GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games #600512
02/26/10 04:40 AM
02/26/10 04:40 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
lily.bart Offline OP
Shy Boomer
lily.bart  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Tucson, AZ, USA
So after inadvertently downloading Paradise Beach ( I misread Hidden Object) I gave it a go and was surprised by how much I liked it! Maybe because I am pretty burnt out on HOGs, I looked to Gamezebo for suggestions.
Gamezebo said I should try Coconut Queen. Addicted! Then they suggested Build-a-lot series. Good times! Then they said I'd like the -opolis series (Townopolis, Romopolis, Aquaopolis). Okay, the last 2 were challenging. Plan it Green and Empire Builder: Ancient Egypt and The Be Rich series weren't that challenging but they were fun. Architect: Episode 1 was challenging as well as had a different spin.
Am I down to the bottom of the barrel on this sort of game?

Build in Time and Build It! Miami Beach Resort and Hotel Mogul and Vacation Mogul and Virtual City and Virtual Villagers and Jane's Realty and Tourist Trap, I liked those not so much. For some reason they just didn't appeal...

I also don't quite "get" all the genre types.
On the various download demo sites, Paradise Beach alone is considered to be Builder, real estate, Strategy, Time Management, Arcade & Action, Tycoon, AND Simulation!
It's hard to figure out and say what I like.

So can someone recommend some other games that just focus on the building of real estate (either in a grid or free flow) that focuses more on managing time and resources and strategy and is less tycoon-centric or DASH-like by engaging in trade or collecting things or completing chores in order to keep the "customers" happy?
Thanks much!

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious. ~Oscar Wilde
Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: lily.bart] #600520
02/26/10 05:37 AM
02/26/10 05:37 AM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
Sorry, can't help you there, since I'm in the same situation smile

I like the same builder games as you, but can't find anymore on BigFish at the moment, so I'm simply replaying the old ones..

"You can not escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova - @wowdane
Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: misslilo] #600571
02/26/10 10:01 AM
02/26/10 10:01 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder
Wonderburg (has both timed and untimed modes)

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: Marian] #600799
02/27/10 12:59 AM
02/27/10 12:59 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
lily.bart Offline OP
Shy Boomer
lily.bart  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Tucson, AZ, USA
Thanks Marian! I downloaded the demos for both your recommendations and played through the tutorials. I see Zellians is a build where ever and I like the challenge of finding a good layout to meet the goal. Wonderburg seem a bit more like the Build-a-lots with it being static. I like Zellians a bit more than Wonderburg thus far... but will prob end up buying both as each seems to have it's charm.
Anybody else have one like these they love?

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious. ~Oscar Wilde
Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: lily.bart] #601191
02/28/10 07:58 AM
02/28/10 07:58 AM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
I just tried Artist Colony and found it quite enjoyable - sort of like Sims smile

Only played the demo, and so far I didn't see any time restrictions... so I bought it.

"You can not escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova - @wowdane
Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: misslilo] #601423
02/28/10 09:54 PM
02/28/10 09:54 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
lily.bart Offline OP
Shy Boomer
lily.bart  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Tucson, AZ, USA
Hmm, I'll have to download the demo for that one as well. It may have to wait a bit though, because due to the generosity of an anonymous benefactor (wink), I have a date to meet Tex Murphy for the first time. I figure it should take at least 3 days for me to fully understand what that man is all about! Also, I have a feeling now that I've registered I'll be spending some quality time on the GOG catalog!

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: lily.bart] #601467
03/01/10 01:44 AM
03/01/10 01:44 AM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
You're truly in for a blast smile

This is my favorite of them all and IMHO the best one to learn HOW to play the Text Murphy games.
Enjoy laugh

As for Artist Colony - I'm having a blast. Couldn't pull myself away last night, so guess it got a little later, than it should be, lol.

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: misslilo] #607502
03/21/10 12:33 PM
03/21/10 12:33 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
lily.bart Offline OP
Shy Boomer
lily.bart  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Tucson, AZ, USA
I don't know if I "liked" Artist Colony, but I couldn't pull myself away from it! Good recommendation! I just tried 2 more that I enjoyed, The Palace Builder and Ancient Rome. Both are build anywhere and manage resources. Neither was too challenging, but both were entertaining.

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: lily.bart] #628208
06/08/10 11:23 AM
06/08/10 11:23 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
lily.bart Offline OP
Shy Boomer
lily.bart  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Tucson, AZ, USA
Misslilo... have you tried Buried in Time? By the same folks who did Artist Colony, very similar! I liked it quite a bit.
I also enjoyed Rachel's Retreat. Kinda a cross between Coconut Queen and Mall-A-Palooza.
Life Quest was very enjoyable as well, offered something different with the competition aspect.
Also, there is a new Build-a-lot, The Elizabethan Era. Have you played it, I'm curious. Gonna purchase it today.
Any other recommendations?

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: lily.bart] #628312
06/09/10 01:57 AM
06/09/10 01:57 AM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
I really don't remember smile
As for the Rachel's retreat - anything that involves Time management, is not for me wink

As for Build-a-Lot games, I'm very picky.
They don't really interest me, even if I do have a couple laugh

Re: Paradise Beach, Coconut Queen: Suggestions on Builder Games [Re: misslilo] #628994
06/11/10 09:45 PM
06/11/10 09:45 PM
Pennsylvania
S
stellaluna Offline
Shy Boomer
stellaluna  Offline
Shy Boomer
S

Pennsylvania
You might like 'My Kingdom for a Princess'. It's different, but still a time/resource mgmt and strategy game. You have to clear / build a road to get the royal carriage through. I love building games also, and liked this one very much.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mikael, oldbroad), 349 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users