GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149554
04/28/18 06:01 PM
04/28/18 06:01 PM
SE Michigan
T
The Haze Offline
Addicted Boomer
The Haze  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

SE Michigan
I constantly replay all the MYST games and Syberias 1 & 2, as well as Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes game. First; I constantly replay them because I really enjoy them. Secondly I can't afford a new computer and my aging one won't run many of the new games

If all the people were heroes, there would be no one to watch the parades.
Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149556
04/28/18 08:40 PM
04/28/18 08:40 PM
M
mbday630 Offline
Settled Boomer
mbday630  Offline
Settled Boomer
M

RebKean, you stated it exactly how I feel. "For me, the games that I keep coming back to, are the ones that feels like a second home. Or an escape maybe. It doesn't matter to me that I have to do things that I have done before. Morrowind and Oblivion are games that I play over and over. Now, it's true that they are not exactly the same each time, but I play them for the atmosphere. I love starting the game, and just walk around and listen to the music for example." That is why I play Simon the Sorcerer 1 so many times. i like to listen to the music, look at the butterflies and snakes and just enjoy the atmosphere. It is like a safe place. Of course, I know the puzzles by now, but, I just enjoy being in that world for a little while.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149557
04/28/18 09:20 PM
04/28/18 09:20 PM
Sweden
Mikael Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mikael  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
After having watched the whole Star Trek original series I thought it was time to play Star Trek: 25th Anniversary from 1992, with the characters from the original series. However, I was put off by the opening action sequence (a shooting scene which I wasn't even able to complete).

I also liked Morrowind and Oblivion, but the fighting got a little too tiresome for me after 20 hours of so (which has happened to me with so many RPG's). I liked Bethesda's Dishonoured 1 & 2 better, of which I played the second before trying my (badly coordinated) hand at Star Trek.

Last edited by Mikael; 04/28/18 09:29 PM.
Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149571
04/29/18 04:14 AM
04/29/18 04:14 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Hi,

I'm glad this topic got plenty of new postings in past few days.

If I summarize your reasons for replaying games here are the main ones I found:

* oldies feel better
* finding or doing something new each time
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

I've been reluctant replaying anything so far, and I find it interesting trying to convince myself using your arguments.

I started gaming in 2006 when I was well over 40 years so I didn't start with the oldies and even today have played only couple of games older than that (thanks to GOG). The era of the game doesn't matter to me, I find 'good games' among old and new but by my opinion they must have decent graphics, blurry or pixeled images are definitely not for me.

I prefer long games and finding or doing something new each time doesn't motivate me too well. For Steam games you can often see achievements and if I see in the end that I've got 85 per cent or more that 'book' stays closed. I play mostly story driven games that leave less space for totally free exploration.

Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.

Computer limits and games are a hard subject. I understand the goal to make technically more advanced games each year but I wouldn't like to buy a new computer every two or three years. I'm accepting the fact that I must buy a new 'top quarter' computer every five to six years if you want to play the newest game titles too. That concept has worked well for two upgrades now. But what's more annoying is that Microsoft doesn't offer better backward compatibility. That couldn't be too difficult if they cared for that but their business is to sell new and not keep anything old alive, sadly. It's kinda sad when it limits our playing our gaming either technically or economically.

Still have couple of dozen 'new games' in my virtual shelf waiting for their turn, thanks to 'constant' sales and bundles sold. So not expecting any replay soon.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149590
04/29/18 12:28 PM
04/29/18 12:28 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
"Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject."

I am having trouble getting the "Quote" thing down. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

Anyway, regarding your paragraph about atmosphere, unfortunately that is one thing I find doesn't hold up well in the replay. For me, those "sweet memories" of the atmosphere aren't quite the same in some of the games I've replayed frown .

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1149609
04/29/18 03:39 PM
04/29/18 03:39 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
* oldies feel better
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don’t find many of the above apply as far as I'm concerned.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oldies only “feel” better if they “are” better !!

And it is definitely possible to find something new during a replay.

In an Adventure game I, personally, look for a strong storyline and a friendly interface – both of which, if there, can contribute to a good atmosphere.

Graphics are not so important to me - which is one reason I can so very happily re-play ancient games yes

As for buying a new computer every five years. I simply couldn’t afford to do that. Nor have I found it necessary.

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: TJL] #1149611
04/29/18 04:27 PM
04/29/18 04:27 PM
Sweden
RebKean Offline
Settled Boomer
RebKean  Offline
Settled Boomer

Sweden
mbday630 It is indeed a safe place, and I'm happy that you also have found it. I think we all need somewhere to escape to, and I'm grateful for knowing where my refuge is.

Mikael There are some fighting in Morrowind/Oblivion, but I have found a way to get around this. I mean exept lowering the difficulty slider. I found that the "Chameleont" magic thing, is fantastic when you use a lot of it. You can actuallty make yourself invisible! So when I just want to walk around in the wilderness, without getting a heartattack from a giant minotaur, I just put on my invisible clothes and have a stroll. smile

TJL Why not think about it as an experiment? Try an re-play a game or two, and see how it feels. We are all different though, and my reasons for playing games over and over, are totally based on my emotions. I just get drawn back because my feelings tell me to go back. I'm sure this will not work for everyone.
I'm like that with most things in life. I prefer the things I know I will like, so I don't like to try new foods or things like that. I also re-watch TV-shows that I love. Some more often than others. My hubby is not like that for example. So I'm forced to try new things once in a while. lol
So perhaps you won't like old games that you've already played, but you will never know until you try either. Best of luck!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: RebKean] #1149712
04/30/18 02:19 PM
04/30/18 02:19 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I'm doing well with KQ6 and enjoying it very much happydance

Might go for Dragonsphere or maybe Riddle of Masterlu as my next replay ....

So many great oldies to choose from - and so many of them now available "ready tweaked for modern machines" at GOG.

YEAH !! bravo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1149763
04/30/18 11:28 PM
04/30/18 11:28 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I am having trouble getting the "Quote" thing down. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

You need to remember to close the quote.
Without the spaces between letters, you put [q u o t e] or [q u o t e=who-you're-quoting] before the quoted text.
Then you put [/q u o t e] after the quote. Don't forget the / in the [/q u o t e].
Then you can use "Preview Reply" to see if it looks right.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

The following is a repost since the original was lost in thread merging.

Originally Posted By: TJL
But there are 'millions' of other games just waiting to be played so why bother?

Because sorting through "millions" of new games to find a single one I'd enjoy rarely turns up anything. With a game I've played before, I know what I'm getting. I may forget almost everything about a game, but I'll remember whether I liked it or not.

If I summarize your reasons for replaying games here are the main ones I found:

* oldies feel better
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

I've been reluctant replaying anything so far, and I find it interesting trying to convince myself using your arguments.

The reasons I replay are more about so few of the types of games I enjoy being made any more.
If you like a wide variety of games, can handle dexterity requirements, don't mind gimmicks like "achievements" popping up in your face, and other 4th-wall-breaking features, and don't get motion sickness, you have more to choose from than I do. If you only found one or two new games a year that you were interested in playing, you'd be replaying your older ones too.

The era of the game doesn't matter to me, I find 'good games' among old and new but by my opinion they must have decent graphics, blurry or pixeled images are definitely not for me.

Then the era of the game DOES matter to you, because it affects the type of graphics that were possible in games from that time. I tend to "get used to" older graphics from the 1990's. As long as the game is drawing me in in other ways, I stop noticing any shortcoming in the graphics.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1149767
05/01/18 02:34 AM
05/01/18 02:34 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Jenny - thanks for trying to explain about the quote thing but I don't really get it. I use the "Quote" or "Quick Quote" at the bottom of the post box. I don't see a difference between the two. If I want to quote the whole post it works but not for just a part of the post. Then if I try to remove the part I didn't want to quote, it gets messed up.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150015
05/03/18 01:24 PM
05/03/18 01:24 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Have you finished Scratches : Director's Cut yet, oldbroad ??

And if so, what's the next game on your agenda ??

grin grin grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150019
05/03/18 02:02 PM
05/03/18 02:02 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If I want to quote the whole post it works but not for just a part of the post. Then if I try to remove the part I didn't want to quote, it gets messed up.

[q u o t e] before quoted text.
[/q u o t e] after quoted text.

So in your previous message where you said

"Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject."

Anyway, regarding your paragraph about atmosphere, unfortunately that is one thing I find doesn't hold up well in the replay. For me, those "sweet memories" of the atmosphere aren't quite the same in some of the games I've replayed frown .

you'd want this:

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

[q u o t e=TJL]Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.[/q u o t e]

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

(without the spaces between the letters in [q u o t e] and [/q u o t e].
Which would come out looking like this:

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150028
05/03/18 02:52 PM
05/03/18 02:52 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Mad - I took the day off from Scratches yesterday hoping to avoid frustration lol. I'm going to try to finish it up today.

As for what is next? I'm not sure. I planned on The Vulture but prior to that I planned on some other games that I never got to. After a time, my mind changes so I'm not sure yet but I will let you know as soon as I know wink.

Jenny - I'll work on it!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150030
05/03/18 03:17 PM
05/03/18 03:17 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Is The Vulture an older "top down view" game ??

[ That's the only one I've ever heard of laugh ]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150035
05/03/18 03:38 PM
05/03/18 03:38 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
It is this game: https://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Paris-V...&dpSrc=srch

On my CD, the title just says The Vulture.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150121
05/04/18 02:02 PM
05/04/18 02:02 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Oh, right !! smile

When I googled "The Vulture" I only found that old "top down view" game.

The one you have seems to be definitely superior to that laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150143
05/04/18 04:53 PM
05/04/18 04:53 PM
M
mbday630 Offline
Settled Boomer
mbday630  Offline
Settled Boomer
M

I am replaying Tales of a Hero now and I forgot most of it. Thank goodness for the walkthroughs! I forgot how hard it was and how much pixel hunting there is in the game. The bad thing about the game is that it is not alt minimize friendly. I have to exit the game to look at a walkthrough. which is good and bad in a way - I try harder to find things on my own before I have to exit the game - but, when I do finally look at the walkthrough, I find that I read ahead in case I will have trouble later on.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: mbday630] #1150145
05/04/18 05:19 PM
05/04/18 05:19 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I no longer own that particular game but I do remember thinking it was pretty difficult when I did play it !!

luck and enjoy yourself hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150491
05/09/18 12:50 AM
05/09/18 12:50 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I started Return to Mysterious Island tonight, first time playing. Lots of trying everything on everything/everywhere. We'll see.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150494
05/09/18 01:07 AM
05/09/18 01:07 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
A good game, oldbroad, with a decent story and a mixture of puzzle difficulty yes

Hope you enjoy it thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150535
05/09/18 01:08 PM
05/09/18 01:08 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I had already peeked at the walkthrough when I ran into the monkeys throwing stones at me and could not scare them away (and don't think I ever would have gotten them). I thought maybe there might be some strategic hint but I saw I didn't really have to scare them at that point. I especially don't like using the walkthrough with non linear games because I see things I'm not ready to see, but they are also too hard for somebody to give you hints and help. Too hard to know what a person has done or not done.

I fired up my XP this morning and am going to load The Arrangement to see about a replay of that also.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150563
05/09/18 06:18 PM
05/09/18 06:18 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I must have liked the Mysterious Island game well enough because I still have it and I don't hang on to games I doubt I'll re-play smile
[But can't have liked the sequel. I didn't keep that !!]

Don't seem to remember ever playing "The Arrangement" though.
I'll have to go look and see what it's about grin

EDIT :
Finished KQ6 and have now loaded Blade Runner yay Just have to hope I make it through the bomb scene eek

Last edited by Mad; 05/09/18 09:10 PM. Reason: Moved On to Next One ....

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150584
05/10/18 12:20 AM
05/10/18 12:20 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Ah, going Darkside on us for awhile huh Mad?

I am enjoying Return to Mysterious Island quite a bit but really thought I hit a dead end (even though one of the reviews says you can't). I was trapped in Granite House for the longest time. I had tried to kill a robot with my bow and arrow but couldn't do it and did not have what I needed to load my rifle or the cannon. I went through item after item in inventory and at the fireplace trying to get something to work. Finally I tried the exit with the bow and arrow again and got the robot fairly quick that time. Found a way to load my rifle, killed another robot with that and then my game froze on me. Had to hit my power button to get out of it but was able to stop my system from shutting down or restarting. (Must have hit the power button just right to get to the desktop and then it gave me the option to cancel the shutdown.) Anyway, I hope the game is okay when I go back in. Fortunately, I had just saved before
that. I think I had the game open too long and it overheated or something.

Never got around to loading The Arrangement!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: oldbroad] #1150588
05/10/18 01:19 AM
05/10/18 01:19 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Glad you are enjoying the game, oldbroad.
It's one I haven't re-played as yet but I have no doubt I will at some time smile

Blade Runner is a 1997 Adventure game which, however, I HAVE re-played. And a couple of times.
It's a splendid one !! laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) [Re: Mad] #1150589
05/10/18 01:27 AM
05/10/18 01:27 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hm. Sounds like an action game. Google says it is point and click adventure.

Have fun with it Mad!

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kaki's Sister), 301 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users