GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116899
02/03/05 08:25 PM
02/03/05 08:25 PM
NE of Packerland, WI
TuesdayNext Offline
Addicted Boomer
TuesdayNext  Offline
Addicted Boomer

NE of Packerland, WI
Jenny100 said:
Quote:
I want to get the %$@! thing over with as soon as possible.
Indubitably! lol

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe.
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116900
02/03/05 08:29 PM
02/03/05 08:29 PM
The Garden State
LadyKestrel Offline
Adept Boomer
LadyKestrel  Offline
Adept Boomer

The Garden State
Carolyn,
Unlike action sequences, you didn't have to be a good aim to shoot. You used the bolt like every other inventory item and just clicked in the right spot. The cut scene did the rest.

Carpe chocolate.
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116901
02/04/05 02:56 AM
02/04/05 02:56 AM
Kansas City, MO
JesseGolem Offline
Settled Boomer
JesseGolem  Offline
Settled Boomer

Kansas City, MO
I'll admit it. I like action, but it shouldn't overshadow the puzzlin. While playin the recent Jack the Ripper game when I got the gun from Abigal I was just itchin ta pull thee trigger. To bad the game was just teasing me. ARRG! Anyhow, I think adventure games that include action should make the action completly optional as to apease both kinds of gamers. And if you love both of the genres like me this could possibly add replay ability! Hold up, me creativitys flowin! Gotta nourish it! Happy Gamin everyone! happydance

Playing: Barrow Hill,Lights Out, Authur's Kights,Titanic, Traitors Gate,Escape from Monkey Island,Haunting Ground.
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116902
02/04/05 06:39 AM
02/04/05 06:39 AM
Philadelphia
dale3mike Offline
Addicted Boomer
dale3mike  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny100:
In GK1 there's one time where you have to get something in an office while a person isn't looking. Later on you are chased around by evil mummies in some sort of tomb.

Quote:

if I know there are any timed sequences in a game, I'll go straight to a WT to get me through it.
I do that too, not because of anxiety but because I want to get the %$@! thing over with as soon as possible.
In this case, I'll print the walkthrough before I even do the install.

Mike

currently:
Playing: SecondLife and Mystonline
Reading: The Mote in God's Eye
Listening to: Something (Peter Greenstone)
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116903
02/04/05 10:58 AM
02/04/05 10:58 AM
NE of Packerland, WI
TuesdayNext Offline
Addicted Boomer
TuesdayNext  Offline
Addicted Boomer

NE of Packerland, WI
Quote:
In this case, I'll print the walkthrough before I even do the install.
I've done that too Mike. If I know there are timed sequences or I can die, I skim through the WT to see where it says "Save here" and then I highlight it with a marker so that I know that I don't have to worry about it until that point in the game. I remember doing that with the WTs (I think MaG's) for the Cameron Files games.

tuesday next

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe.
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116904
02/04/05 12:06 PM
02/04/05 12:06 PM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Quote:
Originally posted by looney4labs:
Quote:
Originally posted by wysewomon:
[b] . One death is it.
WW
WW, are you sure of that? I wonder if on Trail's Planet they get more than one? Are they clones? Does that count? And how bout monky's--since they seem to be a whole new species (see other thread for this astounding announcement)--what is their life cycle like? laugh rotfl [/b]
Okay, okay--you only get one as far as I KNOW. And as far as I know you don't get to re-load and start over from before you made your worst mistake! Unless reality REALLY IS like "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."

Tuesday Next et al: There's also that snake sequence in GK1. And I, also, will often just go straight to a WT (or hints) to get me through a nasty action sequence--my blood pressure just skyrockets as soon as it starts and I can't even function. Even *with* the answers I have to give over the mouse to my husband for that stuff.

You know, I didn't used to be that way! I used to play shooters, even! And lots of games with jumping from one platform to the next over a pit of fiery lava and stuff. And I guess I still could do that and maybe even enjoy it, but I just don't want that stuff in my adventure games.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116905
02/04/05 12:46 PM
02/04/05 12:46 PM
Virginia's wetland dimension
Salar of Myst Offline
Addicted Boomer
Salar of Myst  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Virginia's wetland dimension
Generally, I agree with Becky's definition. Most action adventures make quick movement or combat a bigger part of going on than the puzzle solving.

This is even true of my beloved Zelda games, which have quite a few puzzles!

I don't have a lot of confidence with timed bits in adventure games either. Too often the controls are sloppy, the time is short, and there's no real 'training' for the moment when it comes. As a result, its actually tougher for me to get past some of these bits, than in a full-on action game!

If I havent read or heard about the challenge, my first 'warning' is often 3 seconds ahead of the 'restore' screen. lol This is coming from someone who plays some platformer titles, the occasional rpg, and a few of the more family-friendly action adventures.

Personally, I regard Uru:Chronicles as an adventure game with 'action' motion. You had an 'easy' area to learn how to move your character, no combat (unless you took on the cones lol ), and only a few 'crucial' jumps to make. Uru is about exploration, puzzling & study. I love it laugh

Broken Sword 3 was skirting the edge of action adventure. You mostly evaded being shot, but in the end you did 'fight.' Many times I initially failed to move in the right direction or quickly/stealthily enough and poor George (or Nico) bought the farm. Only some of those were also puzzle-related. Emphasis was still on the story & puzzles in BS3 though. You still had a number of things to figure out. So while I had quite a few hair-pulling moments in it & needed a save to get past one area ~ it still felt like an adventure to me.

Susan wave

Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116906
02/04/05 12:52 PM
02/04/05 12:52 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
WW, I agree with you--I too like to play console shooters and platformers, but I don't want any of that stuff in my adventures--when I play adventures I want a whole different experience.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116907
02/04/05 01:11 PM
02/04/05 01:11 PM
CNY
trudysgarden Offline
Addicted Boomer
trudysgarden  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CNY
Quote:
Carolyn,
Unlike action sequences, you didn't have to be a good aim to shoot. You used the bolt like every other inventory item and just clicked in the right spot. The cut scene did the rest.
smile I know that Lady K, I just meant I was so sorry I had to kill those guys cry

I kind of liked the way The Messenger was set up like that, too. All you had to do really was figure out what tool or weapon you'd use and the game played it out.

happy trails,

Carolyn

www.spyglassguides.com Pop in and say hi!
Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116908
02/04/05 02:32 PM
02/04/05 02:32 PM
Manchester England
indy_monkey Offline
Shy Boomer
indy_monkey  Offline
Shy Boomer

Manchester England
Hi Jenny

It has to be when your hands move quicker than your brain bravo Or my ten year old on the PC next to me, seems to be moving in slow motion. wave

Pete

Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116909
02/05/05 12:23 AM
02/05/05 12:23 AM
Michigan, USA
ramona Offline
Addicted Boomer
ramona  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan, USA
I have to agree with other folks here. If there are a ton of tims puzzles or fighting, then I would classify the game as Action/Adventure.

Re: Is it adventure or action/adventure #116910
02/05/05 12:41 PM
02/05/05 12:41 PM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Quote:
Originally posted by Salar of Myst:

I don't have a lot of confidence with timed bits in adventure games either. Too often the controls are sloppy, the time is short, and there's no real 'training' for the moment when it comes. As a result, its actually tougher for me to get past some of these bits, than in a full-on action game!

Susan wave
That's a really good point. Often it seems like adventure games that include action elements don't go to the trouble to make the action elements coherent and workable: they just stick them in there! Like, "well, it's an adventure game, so we don't really have to spend time on this..." Except, if that's the attitude they should just forget it, because it's annoying to action and adventure afficianados both. Part of what raises my blood pressure is how often action elements in adventure games just pop up with no warning, and all of a sudden you're just supposed to have this skill. As opposed to "real" action games where you get to practice making the 2-foot leap or shooting really slow creatures before you're required to make the 30-foot leap while fighting super-fast mutant ninjas.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users