GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
computer crash and issues #1198452
10/05/19 12:37 PM
10/05/19 12:37 PM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
Yesterday I was playing a game on Steam. 0ne I had played before. For some reason when I tried to close out the game it froze and shut down my computer.
When I turned my computer back my icons on my screen had enlarged and when I clicked on one or two of them they added that icon to my screen as well. So now I had 2 0r 3 icons instead of one. I tried to put them in the recycle bin and finally got rid of the extra icons but it took a few tries. Also the icon for Steam had changed, it still said Steam but wasn't the usual icon. I decided to go on the internet and try the computer etc. I did get on but not when I try to sign in
to any bookmarked site it won't let me. It basically just does nothing. Also I can't type anything in my search engine. I tried again and again and all it does is
bring up a rectangle shaped line to the right of my screen that says search. I can't type in that area either. Also when I click on the new Steam icon sometimes it goes to Steam other times it brings up my home page on the internet. I ran 2 virus checks and it said there were no threats. Does anyone know what I can try to get my computer up and running again? I may have to bring it to the computer shop I use but I was hoping to avoid that as I am using Windows 7 Home Edition and need to upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of December. I also want to get a new gaming system as my is out of date now but didn't want to have to do that right now. Was waiting until the middle of December or so as we have other expenses (car etc.) Any help gratefully accepted. I am now on my husbands lap top. Thank you...I did check my screen resolution and it hasn't been altered or changed.

Last edited by linda333; 10/05/19 12:41 PM.
Re: computer crash and issues [Re: linda333] #1198453
10/05/19 12:50 PM
10/05/19 12:50 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

Originally Posted by linda333
When I turned my computer back my icons on my screen had enlarged and when I clicked on one or two of them they added that icon to my screen as well. So now I had 2 0r 3 icons instead of one. I tried to put them in the recycle bin and finally got rid of the extra icons but it took a few tries. Also the icon for Steam had changed, it still said Steam but wasn't the usual icon.

That sure sounds like a virus.
Having icons on your screen look larger after a crash is fairly common after a game that uses low resolution crashes before returning your desktop to normal resolution.

But having icons replicate and having strange icons is definitely not normal after a crash.
Then you're having all those other weird problems.

Since your antivirus doesn't detect anything, it's not going to do you much good.

I think you need to take it to the computer repair shop. If your antivirus can't get rid of it, it doesn't sound like a problem the average person can fix.

Originally Posted by linda333
I did get on but not when I try to sign in
to any bookmarked site it won't let me.

Not a good idea to do that when your computer is infected.
It may be sending all your passwords to a thief's remote website.

If you have access to another computer that isn't infected, you should use that to change the passwords of every website you tried to log into.

Re: computer crash and issues [Re: linda333] #1198454
10/05/19 12:58 PM
10/05/19 12:58 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Can't add anything more to what Jenny said. I don't know what anti virus you are using, but it sure sounds like you have an infection. I'd also suggest taking it in to your computer repair shop.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, 1 invisible), 489 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users