GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot #821503
07/12/12 10:18 PM
07/12/12 10:18 PM
D
DaveHT Offline OP
Settled Boomer
DaveHT  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
D

Brace yourself before you start reading this review of Resonance on Gamespot...

http://www.gamespot.com/resonance/reviews/resonance-review-6384992/

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #821505
07/12/12 10:21 PM
07/12/12 10:21 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I haven't played the game so I don't know how accurate their review is, but given their past adventure game reviews I don't put any weight on it.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #821511
07/12/12 11:24 PM
07/12/12 11:24 PM
W
Wincey Offline
Settled Boomer
Wincey  Offline
Settled Boomer
W

I personally would have given the game a 6.5 or 7. It's definitely not mediocre but not great either. The review made it out like it had no merit at all which anyone can tell isn't true.

Still, they've done worse:
Anacapri The Dream: 2.5
Scratches: 3.9
The Dig: 4.5
Barrow Hill: 2.6
Phantasmagoria: 3.7

Last edited by Wincey; 07/12/12 11:57 PM.
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #821512
07/12/12 11:38 PM
07/12/12 11:38 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
I have no desire to play Resonance. I had no desire to play it before I read that review. I don't like sloppy graphics and Wadjet Eye hasn't published a game with decent graphics yet, though I enjoyed the drecky looking The Shivah...back when it was free and the product of a forgivable amateur.

That said, it really makes me mad that anyone who has a different opinion is jumped on immediately and inevitably, somewhere down the line, is called a troll. If the reviewer didn't like it, he didn't like it. What does it matter what site he's on? He gave his reasons. He doesn't have to have the same, lock-step opinion as all the fans out there. Frankly, I wish someone had thought as little of Botanicula as I did but I have better sense than to say, almost anywhere else, that I got bored with it.

At least here on Gameboomers I won't get the finger in response, which is what generally happens when someone goes against the current.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: traveler] #821516
07/13/12 12:08 AM
07/13/12 12:08 AM
W
Wincey Offline
Settled Boomer
Wincey  Offline
Settled Boomer
W

Originally Posted By: traveler

At least here on Gameboomers I won't get the finger in response, which is what generally happens when someone goes against the current.

This is what happened to me on another adventure gaming forum when I said I thought Resonance wasn't that great. I'm glad to hear that GB tolerates different opinions.

Having played the game I personally think this review is more accurate than the 4/5's and 4.5/5's that it has been getting on a lot of other sites. I don't think he gives enough weight to the interesting puzzle system but he's right about the writing and dialogues being weak.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: Wincey] #821525
07/13/12 01:32 AM
07/13/12 01:32 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Gamespot are known for slating Adventures. I don't know why they bother to review them duh

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: Mad] #821528
07/13/12 01:37 AM
07/13/12 01:37 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Originally Posted By: Mad
Gamespot are known for slating Adventures. I don't know why they bother to review them duh

So, none of the reviewers on Gamespot...I assume they have more than one...are ever right?

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: traveler] #821553
07/13/12 05:38 AM
07/13/12 05:38 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
One can't say a reviewer is right or wrong ....

What one can say is that reviews at Gamespot are seldom "favourable" if they are about Adventure games laugh

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #821616
07/13/12 01:17 PM
07/13/12 01:17 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to games and reviews. I have played many different games as well as many demos for games, including, but not limited to the demo fra Gray Matter. Let me be frank here: I didn't like it, based on the demo. To me, it looked like something from 5-10 years ago, slideshows graphics I can learn to live with, but the story to me was very slow in picking up and the puzzles were puzzles from adventure games many years ago. Nothing wrong with that, I know many people like this. But if I were to make a review for Gray Matter, I would list why I didn't like the game, the reasons for it, and of course also mention the things I found that was done well in the game.

A review is a personal opinion of the reviewer of said game, say Gray Matter, or Sherlock Holmes: Testament of Sherlock Holmes (to take more recent and upcoming example). Most reviewers however do not know to review a game properly - and I suspect that it has something to do with this: most game reviewers began to review games 20 years ago or 10 years when they were in school. And as such the review form for games didn't exist yet. But as my old Danish teacher always said, "it is not enough to say This game sucks or I like this game. You must give your reasons for it." And reviewevers at gamespot - and other major gaming websites tend to forget this - when they review adventure games - or sometimes - rpg games as well.

Also, many times it seems that some publishers puts a mild pressure on gamesites to publish a favorable score for say games like Call of Duty or Mass Effect 3 - that's why I only trust my fellow Boomers's rview of adventure games or other rpg-players review of rpgs. However, for a game like DA2, my opinion (great game) seemed to be in the minority - at least on the Bioware boards.

Gamespot is a major game site, and needs to compare say Resonance or Gray Matter or any Sherlock Holmes game to what is called mainstream. And try to figure out how the mainstream audience will find this game and as such review the game accordingly....

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: Karsten] #821630
07/13/12 02:12 PM
07/13/12 02:12 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Originally Posted By: Karsten

But as my old Danish teacher always said, "it is not enough to say This game sucks or I like this game. You must give your reasons for it." And reviewers at gamespot - and other major gaming websites tend to forget this - when they review adventure games - or sometimes - rpg games as well.

This particular reviewer at Gamespot did give his reasons for his opinion of Resonance. He didn't totally dish it. He said it had "some clever puzzles, innovative 'memory', and good music". But he thought it was "poorly conceived and written" and that puzzles were often "contrived or confusing".

People may not agree with him but he can't be accused of flipping it off as Mediocre for no reason.

Gil.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: Karsten] #821666
07/13/12 05:39 PM
07/13/12 05:39 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Karsten

Gamespot is a major game site, and needs to compare say Resonance or Gray Matter or any Sherlock Holmes game to what is called mainstream. And try to figure out how the mainstream audience will find this game and as such review the game accordingly....

I might be wrong here but when you say 'mainstream' I'm guessing you mean other genres that fall ouside of the niche of pure adventures? As such they should be reviewed and graded according to the particular niche they fall into & compared to similar & not 'mainstream'! If the review is good enough it will state what niche the game falls into and give enough info for fans of the genre & broader audiences to make up their minds about whether the game is for them - whether the reviewer liked the game or not is neither here nor there to me as long as they have detailed their reasons!

I loved Resonance but actually, in hindsight, can't disagree with a lot of the criticisms except for the part about the 'trial & error' of what characters to use where - whatever happened to a little bit of working things out for yourself & not being led by the hand! - it was quite obvious after a little 'research' who were the best people to use! The Gamespot review did mention the positive aspects of the game which unfortunately got overshadowed by harsher views! The fact is that often a game, film etc that has flaws can be more appealing & popular than something deemed to be more perfect!

traveler, I would hesitate to call the graphics in WadgetEye Games 'sloppy'! - yes! they're retro but I think they do a great job of producing very good games on a limited budget well reflected in the price you pay for them! - but no! not to everyone's taste!

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #821673
07/13/12 06:27 PM
07/13/12 06:27 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
chrissie,

Have you ever played the free game, Spooks? Well done, very good, interesting graphics. Kinda short but haven't I read that Resonance isn't all that long? Or the free game, A Tale of Two Kingdoms? The game is long, has several endings and the graphics are immeasurably better than those in Resonance. The limited budget came out of those dev's pockets but they did a great job on the graphics (especially in Spooks by The Ivy).

"Retro" is a choice and not a very good one, IMO.

Gil.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: traveler] #821732
07/14/12 03:01 AM
07/14/12 03:01 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi traveler, I haven't played either of those games but will take a look at both of them! smile

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: chrissie] #821831
07/14/12 12:20 PM
07/14/12 12:20 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
chrissie,

Two Kingdoms (2007) is the product of a team and I think it says something for them that their game is still one of the most downloaded on AGS. The background graphics are especially nice, definitely not retro.

Spooks is the first game that Ivy did. It is Retro, so you see I can like a game like this even if I prefer something more polished. Here, Ivy was just starting and her use of color, while not earth-shakingly creative, was clever, I thought. Since then, she has made more games (Little Girl in Underland cracked me up) and the graphics keep getting better (although she seriously cannot draw. grin)

This is my major problem with Wadjet Eye. The look of a game is dead last in their 'to do' list and stays dead last.

Gil.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830368
08/23/12 11:35 AM
08/23/12 11:35 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline
Settled Boomer

deep south
I just got my boxed copy of Resonance, which I ordered a while back without having seen the graphics because it was in a box. I agree with Traveler about Wadjet games in general. Resonance is clever enough in terms of the interface that I sighed, reminded myself how much I enjoyed GK1 a couple of years ago, and decided to play. So far, as long as I keep saying to myself "looks aren't everything," I'm enthralled, in fact, enthralled enough that I just started over once I actually read the directions.

Reading the instructions for Resonance is a good idea.

I know the GK1 analogy is false in the sense that the graphics were good when it was made. My point, though, is that I loved it playing for the first time when graphics had moved light years ahead.

If everything in Resonance blows up per the beginning sequence at the end, I'm going to feel shafted. Graphics so retro that I have to play through a veil of goodwill won't sustain that much geo-political noir. But don't tell me.

Last edited by 8dognight; 08/23/12 11:39 AM.
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830419
08/23/12 05:47 PM
08/23/12 05:47 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I too ignore Game Spot having seen bias against Adventure Games many years ago. Rather than get frustrated with the joy stick crowd I stay away.

Regarding comments about retro graphics found in Wadjet Eye's games it is my sense the decision to go retro is a result of economics rather than choice. Dave is using the free downloadable game engine from AGS to make his games. What independent creative developer can afford the elaborate game engines available to the corporate operations? What independent creative developer stands a chance to work with such an operation? You have to start somewhere.

You do not see those guys giving free game engines to struggling artists. As seen in the Blackwell series the creativity found in character development, voice acting and story content is far superior to a lot of the garbage foisted upon us by graphics hogs.

I am no fan of "retro" graphics, however, a close look at any Blackwell Game will reveal superior clarity than that found in GK1. I am not saying Blackwell is better than GK1 as a game, but the graphics are. The retro graphics are just an excuse to pile on. Since when are the graphics essential to story telling? Oh yeah, graphics can hide the lack of good writing.

You have to examine the game not the glitz. I could list a hundred games right now produced by corporate gaming that can't hold a candle to some of Dave's creations. You might consider many games hide their failures behind glitz. If my sense is correct I'd guess Game Spot's trashing in their latest hit piece is based upon two things. One is, it's an Adventure Game, the second is the retro graphics. The joy stick crowd depends on Star Wars glitz not content.

The reviewer supposedly listed what he did not like about the game. Big Deal, I guarantee you if I had a particular bias against a genre I would have no problem finding several weak points in any "game of the year" and beat it to death.

I have not played Resonance it does not appear to be a game I'd like. That sense has nothing to do with graphics. Resonance simply is set in a theme I do not enjoy or hold an interest in. Just my two cents.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: oldmariner] #830423
08/23/12 06:20 PM
08/23/12 06:20 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Originally Posted By: oldmariner
What independent creative developer can afford the elaborate game engines available to the corporate operations? ...You do not see those guys giving free game engines to struggling artists.

oldmariner,

Actually, yes, you do. It took me less than a minute to find Panda 3D a free, open source game engine. Look at the games that were made with it: Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island and A Vampyre Story. It is not the only free, open source game engine out there that could probably beat the socks off AGS.

Quote:
The reviewer supposedly listed what he did not like about the game. Big Deal, I guarantee you if I had a particular bias against a genre I would have no problem finding several weak points in any "game of the year" and beat it to death.

By the same token, if someone has a down on a particular website, nothing anyone can say will convince him or her that one of their reviewers was being fair and setting aside bias as much as possible. Bias works in more than one way.

Gil.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: traveler] #830424
08/23/12 06:42 PM
08/23/12 06:42 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

[/quote]

By the same token, if someone has a down on a particular website, nothing anyone can say will convince him or her that one of their reviewers was being fair and setting aside bias as much as possible. Bias works in more than one way.

Gil. [/quote]

That is true, however, far too many AGs are trashed on that particular site supporting opponent's view they are biased. The body of reviews in total strongly suggest they are only interested in supporting the joy stick crowd.

The attitude presented at Game Spot appears to be condescending regarding AGs. You are free to defend them if you wish, but that is how I see it based on hundreds of reviews that appear there. If I want a review of an Adventure Game I will search here and at Adventure Gamers or Just Adventure. At least on these sites I have a sense the reviewers know what they are talking about and do not present a superior know it all attitude.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830427
08/23/12 07:29 PM
08/23/12 07:29 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
I am not defending "them". I am saying that I found this one reviewer credible. Others may believe they all march in lockstep. So be it.

Gil.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830439
08/23/12 08:50 PM
08/23/12 08:50 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Traveler

I did not read the review in question, nor have I played the game.

Based on comments you have made here over the years my view is your opinions are valid. I have no reason to doubt you on this point. I will take your word that what the reviewer wrote is credible.

In general I have a low regard for that web site's opinions and do not go there. Gameboomers, Adventure Gamers and Just Adventure along with Mr. Bill are all that is required to find a reliable Adventure Game review.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830443
08/23/12 09:10 PM
08/23/12 09:10 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Isn't it great that we can all have our own opinions? yay

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830732
08/25/12 08:07 AM
08/25/12 08:07 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline
Settled Boomer

deep south
Previous posts lead me to wonder why Gameboomers isn't reviewing Resonance. So many games, so little time?

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830767
08/25/12 11:22 AM
08/25/12 11:22 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

It's on the list for reviewing!

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830881
08/26/12 02:51 AM
08/26/12 02:51 AM
deep south
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer
8dognight  Offline
Settled Boomer

deep south
You're a trooper, as amazing as the intrepid WT writers.

Re: Yikes! Resonance review on Gamespot [Re: DaveHT] #830915
08/26/12 07:26 AM
08/26/12 07:26 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

That's a tough standard to live up to! Thank you for your kind words. yes

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pandora), 273 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users