GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167372
10/27/18 06:09 AM
10/27/18 06:09 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Out of interest, after reading through this thread, I just installed the game on my Win7 machine to see what might happen.

[I have the DVD version which I bought when it was originally released but have never got round to playing.]

It took a very long time to install and the version of DirectX that was on the disk was also installed.

Once I had cursor control I moved the character a little then saved. Moved the character again and then loaded the save I had just made. And all was fine.
[Everything else appears to be working perfectly, too.]

EDIT : I do have the patch to try, though, in case that happy state of affairs doesn't continue yes

My computer specs are :

Operating System
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77-D3H (Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
Hanns.G HL196 (1280x1024@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (CardExpert Technology) 32 °C
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-22ERMA0 (SATA) 30 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA) 26 °C
465GB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB Device (USB (SATA)) 29 °C
Optical Drives
HP DVD Writer 1270t
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Last edited by Mad; 10/27/18 09:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention patch stuff

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167386
10/27/18 09:53 AM
10/27/18 09:53 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Another edit: I tried to do the toolkit download but got a 404 error - not found - download no longer available. Well, that was when I clicked through the Steam posting. I googled and found the download but it does say it is no longer supported.

Do you have a link to the file you downloaded? Maybe what you downloaded is a different version of the file? Adeptus Mechanikum's post is from Sept. 1, which isn't that long ago, and I was able to download the ApplicationCompatibilityToolkitSetup.exe file from
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352
just now so the link should still be good.

I do have the patch in the same folder, I just don't know where it's actually installing. I put all the steam\steamapps\common\game in there with A Vampyre Story. Still nothing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I don't see any exact instructions from someone who got it working in that Steam thread, but the readme for the patch I downloaded (which is for the DVD version) says this:
Originally Posted By: readme
The suggested installation path is the same as with the game. Selecting a different path will add "\A Vampyre Story\" after the selected path. Make sure to correct this, if you renamed the actual game directory.

So it appears that you can adjust the path during the process of running the patch, which means you shouldn't have to worry about putting the file in the same folder before running it -- provided you have the same patch. Did the patch you used come with a readme?

Well, I'm trying the toolkit but used 64-bit administrator and it says that that program only fixes 64-bit applications, not 32-bit applications and that I should use the 32-bit administrator. Sound right?

Make sure you have version 5.6 of the toolkit. "Adeptus Mechanikum" didn't say whether he was using 64-bit or 32-bit, but most people have 64-bit and he didn't mention anything about only fixing 64-bit applications.

If you haven't used the "compatibility troubleshooter" that's built into Windows, you could try that. One of the posters at Steam said the following (though I'm not sure he actually tried it):
Originally Posted By: Capt. Obvious
If that does not work, right-click on "Main" and click "Troubleshoot Properties" or "Troubleshoot Compatability". and then say that "the program used to run on an older version of Windows". Then change the compatability to Windows XP. After that, double-click "Main".

One problem with my version of the game (from DotEMU) is that the DirectX 9 installer didn't appear to run, so I may be missing the specific versions of DirectX 9 files the game needs. That could be why mine isn't working -- I double-click the file, the mouse cursor indicates something is trying to load for a couple of seconds, and then gives up. I haven't played many games on this installation of Windows 7, and the ones I have played are either made for Windows 7 or use DOSBox or ScummVM, so it's quite possible I'm missing DirectX 9 files. I'm not sure if that applies to your problems since you installed the disc version (which should have the DirectX 9 files the game needs included with it).

As for why you'd need to install DirectX 9 when you've installed it before for different games,
https://www.howtogeek.com/323523/why-does-every-pc-game-install-its-own-copy-of-directx/

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Mad, it's interesting you're able to get it running.
You're the only person I know who has Windows 7 Enterprise, though I don't know if that has anything to do with the game running.

Did you (or your tech) ever at any time in the past use the "fix" to allow SafeDisc and SecuROM to run?
The "fix" is described here
https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-...-8-7-and-vista/

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Jenny100] #1167390
10/27/18 10:03 AM
10/27/18 10:03 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Jenny100 smile

I can't see why having the "Enterprise" version of Win7 should make a difference as to how a game might run. But then what do I know ???? whistle

And no. Neither my Son in Law (who builds my machines) nor I have ever used that fix.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Mad] #1167392
10/27/18 10:28 AM
10/27/18 10:28 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Mad
I can't see why having the "Enterprise" version of Win7 should make a difference as to how a game might run. But then what do I know ????

Windows 7 "Enterprise" is strictly a business class version of Windows 7 and not available for purchase by home users. Home users may be able to purchase "Pro" and "Ultimate" versions of Windows 7, but those aren't the same as "Enterprise."

There may be differences in what programs are allowed to run on the "Enterprise" version. There are certainly other differences, even between "Enterprise" and "Ultimate."

Some people will swear up and down that only SafeDisc was blocked by security updates in Windows 7. Other people (like HowToGeek) say both SafeDisc and SecuROM are blocked. Some users say they're able to play SecuROM-infected games only after applying a NoCD, which certainly suggests there is a problem with SecuROM. So it depends on who you ask. Add to that that Windows 7 Enterprise may have slightly different restrictions from the versions of Windows 7 that home users are able to purchase.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167409
10/27/18 02:57 PM
10/27/18 02:57 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Jenny, that's where I downloaded the toolkit so that is the one I have. In the installed folder it has both a 32-bit and a 64-bit Compatibility Administrator. I used the 64-bit because my computer is 64-bit. So is it safe to use the 32-bit? Apparently the game is 32-bit? I don't know enough about this "bit" stuff so didn't want to go ahead and use the 32-bit without asking.

Right now I have been trying to work with the Steam version. I had uninstalled the disc version after the patch didn't work (and again, I am thinking I didn't do something right with that). The problem I'm having with the patch is that it doesn't "run" it just keeps installing. Maybe I still have the path wrong but I just don't know.

I may install the disc to my XP again and transfer the patch over there to try it. I just haven't been able to find my disc that I've been using to transfer stuff from my Win 7 to my XP.

Mad, the game won't even launch for us, let alone play. Are you going to play it now that you've got it installed?

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167421
10/27/18 05:51 PM
10/27/18 05:51 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Jenny, that's where I downloaded the toolkit so that is the one I have. In the installed folder it has both a 32-bit and a 64-bit Compatibility Administrator. I used the 64-bit because my computer is 64-bit. So is it safe to use the 32-bit? Apparently the game is 32-bit? I don't know enough about this "bit" stuff so didn't want to go ahead and use the 32-bit without asking.

The compatibility updater operates on the 32-bit exe, not Windows itself, so it should be fine to use the 32-bit compatibility administrator.

Right now I have been trying to work with the Steam version. I had uninstalled the disc version after the patch didn't work (and again, I am thinking I didn't do something right with that). The problem I'm having with the patch is that it doesn't "run" it just keeps installing. Maybe I still have the path wrong but I just don't know.

You mean it never finishes installing?

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167422
10/27/18 06:12 PM
10/27/18 06:12 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
A Vampyre Story Patch.exe (application). When I right click and "open" or if I double click, it just goes to the install wizard, every time, even though when I say yes and accept it and it installs again. It says that "A Vampyre Story has been patched on your computer".

I don't see any other .exe to use and the main.exe still does not open the game. So, either I'm missing something or it is not working.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167423
10/27/18 06:21 PM
10/27/18 06:21 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's what the patch does for me too, oldbroad. I think it's working because I mistakenly forgot to direct it to the actual folder the game is in under The Adventure Company and it installed directly to the C drive and made its own folder.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167424
10/27/18 06:50 PM
10/27/18 06:50 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I did that at first though too Drac. I didn't know to direct it to the Steam folder. I first just installed it to what showed and it made it's own folder I'm pretty sure as I do see an A Vampyre Story folder in the C drive.

So, your game is working? In Windows 10 or 7? From the disc right?

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167426
10/27/18 06:58 PM
10/27/18 06:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I wasn't able to get it working on my Windows 7 computer.
I did get the patch to install to the location where the game exe was located (which was in a "game" subfolder of the Vampyre Story folder), and the patch prompted me about choosing AA or Standard, but the game still wouldn't start afterwards.

The Compatibility Toolkit didn't work either -- at least not with the options the guy on Steam suggested.

I also tried installing a version of DirectX 9, but it said I already had a newer version.

I might try getting the game to run on a computer with XP, but I've uninstalled it from the Windows 7 computer.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167427
10/27/18 07:02 PM
10/27/18 07:02 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I was just coming in to say that the Compatibility Toolkit instructions posted by the Steam person are not what shows up for me when I try it. There are 2 screens requiring information not shown in the Steam post and I don't see anything about backing up my database so I'm cancelling out of it.

Thanks for checking it on your end Jenny.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167428
10/27/18 07:14 PM
10/27/18 07:14 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I was just coming in to say that the Compatibility Toolkit instructions posted by the Steam person are not what shows up for me when I try it. There are 2 screens requiring information not shown in the Steam post and I don't see anything about backing up my database so I'm cancelling out of it.

The toolkit had lots of other options besides "Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation" that the Steam guy recommended, but figuring out what might have made a difference on my particular computer was a bit much. Even if I did manage to find something that worked on my computer it might not work on yours. I think it's easier just to use an older computer -- which is why I have one.

If you want to know more about the steps in using the Application Compatibility Toolkit, this guy has a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbjlrdkvUk

He only shows general steps in using it though -- nothing specific to A Vampyre Story.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167433
10/27/18 08:06 PM
10/27/18 08:06 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yes, lots of other options and then different screens after that with more options that were not mentioned in the Steam post.

Thanks.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1167443
10/27/18 10:19 PM
10/27/18 10:19 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Are you going to try it on your XP computer?
If you do, let us know how it goes.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Jenny100] #1168221
11/05/18 12:49 PM
11/05/18 12:49 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Well, I've played quite a chunk of the game now and it's still behaving perfectly and I'm enjoying it.
But I can't locate the saved games anywhere woozy

I've looked in all the usual places - for hidden and unhidden files - checking for "Autumn Moon Entertainment, "Crimson Cow" or "Focus" .... and found zilch rolleyes
[I can't think what other name check for.]

I even found an old thread by MaG - but her save game route wouldn't have been for Win7 (??) and it was via "The Adventure Company".
My version doesn't mention The Adventure Company and a search on my Win7 machine didn't find anything at all by them, anywhere.

That made me wonder if I bought a "UK" release - which might be different in some way - and might help to explain why it will play on my computer ??

Anyone got any ideas ?? witch

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1168229
11/05/18 01:46 PM
11/05/18 01:46 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Maybe you do have a different version. Mine is DVD Version DPV 1.0 and is made in Canada. It mentions Crimson Cow, The Adventure Company, JoWood Productions, and Dreamcatcher but I don't see any reference on it to Autumn Moon.

Oops - now I see the Autumn Moon reference!

Last edited by oldbroad; 11/05/18 01:47 PM.
Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Mad] #1168230
11/05/18 01:48 PM
11/05/18 01:48 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
That made me wonder if I bought a "UK" release - which might be different in some way - and might help to explain why it will play on my computer ??

There was a UK DVD release that was different from the US DVD release -- at least the box was different. You can see a picture of the back of the UK box here
https://www.mobygames.com/game/a-vampyre-story/cover-art/gameCoverId,130558/

Mobygames doesn't seem to have a picture of the US DVD release, but it says "The Adventure Company" on the back, to the right of where the specs are listed. As you can see, the UK release doesn't list The Adventure Company -- only Crimson Cow, Focus, and Ascaron.

So that affects the location of the game's installation folder and possibly other aspects of the game. Download versions would be different from either DVD release as regards installation folder, etc.

If you check the save games at
http://www.nicouzouf.com/en/?id=avampyrestory
they seem to be made up of two .bmp files and a .bin file and they claim the save folder is
A Vampyre Story\game\assets\scripts\
I assume that is a subfolder.

So that doesn't look like either saves or a save folder and it would be easy to miss it. I would expect a save folder to be called "saves" and not "scripts."

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Jenny100] #1168244
11/05/18 02:48 PM
11/05/18 02:48 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Jenny100 smile

Yes. That DVD case showing at the "Moby Games" link you provided IS the one I have.

And just now I followed the "A Vampyre Story\game\assets\scripts\" path you found and GOT to my saved games.
They are all just called ".bin files".
[I wouldn't have recognised them as saved game files.]

Plus, weirdly, although I made some saves earlier today, none of those files show today's date. In fact the latest one listed is 3rd November.
[But I know my computer does have the correct time and date.]

HOWEVER .... You have done it for me yet again laugh Solved my techie problem praise And, as always, I am very grateful. Thank you SO much.
urock

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Mad] #1168262
11/05/18 04:18 PM
11/05/18 04:18 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
And just now I followed the "A Vampyre Story\game\assets\scripts\" path you found and GOT to my saved games.
They are all just called ".bin files".

So you don't have any .bmp files in there?
I wonder if that's because of a difference between your version of the game and whatever version the nicozouf saves were made from.

Plus, weirdly, although I made some saves earlier today, none of those files show today's date. In fact the latest one listed is 3rd November.

It's certainly a weird save system.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Jenny100] #1168278
11/05/18 07:57 PM
11/05/18 07:57 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
No. Just ".bin".

But I did notice that the saved games at that site are from a patched version of the game.
And my game is not patched.

Could that make a difference. ?

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1168280
11/05/18 08:04 PM
11/05/18 08:04 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
But I did notice that the saved games at that site are from a patched version of the game.
And my game is not patched.

Could that make a difference. ?

Who knows.
They may not be using the UK version of the game, or they may not be using a DVD version at all, and that could be the difference.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: Jenny100] #1168318
11/06/18 09:38 AM
11/06/18 09:38 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Yes. So many possibilities !! laugh

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1175977
01/29/19 02:48 AM
01/29/19 02:48 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
So, I went ahead and tried this again in my XP with and without the patch but still no luck. frown

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1175995
01/29/19 09:59 AM
01/29/19 09:59 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Getting this game to work properly seems to be a problem for a lot of people including those running Windows 7. Check out this Steam discussion.

Re: A Vampire Story [Re: oldbroad] #1176008
01/29/19 11:27 AM
01/29/19 11:27 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I played A Vampyre store on my Windows 7 computer just fine - but that was before Microsoft issued the security updates that block certain forms of DRM. Now, I can't play it and the patch did NOT remove the DRM. I sure wish someone would issue one.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 526 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users