GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Odd game marketing question #123760
01/23/03 02:59 AM
01/23/03 02:59 AM
USA
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer
Advpuzlov  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
I think the whole idea of downloaded chapters results from the desire (necessity) of having some income while writing a full length game. Myself, I would at least consider buying chapters, but only if at the end I could have sent to me an honest to goodness DVD (preferably) or the required number of CD's for the entire game. I'm not about to rely on my hard drive to preserve anything.

There is another possibility. I have a CD writer on my HP Pavilion. If the downloads (which I have trouble with because I am with AOL and on an ordinary telephone line modem and have memory problems) could be in such a fashion that everything necessary for installation could be in one folder, so I could copy it onto a CD for preservation, then that might work for me. Of course, the fact that I wouldn't make multiple copies and sell them to my neighbors, doesn't mean that some sneaky rascal might not.

Maybe you could send an installation CD which would need to be in place before the downloaded installments could be run to give you more security. Then, when all the chapters are finished, you could send those gamers who supported you all the way, a nice DVD with the whole game, perhaps for a little extra charge.

Difficulties abound for game developers. I sympathize. It's a tough life all over. laugh

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle
Re: Odd game marketing question #123761
01/23/03 09:18 AM
01/23/03 09:18 AM
New York
Ladybug Offline
Settled Boomer
Ladybug  Offline
Settled Boomer

New York
Hi,

I would prefer a game that I can just go out and buy or order on the internet. Some stores will even let you return them (not many) if there is a problem. I like to know in advance what I'm getting. I also have dial up and this would be too slow for me. Also when buying the whole game you can always trade it later on if you wish.

Ladybug
Re: Odd game marketing question #123762
01/23/03 03:59 PM
01/23/03 03:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Skcull:
Also, let's say you buy 3 chapters and are satisfied, but for some reason the game will not be finished. You're only out $9. What's the difference, monetarily speaking, if the chapters were worth $3 a piece?
Because adventure games are largely about story these days. And a story should have a beginning, a middle and an end. Would you want to buy a book if it might just stop sometime in the middle? With serial stories in magazines, you were always assured that the next issue would come out. But that isn't the way with computer games. Sometimes the next game in the series is years away (as with Monkey Island 2 and 3) or may never come at all. Because of past experience some gamers are going to be hesitant about starting a serial game because they'd fear they'll never see the ending.

One thing that might make some difference is a schedule. How much time do you think would elapse between episodes? The more frequently the episodes came out the more likely it would be for people to play it. If you had a new episode every month you'd probably attract more interest than if you had a new episode every year.

Re: Odd game marketing question #123763
01/23/03 11:13 PM
01/23/03 11:13 PM
San Francisco
fov Offline
Addicted Boomer
fov  Offline
Addicted Boomer

San Francisco
Quote:
As far as buying something that might not be finished, all I can say is doing another game is a passion. Also, let's say you buy 3 chapters and are satisfied, but for some reason the game will not be finished. You're only out $9. What's the difference, monetarily speaking, if the chapters were worth $3 a piece?
for me, the difference is that i've invested time and money into something i may not be able to see through to completion. plus, i tend (or try, anyway) not to buy a game until i've heard some feedback / read some reviews. so my inclination would probably be to not spend money on it until all the chapters had been released and i heard from others how they liked the experience.

however, i might be more apt to participate if i knew that the game had already been completed (it was just being released in stages), and if the entire thing had been preleased to reviewers so they could play through and give an opinion on the entire package.

i am not familiar with The Forgotten... but if Jane Jensen were to release a GK game in chapters, i'd probably go for it. just because i already know i love her work. if The Forgotten has as loyal a fan base, you probably have a leg up.

-emily

Re: Odd game marketing question #123764
01/23/03 11:39 PM
01/23/03 11:39 PM
heavycat Offline
Settled Boomer
heavycat  Offline
Settled Boomer

I have a brand new boxed copy of The Forgotten sitting on my shelf. As you know, a lot of people were very disappointed that the rest of the 'series' couldn't be completed because The Forgotten showed so much promise.

Such an ironic name...

Scott
Heavy Cat Multimedia Ltd.
www.ladystar.net - Your Magical and Mysterious Adventure Awaits
www.heavycatweb.com - Only the Gameplay Matters
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 154 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users