GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive - WINNERS ANNOUNCED! #1123207
08/31/17 03:08 PM
08/31/17 03:08 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Since lakerz hasn't come forward, the runner up is Iurii. Please post here and send me a PM within 48 hours *Sept 10 9PM CST* to claim your prize!

The winners are oldbroad, Donald, Kaki's Sister, lakerz and Winfrey!

Please post here and then PM to claim your code! You have 72 hours to claim or a runner up will be announced.

Big thanks to Her Interactive for their generosity!

Her Interactive has provided us with 5 keys for The Young Socratics game Odyssey.

Check out the trailer here.

To enter the giveaway please post here to say you are in and winners will be drawn on Tuesday September 5th 9PM CST and announced shortly thereafter.

You will have 72 hours to check here and claim your prize after announcement by posting here first, then sending me a PM. Any unclaimed prizes will be given to a runner-up.

Quote:
Odyssey is an all-new engaging and innovative mystery adventure game. Help Kai and her family escape their captors on the Wretched Islands – and learn the history of astronomy, mechanics, and scientific reasoning as you read Kai’s journal and solve puzzles along the way! In this unique and science-based game, the player navigates across a group of islands in the Caribbean in search of a 13-year old girl Kai and her family trapped and waiting to be rescued.

The game has an explicit purpose of teaching astronomy and mechanics from the ancient Greeks to Galileo. It does so by taking the player through an intellectual journey as the player is physically navigating through the islands. Gaming is seamlessly integrated with a historical approach to science and storytelling, through Kai’s in-game journal from which the player learns the story and the science content, which are needed to solve the puzzles. Players can expect a significant amount of reading. The game is aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards and is ideal for middle school and high school students and for adults who like to read about science.

A huge thanks to Her Interactive for their generosity.

Happy Gaming!

Ana luck

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 09/08/17 10:14 PM.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123208
08/31/17 03:18 PM
08/31/17 03:18 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
What a great surprise !! bravo

And a big thank you to Her Interactive and to you, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup

Please enter me in the draw.

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123214
08/31/17 03:37 PM
08/31/17 03:37 PM
B.C. Canada
copper Offline
Settled Boomer
copper  Offline
Settled Boomer

B.C. Canada
Wow...another giveaway.
Please enter me in the draw.
Thank you Her Interactive, this looks like a very interesting game.

Copper
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: copper] #1123220
08/31/17 04:01 PM
08/31/17 04:01 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thank you to HeR Interactive and to Ana for the giveaway. wave

Good luck to all who enter. smile

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123226
08/31/17 04:36 PM
08/31/17 04:36 PM
C
CountZero Offline
Settled Boomer
CountZero  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

Im in this time. Thanks so much smile

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123233
08/31/17 05:10 PM
08/31/17 05:10 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Apparently this game was released on Steam back in April (2017) and the developer is "The Young Socratics".

I don't know what HerInteractive has to do with the game unless they bought the rights to publish or distribute it or something.

According to the game's website, the game was a Kickstarter project and Steam Greenlight.

http://theodysseygame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/558110/Odyssey__The_Next_Generation_Science_Game/

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123234
08/31/17 05:11 PM
08/31/17 05:11 PM
NC, USA
fearlessgirl Offline
Shy Boomer
fearlessgirl  Offline
Shy Boomer

NC, USA
I'm in, I'm very curious about the game!

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123236
08/31/17 05:45 PM
08/31/17 05:45 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
This seems to be the Kickstarter page for the game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136822213/odyssey-the-next-generation-science-game

It has very good reviews on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/558110/Odyssey__The_Next_Generation_Science_Game/

You can read about the members of the small development team that made the game at the bottom of the game's webpage

Not my thing because of motion sickness, but I hope the winners enjoy it.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123239
08/31/17 06:13 PM
08/31/17 06:13 PM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
Please count me in for this game giveaway. Looks like a nice change of pace and fun. Linda333....thanks to all.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123240
08/31/17 06:24 PM
08/31/17 06:24 PM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Is this a childrens game? It looks pretty but sounds like its for children but I can't seem to find the age range. It also seems episodic.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: GreyFuss] #1123241
08/31/17 06:45 PM
08/31/17 06:45 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Here is a quote from the description of the game on HeR Interactive's website:

Quote:
The game is aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards and is ideal for middle school and high school students and for adults who like to read about science.

A sequel game is planned.

Game Features (again from the HeR website):

Quote:
An immersive environment for exploration with a mystery-adventure story and science-based puzzles.
Plenty of scientific models within the game environment for investigation and conducting your own experiments.
A journal that reads like a mystery novel, while providing insight into the history of astronomy and mechanics from the ancient Greeks to Galileo, and clues for solving the puzzles.
Chapter 1 covers the origins of science, and the shift from the flat earth of the pre-Socratics to the spherical earth and physics of Aristotle.
Chapter 2 covers the shift from the geocentric universe of Ptolemy to the heliocentric universe of Copernicus and Galileo.
Chapter 3 covers the tussle between Galileo and the followers of Aristotle on free fall motion.
The third chapter ends midway through Galileo’s physics and we plan to continue the story in a sequel game, which would cover the following chapters:
Chapter 4 would cover the mathematics of uniformly accelerated motion as developed by Galileo (1D kinematics).
Chapter 5 would cover Galileo’s ideas about inertia and the mathematics of projectile motion (2D kinematics) .
Chapter 6 would complete the birth of a new physics with the construction of the three Laws of Motion and Universal Gravitation by Newton.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: Jenny100] #1123242
08/31/17 07:03 PM
08/31/17 07:03 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Apparently this game was released on Steam back in April (2017) and the developer is "The Young Socratics".

I don't know what HerInteractive has to do with the game unless they bought the rights to publish or distribute it or something.

According to the game's website, the game was a Kickstarter project and Steam Greenlight.

Jenny, we spoke of it here. They are promoting STEM games.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123243
08/31/17 07:14 PM
08/31/17 07:14 PM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thank you Marion

So it is aimed at the children and if what I am understanding that there are six Chapters and this is just the first?

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: GreyFuss] #1123246
08/31/17 07:54 PM
08/31/17 07:54 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
If I am understanding the description correctly, the present game contains the first three chapters.

Becky also wrote a review of the game for Adventure Gamers, which you can find here.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123250
08/31/17 08:35 PM
08/31/17 08:35 PM
Montreal, Canada
B
bigpsycho Offline
Shy Boomer
bigpsycho  Offline
Shy Boomer
B

Montreal, Canada
i am in smile

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123251
08/31/17 08:40 PM
08/31/17 08:40 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Count me in. I'll give this one a try.

Good luck to those who enter and thanks to Her Interactive and Ana!

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123252
08/31/17 08:42 PM
08/31/17 08:42 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Ana

For some reason I thought "promoting" meant "helping produce" in some way -- not just advertising someone else's games, trying to give the impression HerInteractive is still producing games.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123257
08/31/17 10:43 PM
08/31/17 10:43 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
No Jenny, they did not produce it, but they were kind enough to provide us with 5 keys. And it does have excellent reviews if you enjoy learning while you game!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123261
08/31/17 10:54 PM
08/31/17 10:54 PM
W
wisnoskij Offline
Shy Boomer
wisnoskij  Offline
Shy Boomer
W

Put me in if possible.

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Is this a childrens game? It looks pretty but sounds like its for children but I can't seem to find the age range. It also seems episodic.

It is an educational adventure game that is designed to be possible for children to play. It would make a good supplement to a series of classroom lessons, or just a fun game for someone who learned and forgot most of this stuff decade(s) ago. It is very much edutainment, and suffers for it, but there is also a charming adventure game buried in here as well. It feels like a daycare Age that Atrus would design to teach his kids basic science.

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Ana wave

Wow, I am glad I never became a fan of ND and am not emotionally invested in the series.

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123264
08/31/17 11:26 PM
08/31/17 11:26 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
It sounds like you've played it already, wisnoskij, did you enjoy it?

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123268
09/01/17 12:11 AM
09/01/17 12:11 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Thanks a lot, I am in!

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123317
09/01/17 02:58 PM
09/01/17 02:58 PM
Ohio
michele rose Offline
Graduate Boomer
michele rose  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Ohio
Trailer piqued my curiosity about this game, count me in!

Thanks, Ana and to Her Interactive for a chance to win. smile

Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123327
09/01/17 04:13 PM
09/01/17 04:13 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Quote:
BELLEVUE, Wash., August 18, 2017 – Leading video game publisher and developer HeR Interactive today announced the distribution of Odyssey by The Young Socratics for PC and Mac. Odyssey is an all-new engaging and innovative mystery adventure game. Help Kai and her family escape their captors on the Wretched Islands – and learn the history of astronomy, mechanics, and scientific reasoning as you read Kai’s journal and solve puzzles along the way! In this unique science-based game, the player navigates across a group of islands in the Caribbean in search of a 13-year old girl Kai and her family trapped and waiting to be rescued. Odyssey is available now on http://www.herinteractive.com for $14.99.

“We are thrilled to have partnered with The Young Socratics to bring our fans an all-new mystery adventure game – Odyssey,” explained Penny Milliken, CEO. “Historically, we have never published 3rd party titles on herinteractive.com. However, after meeting the founders of The Young Socratics, playing Odyssey and understanding their vision, it was immediately clear that we have similar goals and ideals as a company. From our first game in 1998, HeR Interactive has been providing fun Nancy Drew mysteries to solve while encouraging STEM skills along the way. From Odyssey’s atmospheric environments to its challenging science-based puzzles, we just knew that our fans would appreciate this title while awaiting the next installment of Nancy Drew.”

“I still remember reading more than 80 Nancy Drew titles, apart from a comparable number of titles from Hardy Boys, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, etc. What I realized later during my Stanford Ph.D days is that the story of science has the same amount of mystery, adventure and intrigue if only it is read properly,” said Omkar Deshpande, Co-Founder. “Like gathering clues from a crime scene and interviewing human suspects to pinpoint the criminal, the science sleuths like Galileo gathered clues (patterns) from the natural world and the starry heavens, came up with a list of ‘suspect’ hypotheses, and conducted investigations via experiments to probe which of them pointed to the secret laws and models governing the real universe. They often did this at the risk of being condemned or imprisoned. We have tried to convey this thrilling intellectual journey through the lens of a 13-year-old girl in Odyssey. We are excited to partner with the creators of Nancy Drew games and hope that this will make a significant contribution to the cause of science education among girls.”

Key features include:

An immersive environment for exploration with a mystery-adventure story and science-based puzzles.
Plenty of scientific models within the game environment for investigation and conducting your own experiments.
A journal that reads like a mystery novel, while providing insight into the history of astronomy and mechanics from the ancient Greeks to Galileo, and clues for solving the puzzles.
Chapter 1 covers the origins of science, and the shift from the flat earth of the pre-Socratics to the spherical earth and physics of Aristotle.
Chapter 2 covers the shift from the geocentric universe of Ptolemy to the heliocentric universe of Copernicus and Galileo.
Chapter 3 covers the tussle between Galileo and the followers of Aristotle on free fall motion.
In the upcoming sequel, the story line will pick-up again and cover the following topics:

Chapter 4 covers the mathematics of uniformly accelerated motion as developed by Galileo (1D kinematics).
Chapter 5 covers Galileo’s ideas about inertia and the mathematics of projectile motion (2D kinematics).
Chapter 6 completes the birth of a new physics with the construction of the three Laws of Motion and Universal Gravitation by Newton.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123336
09/01/17 05:27 PM
09/01/17 05:27 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
This reminds me of another "instructional" type game but my liquid mind (where everything
turns to something - I can't remember) and so I can't remember. It also has that Myst feeling
from what I can see.

I just won the last drawing so time to give others a chance but I'll probably buy it eventually.

Robert

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Giveaway - The Young Socratics: Odyssey from Her Interactive [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1123353
09/01/17 08:11 PM
09/01/17 08:11 PM
Ohio
N
Newgames Offline
Settled Boomer
Newgames  Offline
Settled Boomer
N

Ohio
I am in. Thanks, Ana

Changed my mind - I am out. Good luck to everyone!!!

Last edited by Newgames; 09/03/17 09:53 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 257 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users