GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Introduction to Adventure Games, and me #331467
05/21/08 08:17 PM
05/21/08 08:17 PM
N. KY, USA
cl0vis Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cl0vis  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

N. KY, USA
I just joined, and wanted to introduce myself and a fun topic. I searched and couldn't find it in an earlier thread: What was your introduction to adventure gaming?

When I was about 12 (1989) my parents finally bought a PC. No one was allowed to touch it. Someone gave my parent's the secret code to start a word processor, and a disk: KING'S QUEST. Much to our delight, as kids, instead of saying "Good luck King Graham", the fairy witch (or whatever) said something similar and shocking eek Anyway, all we did was walk around. We had no instructions, and didn't know what else to do. We spent a pretty good amount of time just walking around and getting killed by things.

One day I was feeling adventurous, and had stopped in front of the castle doors. Just for the heck of it, I typed "Open Door", and Lo and Behold, it did! This, alongside beating Ninja Gaiden on the NES, is one my greatest gaming accomplishments. That pretty much hooked me on adventure games, and computers in general. I read the DOS manual next and was soon in charge of the computer. We learned to type other things, but it would take a hint guide to get through that game. I also went on to play a lot of Sierra's "Quest" titles. Heh, after learning a bit of basic I even wrote a very short text "quest" myself.

And on me really quickly. I'm an all around gamer. I switch from playing hard-core FPSs like Half-Life, to Professor Layton on the DS, to epic strategy in Medieval 2, to Sam and Max, to Puzzle Quest, to Culpa Innata, to racing on TrackMania, to Tunguska, to "open sandboxing" on Grand Theft Auto. If it's fun, I'll be there. I like to read a lot; my favorite authors are James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, Thomas Wolfe, and William Faulkner. I love all music with good lyrics, including GlaDos's song. We do what we must, because we can. And, I work at the IRS, in what you could call quality assurance. The IRS's quality, not yours ;-)

Anyway, that's my story. What's yours? Are there many people here who started with something earlier than King's Quest, like Advent/Zork?

cl0vis

Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: cl0vis] #331471
05/21/08 08:27 PM
05/21/08 08:27 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
welcome cl0vis wave

You can get some ideas Here in addition to others. We have many here that go way back.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: cl0vis] #331480
05/21/08 08:42 PM
05/21/08 08:42 PM
Basingstoke, UK
Frances Offline
Shy Boomer
Frances  Offline
Shy Boomer

Basingstoke, UK
Hi Clovis

I got introduced to a text adventure called Colossal Caves way back in 1979 (intial devopment was about 1972/74 thus pre dating Zork). This is the ggg grand-daddy of all adventure games, playing it themselves triggered Roberta and Ken Williams, of Sierra fame, to start producing their own games. The incredible King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and many others were the result. Google Colossal Caves and you can still download various versions of the original adventure and experience for yourself the fantastic world of text adventurs

Frances

Dogs have masters, cats keep servants.
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: Frances] #331610
05/22/08 04:10 AM
05/22/08 04:10 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
welcomeJust want to say welcome to GameBoomers clOvis! welcome

Gerry
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: cl0vis] #331621
05/22/08 04:58 AM
05/22/08 04:58 AM
Denver
kiraalt Offline
Settled Boomer
kiraalt  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denver
welcome

"If the players are all gone ... is the Game Over?"
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: kiraalt] #331757
05/22/08 10:26 AM
05/22/08 10:26 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
welcome

You will really enjoy this forum!!!

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: Volkana] #331769
05/22/08 10:49 AM
05/22/08 10:49 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Hi cL0vis,
My first game was Doom-1,in fact I bought my first computer just to play it.After that it was Alone-in the Dark-1 where I had to type mem-something to play it,then came the 7th Guest.

Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: Geo] #331813
05/22/08 12:13 PM
05/22/08 12:13 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
welcome to GameBoomers, cl0vis!

My first adventure was Pi-Mania, a text game with a few very blocky graphics, for the now prehistoric ZX-81 computer. This would have been around 1982. I remember that the Pi-Man objected to swearing - he would throw you unceremoniously from the game and back to the main screen with no further ado. Of the game itself, all I can remember is that there was a green door, a rubber duck, and a pork pie. I wasn't able to finish the game (got hopelessly stuck), and I don't think that I ever made it through that green door. frown

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: cl0vis] #331830
05/22/08 01:06 PM
05/22/08 01:06 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi cl0vis welcome I seriously got into adventure gaming after playing Broken Sword 1 so I'm a little of a late comer! I've since played Gabriel Knight 1 which is a little older & have just tried a pure text AG to see what they were all about! That was fun, but I prefer something with some visuals. smile

Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: chrissie] #331889
05/22/08 03:59 PM
05/22/08 03:59 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hi ya ClOvis and Welcome to GameBoomers. I don't think I've ever met anyone who admitted they worked for the IRS puppy

I first played computer games on my very advanced Commodore 128--we were so impressed that in addition to text there was the occasional small picture. I played Adventure Island with my kids. Then as they got busier and I got busier, we stopped.

Then my kids played computer games but I was way too busy. Then we got a Sega--kids were in heaven but I was still too busy.

Then the kids all left home, and we got consoles so we could play with then online. I loved it and finally wasn't too busy.

Then I had an opportunity to spend a week with my sister. I tried to get her interested in console games but she got me interested in PC adventure games (she started with Zork way back when) and introduced me to this site. That was a few years ago and now my house overflows with games that I'm going to play "when I have time" as I have once again gotten "busy."

I love to play, I love to read, and I love all animals but Dogs top my list and Labs top the short list. I have 3 big dogs and in June will be keeping my daughters dogs, so I'll have 5 dogs. puppy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: looney4labs] #331941
05/22/08 06:39 PM
05/22/08 06:39 PM
N. KY, USA
cl0vis Offline OP
Shy Boomer
cl0vis  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

N. KY, USA
Colossal Caves = Advent, right? If so, I'll pass on being eaten by a grue today ;-) Although I started with King's Quest I, have played many of the text adventure games.

I actually started playing games on the Atari 2600. Does Pitfall Harry count as an adventure game?? (The answer is no!)

// cl0vis
// standing on the shoulders of giants,
// leaves me cold -- Stipe
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: cl0vis] #332001
05/22/08 08:34 PM
05/22/08 08:34 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Welcome to Gameboomers Clovis welcome

Have fun

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: Phoebe] #332045
05/22/08 09:47 PM
05/22/08 09:47 PM
Basingstoke, UK
Frances Offline
Shy Boomer
Frances  Offline
Shy Boomer

Basingstoke, UK
ClOvis, welcome to here. There are absolutely NO grues in Colossal Caves, an axe wielding dwarf yes, and places to fall into - yes, but grues NO. It probably played on Advent, but was originally written on an early Digital Corp PDP. Subsequently ported to most machines available back in the dim and distant past of the late 1970s anf early 1980s.

Frances

Dogs have masters, cats keep servants.
Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: looney4labs] #332089
05/22/08 11:50 PM
05/22/08 11:50 PM
Colorado
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
ssgamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Colorado
Hi Clovis,
I started with Riddle of the Sphnix, and reverted backward from there. The first computer I worked on had a room for it's self so really didn't want to play games, until came back from trip to Egypt with the Archaeology Institute in 2001, decided to use the computer for some fun and games, and have been playing ever since, frankly working backwords GK 1, GK 2, GK3, BS 1, BS 2, BS 3, and BS 4, Byzantine, and 1995 Mummy, of course the new ones get on the shelf, to play. I still work part time to pay for the toys. Books, Games, quilting materials ect.
Charllotte

Re: Introduction to Adventure Games, and me [Re: ssgamer] #332159
05/23/08 06:39 AM
05/23/08 06:39 AM
Washington DC, USA
C
cutiechix37 Offline
Junior Boomer
cutiechix37  Offline
Junior Boomer
C

Washington DC, USA
Hi Everyone!
In the early/mid eighties my dad was "high tech" because he got an IBM computer. Somehow he bought the original Zork adventure game. At first we kids weren't allowed to touch the computer, but after awhile we snuck our way in.

I spent hours upon hours...hand drawn map drawings after hand drawn map drawings...being killed by a grue in the dark...being robbed by a stranger...trying like heck to get out of the maze...I spent SO MUCH time on this game! And I never did ever finish it.

Many years passed until I met my dh who also played the original Zork (on those giant sized floppys - 'member those?) and I knew we were a match LOL laugh

Return to Zork was mindblowing to us at the time! Since then we've been playing the Myst series (stunning graphics), Scratches, Alone in the Dark, Scratches, Black Mirror, the Agatha Christie games, and the best of the best - the Dark Fall series as well as Barrow Hill and my favorite of favorites the Lost Crown!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Orion, oldbroad, manxman, curly, jboliver), 258 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users