GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Adam's Venture #1187372
05/28/19 08:29 AM
05/28/19 08:29 AM
Mass
Bluto Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Bluto  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Mass
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if the above game is sold here In the U.S. in box form any more
or do you have to down load every thing now I down loaded The original from steam
And it crashed 3 times in 3 different places. no more down loaded games for me.
I found out even steam games crash.

Thank You

Bluto.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Bluto] #1187375
05/28/19 08:55 AM
05/28/19 08:55 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Hi Bluto, I have moved your post over to Glitches for the time being - did you write to Steam and get a refund on the game? Otherwise, maybe someone here can also help you troubleshoot the problem you had with the game crashing.

I see the Adam's Venture trilogy of games being sold on eBay, but the seller is in the United Kingdom - and I don't know if the box just provides a Steam key or an actual CD.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Bluto] #1187381
05/28/19 10:40 AM
05/28/19 10:40 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I found a thread from July 2016 in Steam forums
https://steamcommunity.com/app/400360/discussions/0/359543951721992059/
where someone said one of the Adam's Venture games stopped crashing when he used Windows 7 compatibility mode. So you could try that if you're using Windows 8 or 10.

Originally Posted by Bluto
Does anyone know if the above game is sold here In the U.S. in box form any more or do you have to down load every thing now.

I don't think there was ever an official release on disc for the US.
I think it was only ever available as an import.

Computer games haven't had official releases on disc in the US for many years now (with the possible exception of some casual game collections). If you find a computer game with actual game files on the disc in the US, you can be sure it's old stock, at least 10 years old, or possibly an import. Some Kickstarters offer the game on disc, but you pay a premium for them.

Computer games were still released on disc in Europe and the UK for years after they were no longer sold in the US. I don't know if they still are though. Remember the so-called "physical release" of Syberia 3? It was actually just a Steam installer on the disc and no game files on the disc. I don't consider that a real "physical release" -- it's like buying a car and there's no engine in it -- just looks pretty in your driveway and you're supposed to be satisfied with that.

If you look at the picture of the back of the Adam's Venture Trilogy box, they don't mention an "internet connection" as a requirement, so it is probably the full games.
***picture of back of Adam's Trilogy box at Mobygames***
Notice the publication date is 2013 -- 6 years ago.

I down loaded The original from steam
And it crashed 3 times in 3 different places. no more down loaded games for me.

I doubt the boxed version would do better.
Don't blame technical problems on Steam when the game itself is the problem.

I found out even steam games crash.

Steam only supplies the games.
They don't make them.
If the game doesn't work, Steam will refund, but restrictions apply.
You can check their page at https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Jenny100] #1187389
05/28/19 01:24 PM
05/28/19 01:24 PM
Mass
Bluto Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Bluto  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Mass
Hi Jenny 100

Thanks for the quick reply I don't think I will download any more games from steam
I will just settle for buying from e bay if I see any I like it's less of a problem e bay
should still have boxed games available if not I will see if any one at game boomers
has some for sale.

again thank you

Bluto

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Bluto] #1187392
05/28/19 01:49 PM
05/28/19 01:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Did you try the Windows 7 compatibility mode?
You never said if you have Windows 8 or 10.

eBay will certainly have some boxed games, mostly used games but some old stock that is unopened.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Jenny100] #1187634
05/30/19 10:06 PM
05/30/19 10:06 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

Originally Posted by Jenny100
Computer games haven't had official releases on disc in the US for many years now (with the possible exception of some casual game collections). If you find a computer game with actual game files on the disc in the US, you can be sure it's old stock, at least 10 years old, or possibly an import. Some Kickstarters offer the game on disc, but you pay a premium for them.

What about The Cabinets Of Doctor Arcana? It came out on DVD less than a year ago. Also, there are about a dozen Nancy Drew games that are less than 10 years old that were out on DVD.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Uncle Reg] #1187637
05/30/19 10:57 PM
05/30/19 10:57 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Uncle Reg
What about The Cabinets Of Doctor Arcana? It came out on DVD less than a year ago.

What I heard was that it was on DVDR, not a real DVD.
Do you have it?
If so, is it on a real DVD or is it on a recordable DVDR?

Also, there are about a dozen Nancy Drew games that are less than 10 years old that were out on DVD.

I was forgetting the Nancy Drew games. But the latest Nancy Drew game came out in 2015, four years ago. HerInteractive is sold out of the DVD version of Sea of Darkness. Most of the other Nancy Drew games at HerInteractive's shop are also sold out of the DVD versions and only for sale as downloads. HerInteractive do not seem to be printing any more DVD's. You might find some old stock at Amazon.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Bluto] #1187666
05/31/19 09:25 AM
05/31/19 09:25 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
It will be interesting to see if Midnight in Salem is offered as a download only. They have done surveys before asking players about whether or not they care about there being a DVD version, and all the responses I have seen have said that they do.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Marian] #1187709
05/31/19 06:26 PM
05/31/19 06:26 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Marian
It will be interesting to see if Midnight in Salem is offered as a download only. They have done surveys before asking players about whether or not they care about there being a DVD version, and all the responses I have seen have said that they do.

Probably not the answer they wanted to see.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Jenny100] #1187766
06/01/19 10:16 AM
06/01/19 10:16 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted by Jenny100
What I heard was that it was on DVDR, not a real DVD.
Do you have it?
If so, is it on a real DVD or is it on a recordable DVDR?

Yes, I have it. It appears to be a DVD, but I fail to understand the relevance of that distinction. It's still "a computer game with actual game files on the disc", regardless of whether that disc is a DVD or a DVDR.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Uncle Reg] #1187966
06/03/19 04:20 PM
06/03/19 04:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I fail to understand the relevance of that distinction. It's still "a computer game with actual game files on the disc", regardless of whether that disc is a DVD or a DVDR.

The relevance is the expected longevity of the medium.
The dye layer in burned DVD+R and -R are more apt to disperse and make the disc unreadable. The pits and lands in a pressed DVD have better longevity, assuming the plastic of the disc itself isn't defective.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Jenny100] #1188140
06/06/19 10:29 AM
06/06/19 10:29 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

From what I have read on the subject of DVD R expected longevity, even the more conservative estimates express that longevity in terms of decades, with the general consensus being from 30-100 years; so disc longevity is definitely not an issue for a game that was just released 8 months ago.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Uncle Reg] #1188147
06/06/19 12:03 PM
06/06/19 12:03 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I've never had a pressed CD or DVD go bad and become unreadable.
I have certainly had CDR's and DVD+R's go bad and become unreadable.
They've all been stored at room temperature -- no extremes of temperature or any other reason for them to deteriorate prematurely.

It's a fact that dye disperses over time, making a burned disc harder to read.

And I don't care if some manufacterer's estimate says a disc will last 30 to 100 years when I've seen for myself that a CDR or DVDR became unreadable in less than 5 years.

I've also seen estimates of 7 to 10 years for burned discs, or even 2 to 5 years, which is a far cry from 30 to 100. Customers' personal experience does not back up that 30 to 100 estimate.

There are forums like ***this one*** where people tell their personal experience with their burned music CD's becoming unreadable. Keep in mind that read errors on a music disc are far less critical than on a data disc.

Evein if that 30 to 100 years was accurate, should I care if "most" writable discs remain readable for more than 30 years if the writable disc I care about is no longer readable in less than 5 years? Pressed DVD's are much more reliable.

There is no consensus on how long burned discs will last. There is too much variability, too many people having wildly different results even when the discs are all named brands and are burned and stored under the same conditions.

By all means buy whatever you want, and if you only have a choice between a burned DVDR and a Steam download I can certainly understand avoiding Steam. You can always back up the information on a purchased DVDR to a second DVDR and increase your chances of preserving the data. But it's not the same as a pressed DVD and there is no guarantee the disc will last as long as 30 years.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Jenny100] #1188233
06/07/19 10:33 AM
06/07/19 10:33 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

None of that changes the fact that The Cabinets Of Doctor Arcana is "a computer game with actual game files on the disc" that was released just 8 months ago.

In addition, all of this discussion presumes that the game disc is actually one of those recordable DVD formats. I compared it to some of my Nancy Drew and a few other DVDs, and I can't see any difference; and other than your reply to my first post in this thread, I have not been able to find any information mentioning that subject.

Re: Adam's Venture [Re: Uncle Reg] #1188241
06/07/19 12:27 PM
06/07/19 12:27 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
None of that changes the fact that The Cabinets Of Doctor Arcana is "a computer game with actual game files on the disc" that was released just 8 months ago.

By that logic any game anyone downloaded and burned to disc is "on the disc."

In addition, all of this discussion presumes that the game disc is actually one of those recordable DVD formats. I compared it to some of my Nancy Drew and a few other DVDs, and I can't see any difference; and other than your reply to my first post in this thread, I have not been able to find any information mentioning that subject.

Maybe it really is on a real pressed DVD and is an exception to the "print-on-demand" DVDR's and CDR's that are sold at Amazon, eBay, etc.

Since you are the expert, and you've found one (two if you go back to 2015) adventure game that was released on DVD, please continue posting all recent adventure games on DVD that you find and where to purchase them. I'm sure many of us who want games on DVD will be interested.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (LadyKestrel, 1 invisible), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users