GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Mystery in London - HELP! #246965
12/15/07 07:10 PM
12/15/07 07:10 PM
G
GPM Offline OP
Settled Boomer
GPM  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
G

I downloaded the trial a couple of days ago and, while I didn't have time to play but maybe 10 minutes or so, I was very impressed and knew that I would want to purchase it.

Now that it's Saturday, I have a little extra time and decided to go ahead and buy the game and went through the process of doing that.

BUT NOW THE MUSIC WON'T PLAY RIGHT!

You can hear the melody, but it's distorted by this ba- ba- ba- ba- ba- stutter (sorry - that's the best way that I can think of to describe it) that goes on all the time, no matter where I am in the game.

The music is a HUGE part of the game experience for me, so I am terribly disappointed, particularly since BFG Chat Help is unavailable on Saturday and Sunday!

I uninstalled the game and re-installed it thinking that might help, but the sound is exactly the same!

Then I checked the sound of other BFG I've purchased to see if they had sound problems, but they all play just fine.

And again, I had no problems whatsoever in the the demo of Mystery in London.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: GPM] #246969
12/15/07 07:14 PM
12/15/07 07:14 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
GPM, the chat may not be open now but you can still contact support. According to their database of troubleshooting here is their suggestion:

Quote:
Many of our games have sound included. You’ll see in the menu options for each game the ability to turn sound on and off.

Having trouble with Game Sound?
In most cases, you may need to update your version of Java. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of Sun Java, which can be freely downloaded.

Some members have reported installing Sun Java version 1.4.2_08 instead of the latest version, solved a missing sound problem. You can find this older version from Sun’s Download Archive.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #246990
12/15/07 08:02 PM
12/15/07 08:02 PM
G
GPM Offline OP
Settled Boomer
GPM  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
G

Thank you so much for the speedy response, BrownEyedTigre.

I already have the latest version of Sun Java (Version 6 Update 3) and, since the music in the demo version played without a problem, I'm a little reluctant to go so far back as to Version 1.4.2_08.

I did go ahead and email customer support, but I'm very disappointed that, instead of playing the game, I'm having to instead spend my limited leisure time tracking down what's wrong with it.

As I said, the music is a hugely significant part of the game experience for me, and I have no interest or intention of playing it absent the sound! If there had been a problem like this in the demo, I wouldn't have purchased it until I was certain the problem was resolved.

Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: GPM] #246993
12/15/07 08:06 PM
12/15/07 08:06 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Why don't you uninstall completely and download it again. Sometimes that does the trick.

You are using the same game as the demo since the demo IS the full game with a one hour time limit. Perhaps you have installed or done something else on your computer in the meantime to disrupt the sound.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #247051
12/15/07 08:51 PM
12/15/07 08:51 PM
G
GPM Offline OP
Settled Boomer
GPM  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
G

I've actually uinstalled and re-installed it three times now, all to the same effect...

I just cleaned the cache, etc., rebooted and am going for number four now!

I'm so glad this didn't happen when I purchased Madame Fate!

Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: GPM] #247130
12/15/07 10:57 PM
12/15/07 10:57 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
GPM, I've only had a problem with one BFG game. I had to turn off my firewall and virus scanner in order to get it to download properly.

Turned them on again as soon as the download finished, scanned the file, and then the game ran perfectly.

I have no idea if that would help you--but it won't cost you anything to try it. luck

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: looney4labs] #247259
12/16/07 07:34 AM
12/16/07 07:34 AM
Piney Woods of East Texas
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Piney Woods of East Texas
I'm just the opposite. The music distracts me so I either turn it off or down quite low. When I started London the music played without any problem.

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: joanieS] #247470
12/16/07 02:09 PM
12/16/07 02:09 PM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
I would take this problem to the support thread here at GameBoomers... they are fantastic. I guarantee you'll be playing it in no time with their help.

Me? I usually turn the sound down as low as possible or turn it off altogether since I watch TV at the same time usually.

I cannot imagine being a computer program person and trying to make a program compatible with everyone's unique computer system.
Everyone has different sound cards, different mother boards, different graphics cards.... a nightmare! I give them credit that so far they've been excellent on most of our systems.

Oh, and don't forget you only get 3 downloads... which can be a problem when you have trouble like this. They have to do it though because of "pirates". When I got my new computer I downloaded all my (42) games again and just one wouldn't download because it said I had my limit. frown I can only figure I had to download it a couple times due to problems. So I had to give up the G. H. O. S. T. rotfl

Prices are going up everywhere except in our incomes.
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: NYLady] #247540
12/16/07 04:31 PM
12/16/07 04:31 PM
BFG-Guy Offline
Settled Boomer
BFG-Guy  Offline
Settled Boomer

Just FYI.
You get three unlocks no questions asked, but if you contact customer support with a good reason why you need more, they will open up another unlock slot for you.
thumbsup

BFG-Guy

"A New Game Every Day!" keeps boredom away.
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: BFG-Guy] #247543
12/16/07 04:35 PM
12/16/07 04:35 PM
BFG-Guy Offline
Settled Boomer
BFG-Guy  Offline
Settled Boomer

GPM -
AS lame an idea as this is, if it worked once, but now does not, turning off your computer and then back on may fix it. The magic of MSFT Windows is that restarting it often fixes problems.

Sorry for the bad advice if you already tried this.

The other option is if you know the manfacturer of your sound card is to do a google search for the "sound driver" software for your card and reinstall the sound driver.

BFG-Guy

"A New Game Every Day!" keeps boredom away.
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: BFG-Guy] #247611
12/16/07 06:33 PM
12/16/07 06:33 PM
G
GPM Offline OP
Settled Boomer
GPM  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
G

You all are so great! I actually fixed it myself this morning, but the idea came to me just as I woke up and I know it was because of all the great brainstorming of everyone here that it came to my mind in the first place!

Since the sound on the demo worked, the sound on other BFG games still worked, and I hadn't installed any new programs in the short period involved, I was pretty sure it probably wasn't a hardware or software compatability problem.

It occurred to me this morning that, if I did a System Restore back to the (happy) point before I activated the full program, whatever I'd inadvertently done in the meantime would likely be undone. And voila! It worked like a charm.

What I think happened was this: I purchased and "installed" from the website, not the BFG client (which is what I usually do when I make a purchase), but I did not uninstall the demo first (as I subsequently discovered the website installation instructions tell you to do - my bad!).

I'm pretty sure, then, that I ended up downloading the program twice as there were two full set of the game icons on my computer.

I uninstalled the demo but I think there may have been remnants of it (or the two programs) that weren't removed no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Luckily, however, dialing the system back to the point before I downloaded the full version of the program eliminated whatever was in there that was causing the problem.

(Interestingly, even turning the sound all the way down still didn't get rid of the "stutter" -- no music, but there was still a periodic da, da, da, da!)

And now a word on behalf of BF Customer Service -- fantastic! Although I had already fixed the problem (which, of course, was of my own making in the first place!) I received an email response today (Sunday) morning probably somewhere around 12 hours or less from when I first submitted my inquiry. And it was relevant to what I had written and not just a canned, form-type response. Good job!

I understand that such high-tech products can have glitches, and certainly agree with NYLady that it would be virtually impossible to test any program on every kind of equipment and configuration on which the game might be installed. And since I love the high-quality bells and whistles the technology brings to these games, I know I should anticipate that problems can occur.

I've been terribly spoiled by BF however because, in a year and a half or so of game club membership, I've never had a single problem! And I was disappointed because I **loved** my little demo taste of Mystery in London and wanted to play it!

So now that I can, I'm entirely happy again -- plus I know not to make the same mistake next time and (if I should) what to do about it!

So thank you all so much for all your ideas and support!!!

Last edited by GPM; 12/16/07 06:35 PM.
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: GPM] #247626
12/16/07 07:18 PM
12/16/07 07:18 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
GPM thanks for coming back in and telling us what you did to fix the problem. As often as I've used restore, I never thought to suggest it. wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Mystery in London - HELP! [Re: looney4labs] #248576
12/18/07 09:59 AM
12/18/07 09:59 AM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
I love that restore feature!!!!

Prices are going up everywhere except in our incomes.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (OrleansBelle, dorish), 319 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users