GB HOMEPAGE

Daemonica

Posted By: oldbroad

Daemonica - 03/18/19 04:54 AM

Please stand by lol

Started this game today and after about 7 hours I'm still trying to figure out how some of it works. I got myself stuck in an evergreen tree before having saved and had to start the game over from the beginning. I couldn't move.

I haven't gotten to any fighting or supernatural stuff yet. I hope I'll be able to handle it.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 04:58 AM

I played this game when it first came out and just loved it. Having said that, it was a long time ago and I barely remember anything about it now. The fighting is pretty easy save for maybe one or two fights, as I recall.

I actually have this installed on my computer right now - I installed it months ago thinking that I would replay it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think it's well worth playing if you can get used to the top-down view and the rest of the interface.

GameBoomers reviewed the game here.

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 05:56 AM

Thanks Marian. I remember reading in some thread that you liked this game a lot. I read the review before I installed the game. The top-down view isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Do you have it installed in Windows 7? I didn't try it there. I put it in the XP.

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 02:24 PM

Yes, I have it installed on Windows 7. There is also a small patch that I applied, which I believe I downloaded from Patches Scrolls.

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 07:27 PM

What is the patch for? Do I need it? I didn't see anything in the review or top of the walkthrough that mentioned a patch for anything.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 08:48 PM

You have made me want to re-play this game, oldbroad !! But I no longer have it. So I've bagged myself a copy from Ebay laugh

Then I went to Patches Scrolls - but didn't understand the procedure for downloading the patch shocked - so moved on to Gamepressure and download their 2006 update.
[Just have to hope it's the right patch !!]

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 08:51 PM

I am pretty sure there was only one patch, Mad, so it sounds like you are good to go. smile

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 09:08 PM

Thanks, Marian kissy

And good luck with the game, oldbroad thumbsup

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 09:15 PM

What is the patch for?

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 09:35 PM

My patch function is described here :-

https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=12101

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 09:41 PM

Thanks Mad. I wonder if I really need it or not. If it would require restarting the game, I'll pass.

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 10:35 PM

I can't remember whether using the patch requires a re-start of the game, oldbroad, but personally, if you haven't got too far in to the game, I would use it yes

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Thanks Mad. I wonder if I really need it or not. If it would require restarting the game, I'll pass.

I am pretty sure that I had gotten through most of the game before the patch was released. I do remember that it made finding the herbs easier. I don't remember experiencing the inventory bug mentioned in the patch description. I don't recall restarting the game for the patch, but I just can't trust my memory about that completely.

Re: Daemonica - 03/18/19 11:20 PM

Okay thanks. Maybe I'll download it and then decide.

Re: Daemonica - 03/21/19 05:26 PM

I've made it into Act 2 which means I fought one fight successfully and I also completed training with the Blacksmith. Left off in the game around 1:30 am not sure what to do next or where to go, but I will hopefully figure that out today.

I did download and save the patch but have not installed it. Still thinking on it.

Are you playing Marian and Mad?

Re: Daemonica - 03/21/19 05:31 PM

I'm not playing the game - I have it installed, though, and will probably play it again in the future.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Re: Daemonica - 03/22/19 09:26 AM

No, not playing the game yet, oldbroad grin

Re: Daemonica - 03/22/19 02:16 PM

Well, I am still stuck but not asking for help yet as I don't want to have you looking at the walkthrough for me when you are going to (maybe) be replaying the game soon. I will try one more time to see if I can get somewhere and if not, then I'll see if the game is on UHS hints or not, and go from there.

Re: Daemonica - 03/22/19 02:17 PM

Well, I am still stuck but not asking for help yet as I don't want to have you looking at the walkthrough for me when you are going to (maybe) be replaying the game soon. I will try one more time to see if I can get somewhere and if not, then I'll see if the game is on UHS hints or not, and go from there. Also, I do have the printed walkthrough right next to my computer if I need to take a peek.

Re: Daemonica - 03/22/19 02:20 PM

That's very thoughtful of you, oldbroad. I just looked to see if Daemonica is on UHS hints, and it is. smile

Re: Daemonica - 03/22/19 02:22 PM

Great, thanks. wave

Re: Daemonica - 03/27/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marian
Yes, I have it installed on Windows 7. There is also a small patch that I applied, which I believe I downloaded from Patches Scrolls.

Hi Marian smile

I decided to see if my copy of Daemonica (bought on Ebay) works ok so I installed it in Win7, installed the update (I think) walked about a bit and then made a save.
But for the life of me I can't find where the save is crazy

As you say you also installed in Win7, could you possibly please tell me where your saves go ??
So I can make a note of that for when I actually play the game.

[AFTER your birthday celebrations, of course !! lol]

Thanks.

Mad wave2

Re: Daemonica - 03/27/19 06:51 PM

I found my saved games here:

C:\Daemonica\Data\savedgames\

Let me know how it goes. happydance

Re: Daemonica - 03/27/19 07:10 PM

Thank you .... That was fast !! But I'm sure you can't have finished your birthday celebrations already ???? shocked

Well .... If I simply open C Drive, Daemonica doesn't show. I have to open "C /Programme Files (x86) to see a mention of it - and I've looked at every file in there but can't find anything resembling saves.

I've also looked in C Drive/Users/App Data - and then Local, LocalLow and Roaming - and can't see anything in any of those, either.

Stumped !! frown

Re: Daemonica - 03/27/19 07:43 PM

No, I am still celebrating - no worries on that score. happydance

I think I probably installed the game outside of Program Filesx86 myself, because that is something I tend to do with older games - install them outside of that. But otherwise, I don't see why the data folder would not be there in the Daemonica folder. duh

I wish I could help more.

Re: Daemonica - 03/27/19 09:56 PM

Did you make a regular save or just a quick save? Don't know if that would make a difference or not; just a thought though.

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Marian
No, I am still celebrating - no worries on that score. happydance

I think I probably installed the game outside of Program Filesx86 myself, because that is something I tend to do with older games - install them outside of that. But otherwise, I don't see why the data folder would not be there in the Daemonica folder. duh

I wish I could help more.

Hi Marian.
Good that you are still celebrating !! joy
Well, I've now installed the game to my WinXP machine and it is running perfectly there AND the save games are readily available in C Drive bravo

But I'm going to please ask a favour ...

Can you possibly zip me the patch you have ??
[I did go to the Patches/Scrolls site and did find the patch but couldn't fathom how to download it from there and save it rather than run it .... so that I could use it with my XP installation of the game woozy]

Hi oldbroad. I can't see how a quick save would be any easier to find on my Win7 machine than an ordinary save headscratch
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
[I did go to the Patches/Scrolls site and did find the patch but couldn't fathom how to download it from there and save it rather than run it .... so that I could use it with my XP installation of the game

If your web browser automatically runs (or unzips) zip files, it's due to how it's configured and not Patches-Scrolls. You can try right-clicking the link that says "Download" at Patches-Scrolls and choosing "Save Link As..." from the context menu. The following link appears to go to the Download box, not the patch itself. I don't see how to link directly to the patch.
https://patches-scrolls.de/download.php?g=Daemonica&f=daemonica-udapte-11.zip

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 11:03 PM

I sent you the patch, Mad. wave

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 11:08 PM

Hi Mad. I was thinking that maybe a quick save would NOT be something you would find and that you would need to make a regular save, not that it would be easier.

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 11:43 PM

Hi Marian.

Thank you so much. However, it hasn't arrived yet woozy

<<<<<<

"If your web browser automatically runs (or unzips) zip files, it's due to how it's configured and not Patches-Scrolls."

Nothing EVER gets unzipped unless I personally unzip it, Jenny100.
But from your link, I was able to download and save the patch, so that's what I have done - and thanks very much yes

Re: Daemonica - 03/28/19 11:49 PM

How odd. I will send it from my other email address and see if that works.

Well, I tried to send the patch from gmail and I am getting a technical error message from gmail and it won't send.

I will try sending it one more time from the email I used originally.

Re: Daemonica - 03/29/19 01:08 AM

Great !! It worked this time, thank you, Marian smile

[Now I have two to choose from. Hehehehe.]

And very grateful I am praise

Cheers.

Mad wave2

Re: Daemonica - 03/29/19 01:23 AM

Glad to hear it. yes

Re: Daemonica - 03/29/19 04:41 AM

I finished the game tonight. I did need 3 nudges, small, but still I shouldn't have needed them. Anyway, excellent game! I'm sorry it took me 12-1/2 years to get around to playing it.

Re: Daemonica - 03/29/19 12:52 PM

Congrats, oldbroad! I am so glad to hear that you liked the game. It's one of my favorites from the last 15 years.

Re: Daemonica - 03/30/19 08:52 AM

Only 3 small nudges, oldbroad ?? I'm sure I'll need more than that once I start playing !! laugh

Re: Daemonica - 03/30/19 05:35 PM

No way Mad. You already played the game and I didn't really find it too hard and I've found that I cannot play games that are hard. I need semi easy at least. If I can play a game without help or without too much help, anybody can! My problem is that I sometimes don't consider everything I should (like following up on some conversations or something) and I often miss picking things up.

Re: Daemonica - 03/31/19 12:44 AM

I might have already played the game, oldbroad, but it was so long ago I remember very little of it.
[I can't always recall events in a game I played a few weeks ago, let alone a few years ago !! lol]

EDIT :

Well .... I've given in to temptation and started playing Daemonica shame So am wandering around town now, exploring and asking questions laugh

Re: Daemonica - 04/10/19 05:00 PM

I've got as far as the start of chapter 4 but am now desperately in need of herbs !! eek

I did use the patch that was supposed to make herbs easier to find - when I installed the game - but I doubt I can now find enough to enable me to cope with the fights that I feel sure are coming up.

A very sad ending to my adventure if that turns out to be the case rolleyes

Re: Daemonica - 04/10/19 05:07 PM

I don't remember how often those herbs regenerate, but I would hang in there for a bit and see if you can gather enough of them to get you through. I do remember worrying that I didn't have enough to make it through the game, but it worked out in the end. I hope it does for you as well.

Re: Daemonica - 04/10/19 05:21 PM

I didn't use the patch and I found enough herbs. I actually enjoyed walking around looking for them. I looked for them mainly at the beginning of each chapter. They seemed to be replenished then.

luck

That really would be a sad ending to the game! The kind that I also find very annoying!!! I'm thankful that I knew I was going to need them.

Re: Daemonica - 04/10/19 06:33 PM

Thank you both grin

I don't mind at all scouring every place for the herbs and have regularly done so - but here, at the start of chapter 4, I can hardly find any frown

Maybe "something" has been round before me and eaten them all !!!! Who knows ???? lol

Re: Daemonica - 04/10/19 06:42 PM

Mad - if you have enough herbs to make some healing potions, make them and then go look again. Also, I'm not a nice person so I didn't try to help everyone who might have needed help. I kept the potions for myself.

Re: Daemonica - 04/11/19 05:32 PM

I think I'll try going back to an earlier save (to when I had more herbs in my inventory) and maybe re-play some stuff in a slightly different order - in case I can retain more of them.

Although I haven't remembered very much of the "detail" from my previous play of this game I'm pretty sure that there was quite a bit of fighting in the latter stages and that I will need plenty of herbs slapforehead

Re: Daemonica - 04/11/19 05:50 PM

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Re: Daemonica - 04/11/19 06:08 PM

Good luck from me too. smile

Re: Daemonica - 04/12/19 04:38 PM

Thanks, oldbroad and Marian grin

I'm not likely to have much "Daemonica" time over the weekend but I will let you know how I go on when I can get back to it smile

Re: Daemonica - 04/20/19 05:09 PM

Well I've still not got back to it !! Hopefully I will soon rolleyes

Re: Daemonica - 04/20/19 08:38 PM

I know the feeling, Mad. wave

Re: Daemonica - 04/21/19 05:14 PM

Yes. But because I haven't found the game to be particularly compelling, there is always the danger I will lose interest and not bother to finish it shame

Re: Daemonica - 04/21/19 05:59 PM

Well, that's sad. I really enjoyed the game. Is that why you no longer had the game? Maybe you didn't find it "particularly compelling" the first time you played it either.

Re: Daemonica - 04/21/19 07:05 PM

I can't remember, oldbroad redface

I haven't actually "given up on it" yet. It's just that there is the danger woozy

Re: Daemonica - 04/30/19 03:31 AM

Well, I put my saves in a safe place and then uninstalled Daemonica over the weekend. Just couldn't summon up the enthusiasm to carry on.
But I have no doubt I will at some time - which is why I've preserved the saves.

I've gone a lot further back in time now though and installed "Quest for Glory - Dragon Fire" on my Win98 machine lol
The game wasn't received that well on release because it was so different from the other QFG games. But I found I liked it and have re-played it a couple of times.

And I might also install something different on my Win7 machine. I have so many un-played games it's quite ridiculous shocked
And so many of them are suitable for Win7 ....

Re: Daemonica - 04/30/19 04:11 AM

Well, have fun with whatever you play Mad. No sense playing something that you're not "into" at the moment. As a rule, I will finish the game even if I lose enthusiasm for it but I definitely reach for the walkthrough more then. I've been mixing up replays and new plays (mostly of old games but one or two newer games inserted) and actually doing quite a bit of playing, both adventure and casuals.

Re: Daemonica - 05/01/19 07:02 AM

Oh, I think you make MUCH more time for game playing than I do, oldbroad. And good on ya !! thumbsup

Re: Daemonica - 05/01/19 04:09 PM

Yes. Unfortunately still nothing else getting done though!

Re: Daemonica - 05/02/19 07:33 AM

Well, at least you are enjoying yourself !! grin
© 2024 GameBoomers Community