GB HOMEPAGE

Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper.

Posted By: k28d13j11

Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/30/09 05:31 PM

Hello,
i am playing Sherlock homes versus jack the ripper.
i am a little stuck, I am where Sherlock got the medicine for the Captain. and he has to go across the steet to Whitechapel church and go through the gate. well I have tried a few times to find the gate, where is it.
thank you
Kathy
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/30/09 05:46 PM

Hi Kathy,

Exit the clinic, cross the street and head right. Just a short way along on your left you'll see an open entrance to the churchyard, and the large church building with a few steps leading up to it just inside the area.
Posted By: k28d13j11

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/30/09 10:03 PM

Hello,
I still can't Homes to enter the church area. He just stops. i have tried the different entrances. I have tried diffent screen sizes still nothing
kathy

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/30/09 10:24 PM

Do you get a magnifying glass icon on the church door?

I don't think it will stop you progressing in the game if you can't locate the church entrance, as Holmes only comments that the church clock is wrong. Just continue playing the game, you can always return to this area later.
Posted By: dadguy

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 04:56 AM

Yes, he doesn't ever enter the church here; he just comments upon the clock being wrong when you click on the door. That's all you need to do.

Dadguy

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 10:03 AM

Thanks, dadguy.
Posted By: Bevlee

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 06:34 PM

I was not able to find the church gate either, but I tried going on with the game, and now I am at Buck's Row and I am examining the body, but am having a problem doing so. I click on the outline of the body and the head and am able to use the magnifying lens on that part of the body, but when the walk through says to "Pull Back" I am not able to do so, to try to examine the rest of the body. What am I doing wrong? All I can see on the screen is the head part of the body. Need some help please. Beverly in Florida.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 08:30 PM

Move the cursor at bottom of the page and back up arrow should appear.
Posted By: mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 08:40 PM

I am at the point where I have filled all the times for the Hanover St. murder. I am able to move the Cadosh figure to 5:29 but can't move E. Long to 5:28. By the way I reversed those 2 names from the order in the walkthrough. (at that point wasn't looking at walkthrough). I think that I really only have to move her back 2 minutes and it should be done. Do I have to start from my last save which was back a bit? Thanks, Mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 08:54 PM

Hi Mel22odie,

Why are you unable to move E. Long, is another figure blocking it? Move it out of the way if so, and then replace after you've moved E. Long.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 09:16 PM

No, It just seems to be cemented to the spot. I think that I will try again to reset the puzzle. Tried once before at an earlier point and not everything in the puzzle reset, but maybe I can reset something and get the symbol to move. Thanks for checking. I'll let you know if resetting works. Mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 09:22 PM

Hope that does the trick.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 11:15 PM

The resetting didn't work for it doesn't clear everything. So I went back to a previous save. This time I followed the walkthrough. I saw that my mistake was to complete the timing on one before moving to the next one. The trick was to move each step with all 3 at each step and that worked. Thanks for your time, Mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 11:24 PM

I know what it means when it says back-up, but I am unable to get the back up curser to appear. Is this a glitch?? Do I really have to check her abdomen in order to continue with the game? I just got a new 23 inch monitor for my computer, would this have anything to do with the curser not working properly?? Hmmm?? I really would like to continue playing this great game. Beverly in "stormy Florida".

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 11:34 PM

Mel, As Rushes tated - it might have been blocked another figure. I keep on moving those but 'only' when Holmes tells me to do so. If it is in the correct place - you can't move the figures anymore.

Bevlee,
You can do the abdomen later if necessary. I jumped all over the place. There is no set order in checking the body.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 05/31/09 11:50 PM

The problem is---I can't get to the abdomen. So I will just try doing something else and continue on with the game and see what happens. Great game, eh? Beverly in florida

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 12:13 AM

I just checked the game. There's a back arrow at bottom left of the screen. Click on it to get out of closeup.
Posted By: abby

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 02:37 AM

can someone help please,iam at deductions on polly nichols murder and i have some the papers put together,but i have like two in each frame that won't match up with anything and let me get on with the game.thank you!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 02:59 AM

I redid from save because I couldn't move any of the other figures to make room, as Rushes had kindly suggested. Now,I'm stuck trying to put the attomizer, which I have, to the perfume for Danny. But I don't have the puffer. Went back and researched the ground next to the barrel where I found the atomizer and there was no puffer. Restored the save at that point and still couldn't find it. It doesn't seem to be anywhere. Is it missing? Thanks for all the help. Mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 03:36 AM

Abby - Check the walkthrough and see which one it matches OR you have not clicked or selected an evidence while examining Polly.

Melodie - The puffer is on the ground beside the barrel that is close to Finley.
Face Finley. Go to his left and is right of the stairs. Look down on the ground.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 04:28 AM

That is the exact place, all around the barrel next to the landlord, that I have been looking at. I went back to an earlier save and it wasn't there. I don't know what I can do. The save before is when Watson is in the school lab. There is a lot to be done to redo it all. I went to the support at Adventure site and there wasn't anything there. Does anyone have a save after the perfume is put together? I don't think that reinstalling the game would help. It's a puzzlement. Mel22odie P.S. I went back to when Watson went to the landlord and it was there then. I guess I'll redo the last 12 pages. Thanks just the same.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 12:21 PM

I was doing the redo and when I got to fixing the pipes couldn't find the elbow. I knew I picked it up. Then I see the arrow and it was on the nest page of the inventory. Found that I didn't have to redo everthing, as I was doing. Went back to old save and clicked arrow and there was the bubler for the perfume. Wanted to let you know. Mel22odie

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 01:53 PM

Glad it wasn't a game glitch. It's easy to forget to use the arrow for scrolling inventories. Have fun now. smile

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 03:13 PM

Boy O Boy----do I ever feel dum de dum dum!! Of course there is a curser in the left hand side of the screen that says close!! I was expecting a close up of the abdomen!! Now that that problem is solved I am on and at em in the game. Whew, thank you. Beverly in sunny Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/01/09 05:46 PM

Have fun Bev.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 01:14 AM

iam still stuck on the reenactment & deductions of polly;in frame 1/2 (i have a black bonnet near the left hand) not matched and (the prostituites only go down this street to exercise)and in 2/2 (the throat was slit from left to right?i have tried and can't get the things left to move anywhere and holmes to say anything so the game can move on back the Baker St.please help me iam stuck with the outline of a body and nothing else to do?Thank You!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 01:59 AM

What do you mean 'not matched'?
If those 2 evidences are not in the reenactment frame, you have to click on the bonnet and get Watson to state about prostitutes.
To get Watson to say that statement, move him down the street and then click on the couple on the left side. The he will say it.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 03:45 AM

Finished. The game is outstanding, even funny in parts. Really liked it. Question: at the end when Holmes is talking to "...", is that really silent even though you see his mouth moving? Pretty sure that it is. If it isn't, my computer didn't have any speech. Is that the way it is? Thanks, Mel22odie
Posted By: tomco

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 11:03 AM

mel22odie--I noticed that Holmes mouth was silent even though it appeared that he was talking. I enjoyed the game and now I must wait another year or so until a new Sherlock arrives.

Tomco

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 01:49 PM

i have took watson down and clicked on the protitutes a couple of times but the ones i have left will not match.when they match there is a string that runs from one saying to the other,these don,t.i guess iam going to have to start the game over,because i dont know what is going on.thank you!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 05:23 PM

The couple that you need to click on are the ones across the road from the body. This is after you noted the lamp down the street.
Posted By: kjos

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 08:14 PM

MaG
Would you know where I can find the saves. Thanks.
Richard

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 08:35 PM

Hi Richard,

This is another one of those hunt-the-save-folder mysteries. I just did some searching and found my XP saves here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[computer name]\Application Data\Games\sherlock holmes versus jack the ripper\save
woozy

But I have no idea where the saves might be if you have Vista.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 09:18 PM

Thanks Rushes I have a win xp. Will look for it. I don't know how you found it I looked all over the files and no luck.
All users
defalt user
local service
network service
and owner
Thats all I have in Documents & settings.
Richard
Posted By: dadguy

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 10:45 PM

You may have to change your Folder Options to show "Hidden Files and Folders" first.

From Windows Explorer choose "Tools" from the menu, then "Folder Options" then click the middle tab "View". You may have to scroll down a bit, but look for "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and highlight the button.

Yours are probably under the user "Owner" so look for:

C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Application Data\Games\sherlock holmes versus jack the ripper\save"

Let us know if you find them. smile

Dadguy

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 10:55 PM

WOW I don't believe it I found the saves----Thanks so much dadguy. Thank you so much.
Richard

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/02/09 11:41 PM

Thanks, dadguy.

Enjoy the game, Richard.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/03/09 12:11 AM

Thanks MaG.
Richard
Posted By: aretha

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/07/09 09:20 AM

I'm at the newspaper office and have found a note in the stove but I can't find a mirror to read the 'backwards writing' with. Should I have one in inventory or is ther a mirror in the office that I haven't spotted? Some detective I am!!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/07/09 10:51 AM

Hi aretha,

There's a small table-top mirror on the desk to the right of the Director's door, I believe. Use the note on that. smile
Posted By: aretha

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/07/09 02:17 PM

Thanks for that information. I'll go look for it.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/07/09 05:50 PM

Good luck and have fun. luck

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/08/09 12:06 AM

I am having trouble with the mysterious message from London Hospital. I have placed the encoded letter on the work table of Holmes, and I can't figure it out. I checked the walkthrough and find that there is a red bar at the bottom. Well---Hello---I don't have a red bar there. O.K. guys----What did I do wrong. Loving this game. Beverly in Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/08/09 12:22 AM

Maybe change the screen resolution under 'options'. See if the screen can fit all.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/08/09 10:43 AM

Have you selected the two documents that will help you decode the letter, Bevlee?

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/08/09 03:59 PM

AH---HA---The problem was that I didn't have the correct documents. When I had the documents right, then I was able to see the red bar at the bottom of screen. Now I will try to decode the mysterious message.
I think I am probably playing too much of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook! Need to concentrate more. Beverly in Sunny Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/08/09 04:06 PM

Great. smile Glad you're enjoying the game!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/11/09 11:12 PM

Oh Oh---Having a new problem: I am at at the Central News Agency at 10P.M. I have a torn letter-piece of blotting letter written in red ink. The walk through says to use the paper on the mirror. Well I don't seem to have a mirror in inventory. Where did I miss getting one? Beverly in Florida

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/11/09 11:31 PM

There's a mirror on the desk right of the Director's door.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/12/09 06:38 PM

Hmmm---So there is!! I seem to be wandering around that office trying to find the desk right of the door where the letter is in the typewriter, can you give me a little shove, can't seem to find icon anywhere around there. Hmmm??? Beverly in Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/12/09 07:21 PM

It is the same desk as the mirror.

I just checked the wt - yup that was confusing. The sentences were not in correct order. slapforehead

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/12/09 07:43 PM

Thanks MaG---I am sure I will be back. I love playing this game, but find it more difficult than the other Sherlock Holmes games. Beverly in Sunny Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/12/09 07:49 PM

luck Bevlee.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/13/09 10:35 PM

I am stuck again. I am at the door to Tumblety's room. I know that I am to use the eyeglass for a closeup of the prints, but when I use the tape measure nothing happens. I have tried several times but to no avail. I cannot get into the room as Sherlock says I need something. How can I get the measurement. Like how many times can you put the tape over the footprints---How can I do it right? Have done it before in the other Holmes games, but this one is kinda sticky. Beverly in Florida

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/13/09 10:42 PM

There is also a liquid spill just below the footprint, be sure to examine that with the lens also. Perhaps that is what is missing?

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/13/09 10:50 PM

No---I did that! I will keep trying but there is a limit as to how many times I can measure, before they let me in the door.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/13/09 11:43 PM

Just a reminder, place the tape at tip of the footprint - click and then pull the tape to the back of the print - click.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/14/09 01:20 AM

MaG--I have done that. There seems to be a clicking noise all the while I am using the tape. I am going to try going back to a previous save and see what happens. But first I am going to sleep and will try in the a.m. Beverly

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/14/09 01:40 AM

luck

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 12:09 AM

I really think that this is a glitch in my game. I have tried several times, and the tape has a clicking noise when I drag it across the footprint. I have done the measuring of footprints before in other Sherlock Holmes games, so it is not that I don't know what to do. I am flying the white flag in defeat!! Would you have a save? Beverly

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 12:18 AM

I sent you after Civil War puzzle. That's the closest one I have.
Have you tried opening the door?

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 10:20 AM

Bevlee, unless you've already loaded the save that MaG sent to you, I have one just inside Tumblety's room with nothing looked at yet. Just let me know if you want it.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 04:00 PM

Hi Rushes, I haven't downloaded the save MaG sent as yet. I would appreciate you sending me the save inside of the room. I am having trouble finding where the saves are. I have been searching most of the morning. They are not in my documents where they usually are. Can you advise?? Thanks, Beverly

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 04:42 PM

For XP, the saves are at: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Games\sherlock holmes versus jack the ripper\save

It's on its way, check your e-mail in a few minutes. smile

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 06:25 PM

Thanks Rushes. I guess I have had a lot on my plate lately, and I just was not thinking right about where the saves would be. I did find them. I live in a retirement home, and due to the economy I am moving from a one bedroom apartment to a studio apartment. I have already 3 boxes full of games, that I need to get to the thrift shop, as I have no room for a lot of my stuff. Really cleaning out. But still trying to find time to play my Sherlock Holmes game. A lot of things had to go, but thank goodness I still will have my computer!! Thanks again for all your help. Beverly in Sunny Florida with a chance of rain this p.m.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 06/15/09 06:36 PM

You're welcome - hope the save works for you. Enjoy the rest of the game. smile

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/01/09 04:36 PM

I am at the part where I get the pencils and compasses for the map on the wall in the apartment. I have the pictures of the victims where they were killed. But then I am having a problem using the pencil and compass to draw an ellipsis. I just can't seem to figure it out how to extend the line meet the two places as the ends.
Can you help me please! Beverly in Florida

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/01/09 05:58 PM

Hi Bevlee,

Make sure that you're using the wooden compass here, not the metal one. Pick it up and click it at the centre of the green line connecting Mitre Square and Dutfield's Yard, then click-hold and drag out until the circle lines touch the two places on the map. luck

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/01/09 06:06 PM

Thanks, I am off to give it a try. Beverly

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/01/09 09:51 PM

Let us know if it works for you.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/02/09 03:21 PM

Yeah----It worked!! Beverly

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/02/09 03:31 PM

Great!

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/05/09 11:34 PM

I just finished playing this great game. I enjoyed playing it but it took me somewhat longer to finish the game than some of the others. Not as young as I use to be I guess. My many thanks to Rushes for the saved game, and the many hints along the way, and of course thank you MaG for the great walkthrough. Couldn't have done it without you guys. Beverly in stormy Florida.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/05/09 11:46 PM

Glad to help. I enjoyed it too.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 07:52 AM

Glad you had fun with it, Bevlee. smile
Posted By: Springchicken

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 12:45 PM

Hello,
I'm sooo stuck with this simple puzzle of the two magnets. I can't pass them in the middle, or any other way. Is there something I don't see? I can't even ask for a saved game, I couldn't find my saves. I have Vista, looked in Documents, in Users-My Name-Saved Games, Roaming - nothing. Please help

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 12:52 PM

Hi Springchicken,

The trick is that the magnets should pass over each other - one on top of the other - rather than passing side by side. As long as you don't touch a wall you won't have a problem. luck

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 12:58 PM

Hi Rushes,
I thought there should be some trick, go to try again. Thanks a lot. wave

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 01:01 PM

Let us know how you get on.

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/06/09 10:47 PM

Hi Rushes,
Sorry for the delay. It was just silly me, I tried to pass not touching the other magnet. Now I'm doing the gas leak and MaG's WT is right under my hand. I'm enjoying this game a lot. Thanks. wave

Re: Sherlock HomesVersus jack the Ripper. - 07/07/09 09:12 AM

Glad you solved it. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community