GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196814
09/16/19 05:49 PM
09/16/19 05:49 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hi Jenny. Thank you for very direct, simple answers.

What I meant about the closeness of the 2 connections is that it doesn't look like the heads of the connectors will fit together in the space. Not sure how to say that, but like how you cannot use two outlets next to each other on a power strip because the plugs are too big and block access to one of the other outlets on it.

My comment about the internet connection is because of what Draclvr wrote: "4K is VERY high definition and not a lot of people can support it because their internet connection is not good enough. I have a 4K TV, but my measly WiFi isn't fast enough!"

I'll have to check the XP out. I'm not really sure what kind of connection(s) it has.

EDIT: If I'm looking at the right spot on the XP (which is next to where the monitor is plugged in) there is a S-OUT and a AV-OUT. Don't know what those are.

Also, regarding the power supplies, eCollege has 650 or 750 and some higher. No 700. Which would you think is better?

Last edited by oldbroad; 09/16/19 06:22 PM. Reason: added info
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196818
09/16/19 06:25 PM
09/16/19 06:25 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by oldbroad
What I meant about the closeness of the 2 connections is that it doesn't look like the heads of the connectors will fit together in the space. Not sure how to say that, but like how you cannot use two outlets next to each other on a power strip because the plugs are too big and block access to one of the other outlets on it.

HDMI cables are pretty slim. At least mine are. If you have one, try plugging it in next to the other connection on your monitor. I don't know of any monitor where you can't attach the cables to connectors that are next to each other.

My comment about the internet connection is because of what Draclvr wrote: "4K is VERY high definition and not a lot of people can support it because their internet connection is not good enough. I have a 4K TV, but my measly WiFi isn't fast enough!"

I think Draclvr is talking about a situation where she'd be using Wi-Fi instead of a cable to connect the 4K TV to the video card.

Most people who are enthusiastic about 4K are young people with perfect vision and who think they can see a difference between regular 1080p (1920x1080 resolution) and 4K.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

There are YouTube videos explaining why people can't actually see in 4K. I know I can't.

I'll have to check the XP out. I'm not really sure what kind of connection(s) it has.

Well, if it only has a DVI connection you don't want to get a monitor that only has D-Sub and HDMI. Make sure you know for sure which connector type you need.

Also, regarding the power supplies, eCollege has 650 or 750 and some higher. No 700. Which would you think is better?

Get the 750.
Like Draclvr said, it's good to have headroom. The power supply will usually last longer if there is headroom.

If I'm looking at the right spot on the XP (which is next to where the monitor is plugged in) there is a S-OUT and a AV-OUT. Don't know what those are.

Look at the plug that's plugged into the monitor. That's the one you'd use if you got a new monitor. It may be D-sub, but could be DVI.
S-out might be S-video out, which might go to a TV. Does it look like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Close-up_of_S-video_female_connector.jpg
AV-out sounds like it's one of those circular RCA jacks, also not something you'd attach to a computer. Does it look like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Composite-cables.jpg

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196822
09/16/19 06:58 PM
09/16/19 06:58 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
So, the question is... are you planning on using this monitor on BOTH computers at the same time and they will be sort of next to each other?

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196825
09/16/19 07:32 PM
09/16/19 07:32 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Okay, thank you.

So, the XP only has the D-sub monitor connection. (Yes Jenny, that is what those other connections look like.)

Drac, preferably I will have both computers hooked up to one monitor but only be using one computer at a time. Just don't want to have to keep changing the hook up. (Discussed this somewhere earlier in this thread.) I will use 2 different monitors rather than have to keep changing it out but I really don't want to do that either.

750 watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 modular 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED
or
750 watt EVGA SuperNOVA P2 modular 80 PLUS PLATINUM CERTIFIED ??

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196832
09/16/19 07:59 PM
09/16/19 07:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
preferably I will have both computers hooked up to one monitor but only be using one computer at a time. Just don't want to have to keep changing the hook up.

It's standard for a monitor to automatically switch to whichever input it receiving a signal. So if you shut one computer off and turn the other one on, the monitor will automatically change to the computer that's on.

750 watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 modular 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED
or
750 watt EVGA SuperNOVA P2 modular 80 PLUS PLATINUM CERTIFIED ??

Both have 4.5 stars out of 5 at Amazon.
SuperNOVA G3 at Amazon
SuperNOVA P2 at Amazon

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196833
09/16/19 08:05 PM
09/16/19 08:05 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's a good setup. Some monitors even have a switch that lets you switch between monitors even if they both are on.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196836
09/16/19 08:22 PM
09/16/19 08:22 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
If I buy a new monitor, do I have to get one that says 4K for it to compliment the video card?

Also, why do the monitors list operating systems? Don't they work with Windows 10?

I actually like this monitor because all the connectors are on the side, rather than on the bottom where you can't see them AND the brightness or whatever buttons are all right on front. The ones on the monitors I have now are not where I can see them or know what they are so they never get used. And I like the USB ports on it. But it doesn't show Windows 10 or 4K.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB238Q-...1568682581&s=electronics&sr=1-13

(I'm just looking. I don't know. Getting tired and overwhelmed again.)

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196838
09/16/19 08:35 PM
09/16/19 08:35 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you like this monitor, then just stick with it! Just keep in mind that you are using a high end video card with a very old monitor.

And if you DID decide to get a new one, then no, unless you plan on using 4K, you don't need to get a monitor that can use it. Like Jenny says, it's mostly for the young crowd who think they need the best of the best!

This is the one my friend just got. It has both a VGA (older analog port you are using) and an HDMI port. But your old one may be just fine for YOU! In fact, if you like it, then just keep using it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVL2D2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196842
09/16/19 09:28 PM
09/16/19 09:28 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
No Drac. I didn't mean I like the monitor I have. I meant I like the one in the link (until I start looking at reviews of course). Both the monitors I use now are fine but very hard to get to connections and any monitor buttons.

Display Port: 1.4 with DSC or HDMI: 4K60 Support So neither of these connections mean I need something special?

I'll probably just stick with what I'm using for now as long as it will work. I'll just have to buy a HDMI cable. I knew I should have bought the 2 pack when I bought one for this monitor. Then I'd have an extra now.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196844
09/16/19 09:40 PM
09/16/19 09:40 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yeah, that would be convenient for connection. I don't think I would like all my cables sticking out of the side of the monitor though.

If you stick with the old monitor, it doesn't have a display port connection. As long as it has HDMI, you'll be OK.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196849
09/16/19 11:06 PM
09/16/19 11:06 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yep. I think that's the plan. Stick with the old monitor for now and buy a HDMI cable. I was actually hoping to try the display port connection as I was reading that they are better.?

This monitor with my Win 7 has the cable connections on the back but the one in the kitchen with my XP and soon to be Win 10 have the cable connections on the lower edge of the monitor which is why I had to sit on the floor to look at them. I pulled the monitor to the edge of the table and got underneath it more or less. Not very convenient! And neither has good monitor setting buttons or whatever they are/do. I just don't use them.

Whew! All day on this again but at least I do think I know what I'm getting now. It is so exhausting to me though.

I've also been looking at some different stands/carts to try to raise the new computer up a little higher off the floor but most that I see are probably going to be too small. I think I still have one extra stand on wheels that might work but I was looking at this one that had adjustable height that I could bring it up a little higher but it looks like it might be too narrow. I even looked at little dollies and plant stands. Has to fit where I want it and also be okay for the computer. No real luck though. I think I'm going to put the XP on top of the table once I move my non-working printer off of it. The XP is not too big so will be better up there than the new one but I am still not really sure about how the set up is going to work.

THEN, I have to hope I can get my internet hooked up somehow. The equipment I have now is 8 years old and I keep losing my connection. Not losing service; just my connection. I hope I can just get new equipment and I hope I can figure out how to set it up. I really don't want anybody to have to come in my house and I keep worrying that they are going to tell me they can't connect me for some reason! Then I'll have a new computer and nothing to do with it.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196850
09/17/19 12:15 AM
09/17/19 12:15 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Would anything like these work? I have something similar to the second one. Mostly, so I can move it so I can vacuum under it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=computer...mp;tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_i82eawwp8_p

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196881
09/17/19 11:41 AM
09/17/19 11:41 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks Drac. Amazon is where I've been looking. That first one in the second row is the one that is height adjustable but may be too narrow between those bars, and I think it says it only supports 19 lbs??? though I think some reviewer said different.

I've looked at quite a number of them already. Is yours that kind of X shaped one then? The ones I have now are like the third one in the second row.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196904
09/17/19 04:17 PM
09/17/19 04:17 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
This one? It says it supports up to 60 pounds.

Adjustable Height Computer Cart

Mine is more like this one.

Computer Dolly

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196912
09/17/19 04:53 PM
09/17/19 04:53 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yes, that one. I swear somewhere I saw 19 lbs which I did think sounded strange. Must have mixed it up with one of the many others I looked at.

I would not mind a dolly like that if I could find one in the right size, for both my space and the computer. The one pictured in your link is only 15.7 inches long. Most of the cases are 18 to 21 inches long. And I haven't measured the space where I'll put it since I haven't seen one to buy yet.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1196914
09/17/19 05:30 PM
09/17/19 05:30 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I have quite a large ATX form factor case and it is only a little over 17.5" long. About the longest the large ATX cases get is 18". A 21" case would be one of the absolutely giant EATX cases made for massive water cooling systems. Mine does hang over about an inch on each end. No biggie. I just want to be able to roll it away so I can clean under it.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198059
10/01/19 05:42 PM
10/01/19 05:42 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Is this the right cable to buy to connect to my monitor? Male to male?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SSD...316-9ee2-1087ae69c7a0&pd_rd_wg=pHC6X

I bought this one before but can't tell what is the difference other than price (and maybe that male to male?).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by oldbroad; 10/01/19 05:48 PM.
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198071
10/01/19 06:49 PM
10/01/19 06:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Yes you'd want a male-to-male HDMI cable for between a monitor and a video card.

Male to female would look like this
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B01D5H8ZI8/qid=1569973672

You'd probably only want a male-to-female HDMI cable to use as an extension cable -- if your cable wasn't long enough.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198082
10/01/19 08:14 PM
10/01/19 08:14 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks Jenny.

Now, I need some advice/opinions. This is hard for me to explain so it's going to be kind of long.

I first got DSL/U-verse internet in 2011. I have a router and modem. I read the instructions and figured out how to set it up myself in my other Windows 7 computer and then somehow hooked this windows 7 computer to it also.

After less than a year I thought something was wrong with the modem (what the real problem was had nothing to do with the modem) and I called AT&T and they sent me new equipment. I never used this equipment because I figured out what the real problem was. So I am currently using equipment from 2011 and have an extra set of equipment that is just as old but not used.

Around 2 years ago I was losing my connection a lot, mostly in certain weather. AT&T didn't want to believe there was a problem on the line in the alley but when my phone had so much static on it that we could barely hear each other, they came out to check it. They kept telling me I needed new equipment, but sure enough the line was exposed somehow and rain and wind were causing problems. It was fixed and worked fine for around a year or so. Then I started having problems again but I couldn't connect it to the weather.

I've been living all this year with this problem of losing my connection. I have to unplug the modem to let it cool down and then plug it in again. Mostly these days it only stays on for an hour or so. Some days it will stay on though for 10 to 20 hours (very rare). I don't know why it varies so much. I tried the other unused modem (but not with the other unused router). The modem never connected to my computer and I didn't know if I was supposed to do something in the computer or what and was afraid to mess around with it for fear of totally losing internet. I've been looking into buying a new computer all year so thought I might as well wait to get the internet fixed when I get the new computer because I don't know if I will know how to hook it up anyway.

Well, I ordered the computer last week. Today I called AT&T to ask them to send me new equipment. Before I felt they were pushing it but now they won't just send it. They have to send somebody out to look at my current equipment and my lines and I don't know what all, or why. I could barely understand the woman and found myself getting very frustrated. I first started to say no to a service call but then the thought of having to call back again (trying to get through the machine to a person and then that person is in billing so then you have to wait for a tech and then you can't understand them and they don't listen to you) made me say ok to a service call, but now I'm having second thoughts again which is where I need your advice/opinions.

Should I let the person come out and see what they say and maybe have to have them back out again after I get the new computer? Even if the computer is here when they come, I do not believe it is even going to be set up yet.

Should I cancel the appointment (providing I can get through to somebody) and wait for the new computer and try to use the old but unused equipment to see if I can figure out again how to set it up and see if it works? I know I don't want to try to hook up the connection I have now since I do know it does not work well.

I'm sure this all sounds stupid to you but I am really concerned about this. I just don't know which way is better. I just wish they would have sent me new equipment and I could have seen whether or not I could figure it out with the new computer.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198087
10/01/19 08:44 PM
10/01/19 08:44 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yes, yes, yes... please allow them to come out and get you hooked up. You should really not be using equipment that is that old. If your modem is overheating, that is definitely NOT normal. You really need to let them come out and sort this out for you.

If they can come out and get everything working for you once and for all, it should matter what computer is connected to it. Turn on a new computer and allow it to connect... enter any password if needed and you're good to go. I've done this so many times for other people.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198091
10/01/19 09:35 PM
10/01/19 09:35 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
So, you think I should let them come and see if I can get my internet fixed up now even though I won't have the new computer hooked up yet?

Just let them fix it for this old computer and then worry about hooking up the new computer when I'm ready?

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198092
10/01/19 09:43 PM
10/01/19 09:43 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Absolutely. Let them sort out your issues. It will be SO much easier to hook the new one up if you do.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198093
10/01/19 09:48 PM
10/01/19 09:48 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Okay. I was just thinking it might be better to start off fresh on the new one.

But, this "Turn on a new computer and allow it to connect..." won't just happen. I do not have wi-fi or wireless. I'll have to set up a connection somehow like I did in this computer 8 years ago. Not sure if I'll be able to do that.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198094
10/01/19 09:56 PM
10/01/19 09:56 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
So, your modem isn't WiFi, correct? And the new computer doesn't have a WiF adapter, correct? If it's the computer, that's easily remedied with a USB WiFi adapter you can get at Wal Mart. But if you are intent on having a wired connection, then that's even easier... just connect an ethernet cable from the computer to the modem. Done. No passwords etc.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198096
10/01/19 10:05 PM
10/01/19 10:05 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I currently have a wired connection and am assuming it will stay that way.

When I set up the internet in 2011, I set it up on my other Windows 7 which no longer works. But I did have to make some kind of network connection with this computer using a USB key (I think) and I'm pretty sure there was a password involved. It did not just plug in and work. Unfortunately, I don't really remember HOW it worked.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users