GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Steam issue(s) #1195029
08/28/19 09:53 PM
08/28/19 09:53 PM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
I have bought many games from Steam and also from GOG. My question is regarding my games from Steam. In the last while I have had several games that will not run for me. I have checked the stats and I believe they should play without issue. I have requested a refund on some of them and been given one. However they mentioned I have had several refunds and their site is not to buy and try a game and then ask for a refund.
That is not what I was doing. Any game I buy I want. If the game has a demo I will play that first. Most don't offer a demo unfortunately. I was asking if anyone else has had this problem with some of their games.
I have played several games that seem to be more sophisticated than some of the ones that aren't working on my computer. For example Layers of Fear 2 is running just fine. I don't want to have any problems with buying games from their site but this issue is puzzling me. Steam does say they can't offer support for games the developer should do this. So I was wondering if it is possible that the game(s) that are not running well for me
could be a problem with the game itself not my operating system? It seems odd to me that some games with the same requirements are running o.k. Just a thought. Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by linda333; 08/28/19 10:00 PM.
Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195031
08/28/19 10:10 PM
08/28/19 10:10 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
The issue may not have anything to do with your operating system, but rather your computer system specs. Do you make sure your computer can run the games? In particular, do you have a dedicated video card and not one that is integrated?

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195035
08/29/19 03:56 AM
08/29/19 03:56 AM
MA
jboliver Offline
Settled Boomer
jboliver  Offline
Settled Boomer

MA
When I'm not sure if my computer can run a certain game, I check Can I Run It . It gives you both minimum and recommended requirements. That way, I don't buy a game I can't run. Sometimes it can be just one small difference in the CPU, video card or memory needed from one game to another that can make one unplayable.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195056
08/29/19 09:30 AM
08/29/19 09:30 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by linda333
I have played several games that seem to be more sophisticated than some of the ones that aren't working on my computer. For example Layers of Fear 2 is running just fine. I don't want to have any problems with buying games from their site but this issue is puzzling me. Steam does say they can't offer support for games the developer should do this. So I was wondering if it is possible that the game(s) that are not running well for me
could be a problem with the game itself not my operating system? It seems odd to me that some games with the same requirements are running o.k. Just a thought. Thanks for any ideas.

As long as you have 64-bit Windows 7 or later, the operating system would not be the problem. Since you can run Layers of Fear 2, and Steam lists a 64-bit operating system as one of the requirements to run Layers of Fear 2, we can assume you have a 64-bit version operating system.

Also the reason a game won't run may have little or nothing to do with your computer specs. It may have to do with your antivirus or some other program running in the background. Or it could be an incompatibility with your video drivers (especially on a laptop), or with DRM (some games include additional DRM beyond the Steam client itself).

If you list the games that wouldn't work on your computer along with your computer specs (video card, RAM, processor, and whether it's a laptop, small form factor computer, all-in-one, or full size computer) we may be able to figure out if your specs are too low for any of them or if the problem is something else.

On the listed specs for some games you sometimes see "laptop versions of video card may not be supported" or words to that effect. Laptop video cards are made to use less power than the regular versions, and will use different drivers. Some laptop cards have discrete video memory and some don't. So if you're using a laptop, or one of those small form factor computers or all-in-ones that uses a laptop video card, that may explain why some games don't work.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: Jenny100] #1195057
08/29/19 09:48 AM
08/29/19 09:48 AM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
Thank you so much for all the information. Where do I find can I run it? if I want to test a game. I don't recall seeing that option when purchasing or just looking at a game. Thanks. I will most likely be upgrading my computer as Windows 7 support is ending at the end of this year. I am not sure what happens if I don't upgrade to windows 10.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: jboliver] #1195058
08/29/19 10:00 AM
08/29/19 10:00 AM
MA
jboliver Offline
Settled Boomer
jboliver  Offline
Settled Boomer

MA
Originally Posted by jboliver
Just click on the link ( the words "Can I Run It"). It will take you to the site.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195059
08/29/19 10:06 AM
08/29/19 10:06 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It would be really helpful for us if you could list your computer specs and computer make and model as Jenny suggested.

What happens after Windows 7 support stops is that you will no longer receive security updates. Just like when they stopped supporting XP, you really should take the computer off-line to be safe. Depending on your computer specs, make and model, it may not be wise to upgrade to Windows 10 on it and a new computer would be the best way to go.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195062
08/29/19 10:26 AM
08/29/19 10:26 AM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
Thanks again. I have now bookmarked the site can I run it? My plan is to replace my computer as suggested. Hopefully in late fall.

Re: Steam issue(s) [Re: linda333] #1195067
08/29/19 11:04 AM
08/29/19 11:04 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you plan on doing gaming on the new computer, be sure you do NOT get one with integrated graphics. I'd suggest coming here first and we can help you pick one out.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, manxman), 248 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users