GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Classic Cryo games - general discussion #995512
12/30/14 07:53 AM
12/30/14 07:53 AM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
I've got a question for Marian, or anyone else familiar with these Cryo games. Do you happen to know who the prominent English voice actor is of these games with the sonorous voice, with a slight metallic, husky quality, a bit like James Mason? He sounds 'trans-Atlantic' to me.

He's the Shambhalan guru of Atlantis II, the narrator and Heriseus of the Odyssey, and the narrator of Arthur's Knights Tales Of Chivalry. I find him quite intriguing.

As far as I know, only the original French cast gets credited in these games.

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/21/15 02:50 PM.
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #995536
12/30/14 11:44 AM
12/30/14 11:44 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Rich, I can't find any info about the voice of the narrator in these games. I too would like to know who it is.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Marian] #995682
12/31/14 11:29 AM
12/31/14 11:29 AM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
I think it's the same actor who voices Hermes at the end of Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses, but his voice is pitched higher, as he's just a boy. This would mean the dialogue between Heriseus and Hermes is by one and the same guy!

Now, this could mean simply cutting production costs, but I feel it's deliberate, as Greek gods, like Pallas Athena, often assume the appearance of humans, and Hermes is about to travel to Calypso in the guise of Heriseus, so it's really the same person. If so, it's a clever trick.

I also solved another little Odyssey mystery. Inside the Forest of Oblivion, Heriseus meets Pallas Athena (at least I believe it's her) with her shield. She utters what sounds like backwards speech, and it is. However, it's nothing very revealing or even appropriate. She says: "and promise them one hundred more upon your return to Ithaca", which is simply a bit of Circe's 'libation instructions' played backwards.

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #995720
12/31/14 03:48 PM
12/31/14 03:48 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Good info! thumbsup12

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Jenny100] #996352
01/04/15 01:04 PM
01/04/15 01:04 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I didn't know there was a DVD version of the game; that's interesting.

It sounds like it has some of the same stability issues as Arthur's Knights. With Arthur's Knights, the game would sometimes crash when I loaded up a save - but playing the game in Virtual PC many years later, this only happened to me once in many hours of play. It was much less glitchy in Virtual PC.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Jenny100] #996377
01/04/15 03:00 PM
01/04/15 03:00 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Thanks Jenny for your valuable comments!

Yes, I read your Odyssey review (and most of the others online) when I was playing the game and writing mine, and found it very helpful, as well as funny - you have a great sense of humour! :lol12:

I used the multilingual DVD version, which didn't crash, thankfully, but was prone to hanging because of some poor planning or looping of the character movements. As you reported about Merops and the pigs, characters sometimes get stuck in a corner or keep bumping into each other, so you cannot continue.

I saved the game a lot, but dying was sometimes extremely trivial, when you suddenly drown in a pool, of fall down a crack in a bridge, while Heriseus normally has no problem whatsoever walking along cliffs or climbing stairs, even when you press one arrow key down too long.

Most of the screenshots I took were done with hardware acceleration for the purpose of reviewing, but while playing the game, I had to turn it off, because it caused the dialogue windows to flicker. It's true the lack of it made the image more pixellated.

I agree about the Omni-3D. I'd always thought it was 3D, but when you move around, you notice that the background gets distorted a bit like a fisheye lens, and you cannot get a different perspective, so I guess it's a static image projected onto a kind of sphere model. I worked very well though as a simulation, much better than many games developed much later (the kind of 'slideshows' you see even today especially on portable platforms), so I didn't like Cryo's move to this kind of continually shifting perspective.

You summarize it well: great topic, imaginative design, but generally poor execution. This is what plagued a number of Cryo games, especially the later ones - before they went bankrupt.

Regards,

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/21/15 02:52 PM.
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Marian] #996380
01/04/15 03:09 PM
01/04/15 03:09 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Yes, this is the DVD version I bought - for the symbolic price of a few cents - you actually pay mostly for shipping, so it looks like sellers would just like to get rid of it!

Amazon UK version of 'Odyssey'

They were part of a series of multilingual DVD reissues by Cryo, in collaboration with their German subsidiary Modern Games, all with the same cover design.

It was handy to switch to the original French sometimes, as you can read in my review.

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #996407
01/04/15 06:23 PM
01/04/15 06:23 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thanks for the link. Good to know. thumbsup12

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #996426
01/04/15 08:29 PM
01/04/15 08:29 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Cryo used to have pictures from their games that used "Omni-3D" on their website, where they advertised the "Omni-3D" aspect using projections of the entire 360 degree panoramic view. The left side of the projection would be looking one direction and the right side would be looking the other direction. These projections were extremely wide, almost like a horizontal strip, usually looking down a road (both directions) or around a plaza. I especially remember the one for China: Forbidden City. There's part of one of these projections on the back of the ***box for the CD version of China***, near the top. In overall shape they were similar to ***this picture***, though I'm not sure what that's a picture of.

I checked the web archive for examples, but the closest I found was on the ***Archived page for Versailles 1685*** where one of the ***pictures from Versailles*** is a panoramic shot -- except it's part of a collage of pictures and they chopped off half of it to make it more the shape of the other pictures. At one time you could click the small pictures to get a big one, but unfortunately the full picture is missing from the web archive. I remember the full picture as being about twice as wide, and showing views looking down both directions of the street -- all in the same picture.

It's too bad so much of Cryo's old website is missing from the web archive. Almost none of what I remember browsing through is still there.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Jenny100] #996481
01/05/15 08:59 AM
01/05/15 08:59 AM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Thanks for all the references Jenny! thumbsup

You know, I'm in the habit of following old links to these web archives myself too yes, but I nearly always end up disappointed because they generally don't store media bigger than text. So many adventure game companies have gone out of business for the past decade, it's not even funny, which means all sorts of bonuses, artwork, promotion, wallpapers, patches, specs etc. are lost. And Cryo used to have large game glossaries and even encyclopedia online!

It's a pity we can't store more of these on our site, because all outside links are bound to get lost some time.

Some quotes on Omni-3D

From the Moby Games site:
Quote:
"The Omni3D engine [was] developed by Cryo. It was mainly used for adventure games allowing for panoramic 360° rotation, but not providing free 3D movement. It is based on pasting six images as sides of a cube, simulating full rotation."

And from the ScummVM virtual machine site:
Quote:
"I'd like to discuss some in-between games, namely pseudo-3D/360 degree panoramic games where the player is placed in the middle of a big cube or a sphere, and can rotate around 2 axes. The cube has several texture images on each side, forming a room where the player can rotate the camera around a fixed point. Examples used nowadays include Google Street View and the Google Art Project. These kinds of games do not use any complex 3D graphics code, i.e. there is no complex modelling code, no shading, no lighting etc. An example is Myst 3."

Here's some Omni-3D animation (Shockwave Flash) I retrieved from the French Pompei site.

Source:

Pompei (Timescape) Omni-3D Flash animation

Download:

Pomp3D.dcr

If you open it with your web browser (right click), you can pan around 360 degrees with your mouse cursor a bit, and when it changes shape (up arrow) you can move forward, down, or click to change locations. It's very limited, but gives a very good impression, though you can't move vertically as in the real Omni-3D.

By the way, I don't think Cryo is to blame for the demise of 'Omni', well, by proxy, if you like, because they also edited and published games by others, like Arxel Tribe and In Utero. The In Utero games featured these mangled characters and wild perspective changes (Odyssey and Jekyll & Hyde). I think the very different controls, 1st person or 3rd perspectives, lip synching or not, designs etc. that came with them were very confusing, and may have hastened their demise.

I think Cryo should have set up a kind of production line, that is, if they had had the clout, where other companies could supply ideas, storylines and designs, but they were in charge of the execution according to their own standards. I think Kheops Studio later on fared a lot better in this respect - far more consistency.

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/05/15 03:31 PM.
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Marian] #996501
01/05/15 12:47 PM
01/05/15 12:47 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Here's an image with all the multilingual Cryo DVD reissues that came out in 2001:

Image of Cryo games DVDs

It's the cover of a German booklet I have from Modern Games with all the game walkthroughs.

These editions may have included some patches and other improvements on the earlier CDs, but the main advantage is of course no disk swapping is required!

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #996576
01/05/15 10:00 PM
01/05/15 10:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: RichAlexis
Here's an image with all the multilingual Cryo DVD reissues that came out in 2001:

Image of Cryo games DVDs

It's the cover of a German booklet I have from Modern Games with all the game walkthroughs.

These editions may have included some patches and other improvements on the earlier CDs, but the main advantage is of course no disk swapping is required!

Rich

That's an interesting picture. There were also DVD's of Aztec, Atlantis II, Egypt II, and Versailles II, but I don't know when they came out. Also someone once told me the Versailles II DVD had higher resolution graphics instead of multiple languages.

The DVD for Faust had a horrible bug though -- much worse than the bug in the CD version (having a drawer open 90 degrees from where it should). In the DVD version the audio and video were mixed up in the ending sequence, so the audio for the bad ending played while the video for the good ending was playing -- and vice versa -- the audio for the good ending would play while the video for the bad ending was playing. It happened in all language versions.

There was a fix posted at ***Adventuregamers forum*** back in 2005, but it involved having access to the files from the CD version.

Originally Posted By: Kurufinwe
All right, so here's the method to fix the various problems (wrong audio in the end sequence, shooting minigame not working) with the multilingual DVD version of Faust. This works for all seven (!) languages supported by the DVD release.

1. Install the game in the language of your choice.

2. Go to the folder where the game was installed. Copy PACK.INI as well as the DATA folder from the DVD there (that's about 3 gigs!). Windows will nag about DATA already existing and that some files will get overwritten; say "yes, now shut up and do as you're told" when asked.

3. If you wish, you may remove the files for the languages you're not using. This will save a couple hundreds megs. To do that, paste the following commands into Notepad:
Code:

for /D /R %%1 in (FRA*) do rd /S /Q "%%1"
for /D /R %%1 in (GER*) do rd /S /Q "%%1"

and save the file in your install folder as remove.bat and run it. Of course, this is for the English version (which sits on the same side of the DVD as French and German); change things accordingly if you wish to remove different languages.

4. Now, you have to find a way to get the ending videos from somebody who owns the CD version. Those files are called A15S01_E07M11_2.CI2 and A15S01_E07M11_3.CI2 and are located in the \DATA\A05S03\PLA\ENG folder on CD4 (or \DATA\A05S03\PLA\FRA for a French version, etc.). Amerzone posted the English files earlier in this thread; if the link is dead, ask here and others may be able to help. Others may possibly be able to help you with other languages; if it's not the case, you can just put the English files instead, you'll get the ending sequence with English voices and subtitles in your language.

5. Rename those two files to 1505.CI2 and 1506.CI2 respectively, and put them in (Faust install folder)\DATA\A05S03\PLA, replacing the (wrong) existing files.

6. Now, you have to tell the game to use the data on your hard drive. In your installation folder, you should find a file called fl.ini. Open this file with a text editor; the second line should read something like:
Code:

CDPATH: D:\

Replace that with:
Code:

CDPATH: .\

And that's it! You can now remove the DVD (you don't need it to play anymore, which may incidentally make the video sequences run smoother) and run the game.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Jenny100] #996658
01/06/15 01:17 PM
01/06/15 01:17 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Jenny,

Great info again, thanks! thumbsup

Quote:
There were also DVD's of Aztec, Atlantis II, Egypt II, and Versailles II, but I don't know when they came out. Also someone once told me the Versailles II DVD had higher resolution graphics instead of multiple languages.

Atlantis II already is in the picture I uploaded, along with the first Atlantis, but you are quite right about Aztec (The Sacred Amulet) being part of this series, as is shown on the MobyGames site:

Aztec multilingual DVD cover

The reason it's not in my book turns out to be quite pedestrian: no German version, for some reason or other!

I have Egypt II as a DVD release by Austrian company JoWooD. I think the main reason for all of these releases was not technical, apart from the logical switch to DVD. Cryo's assets changed hands so often after its demise that their history has become extremely messy: from Cryo (and its German subsid Modern Games) to DreamCatcher, then The Adventure Company, JoWooD, to Microïds, then Anuman, sometimes Nordic Games, now some on GOG .... crazy

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #996704
01/06/15 03:31 PM
01/06/15 03:31 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Hi Jenny,

Great info again, thanks! thumbsup

Quote:
There were also DVD's of Aztec, Atlantis II, Egypt II, and Versailles II, but I don't know when they came out. Also someone once told me the Versailles II DVD had higher resolution graphics instead of multiple languages.

Atlantis II already is in the picture I uploaded,

Typo -- meant to type Atlantis III -- the one with the psychopomp.

Quote:
along with the first Atlantis, but you are quite right about Aztec (The Sacred Amulet) being part of this series, as is shown on the MobyGames site:

Aztec multilingual DVD cover

The reason it's not in my book turns out to be quite pedestrian: no German version, for some reason or other!

I never noticed that before. It has 6 languages on it, but none of them German. My DVD case has a slightly different cover -- languages listed in a different order.

My Atlantis III DVD doesn't seem to be a multi-language version at all. Apparently my DVD was defective because my computer was very slow to read it. Doesn't matter now anyway, since the game is available on GOG.

Quote:
I have Egypt II as a DVD release by Austrian company JoWooD.

My Egypt II DVD is from Cryo -- no mention of JoWood on the case -- and only includes English and French languages -- no German.

Quote:
I think the main reason for all of these releases was not technical, apart from the logical switch to DVD. Cryo's assets changed hands so often after its demise that their history has become extremely messy: from Cryo (and its German subsid Modern Games) to DreamCatcher, then The Adventure Company, JoWooD, to Microïds, then Anuman, sometimes Nordic Games, now some on GOG

I wish GOG would get all of them -- and get them to play well on newer systems -- without any speed problems (like the uncontrollably fast panning in Egypt 2 and especially China), and with a repaired version of Faust.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Jenny100] #996718
01/06/15 06:02 PM
01/06/15 06:02 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Quote:
I wish GOG would get all of them -- and get them to play well on newer systems -- without any speed problems (like the uncontrollably fast panning in Egypt 2 and especially China), and with a repaired version of Faust.

You sum it up quite nicely, Jenny!

If companies like Anuman (via Amazon etc.) and GOG could guarantee fully ported, specified and tested downloads of these games, I'd be extremely happy! Currently there are just too many issues with all these scattered versions.

If only the original companies were still in operation, they could list all system requirements, issues, FAQs and patches per system in a proper manner.

We're in there pitching too, of course, but were not the suppliers.

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997455
01/12/15 05:42 AM
01/12/15 05:42 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Thanks to everyone for interesting discussion! I am an avid Cryo fan and collector smile

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
At one time you could click the small pictures to get a big one, but unfortunately the full picture is missing from the web archive. I remember the full picture as being about twice as wide, and showing views looking down both directions of the street -- all in the same picture.

I have a collection of some parts of old Cryo websites smile Here is that panoramic picture for you!

Has anybody seen Versailles II DVD? It must be very rare.

I have all Cryo games running fine on Windows 7 x64 - except 'Versailles 2' and 'Mystery of Nautilus' (they need old version of Media Player to run so only VirtualPC for them). There are patches for Odyssey, Time Machine, Egypt 2, Aztec etc. so they would run fine on modern PCs, but they are for Russian versions of the game, and I am not sure they will work for English versions. But if anyone would wish to try, I can give you them!

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Iurii] #997539
01/12/15 02:55 PM
01/12/15 02:55 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Wonderful picture of the Versailles court! Thank you, Iurii!

I couldn't resist looking for the old archived sites again, and I found the source of your image, and two others! smile The Wayback Machine actually captured the Febr. 1997 version of the old Cryo site, and here they are:

Versailles artwork from Cryo, Febr. 1997

Of course I downloaded them too ... you never know ....

No, I haven't seen a DVD edition of Versailles II. The ones I've seen are all CD-ROMs.

With these Cryo games, I always experiment to see what works best. Atlantis I & II I've played both with a patch, and on a virtual PC - I happen to use Qemu myself.

If there are any spurious error messages of 'disk full', characteristic of the limited disk space of the day, I install it on a 1 GB or so USB flash drive, which works out great.

Pompei worked fine on Windows XP without any patches, Odyssey needed a lot of tweaking to get it to run on XP, but after that, I had no problems, and currently I'm playing Versailles 1685 (multilingual DVD) on virtual PC. The reason was that I couldn't adjust the extremely rapid mouth movements and 'jerky' character behaviour, otherwise I would have played it without any emulation, because there are no other bugs I've come across.

I don't have Windows 7 yet, but any patch, even Russian, could be well worth trying out!

Thanks! thumbsup

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/12/15 08:12 PM.
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997542
01/12/15 03:21 PM
01/12/15 03:21 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Quote:
The reason it's not in my book turns out to be quite pedestrian: no German version for Aztec, for some reason or other!

Well, I just found out there is a single-language German version of the Cryo game Aztec aka The Sacred Amulet after all.

If there any German(-speaking) gamers among us who are interested, it's called Der Fluch der Azteken (The Curse of the Aztecs), both on PlayStation and PC, and it was released in 2000.

The PC version was published by, surprisingly, traditional game manufacturer Ravensburger, mostly known for their jigsaw puzzles and card and board games like Memory!

PC version of German Aztec game

The PlayStation version was by Koch Media, a modern company which specializes in digital media like software, CDs and DVDs:

PlayStation version of the German Aztec game

So, I suspect when all the other games were released on DVD through German Cryo subsidiary Modern Games in 2000/2001, there is was a problem, because the Aztec game was already licensed to a different company.

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997588
01/12/15 10:51 PM
01/12/15 10:51 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks, Rich, I hope you get to play it wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997596
01/13/15 12:39 AM
01/13/15 12:39 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Here's an image with all the multilingual Cryo DVD reissues that came out in 2001

I have all these eleven releases (plus Aztec), but I also have this Cryo ad in one of those DVD that shows some extra.

I guess that those are just unrealized plans (I have never seen Egypt II, Casanova and Arthur's Knights I on DVD - and you can note that Odyssey is pictured here with different artwork). But maybe somebody have met them?

Rich, it seems that you are lucky to have no triubles running these games on modern PC smile
In case anyone has troubles, here is Odyssey patch to try. It solves many problems for me, like instant crashing and glitches in text menus. But again, it is for a Russian CD version and I am not sure it will work for others.

If there are any spurious error messages of 'disk full', characteristic of the limited disk space of the day, I install it on a 1 GB or so USB flash drive, which works out great.

There is a patch correcting that issue in 'Atlantis II' made several years ago by a French named Alain Bohl. I have sent him my file so he had made it for a Russian version too. But you can try his original - here it is for DVD version.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Iurii] #997683
01/13/15 12:56 PM
01/13/15 12:56 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Iurii,

Wow, that's an extremely interesting image of all the Cryo DVDs! I'd never even heard of a game about Casanova (but I noticed it's on MobyGames), and indeed, the artwork for Odyssey turned out differently from the one shown here. Some must have been aborted after the Dune fiasco, and the takeover by DreamCatcher, I guess?

Thanks for the Atlantis II patch. I used this patch too to avoid the 'disk full' error, so I wondered why it's different from mine - mine is 2.183.168 bytes. Well, that's easy: I have the 4 CD-version, so the patch is different. I think they were both from the Patches Scrolls site?

I put up the similar patch for the 4 CD-version here. (download from Mediafire)

I also tested the Odyssey patch for the DVD you suggested. It's exactly the same as the one I created by manually editing the file, so it's a lot easier, and it works fine. In both cases, you still have to turn down the hardware acceleration on the display to exclude the DirectX drivers, though, otherwise you get flickering dialogue images.

Is there a way to store these patches more permanently on our site, instead of on outside servers?

Thanks again! thanks

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/13/15 01:30 PM.
Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997713
01/13/15 02:52 PM
01/13/15 02:52 PM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
In both cases, you still have to turn down the hardware acceleration on the display to exclude the DirectX drivers, though, otherwise you get flickering dialogue images.

I don't do this - the patch fixes that bug with dialogue images for me. I have other patches as well if you want smile

'Casanova' is a very nice and pretty game of the 'alternative history' type - but it has some action elements in it (like 'Time Machine'). It is not from Cryo, but Arxel/Wanadoo games are very close to those from Cryo.

As for those unrealized DVD releases - I think they just proved to be unprofitable. Cryo issued its first DVDs in 1998 when only a few people had them, and even in 2000-2001 DVD-Roms were still not common in PCs. If you check old Cryo sites, it did promise both chapters of 'Arthur's Knights' and 'Egypt 2' to be released on DVDs 'soon' after the CD versions. It seems they did not do this after all - but later there were high-resolution versions of 'Altantis III' and 'Versailles 2' released on DVD. Too bad they are so rare - probably published in small numbers only.

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Iurii] #997741
01/13/15 05:36 PM
01/13/15 05:36 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Iurii,

Quote:
I don't do this - the patch fixes that bug with dialogue images for me.
That's weird, your patch didn't have that effect for me on Windows XP. But never mind, I know my way around it. As for the other patches, I'll know where to find you when I need you! At the moment, I'm fine.

Quote:
It is not from Cryo, but Arxel/Wanadoo games are very close to those from Cryo.
I bet they are! Take a look at this image of the cover of the Spanish edition of the Casanova game. This indicates Cryo as one of its publishers, at least in Spain.

As you are bound to know (but other gamers may not), games developed by Arxel Tribe like Pompei (Timescape), Faust (Seven Games of the Soul), Ring (Nibelungen) and Jerusalem were also published and sometimes co-developed by Cryo.

Rich

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: RichAlexis] #997791
01/14/15 01:30 AM
01/14/15 01:30 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Hi Rich,

Of course there were Arxel Tribe games published by Cryo. But their other games, like 'Pilgrim' or 'Hitchcock', had other publishers. Russian edition of Casanova does not mention Cryo, and Mobygames lists Wanadoo as the publisher - maybe Cryo was the publisher only in some select countries.

As for 'Odyssey', the glitches you encounter may heavily depend on the type of your videocard and CPU. About 7 years ago I had once tried an nVidia card - and all CryoGen games were unplayable with characters partly invisible. That's why I always use ATI/AMD cards - all Cryo games work fine with them for me (and with patches fixing their compatibility with post-2000 CPUs and modern versions of Windows) smile

The only problem I was unable to fix (besides 'Versailles II' and 'Nautilus' not running in XP/Vista/7 with newer WMP versions) is the save system in Arxel Tribe games (Faust, Ring, Pompei, Jerusalem) that do not work for me in Windows 7 - only automatic saves work there, and even they tend to stop working after some time. Does anybody know anything about that?

Oh, I just noticed that Jenny100 and Rich have Egypt II on DVD in different editions. Could you please show some pictures of the package? Does it have any extras (like 'making-of' movies present on Atlantis I, Ring etc. DVD or even high-resolution game versions)?

Re: Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses [Re: Iurii] #997850
01/14/15 11:36 AM
01/14/15 11:36 AM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Iurii,

I happen to have an ATI video card, not by design, but simply because it came on-board with my hardware. I used to have nVidia, but that was on an older Windows PC. Still, I get these flickers in Odyssey, but otherwise I have few problems, and if there are, I switch to emulation.

I can't help you with the saving problems. I hope someone else can.

My DVD edition of Egypt is a box issued in 2008 containing both Egypt II and Egypt III. It's from the Austrian company JoWooD, which took over DreamCatcher and its Cryo stock. It won't be much use to most people, because it's in German only.

Image of the JoWooD German Egypt DVD

There is, however, an English CD-version of this box from 2007:

Egypt II + III English CD box

No, there are no extras on this edition, and I think it's the low-resolution CD version, because when you look at the directory tree of the DVD, you see there are still two (empty!) CD1 and CD2 directories on it, so it looks like a straight transfer. Also, the cutscenes are somewhat blocky.

By the way, I'm not German, I'm Dutch, but I can understand other languages, which actually gives me more p(l)aying options! wink

Rich

Last edited by RichAlexis; 01/14/15 11:48 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (fildil, michele rose, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users