GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Frogwares: A Sense of Humor #787475
02/12/12 05:42 PM
02/12/12 05:42 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
I've been on a Frogwares binge lately, playing Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsene Lupin, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper, and I'm getting pretty close to the end of Dracula: Origin...again. This morning it suddenly struck me what I like so much about their games aside from the great graphics, which just get better and better, and the really good story lines, and that's their irrepressible sense of humor.

It's sometimes a wry sense of humor, and sometimes it turns up in strange places, but even then it somehow fits. In Origin, for instance, when you've penetrated the abbey and gotten rid of some possessive rats, dealt with an animalistic monk in a pretty dreadful way, and recoiled with horror from the things hanging on hooks in a dank, stone passage, the sequence that follows actually makes you grin. Was it supposed to be funny or terrible? I don't know. It could have gone either way, and seeing the poor old monk locked in a cage makes it seem as if the monks' ritual should have been really frightening, but it was so ridiculous, so like the worst Ed Wood B-movie ever made, I keep thinking they meant it to be that way to relieve the tension of...oh, having to think. <g> At any rate, I couldn't help laughing and I could imagine the Frogwares team laughing, too, when they created that scene.

You can depend on Watson to take things seriously, but the Frogwares Holmes sometimes makes comments that crack the image of the inhuman thinking machine. When he indicated that he knew what some of those..um, parts...from the murdered women were for in Jack the Ripper, I laughed out loud, and grinned when he remarked that, despite what everyone thought, he almost never wore that deerstalker hat.

Frogwares is a pretty big studio, a successful one, and yet they seem to really enjoy what they're doing and they don't seem to have lost their zest for making games. I'm reminded of Ron Gilbert's remarks about working at Lucas Arts with Tim Schafer and someone else I can't recall at the moment (shame on me), talking about how they'd laugh themselves silly, not just once in a while, but every day as they hashed out what they'd be doing with a game. Well, of course, I can't be sure. Wael Amr may be glaring at the Frogwares team and cracking the whip incessantly. <g> But it sure doesn't feel like it when you're playing one of their games.

Their sense of humor, the inability to take anything too seriously for too long, is a big part of their attraction for me and one reason why I'll probably play Testament even if the Great Detective does seem to have lost his distinctive appearance in it. Maybe it's a disguise.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787477
02/12/12 05:47 PM
02/12/12 05:47 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I love Frogwares games. You can always count on a high quality production and you can tell the games are a labor of love. I have noticed the subtle humor also and they always make me smile.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #787586
02/13/12 02:51 AM
02/13/12 02:51 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
"I love Frogwares games."

So do I !! Everything about them !!
broccoli broccoli broccoli

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787601
02/13/12 05:06 AM
02/13/12 05:06 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
bravo bravo I love Frogwares Games too! bravo bravo

Gerry
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787735
02/13/12 01:43 PM
02/13/12 01:43 PM
United Kingdom
Carla Offline
Addicted Boomer
Carla  Offline
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
..and me!

Carla happydance

“Come what come may,
Time and the hour runs through the roughest day.”
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787750
02/13/12 02:25 PM
02/13/12 02:25 PM
Greece
Haroula Offline
Adept Boomer
Haroula  Offline
Adept Boomer

Greece
me too happydance wave

I change all my passwords to "incorrect". So whenever I forget, it says, "your password is incorrect".

Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787761
02/13/12 02:48 PM
02/13/12 02:48 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
But why? You guys must surely have some reason for liking Frogwares games so much...better than some other developers' games. What is it that makes you keep coming back for more?

I've already said I love their mischievous sense of humor. Frogwares has kept the faith with me with their ingenious puzzles, but not too many of them since I'm an inventory puzzle nut, and their (already noted) great graphics and story lines. What is it for you?

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787764
02/13/12 02:54 PM
02/13/12 02:54 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
THe atmosphere, the graphics, the story, the ease of gameplay, the way the clues are presented and the puzzles. Those are just a few of the things that keep me coming back.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787769
02/13/12 03:04 PM
02/13/12 03:04 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
How could I have forgotten the ease of gameplay! You're so right, Ana, that is a big part of what makes their games a treat to play.

Gil.

Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787774
02/13/12 03:20 PM
02/13/12 03:20 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
A lot of developers put great puzzles in but a very poor layout of clues. I may need MaG's walkthrough to get me through a spot in a Frogwares game but it's only because I wasn't paying attention. You always know it's there somewhere.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #787815
02/13/12 04:55 PM
02/13/12 04:55 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
That goes for me, too !!

[Here we go again !!!! rotfl]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787862
02/13/12 08:52 PM
02/13/12 08:52 PM
Duluth, MN
Gnabgib Offline
Shy Boomer
Gnabgib  Offline
Shy Boomer

Duluth, MN
One of my favorite jokes is in the awakened when Sherlock solves a puzzle box for a young boy and Watson tells him to use his little grey cells, then the conductor talks to the boys mother who's name is reveled to be Poirot.

"To Alcohol, The Cause Of And Solution To, All Of Life's Problems." Homer Simpson
Currently Playing: ResidentEvil 6 on PS3, Penumbra: Necrologue on PC
Re: Frogwares: A Sense of Humor [Re: traveler] #787883
02/13/12 09:50 PM
02/13/12 09:50 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Lol! I'd forgotten that, Gnabgib. That was funny.

I'd also forgotten, though, that The Awakened nearly drove me crazy as I tried to find my way around that rocky promontory after Holmes went down the hole.

Okay, Frogwares, strike one! lol

Gil.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users