GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? #940025
02/13/14 01:35 AM
02/13/14 01:35 AM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
Hi everyone, it's been ages since I've been on these boards but I'm desperate to hear others' thoughts on this.

Why are so many games lately only available in retail DVD versions in Germany? And why is it so hard to get information on whether a DVD version of a game is playable in English or not? Am I the only one who cares about this?

My facade has cracked to the point where I will buy a digital version if there's nothing else available, but if there is a retail version I can play, or if one will be coming out and it's just a matter of waiting for it, I want to get that one.

It's gotten to the point where I've ordered games from amazon.de and taken chances on whether I could play them or not. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, and I hate it.

:(

Regards all.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940066
02/13/14 09:53 AM
02/13/14 09:53 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

There are a lot of game developer-producers in Germany. They have the advantage also of many adventure gamers there. So it is profitable to make DVDs for them.
They cannot release DVDs in other countries unless they have a contract with producers in those countries or get an international license. With the cut in profits, license hassle, etc - it is not good business.
There very few developers in NA. The dearth in producers of adventure games in NA is caused by bad management practice.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940074
02/13/14 11:00 AM
02/13/14 11:00 AM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
MaG, I agree with everything you said, but:

1) Why can't they put the English version on the DVD also? I guess no demand?
2) Why isn't there a relatively easy way to find out what languages are playable on a given retail release?
3) Why isn't there a relatively easy way to find out what plans there are for wider retail releases? (Maybe for this one the developers/publishers themselves don't know until they see what business the initial release does.)

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940090
02/13/14 12:46 PM
02/13/14 12:46 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

1. Localizing costs money: location, tech personnel, studios, directors, voice actors, etc...
If text changes only - technical hours, language editors, etc...
2. Language is usually inferred at the box cover or if there is an English release - it is announced by the PR at English websites.
3. Again - monetary consideration. If the local release is not successful; then they will not move forward with it.

As you can see from the kickstarter or other funding requests; the costs of the changes-addition-music-graphics-etc are considerable.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940093
02/13/14 01:17 PM
02/13/14 01:17 PM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
Well, regarding #1, most of the time there is an English release (sometimes even at the same time as the German release), but it's download only. DVDs have a lot of space and usually there is room to include both versions, they just don't. :(

Thanks for the responses though.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940099
02/13/14 02:32 PM
02/13/14 02:32 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Well, remember how they would refuse to stock adventure games in retail stores -- or if they did, it would only be a handful of older ones. They were only interested in stocking the top selling games -- which were not adventure games. Then they'd complain adventure games didn't sell for them. Of course people couldn't buy what the stores didn't have.

You might be interested in this article, first published in 2002 and still mostly true for adventure games (though casual games have started to replace action games as the biggest sellers).
***In the Shadow of the Monster: Adventure Games and Market Forces***

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940112
02/13/14 04:57 PM
02/13/14 04:57 PM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
Thanks Jenny...again though, I just wish that if they are going to release a retail version, they include as many languages as possible on the disk.

Daedalic in particular is playing all sorts of games. The German gamers are up in arms because the downloadable releases don't contain the German version, and I'm annoyed that the retail version is ONLY in German...

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940116
02/13/14 05:55 PM
02/13/14 05:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: hammer
Thanks Jenny...again though, I just wish that if they are going to release a retail version, they include as many languages as possible on the disk.

They used to do that. There used to be "International" versions with several languages on the disc so it could be sold throughout Europe. That was over 10 years ago though. I think the companies that did that all went broke or were assimilated.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940133
02/13/14 10:18 PM
02/13/14 10:18 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
For awhile there was a UK seller on Amazon that sold a lot of games in English including Daedalic games. You had to be watching every day or you might miss them. However, I haven't seen this seller or any games on disc there anymore. I often thought of trying Amazon.De also but didn't know if I'd be able to or if they'd ship here.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: oldbroad] #940205
02/14/14 12:10 PM
02/14/14 12:10 PM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
Here is some hard-won information - Amazon.co.uk apparently will not ship video games to the US. Amazon.de will, but only if it's sold by Amazon itself, not from a marketplace seller.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940213
02/14/14 12:47 PM
02/14/14 12:47 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Yup. Amazon.de will ship to the US (though they charge a lot for shipping) while Amazon.co.uk will not. I assume it's something to do with the licensing for English versions vs licensing for German versions.

For a very few games where there are few if any conversations, you can play the German version without much problem. But games like that are rare these days when there are more story-driven 3rd person games than 1st person puzzle-based games. Of course if you can speak German there's no problem at all.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: Jenny100] #940662
02/16/14 09:05 PM
02/16/14 09:05 PM
Virginia's wetland dimension
Salar of Myst Offline
Addicted Boomer
Salar of Myst  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Virginia's wetland dimension
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Well, remember how they would refuse to stock adventure games in retail stores -- or if they did, it would only be a handful of older ones. They were only interested in stocking the top selling games -- which were not adventure games. Then they'd complain adventure games didn't sell for them. Of course people couldn't buy what the stores didn't have.

You might be interested in this article, first published in 2002 and still mostly true for adventure games (though casual games have started to replace action games as the biggest sellers).
***In the Shadow of the Monster: Adventure Games and Market Forces***

Thanks for the link. That was an eye-opener!

I think this article has the right of it. The shift from "adventure friendly" to "adventure unfriendly" articles happened so fast in Computer Gaming Mags that there was no way the usual explanations made much sense. It puzzled me no end at the time, especially since this was in spite of big name adventure games (TLJ, Myst 3) that were still recent news back then. It looked like something ordered from someone on high (who owned the magazines perhaps and wanted to focus on action genres?)

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940817
02/17/14 06:57 PM
02/17/14 06:57 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
There are still many adventure players in Germany smile And the German market is not only the 80 million people living in Germany, it is more like about 100 or maybe 120 million people, if you include the Austrian and the Swiss population as well....and the population of Tyrol as well. (part of Tyrol is now in northern Italy....)

There's a market then for adventure gamers in Germany and in Europe as well. Most Danes and Dutch people etc. do understand some German. As for the article, I haven't read it, but experience - and 15 years of playing videogames - have taught that what it says probably seems very true...

I remember being disconnected from the internet around 2000/2001, when I got connected to the internet again back in 2002, maybe early 2003, all had changed. A
lot of the smaller sites had disappeared or had been merged into the larger ones. Before 2001/2002, selling say like 100.000 copies of a game was seen as a succes, and selling 400,000 copies of a game was seen as a triumph. I can't say whether or not the shift from adventure games to action games was decreed from above on high. I do seem to recall though that Half Life and CounterStrike were big successes. And that means a lot to the people in power that decided what games are to be make...

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940944
02/18/14 04:26 PM
02/18/14 04:26 PM
M
Monokuma Offline
Junior Boomer
Monokuma  Offline
Junior Boomer
M

If you prefer physical/retail releases there is a site that makes unofficial patches that converts euro releases (German,French,Russian etc) to English ones. You install the game from the original CD/DVD you bought and then apply a small patch and you have the English version.

Most of the times the English version of the game IS included in the CD/DVD but it is disabled or it's missing only a few files. For example, this guy released a patch that converts Mozart - The Conspirators of Prague in English with full English audio, English menu and English subtitles and the game was never released in English! Not even as a download!

The site is: http://shinji-nerd-life.blogspot.com/

Today he released a patch for the 1st Red Johnson's Chronicles game!

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #940949
02/18/14 05:11 PM
02/18/14 05:11 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks Monkuma

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: Monokuma] #941396
02/21/14 01:34 PM
02/21/14 01:34 PM
New York
hammer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
hammer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

New York
Originally Posted By: Monokuma
If you prefer physical/retail releases there is a site that makes unofficial patches that converts euro releases (German,French,Russian etc) to English ones. You install the game from the original CD/DVD you bought and then apply a small patch and you have the English version.

Most of the times the English version of the game IS included in the CD/DVD but it is disabled or it's missing only a few files. For example, this guy released a patch that converts Mozart - The Conspirators of Prague in English with full English audio, English menu and English subtitles and the game was never released in English! Not even as a download!

I found this site a couple of months ago myself but thanks for posting it - it is a great resource.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #941458
02/21/14 08:36 PM
02/21/14 08:36 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
What about French versions? I buy all these games with supposedly all European languages included, but my computers and iPad will only install the English version without giving me a choice.

When I went back to the developers, they told me it would install in French only if I were to reset all my machines to French, which I am not willing to do. Argh!

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: hammer] #941472
02/21/14 10:41 PM
02/21/14 10:41 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: rmt
What about French versions? I buy all these games with supposedly all European languages included, but my computers and iPad will only install the English version without giving me a choice.

When I went back to the developers, they told me it would install in French only if I were to reset all my machines to French, which I am not willing to do. Argh!

I'm guessing if you changed the language, installed the game, and then changed the language back to English, the game would stay in the language you installed in.

It's not that difficult to change the language if you have an iPad.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2371

It's also possible if you have a computer with Windows XP
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Language-of-Your-Computer-%28Windows-XP%29

But from what I've read, it's a problem with Windows 7 or Vista unless you have the Ultimate or Enterprise versions. Apparently there is the same problem with Windows 8. I've read about a "fix" called "Vistalizor" but I've also read that "fix" causes Windows to lose its activation so I wouldn't risk that.

But it shouldn't be difficult with IOS on iPad -- assuming changing the language actually works to make the game install in that language.

Re: Why are adventure games only in retail in Germany lately? [Re: Monokuma] #944242
03/11/14 08:09 AM
03/11/14 08:09 AM
Plymouth, Devon,UK
G
gruffy Offline
Settled Boomer
gruffy  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Plymouth, Devon,UK
Originally Posted By: Monokuma

That sounds like a good idea! Any pitfalls to this?

If you want trouble, get yourself a redhead!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, BrownEyedTigre), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users