GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #677649
12/06/10 08:42 AM
12/06/10 08:42 AM
Ohio
K
Kate Anne Offline
Settled Boomer
Kate Anne  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

Ohio
I finished the game this morning. I am so happy that I did try the demo (almost didn't because of all the complaints on BF). I did not have any problems with the game at all. Also, this game was not a short game for me. Took my time, finished all the mini games, which I love. I think I must be a really slow player because it took me over 5 hours to finish the game. Great game.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Kate Anne] #677771
12/06/10 01:52 PM
12/06/10 01:52 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
bravo Kate Anne! What's next?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: looney4labs] #677778
12/06/10 02:41 PM
12/06/10 02:41 PM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Fantastic game I was having so much fun without any problems and then it happened. I went to dip the bucket in a mud puddle at town and doom came to the game when I dipped the bucket into the mud puddle in the form of a black screen, lockup not able to do anything except go to menu. Restarted and where others who had same problem lost their entire inventory,

I had most of my inventory intact but missing was most important Bucket and a dull knife. I restarted again and the same thing happened and no way to get the items back.

Missing inventory is the most common bug in the game. so heads up on the warning ahead of time, buyer beware. I usually do not replay games so I am waiting to see if there will be a fix, otherwise I will ask for a refund. The thread is full of so many of us complaining of missing inventory. The first time this happened to me was in 13th skull but update fixed the bug.

I don't understand what is happening with BFG quality so many games are giving many people big problems like inventory missing, or logging out and losing the save game, seem to be the most bugs lately in the last 3 games for me. If you don't believe me read the BFG Forum so many angry customers is not a good thing for a game company even though the customer service is good, they refund the games, you buy the game because you want to play the game. Just my 2 cents worth.

wave Gail bravo to you finishing the game. Seems your one of the fortunate ones not to have any problems with the game, it appears to be a rare thing.

Can you please tell me if your using Vista? What video card your using? I am trying to figure out if there is a connection to the bug in the game and our OS and video card. Since I am one of those where my inventory items go missing. Thanks

EDIT Sorry Mods just realized I double posted. Drats! I will spank myself for you!

Last edited by Marian; 12/06/10 03:03 PM. Reason: stacked posts
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Sherryah] #677780
12/06/10 03:05 PM
12/06/10 03:05 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
No problem, Sherryah. I combined your two posts. wave

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #677791
12/06/10 03:52 PM
12/06/10 03:52 PM
Ohio
K
Kate Anne Offline
Settled Boomer
Kate Anne  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

Ohio
Hi looney

I don't have anything new to play so I am going to replay Dark Tales EAP Black Cat. Hopefully something good will be out this week. I am waiting on 2 CE's to be released as SE. Going to go see if Mudrock has made an announcement of the games for this week.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Kate Anne] #677794
12/06/10 04:09 PM
12/06/10 04:09 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I promised myself that I wasn't going to play anymore casual games after the '13th skull' but I had some punch points to use up so I bought this one & a couple of others!

I loved this game but it took me quite a long time to work out that I had to do something more with the 'family inheritance' ring than just click it once on all the creatures! I couldn't understand why in my notebook they all remained as shadows afterwards! lol When eventually I realised (by looking at the instructions!) I went back & did the proper thing! lol - and I only missed one!

It's certainly a game that I enjoyed more than the other Salem game I bought with punch points: Hidden Mysteries, Salems Secrets - it's very good if you like lots of hidden object screens & too many places to keep backtracking to to progress! - too 'messy' for me! lol

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Kate Anne] #677974
12/07/10 07:29 AM
12/07/10 07:29 AM
Millbrook, New York
Cappy Offline
Settled Boomer
Cappy  Offline
Settled Boomer

Millbrook, New York
Well, I wasn't one of the very few lucky ones to finish this game! Playing was flawless until I got to the village puzzle near the end. It was then I got the dreaded black screen. BAH!

I've contacted BF to see if a "fix" was being planned but in the meantime I've learned a very valuable lesson: Don't buy a game when it first comes out! I plan to wait to see what glitches others experience before I buy any game. I had intended to buy a couple of CEs this month, but those, too, I put on hold.

In the couple of years that I've been buying casual games...plenty of them in fact...I've never been this nervous about quality. That's a shame, too, because I have really enjoyed almost all the ones I did buy, but these glitches are becoming all too frequent in my opinion.

Sorry for the negative post, but I was thoroughly enjoying this game. What I don't enjoy is having to reinstall and restart a game just because the developer didn't beta test it before it went on sale.

There! I've had my say. Now I'll go have a nice cup of coffee with plenty of sugar in it. Maybe that will sweeten my disposition. Think so? Keep your fingers crossed.

Barb

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Cappy] #677978
12/07/10 07:44 AM
12/07/10 07:44 AM
Massachusetts
GBC Offline
Graduate Boomer
GBC  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Massachusetts
Sherryah, I played on Vista Home Premium. NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE n Force 430 I had absoltely no problems at all. Guess I was lucky.

Gail
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Kate Anne] #678001
12/07/10 09:28 AM
12/07/10 09:28 AM
somewhere in time
Happy Gamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
Happy Gamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

somewhere in time
...I am curious...who or what's Mudrock. I love reading about upcoming games.I googled the word but didn't see anything that suggested casual gaming.
Thanks

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Happy Gamer] #678003
12/07/10 09:34 AM
12/07/10 09:34 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Happy Gamer
...I am curious...who or what's Mudrock. I love reading about upcoming games.I googled the word but didn't see anything that suggested casual gaming.
Thanks

Mudrock is the Director of Content at Big Fish Games. Every Monday he posts a "sneak preview" in the Chit-Chat Forum on Big Fish, usually mentioning three to four titles of games that will be released during the upcoming week. His weekly post is stickied near the top of the Chit-Chat forum.

Sometimes games that he mentions end up getting set back for one reason or another, so the titles he mentions are not carved in stone in terms of getting released that week, but it does give us a general idea of some of what we have to look forward to for the week.

Here's the link to where he posted yesterday.

If you have played Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Murder in the Rue Morgue, there is actually a reference to Mudrock in the game. It was a fun "Easter egg" of sorts, an inside joke for those in the know.

Update: A new version of this game was released yesterday (December 8th). Fixes are as follows:

soft lock issues with the game
video and graphics issues

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Chick] #678385
12/08/10 12:01 PM
12/08/10 12:01 PM
Michigan
Penny Lane Offline
Addicted Boomer
Penny Lane  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I am waiting for the backup disk. It should arrive in a couple of days!I have been to Salem also. I would love to go back someday!

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit..------ Lady Violet Crawley (Downton Abbey)

Marlene aka Penny Lane (Paul McCartney fan)
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Penny Lane] #678484
12/08/10 04:34 PM
12/08/10 04:34 PM
Millbrook, New York
Cappy Offline
Settled Boomer
Cappy  Offline
Settled Boomer

Millbrook, New York
I was happy, happy this morning to see the "fix" for this game listed. I installed it but I'm not so happy now. It doesn't fix the black screen at the village puzzle. I suppose I'll be told to uninstall/reinstall the game and start over....not a pleasant thought...but there's no assurance that the black screen won't happen again, is there?

These problems are turning up way too frequently in the latest batch of games. I miss the quality control I've been used to having in BF games.

Barb

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Cappy] #678492
12/08/10 04:45 PM
12/08/10 04:45 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I just took a look at the Big Fish forums and one of the mods suggests starting a new profile to ensure that all the fixes will be implemented.

I understand your dilemma, though, and I of course can't give you any guarantees that your problem with the game won't recur. I'm in a similar situation with the 13th Skull, where the game didn't save my progress correctly when I was 80% through the game; I've since downloaded the update, but haven't decided whether or not I want to replay from the beginning. I'm leaning towards "yes," but not right now.

Unfortunately there are often all sorts of variables when it comes to fixing problems of this nature. Hopefully this new update will fix the problems for most.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Marian] #678600
12/09/10 02:32 AM
12/09/10 02:32 AM
Wales
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer
meryl  Offline
Settled Boomer

Wales
I only started playing casual games a couple of years ago. First off I played the old games that came recommended - RT Ravenhearst, Azada etc.
I never experienced any glitches but maybe that was because they had been around some time and already had been "fixed".
Then I selected what I wanted to buy from the new games that came out and didn't have any problem with these either. About 6 months ago I encounted my first glitch in a game. Since then there have been quite a few games that have needed a "fix" and I've twice been given a refund.
It does seem to be happening more frequently. Now I check the forums and wait to see if there are any problems with a game before buying. I am buying far fewer games as a result.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: meryl] #678708
12/09/10 11:50 AM
12/09/10 11:50 AM
F
Foma Offline
Junior Boomer
Foma  Offline
Junior Boomer
F

I read all your opinions and really don`t know to buy it or not as you have said that it too short.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Foma] #678710
12/09/10 11:55 AM
12/09/10 11:55 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Hi Foma, and welcome to GameBoomers! welcome

I purchased the game and am not finding it too short, but perhaps others can give you some additional opinions.

"Short" is really sometimes subjective when it comes to a game, determined by whether or not you skip puzzles, if you play without taking a break, etc. I have played games before that were described as "short" by some, and I didn't find myself characterizing the game the same way. I am, however, a "take-my-time" kind of player. wave

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: GBC] #678997
12/10/10 06:41 AM
12/10/10 06:41 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hi GBC
Thanks for letting me know what video card you are using, I now know it is not a Nivida problem.

Cappy I had the same problem in the village I dipped the bucket into the mud to wash tavern windows and the bartender must have taken revenge on my computer because dreaded black screen came. I exited and logged back in again only this time the Bucket was missing from inventory along with a dull knife. This isn't good because we can't get the inventory items back again and can't go on with the game.

As for update it did not WORK for me. The only thing I was told to do is delete the game and start over with a new game and profile. I hate doing this its like spending hours of time reading a good book, only to find out you have to start reading the book again from the beginning.

I don't do this and lately game quality has not been good with games BFG is releasing. Not sure if they are not listening to beta testers or what is happening. something has changed. It use to be so rare that I had a game that had a glitch in it not anymore.

Missing inventory seems to be a major problem. We need save games we can save ourself so at least we can go back to last good saved game, and not be forced to start over again.

I dread restarting this game with no guarantee from what I have read that the fix even works. I play games to relax not be stressed and angry because quality control fails. It is not just my computer BFG Guy has many angry people venting on the forum over this game and others where inventory comes up missing. I love my BFG been member since 2004 if memory serves me correct from the beginning. I buy games nearly every day of the week, and always the CE so needless to say I am a great customer as my bank statement shows.

My husband says he wishes he could buy stock in BFG with all the money we spend there. LOL

I do hope whatever the problem is BFG Guy will figure out a way to back up our games before the dreaded black screens where inventory items go missing along with the crash.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Sherryah] #679009
12/10/10 07:59 AM
12/10/10 07:59 AM
Millbrook, New York
Cappy Offline
Settled Boomer
Cappy  Offline
Settled Boomer

Millbrook, New York
The update didn't work for me either, Sherryah. I refuse to yet again restart a game just because "somebody" didn't take the time to develop it properly. And, there's no guarantee the problem won't still be there in the restarted game.

More and more there are issues with the games coming out...almost all the new games, in fact. There is a CE game that just came out today and ALREADY there are pages of complaints on the BF forum about the game not running properly. I would love to know why BF puts up with it....and why they continue to promote a game with known problems. It must be counter productive for them to sell a game then have to issue a game credit, as well as frustrating for the techs who have to deal with disappointed, irate customers.

I have really loved these games and have purchased many. I'm just not buying as many any more. I don't buy any other product with my fingers crossed that it will function the way it should, and games are no exception. I would LOVE to get back to a situation where I can push the buy button several times a week with confidence.

Barb

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Cappy] #679093
12/10/10 01:14 PM
12/10/10 01:14 PM
Sanday, Orkney
Rosaboobie Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rosaboobie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sanday, Orkney
I just wonder how many people are chosen for the beta testing for each game? It should be sent to very many people in order for it to be tested properly.

I have beta tested a few games recently but my remarks and comments and spelling errors were in fact not taken on board when the game was released about one week later. Perhaps the beta testing should in fact be done well before just one week before the release date so that developerss can in fact remedy any bugs instead of just ignoring them and simply releasing the game as is.

Boobie
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Rosaboobie] #679095
12/10/10 01:30 PM
12/10/10 01:30 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I recall BFG-Guy on the Big Fish forums saying that there are beta tests that go out well before a game's release, and then there is another kind of beta test that you can receive that is considered to be a "pre-release" survey. The latter is to ensure that there are no download installation problems or obvious technical issues like getting a blue screen. So, if you get a beta for a game and then that game is released within a week, it was sent out for different reasons than the ones you might assume.

I do agree that there have been more problems of late with games. I myself have encountered zero issues with the new CE Haunted Legends whereas some folks are complaining about the game being laggy. It's hard sometimes to know which problems are system specific and which are global when you are reading the technical-problems section of the forums.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Marian] #679106
12/10/10 01:55 PM
12/10/10 01:55 PM
Sanday, Orkney
Rosaboobie Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rosaboobie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sanday, Orkney
Ah - I had no idea that there were two categories of beta testing. But if people are still finding bugs and errors in the pre release survey, then it seems that there may be a problem with the beta testers. Thanks for putting me right, Marian

Boobie
Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: chrissie] #680000
12/13/10 05:21 PM
12/13/10 05:21 PM
Canal Fulton, OH
Sparkle Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sparkle  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canal Fulton, OH
Originally Posted By: chrissie
I promised myself that I wasn't going to play anymore casual games after the '13th skull' but I had some punch points to use up so I bought this one & a couple of others!

I loved this game but it took me quite a long time to work out that I had to do something more with the 'family inheritance' ring than just click it once on all the creatures! I couldn't understand why in my notebook they all remained as shadows afterwards! lol When eventually I realised (by looking at the instructions!) I went back & did the proper thing! lol - and I only missed one!

It's certainly a game that I enjoyed more than the other Salem game I bought with punch points: Hidden Mysteries, Salems Secrets -

it's very good if you like lots of hidden object screens & too many places to keep backtracking to to progress! - too 'messy' for me! lol

chrissie: Please help me understand what to do with Family Inheritance. I read all I could on the BFG forum and in the walkthrough and I'm still not sure how this works. So far, I've placed the dreamcatcher on two different "familiars". I get one or two lights and the dreamcatcher goes back into my Inventory. The animal remains where it was.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Sparkle] #680005
12/13/10 05:48 PM
12/13/10 05:48 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Sparkle, from what I can recall, when you place the ring over a familiar, there are 4 areas that light up on the ring, gradually, one at a time. You need to click on each of those areas when they light up. smile

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Marian] #680063
12/13/10 08:52 PM
12/13/10 08:52 PM
Nova Scotia
Flo NS Offline
Addicted Boomer
Flo NS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Nova Scotia
There are sometimes more than 4, maybe 6 or 7 and sometimes you need to go around twice.

The most important factor is timing, if you miss clicking while it is lighted up, it will go back into the inventory. You need to be right on the money when clicking.

Re: Lost Chronicles: Salem - New IHOG on BigFish [Re: Flo NS] #680066
12/13/10 09:00 PM
12/13/10 09:00 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thanks, Flo; I haven't gotten very far along into the game and have only seen 4 lighting up so far, so we appreciate the additional information. happydance12

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Urban Worrier, FlyingDutchman42), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users