GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? #962012
06/12/14 10:12 AM
06/12/14 10:12 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline OP
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Illinois
I had a soft-heart about Wadjet Eye games. I've played some and really liked them, UNTIL Resonance. This game is so clunky, and (I believe) actually EVIL, that I learned to HATE it.
First, I went through all sorts of problems just getting it to download and play. NOW, I've fallen into the 'clunkitude' of it, getting objects together and making them do what they're supposed to do, after figuring out why the characters want them to do it in the first place. I don't lock phone batteries up in drawers (nor do I keep spare phone batteries at all). Who would leave important papers lying around on the floor, ever?
I can get to the clocks taking you to different locations, but one clock takes the gamer to one of the most clunky parts of the game. In this part, the gamer is timed, and I feel that is so unfair. I understood a child being afraid of a monster and trying to hide under her bed, but the junk you need to do (while being timed) will make some think about giving up gaming.
I bought this game because it has a sci-fi element, and I LOVE sci-fi. I liked NIKAPOL, a recent game that got few people's interest, but NIKAPOL was done well. It performed properly and was respectable, I've played it twice. Resonance taught me to hate it, and that made me sad.

Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: BubbaJake] #962015
06/12/14 10:31 AM
06/12/14 10:31 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I haven't played it, Bubba. I've had a look at old GB threads, and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, other than gremlin's review (which gave it a B rating), and a thread about the review that Gamespot awarded it (not favourable, apparently).

I'm sorry that you disliked the game so much. :( Some games do affect us like that and make us wish we hadn't wasted the money spent!

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: BubbaJake] #962023
06/12/14 11:40 AM
06/12/14 11:40 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I played it.
Had no trouble running it, but then I used the Mac version from GOG.
Don't know if there's a problem with the PC version.

I agree the interface is "clunky" and takes getting used to.

Overall I had fewer problems with Resonance than with Gemini Rue because of all the annoying shooting in Gemini Rue and the stompers at the end that I was unable to get past. I had to watch the ending of Gemini Rue on YouTube. It's too bad there was no option for "action-free" because the story (and story construction) in Gemini Rue was more interesting than in Resonance.

IMO Primordia was better than either Resonance or Gemini Rue.

Wadget Eye publishes games from different developers. Neither Resonance nor Primordia nor Gemini Rue were made by the same developer as the Blackwell series. I didn't realize that when I bought them and wasn't expecting the actiony stuff in Gemini Rue or the strange interface in Resonance.

Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: BubbaJake] #962025
06/12/14 11:53 AM
06/12/14 11:53 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Resonance is built on the AGS (adventure game system) engine that's quite a favourite amongst indie game developers. I've yet to come across a really polished, modern-looking game built on the AGS, though that's not to suggest it's not possible.

I think that Resonance has to be taken in the light of it's indie roots. It's a bit old school, but technically together, and has a coherent story (which puts it ahead of many adventure games). That was essentially my reasoning for the B grade. (Also, I think it fits in with the 'Boomer Review Guidelines smile )

Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: BubbaJake] #962074
06/12/14 05:44 PM
06/12/14 05:44 PM
Hillegom, ZH, NL
J
Jarkeld Offline
Settled Boomer
Jarkeld  Offline
Settled Boomer
J

Hillegom, ZH, NL
If I recall correctly: Resonance was only published by Wadjet, they didn't develop it.

Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: Jarkeld] #962075
06/12/14 06:09 PM
06/12/14 06:09 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Yeah, but Wadjet Eye let it out the door.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: BubbaJake] #962162
06/13/14 06:45 AM
06/13/14 06:45 AM
Upstate New York, US
NoGreatGamer Offline
Shy Boomer
NoGreatGamer  Offline
Shy Boomer

Upstate New York, US
I played Resonance. I'm not a fan of the retro graphics but can overlook that. It had a good and original story line. But I completely agree the gameplay was clunky and frustrating. Thought it got worse as the game progressed, and I had to put it aside for a bit before finishing. Not a fan of the timed sequences, but it was the parts where you had to repeatedly switch characters and figure out who needed to go where and with whom that had me completely pulling my hair out.

Played the demo of Gemini Rue and decided the game wasn't for me. I played Primordia and thought it was an excellent game. Immediately played it again, which is something I never do. Went to the game website and read all the extras about it. Completely different experience than Resonance.

Re: Am I the only nut who TRIED to play RESONANCE? [Re: NoGreatGamer] #962570
06/15/14 08:09 AM
06/15/14 08:09 AM
ipad_Lover Offline
Settled Boomer
ipad_Lover  Offline
Settled Boomer

Quote:
Overall I had fewer problems with Resonance than with Gemini Rue because of all the annoying shooting in Gemini Rue and the stompers at the end that I was unable to get past. I had to watch the ending of Gemini Rue on YouTube. It's too bad there was no option for "action-free" because the story (and story construction) in Gemini Rue was more interesting than in Resonance.

Although I enjoy playing games on my PC, some games are a joy on other platforms and Gemini Rue was a dream to play using the touch screen on my ipad.

So - the game is well loved on the ipad and it is one of many adventure games I'd never play on a PC.

I may get Resonance, it looks like a great game.

I love playing adventure games like Gemini Rue on my ipad mini and Gray Matter on my PC Netbook.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (manxman, hagatha), 327 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users