GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
New laptop #1220041
06/15/20 01:59 AM
06/15/20 01:59 AM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi I would like your advice on buying a new laptop or notebook as they say now. Can you tell me the tech stuff I need.to know.
I will be needing it for visiting my daughter in Lanzarote ,so back and forth on the plane, I need it to play my games from Steam and GOG .
Plus how do I transfer my steam and GOG account to the new one.
I know I am a complete klutz with this stuff, this laptop I am using at the minute is great, but too heavy for traveling,
Regards
Maggsie

maggsie
Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220065
06/15/20 08:25 AM
06/15/20 08:25 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
What is the brand and model of the laptop you have now? How much does it weigh? What kind of gaming do you do? What is your budget?

Getting something light and capable of gaming is not going to be cheap!

You won't transfer anything. On a new computer, you would just sign in to your accounts and download any of your games.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220087
06/15/20 01:05 PM
06/15/20 01:05 PM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Draclver Thanks for your reply Here is the details I have found out.

It weighs nearly 5 lbs.
HP Pavilion
Processer - intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6200 cpu @ 8-30 Hz 2.40 GHz
Installed memory -8.00GB . 7.84 GB usable
System Type 64-bit operating system
Name Desktop -OHPHREY
My usage is the usual Online shopping. Emails .Facebook,
Games are mostly downloads from Steam and GOG
My budget is about £250 to £300
I have just been looking on Amazon and the reviews ,are not really helpful with my gaming.
With my daughter living in Lanzarote I fly over about 3 to 4 times a year (This pandemic excluded) So I need something light and easy to carry back and forth and be able to play my games on the plane. It being a 4 and half hour flight duration.

I hope this information will give you some guidance, to be able to point me in the right direction
Kind regards
Maggsie

maggsie
Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220088
06/15/20 02:22 PM
06/15/20 02:22 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
But I really need to know what kind of gaming you do. Although even new adventure games are requiring more of a video card, if you play other more demanding games, you will need a better video card. But if you don't play these kinds of games, you might be able to get a decent tablet type which would be light and still play simple games.

I looked at several laptops and they all weigh in the vicinity of 5 pounds for one with a good stand alone video card. That isn't much of a budget for a laptop which will play games, but I will do more looking. Most of them push $1,000 USD.

EDIT: Sorry, Maggsie, I just spent about an hour looking on AmazonUK and I simply can't find anything that cheap that would be any better than the one you have now - especially since I still don't know what kind of gaming you do. The best ones to fit your needs were $600 on up.

Last edited by Draclvr; 06/15/20 03:00 PM.

Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220092
06/15/20 04:14 PM
06/15/20 04:14 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by maggsie
Hi Draclver Thanks for your reply Here is the details I have found out.

It weighs nearly 5 lbs.

5 lbs. is very lightweight.
You're not going to do much better than that unless you get a tablet or super-thin laptop.
You have to be careful of tablets though, because most of them don't run regular Windows and may not work with your games.

Avoid "Windows 10 S" if you want to play games on the tablet.
You need a tablet with Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro if you hope to play games on it. So, Windows 10 "Home" or "Pro" but not "S"

I did a search for gaming tablets and the only one I saw on this page was the Microsoft Surface Pro.
https://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tablet/

The other tablets on that page only ran IOS or Android, which won't run Windows versions of games. Unless you want to re-purchase all your games you don't want a tablet that can only run IOS or Android versions.

Casual games and other games with low system requirements should run on a Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. They won't be better than your current laptop, but a tablet does weigh less. Check prices.

Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220095
06/15/20 04:38 PM
06/15/20 04:38 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Winfrey has a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro and a Core i7 processor. She is able to play games quite nicely on it as long as they aren't too demanding. She even got a powered DVD drive she connected via USB to load some of her disk games on it. It only weighs a little more than a pound... but they are also VERY pricey. ASUS makes the Zen 13" laptops that run around 2 pounds, but they run at least $750 on up. And that was at AmazonUK.

As I said, I was just unable to find anything in your very low price range. As Jenny say, 5 pounds is not very much as far as laptops go. And to go lighter and get something as good as what you already have, you are going to have to spend a LOT more.

Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220120
06/16/20 04:09 AM
06/16/20 04:09 AM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
WOW ! Thanks for that great wealth of information you are absolute Stars . I guess I am going to stick with the one I have. Its pointless to buy something that wont work the way I want it.
The games I play are Broken Sword type and Julia among the stars. Da Vinci puzzles games. I am playing at the moment Morning Star, Descent in to dead rock. Tree of Life. Those sort of games. I don't like games with shooters monsters and warfare stuff.
Thanks again you at gameboomers are so good with all the advice. You are who I turn to .
Well done

The very kindest of regards
Maggsie

maggsie
Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220142
06/16/20 09:11 AM
06/16/20 09:11 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Then you would be fine with your shared graphics processor. But to get something like that which is much lighter and more portable is going to cost quite a lot. Now if you had about £800 to spend, you'd be good!

Re: New laptop [Re: maggsie] #1220156
06/16/20 01:39 PM
06/16/20 01:39 PM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks Draclvr. £800 is out of my reach I will just have to lug this on the plane LOL
Thanks for all your work looking out for me So grateful You have saved me £200
Best regards
Maggsie

maggsie
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Koala, flotsam), 184 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users