GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: Kemal] #1245110
04/10/21 05:24 AM
04/10/21 05:24 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Originally Posted by Kemal
Great to hear that you are making progress mike_bn! I really love that part of the puzzle you just solved, isn't it great?

I am a bit in a hurry, just quickly checking in here. Will post about my full Rhem III SE experience soon. Just wanted to reply to you, kemal
Yes I absolutely loved this puzzle/the general setup of hints in this building/corridor.

Looking forward discussion Rhem III SE with you soon, Kermal. Are you kemalure on steam? If so, I read your reviews on Steam and I feel that our tastes are VERY similar. Funny thing is: a couple of weeks/months ago I stumbled over your review of Dark Hope and totally agreed with your comment 'criminally under clued' (I was not aware of course that it was you back then ;-) I totally agree and that unfortunately makes it a weak game.Too bad, because It had so much potential because in general one can tell that the author is some really intelligent guy and the puzzles are very good, that is just not true for the hints. He overdid it with this minimum number of hints which are too obsure and can be interpreted in too many ways.
In case you are interested, i left a long hint request with comments on the discussion board, maybe you want to have a look when you are interested
in my thought process about that game and where i was stuck. As english is not my native language, that post stretched my english skills to their limits
but I hope it was good enough to bring my points across. I never got a reply from the developer, maybe because he was pissed because i was a bit critical.

(Steam topic: 'Hint needed for the final puzzle', it is in a subsection of the board for Dark Hope)

Last edited by mike_bn; 04/10/21 05:34 AM.
Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: mike_bn] #1245147
04/10/21 06:04 PM
04/10/21 06:04 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

So, now I would have some time, but am tired because it is already 01:00 AM in germany, so I will keep it short.

I beat the game smile I think the new area is fantastic, there was only one puzzle (or rather 'part of a puzzle') I did not like that much
and I think I have a good reason why

I did not like the puzzle where you had to press the yellow door button while the door was
in the process of opening itself. This is totally counter-intuitive because it breaks a meta rule the player
is taught by the game. All over the game there is the clear rule that whenever you activate some mechanism
and some animation starts, you are in cut-scene mode and you cannot do ANYTHING useful. You can move the mouse
but you cannot click anyhwere, you cant turn the direction etc. So the clear rule is: 'This is a cutscene. Wait until
it is over and then continue playing' This meta-rule was broken here and I have to admit that i was very lucky,
I more or less clicked the button accidentially at the right time.
The rest of the puzzle was excellenty crafted. I have to admit that Knut placed good and subtle hints to point the
player in the direction that this door is worht to be examined more. That was well done, no doubt. But then pressing
the button doing a cutscene, well, I am not sure about that.

All in all, playing RHEM III SE after Rhem III > 10 years ago, was a fantastic experience. Even though it is only April,
I have no doubt this will be one of the absoute gaming highlights in 2021 for me.

Grade: Something between A and A+. Only reason why this game does not get an A + is because Rhem II SE, Rhem IV SE and Riven exist.

Last edited by mike_bn; 04/10/21 06:11 PM.
Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: mike_bn] #1245455
04/15/21 12:37 PM
04/15/21 12:37 PM
Boston MA
K
Kemal Offline
Shy Boomer
Kemal  Offline
Shy Boomer
K

Boston MA
Hey mike_bn
Originally Posted by mike_bn
So, now I would have some time, but am tired because it is already 01:00 AM in germany, so I will keep it short.

I beat the game smile I think the new area is fantastic, there was only one puzzle (or rather 'part of a puzzle') I did not like that much
and I think I have a good reason why

I did not like the puzzle where you had to press the yellow door button while the door was
in the process of opening itself. This is totally counter-intuitive because it breaks a meta rule the player
is taught by the game. All over the game there is the clear rule that whenever you activate some mechanism
and some animation starts, you are in cut-scene mode and you cannot do ANYTHING useful. You can move the mouse
but you cannot click anyhwere, you cant turn the direction etc. So the clear rule is: 'This is a cutscene. Wait until
it is over and then continue playing' This meta-rule was broken here and I have to admit that i was very lucky,
I more or less clicked the button accidentially at the right time.
The rest of the puzzle was excellenty crafted. I have to admit that Knut placed good and subtle hints to point the
player in the direction that this door is worht to be examined more. That was well done, no doubt. But then pressing
the button doing a cutscene, well, I am not sure about that.

All in all, playing RHEM III SE after Rhem III > 10 years ago, was a fantastic experience. Even though it is only April,
I have no doubt this will be one of the absoute gaming highlights in 2021 for me.

Grade: Something between A and A+. Only reason why this game does not get an A + is because Rhem II SE, Rhem IV SE and Riven exist.

Congrats on beating the game! I really loved the new area too. Regarding the puzzle you mentioned:

I kind of agree with your statement. It was a bit unusual that in all Rhem universe that is the only place you can do something where the doors are moving. However, I still think the puzzle is kind of fair, because the slow and weird movement of the door is a clear clue that tells you to keep explore door controls. It is definitely not my favorite puzzle in Rhem III, but I am OK with it.

I would also give Rhem III SE a solid A. I also think that Rhem II SE and IV SE are the best in the series and they deserve A+. Actually, I believe that Rhem II SE is the best puzzle adventure game of all time (It is even better than Riven in my opinion).

I have been feeling a bit empty since I finished Rhem III SE, I think I am going to replay IV SE. It had been 4 years since I played it and I believe I forgot all the solutions. It is actually amazing how replayable RHEM games are, they are so intricate that it is impossible to memorize the puzzles and solutions.

Originally Posted by mike_bn

Looking forward discussion Rhem III SE with you soon, Kermal. Are you kemalure on steam? If so, I read your reviews on Steam and I feel that our tastes are VERY similar. Funny thing is: a couple of weeks/months ago I stumbled over your review of Dark Hope and totally agreed with your comment 'criminally under clued' (I was not aware of course that it was you back then ;-) I totally agree and that unfortunately makes it a weak game.Too bad, because It had so much potential because in general one can tell that the author is some really intelligent guy and the puzzles are very good, that is just not true for the hints. He overdid it with this minimum number of hints which are too obsure and can be interpreted in too many ways.
In case you are interested, i left a long hint request with comments on the discussion board, maybe you want to have a look when you are interested
in my thought process about that game and where i was stuck. As english is not my native language, that post stretched my english skills to their limits
but I hope it was good enough to bring my points across. I never got a reply from the developer, maybe because he was pissed because i was a bit critical.

(Steam topic: 'Hint needed for the final puzzle', it is in a subsection of the board for Dark Hope)

Yes I am indeed kemalure on Steam! Yes our tastes are very similar, I have been following your posts on GB forums and I know that you love difficult puzzle adventures just like me. Thanks for reading my reviews! Yes Dark Hope is a big wasted potential. There is a great game there buried under some weird design choices and lack of experience by the developer. I hope that he will not be discouraged by the negative feedback he received from this game and continue developing puzzle adventures.

I looked at your hint request, but frankly I can't remember anything at all about the solutions in the final part of the game. However I remember that the final part of the game was my favorite part actually, I was able to solve it on my own and I had a lot fun with the mathematical aspect of it. Thus I believe there are sufficient clues for the final puzzles. I just can't remember right now what they were.

If you are looking for other recent puzzle adventures, feel free to check my other Steam reviews. I try to write reviews for all recent puzzle adventures I play. Off the top of my head, Cutish, Zof and Moon Castle were good. They are nowhere close to Rhem, but I think you will enjoy them.

Last edited by Kemal; 04/17/21 07:26 PM.
Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: mike_bn] #1245510
04/15/21 08:13 PM
04/15/21 08:13 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Great reviews, kemal!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1245534
04/16/21 04:11 AM
04/16/21 04:11 AM
Boston MA
K
Kemal Offline
Shy Boomer
Kemal  Offline
Shy Boomer
K

Boston MA
Thanks BrownEyedTigre smile

Re: RHEM III SE to be released tomorrow on Steam!!! [Re: mike_bn] #1246164
04/25/21 07:40 AM
04/25/21 07:40 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Kermal, thanks for the long reply and sorry for my dealayed response.
Sounds like we agree on most things, I still feel the math puzzle in Dark Hope is also flawed in terms of design,
see my steam post for my reasoning. But that is not so important.

For me, personally, I can never decide whether Riven or Rhem II SE is the best myst-style puzzle adventure of all time.
I definitely feel the puzzles in Rhem II SE are better, but Riven also has great puzzle but Riven excels in other
areas also important for the whole experience. So for me, I consider the two of them as the best puzzle adventures of all time.
Rhem IV SE and Schizm I are on place 2 and 3, btw.

Can't wait for Rhem V now, but I am pretty sure we will have to wait for a few years now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 228 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users