrive in room 23
- *teleport from 23 to 32. Go one screen right.
- *teleport from room 33 to room 37
- *take the right teleporter from 37 to room 42. Go one screen left.
- *teleport from 41 to room 47
- *take right teleporter from 47 to room 50
- *teleport from 50 to room 53
- *teleport from 53 to room 52. This allows you to avoid the traps in room 52.
- *teleport from 52 to 56
- *teleport from 56 to 58
- *teleport from 58 to 62
- *take right teleporter from 62 to 66. Go left and enter the doorway.
- *teleport from 64 to 68
- *teleport from 68 to 72. Go left and avoid the traps while passing through room 71.
- *teleport from 70 to 75
- *teleport from 75 to 78
- *take right teleporter from 78 to 80
- *take left teleporter from 80 to 84
- *teleport from 84 to 86
- *teleport from 86 to 90. Take right doorway, take another right doorway to 88 and get the herbs from the trunk.
- *teleport from 88 to 93
- *take left teleporter from 93 to 94. Go two screens right to room 96 and get the scroll. Go two screens left to 94.
- *take the right teleporter from 94 to 99
- *teleport from 99 to 101
- *teleport from 101 to 103
- *take right teleporter from 103 to 108
- *take right teleporter from 108 to 109
- *teleport from 109 to 112. Go through the door and go right to 114 and get the scroll. Go back left to 113.
- *teleport from 113 to 115. Go right and through door to 117.
- *teleport from 117 to 118. Go down screen to 120 and get the herbs.
- *teleport from 120 and enter the hedge maze.
This part is huge, compared to the entrance maze, and quite dangerous if youre playing other than very easy (by using the cheat patch.) Watch carefully for the burner as you enter the maze. If you enter a screen with a gargoyle then leave to previous screen, then go back again, the gargoyle multiplies. Try to avoid unnecessary backtracking.
An Archer, Medusa, or Knight cant be hurt or killed. An archer wont shoot if youre right next to it. Dont look directly into Medusas eyes. Sneak past a knight. When entering an area with a trumpet statue, a devil is created. You only have to hit a devil once. A trumpeter wont create a devil if youre close to the statue when you enter the screen.
CRITICAL: Pay close attention to the compass at the top-left of your screen. West is up!
- *go south and take first exit west
- *go north to end then west
- *go south to end then west. Get herbs from chest.
- *go all the way south then west
- *go north and get the scroll
- *work you way back east 4 levels to the bottom
- *go all the way south then west. This is area 2.
- *work your way up west 5 levels and get the scroll
- *work your way back east 6 levels to area 1
- *go north and take the first exit west
- *go north then west
- *go north to area 3A and get the herbs
- *go south then 3 screens west and get the herbs
- *go all the way north then west
- *go all the way south then west to area 3B
- *go north and get the herbs
- *go west, south, west, north, west, south and get the herbs
- *go north then west
*get right in front of the statues down arm and hit the up arrow on your keyboard. The lantern should lower. This opens a secret door in area 1 that leads to area 4A.
- *work your way back east 10 levels
- *go south, west, west. You should see a knight.
- *work you way up west 4 levels
- *go south to end and get the herbs
- *go west to enter area 4B
- *go north, west, south and get the herbs
- *go west, north, west, south, west then all the way north and get the scroll
- *take east exit in same screen
*take next east exit to statue. Get in front of down arm and hit up arrow on keyboard. Lantern should lower. This opens a secret door, in another screen, to tower room 120.
*go up screen, screen right then up screen and get the herbs
- *go screen right and exit the hedge
- *teleport to the warehouse and talk to Fence
- *teleport to Keep E and climb to the top of the wall
- *enter the south door and fight
- *enter the west door and fight
Watch the well deserved ending.
Game Boomers - Game Cheats, and Walkthroughs for Boomers and the rest of you guys!