GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Questions about game making #1064890
04/29/16 01:56 PM
04/29/16 01:56 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Hi everyone. I don't often post here (usually up in the Trading Post) but I've been curious for awhile about game creation, and thought I would post here today. Does anyone know how to begin making games? I'm so in love with them, everything from Hidden Object games, to Nancy Drew and other adventures, to RPGs, and for years I've sort of dreamed about making my own game. Do you know if you need a certain degree, or what classes I would need to take in order to learn the process? I'm ready to jump into my computer screen everytime I play a beautiful game now, and so I think it's time I found a way to learn how to make one! smile

I appreciate any advice and ideas you all might have!

Thanks so much,
Tracy

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
― George Eliot
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1064893
04/29/16 02:25 PM
04/29/16 02:25 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Hopefully someone will be along to give you tips soon. Have you checked out Storycentric? You may be able to use that new program to create games.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1064949
04/30/16 06:40 AM
04/30/16 06:40 AM
Sweden
RebKean Offline
Settled Boomer
RebKean  Offline
Settled Boomer

Sweden
Hi!
There are so many different ways to make games, so I would say that anyone can find their own way.
I myself got so inspired by the Carol Reed games, that I started to make my own. Hopefully I will finish it soon (real clear time limit there lol).

At first I started with the Adventure Maker, but after speaking to Mikael (MDNA Games) I decided to use the Wintermute Engine instead. http://dead-code.org/home/

It all depends on what sort of game you want to make, how much money you want to spend and how advanced it will be and so on. There are many ways, and all of them are the right one!
I hope you find something that suits you. Best of luck! thumbsup

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1064961
04/30/16 10:35 AM
04/30/16 10:35 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Many people use AGS - Adventure Game Studio.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

I understand their forums and support are very good.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1064965
04/30/16 11:34 AM
04/30/16 11:34 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Tracy
Does anyone know how to begin making games?

I would guess the best way would be to download something like AGS (Draclvr linked to it) or Wintermute (RebKean's link).

Quote:
Do you know if you need a certain degree, or what classes I would need to take in order to learn the process?

You might be able to find a game-making class at a nearby community college if you decide you need some guidance. But I think the best way to start is to download a free game engine like AGS and see how well you do with it. Not everyone needs to take classes but some people benefit.

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1065173
05/02/16 05:43 PM
05/02/16 05:43 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Thank you so much, you guys! I really appreciate having some ideas on where to begin! smile

Tracy

― George Eliot
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1065199
05/02/16 10:45 PM
05/02/16 10:45 PM
Sweden
Mikael Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mikael  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
I agree with the above posters that the choice of engine largely depends on which type of game you want to do. You should also take a look at Visionaire Studio:
http://www.visionaire-studio.net/cms/adventure-game-engine.html

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1065236
05/03/16 08:01 AM
05/03/16 08:01 AM
Annandale, VA USA
mbc841 Offline
Settled Boomer
mbc841  Offline
Settled Boomer

Annandale, VA USA
I felt exactly as you did Tracy!! I LOVE Adventure Games, especially the Myst style, 1st person slide-show games - and I'm soooo passionate about graphics! I LOVE the ability to explore a richly detailed room - riffle through drawers and cabinets - and I'm a huge clepto - in games, I pick up anything that's not tied down! LOL!! So I felt as you - I really wanted to actually MAKE a game. I had absolutely NO experience. No experience in coding, graphics, puzzle making, nothing. Then I stumbled upon the AdventureMaker engine - http://adventuremaker.com and its with that engine - (no coding required, but powerful enough to allow some vbscript coding if you want to go the more advanced route) that I made "Harvest" in 2002 and "The Arrangement" in 2004, and now am working on my next game, "The Fate Of It All". I recently took a look at the Wintermute engine after talking with Dan Peach, who did Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting. I LOVED his game - but for me, I guess since I've been an AdventureMaker engine user for so many years, I just didn't feel comfortable trying another engine. But - for me, I'd recommend that you download the free version of AdventureMaker, play the sample demo games that come with it - and just start playing wit it. And Good Luck!!!! smile smile

Visit The Fate Of It All website for demo and updates.
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1065276
05/03/16 12:05 PM
05/03/16 12:05 PM
Canada
StarLite Moon Offline
Addicted Boomer
StarLite Moon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canada
Hi Tracy, one thing I found about making games is, since I've learned how they're made I don't enjoy playing them as much anymore. As far as engines go you have to find what you're comfortable with. I've used P&C DK for my first game Incident At Roanoke which gave me nothing but problems. I tried Wintermute for Hawk Manor but found it a little complicated, also after awhile they ask you to pay for the engine. I tried Adventure Game Studio and liked it the most. It fits my needs.

I'm going to tell you right now, learn how to code, because sooner or later you are going to want to do things in your game that's going to require it. AGS coding is very simple to learn. I hate coding, I'd sooner stick a fork in my eye, but AGS coding is very simple to learn and there are a lot of modules and help on their site you can get. Like I said though, it's all in what you are comfortable using.

I opened a site to teach people how to make games and to get lots of free software to help you out. Click on the link at the bottom of my message it will take you there. You don't need to join to roam around and check out links.

Are you planning on working for a company like Bigfish, if so then you don't do everything yourself. When you work for a company like that you do one thing and that's either, write, code, graphics, animation etc. Well I guess that's about it, but like I was told by a friend, making games is a love/hate relationship and very time consuming. I wish you all the best and good luck, it is a wonderful hobby to get into

Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1065416
05/04/16 01:04 PM
05/04/16 01:04 PM
North Wales, UK
Elentgirl Offline
Shy Boomer
Elentgirl  Offline
Shy Boomer

North Wales, UK
Hello Tracy

I also would recommend Adventure Game Studio (AGS). It's relatively easy to learn to use while powerful enough to make sophisticted games. I have made two full length adventure games with AGS, my most recent (Adventure Island) having both third and first person sections and fully voiced characters. You will also need a good graphics program to create your backgrounds and sprites - either Photoshop or one of the many cheaper clones would be ideal. I also invested in a charcter animation programme to make realistic 3D cahracters, but for most of the animations I used my graphics program. The other thing you will definitely need is a lot of free time. Adventure Island took me five years to complete, and I'm retired! If you want to have a look at what can be achieved, Adventure Island is in the Gameboomers Free Games Galore section.
Good luck,
Elen

You are only as old as your Avatar!
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Elentgirl] #1065418
05/04/16 01:29 PM
05/04/16 01:29 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thank you all for the helpful answers to Tracy's questions. thumbsup

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Mikael] #1065788
05/07/16 02:51 PM
05/07/16 02:51 PM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Thanks, Mikael! I appreciate the link! smile

Hi mbc841! Thanks for your reply to my post! I feel the same way that you do, btw--I'm in love with graphics, with picking up goodies within a game, and generally getting lost within a room or a house, or like a Myst-type of location. SIGH! smile I'm glad that you found a way to make games of your own and I will definitely check out the Adventure Maker program as I begin this journey! Also, now that I know that you have games of your own out there, I'll have to give them all a try--I'm excited for you, especially about your newest game, and I am looking forward to giving it (them!)a try. smile

Thanks so much for your help and your enthusiasm!
Tracy

Thank you Starlite Moon for all of your information and help! I appreciate it, and will keep Adventure Game Studios in mind for a program to try. I have to admit to being intimidated by the idea of learning to code, BUT, of course if I have to along the way, I'll give it a try. smile It's funny that you mentioned not quite enjoying playing games as much now that you are making them as you did before. I've wondered about that myself--especially when I'm lost in a beautiful game and feeling that joy of being a player. sigh.... I guess we'll see how that goes once I get there! lol

I have thought of doing games for Big Fish, btw, because I love the graphics in their HOGs. Not sure how to begin such a thing, but hopefully as I learn things along the way, one day I'll have the talent/skills to work with them or a similar site. I think that would be great someday, as all of the "work" wouldn't be "on me", but either way, I'm sure it'll be challenging!

btw--I didn't see the link to your site in your message, Starlite, so could you please post it again? I'd love to check it out!

Tracy

Hi Elen! Thanks so much for your suggestions! I appreciate that so much right now because I'm at the very beginning of this journey into learning how to make games, and I need all of the help/ideas that I can get! smile The good news is that right now I DO have a lot of free time, so that should help! lol

I'd love to take a look at your game, so I'll check it out as soon as I can. I'm happy for you that you have been able to create a game, btw. I admire ALL of you guys who have done this, and can't wait to get there myself!

Thanks again,
Tracy

Thanks for being here to cheer on the people who replied, Marian! I wasn't able to get online for a few days, so I'm only now getting to reply to all of the wonderful posters! smile

Tracy, delighted by the helpfulness of the Gameboomers members! smile

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 05/07/16 04:06 PM. Reason: combined stacked posts

― George Eliot
Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1067329
05/19/16 09:33 AM
05/19/16 09:33 AM
Canada
StarLite Moon Offline
Addicted Boomer
StarLite Moon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canada
Tracy, have you played Terror Within Hawk Manor, that's my latest game made with AGS. There's a link there to my site, if you have trouble here's a link. There are links to free programs and tutorials on how to use them on my site, take a look around. If you catch on easyto things, then coding isn't that hard. It's hard for me because I have a mental block towards it. Here's the link. Good luck smile

http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/terror-within-hawk-manor-released-t619.html

Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

Re: Questions about game making [Re: Tracy] #1067671
05/22/16 01:35 AM
05/22/16 01:35 AM
Delaware
Tracy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
Thanks, Starlite! I'll check out your game and site asap. : )

Tracy

― George Eliot
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users