GB HOMEPAGE

What was the 1st adventure game you played?

Posted By: old lady

What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:02 PM

My grandson asked what was the very first adventure game I ever played - after a lot of thought and looking through my bookcase of games I "think" it was The Dig that got me hooked and I,ve never looked back. I then wondered which game was the hook for others. think
Posted By: MysteryFantic

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:10 PM

The Dig also was my first game then it was The Longest Journey which really gave the bug for adventure games for me and has been non since.
Posted By: orchgamer

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:19 PM

For me it was King's Quest I. I recall playing all of the next games and remarking how great the sounds and graphics improve!!!
Posted By: Ellimay

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:26 PM

The very first adventure game I Played and that got me started just a bit over a year ago, was" Nancy Drew Message in a Haunted Mansion". Then I acquired her entire series and played most. I started to spread my wings a bit, then played "Return to Mysterious Island " which I loved , then I became addicted.rotfl
I absolutely hate keyboard games and no matter how good the game sounds, will always PASS on them. I love the simple point and click games and there was a lot to choose from , especially some of the oldies. Then, onto some of the darkside.
Sorry for getting a bit long winded. rotfl

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:29 PM

Kings Quest was a wonderful series. What ever happened to Roberta Williams? What a visionary that lady was. Making all those great games when computors were seen as a male business.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:34 PM

blush Many years ago my wife, against my wishes, bought an HP computer. At that time I was fairly sure that these devices were tools of the devil. (I may may still be correct there!) At any rate, MYST was bundled on the computer along with a bunch of other programs. After hundreds of games, dozens of reviews, and thousands (Sigh) of dollars, I'm still playing games and still love MYST and all of its clones.
Posted By: Renee

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 05:49 PM

Much like Haze, many years ago, it must have been 15-14 yrs ago, a friend of mine loaned me a game that had just been released, called "Myst"..she insisted I play it (I had a top of the line IBM clone at the time - I think it only had an 860mb hard drive which was considered huge), and I was hooked! Been playing adventure games on a regular basis ever since!!!!

grin
Posted By: Butcher

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 06:20 PM

My first adventure game was one of the Monkey Island series, can't remember which one though smile
Posted By: Mary

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 06:52 PM

My sister gave me her copy of Myst (when it first came out), since she couldn't get into it. I loved it then, I love it now, and have played tons of games since then!
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 07:02 PM

Well, I was trying to get my sister to play console games with me, and she was trying to get me to play PC games with her.

We played Amerzone together and I loved it. Then Black Mirror, and then Dark Fall. That's all it took. She stopped playing and I decided I had to play enough for both of us wink puppy
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 07:47 PM

Myst
Posted By: Heidi

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 08:07 PM

I also started with Myst and was hooked on adventure games. It still is one of my favorite games.

Heidi
Posted By: TLC

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 08:13 PM

My first one was Nancy Drew Message in a Haunted Mansion. wave
Posted By: HEMLOCK

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 08:19 PM

MYST praise
Posted By: Becky

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 08:41 PM

Myst
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 08:42 PM

For me it was Tomb Raider games ..I know its an action/adventure..But those games got me hooked..Then I decided
I didn't like action & started playing the longest journey.

happydance
Posted By: zookeeper

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 09:12 PM

I remember the first three that I played...
The Dig
Shivers
Myst
...in that order

After that it's all a blur. smile
Posted By: StarLite Moon

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 09:35 PM

I think I've got everyone beat on this subject. My first adventure game was an old Mastertronics game on the Commodore 64 I think it was called Zzzz, then the next was Maniac Mansion also C-64. Now that's really going way back. eek
Posted By: flotsam

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 09:43 PM

Dare I admit I missed Myst? Mine was Riven.
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 09:54 PM

Riddle of the Sphinx. The box was positively enticingly beautiful!

Linda wave
Posted By: Liz

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 10:02 PM

King's Quest 2; the first CD Rom game was Phantasmagoria......and I've been happily hooked ever since.
Posted By: Barry

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 10:06 PM

My parents were adventure gamers and started me on the first adventure game created which was a dos text only game called, appropriately enough, Adventure (also known as The Colossal Cave which can be downloaded and played from the web free)
http://www.intelligent-digital.com/Dload-CCAVE.htm
My first CDRom game with graphics was the game that set the standard for all games since, Return to Zork. The graphics and sound were way ahead of it's time as the first graphic games (Journey as an example)used the text only format with graphics.

Regards,
Barry
Posted By: Mr 2 u

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 10:44 PM

The first adventure game I ever played was Lure of The Temptress on my old Atari st, the next was the first Monkey Island and somehow I stopped gaming for a while.
A few years passed and loads of people were raving how good the playstation was so I bought one and played the Tomb Raiders and the Resident evils , Metal Gear solid, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, I loved those especially the puzzle elements of them, I then bought Broken Sword 1 and 2, and that was that! I knew these were the type of game I liked best.There was a problem though there weren't many pure adventure games for the Playstation so I bought a pc and I've never looked back.
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/25/07 11:44 PM

My first was Sanatoriam
Posted By: jldcat

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 02:35 AM

Mine was a King's Quest game too, I just can't remember which one. I played it on a brand new Windows ME computer so whichever one came out then, back in 1999-2000?

But then I went on a hiatus cause I no longer had a computer so it was Black Mirror that got me started up again. Then it was on to Syberia and the Nancy Drew games.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 03:02 AM

Syberia
Posted By: oldman

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 05:44 AM

My first adventure game was when I had an Apple IIC back in 1980 and it was a text adventure the name of which escapes me. However the first adventure game that I CAN remember the name of was King's Quest. It hooked me and I played every game that Sierra produced and have been playing adventure games ever since.

(sigh) really brings back fond memories.
Posted By: nickie

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 08:28 AM

King's Quest 7 - never dreamed what picking that up on a lark would cost me, since then I had to have them all!
Posted By: thracia

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 11:36 AM

I am also kind of old when it comes to adventure games. I started playing in 1991 on an old IBM computer that my husbad bought fron his company for like $50, when they were ugrading their systems. The first two games I played were Phantasmagoria(a loaner from a friend).Still disturbs me to this day. The next one which is the one that got me hooked was, The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate. That was back in the stone age when games came on floppies.

thracia
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 12:49 PM

Kings Quest 1 was my first game and I was hooked forever. I purchased every Sierra and LucasFilms game that was available after that.
Posted By: connie

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 12:51 PM

My first was Liesure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards.
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 01:24 PM

Mine was Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. Still love it! thumbsup

Rusty monky

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 01:48 PM

It's interesting that so many people are coming up with the Roberta Williams games - Kings Quest, Phantasmagoria,Leisure Suit Larry - I've googled here and there is some fasinating stuff about her on Wikapedia. Maybe I should start a thread in the general forum?
Posted By: Susie07

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 01:49 PM

My initiation into the world of adventure games was with "Wishbringer" by Infocom. I think it took me about three months to get through it but, once I'd finished, I was completely hooked. I'd spend hours in gaming stores browsing through the new Infocom releases until I discovered that other companies, such as Sierra, also put out adventure games.

Susan
Posted By: Becky

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 01:55 PM

Old Lady -- yes, start a thread. I agree with you that Robert Williams is fascinating.
Posted By: Tyke

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 02:13 PM

My very first adventure games were the 'Dizzy' series a cute little egg on legs, on my kid's old Amstrad computer...the games were on tapes and you could not save your game...but we used to leave it on all the time...till we finished one. lol
This was around 1994.

Then my daughters boyfriend got a spiffy new computer and she nattered my soul out to get one...we did, a Pentium 166 with a 2.5gb hard drive and he lent me Phantasmagoria A Puzzle of Flesh which he was stuck on...I was hooked from the moment the game started up and have been ever since. grin
Posted By: Carrie

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 05:02 PM

Can't remember the very first... maybe Phantasmagoria or Goosebumps: Escape From Horrorland.
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 05:10 PM

I got hooked on The Legend of Zelda for the regular Nintendo system. When PC adventure games came out, it was either Myst or Return to Zork that started me into this "hobby" or obsession or whatever.... grin

Koalanut
Posted By: tinagoss

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 06:11 PM

Phantasmagoria
Posted By: Willowstar

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 06:20 PM

Myst was my first game too...the next one I played was Syberia and I LOVED it.....I was hooked from then on and I haven't looked back since.

Willow laugh
Posted By: kraken

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 07:31 PM

Played my first adventure game on a Tandy EX1000. The first game was the Black Caulden, based on the Disney movie. After that my family tried the first King's Quest (never finished). Then my daugther brought home Myst and I was hooked for good. After that was Beyond Time, and many more since.
Posted By: ces

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 08:19 PM

Myst
Posted By: Joan A

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 08:55 PM

Like Barry, mine was also the original Adventure (Colossal Cave) which my father and I played for four solid days on an old Apple IIE. (I even remember the keyboard was part of the whole machine! Talk about dating myself :-) We then went on to the original Zork series - all text adventures and I've been playing ever since.
Posted By: oldman

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 09:57 PM

Roberta Williams is my idol. Her story is fantastic. Her and her husband Ken epitomizes the rags to riches story. I was so sad when (for whatever reason) their company was sold to corporate america who then destroyed what they had built. sad mad

Al Lowe has a very interesting perspective on the sale of Sierra but it's been so long since I read it I can't link to it.
Posted By: Dudemom_2000

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/26/07 10:59 PM

Myst, which of course led me to look for other adventure games which lead me to upgrading my computer over the years so I could look for more adventure games and finally to Myst online! Now I am campaigning for a laptop so I can play MOUL when we go on vacation.
Posted By: Cat in the Hat

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/27/07 05:14 AM

Myst, as I remember, around 1995. A co-worker told me about it, and I still remember how fascinated I became with adventure games. I remember how my computer would freeze up when I had to get in the elevator. How things have changed.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/27/07 09:43 AM

My first Adventure game also was Myst. Still love playing it!
Posted By: Karsten

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/27/07 12:49 PM

My very first adventure game was 'colossal cave' back in 1979 or so. I played it wthout realizing that it was a text adventure game, I (and my father) both gave up when he learned that the dwarf? we played couldn't cross a stream. Little did I know that we supposed to go back to the house and dwon under the house through a tunnel. Anyway, then computer games lie dormant for years, until I got my computer, AMD Athlon MMX K64 4MB graphics card, I think, later updated to a voode 32mb graphics cards, in 1998. The very first computer game I played then was an action game, I think of sort, in which you travelled through different time periods and found building blocks to save the world. This simply was too hard, so I sort of quit this game. But I had gotten the computer game bug, and then bought a game called 'Knight's Templar', I think and a game, called 'Urban Runner' and 'Zork:Nemesis.' And then, of course, the Broken Sword games (1+2).

I can't remember if I played 'Knights Templar' or 'Urban Runner' or Zork: Nemesis first. at that time, I just played games. I didn't realize that there were different genres of games, not before colleague of mine talked about and he recommended that I try out a game called 'baldur's gate'. So in 1999, with money I got from my father for my birthday, I bought Baldur's Gate. And was immediately hooked on rpgs to.

Later I bought Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate and was also completely hooked on adventure games...

I also bought the second Gabriel Knight game, and the Blackstone Chronicles. Unfortunately, frown for me, now, I traded them in a used game store frown I also traded the thrid GL game, I also bought, but luckily I managed to find this again some while ago smile

If you have older games, please don't discard them...

edit:

The reason we could play Colossal Cave was this: in 1979 my father owned a small business. He got a Commodore 8080 (I think?)
for this business. On this machine, Colossal Cave: Adventure was installed - without us both knowing that it was thos game. I really didn't know it either untill I asked someone on the internet. Then I found out smile

Posted By: Sassafras

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/27/07 03:15 PM

My VERY first was The Uninvited on Super Nintendo -it was the first game I had ever played that was all inventory and no fighting. My first pc game was The Seventh Guest and Myst , but I really didn't get obsessed till Phantasmagoria 2 .
Posted By: Jess519

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/27/07 03:25 PM

My first was technically some ancient text-only DOS game we played on our Commodore. I can't for the life of me remember the name; I'd forgotten all about it until I read this thread. It was a murder mystery, choose your own adventure type of thing. And we never did finish it, we kept either dying or running out of time.

My first adventure game with graphics and all was Myst.

Posted By: DaveHT

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 08:09 AM

My adventure first game was The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy on the C64. I remembered getting stuck for a long time on the babelfish puzzle. Even now, I would still consider that game to be quite hard.
Posted By: Daikka

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 09:31 AM

i began pretty late...day of the tentacle was my first encounter followed by indiana jones
Posted By: Gamer

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 12:34 PM

Although Ive been an avid gamer of all types such as with the commadore and all the consoles for many years the first "real" adventure game (My opinion of course ) smile I ever played was when 7th guest was first released then out came "Tex Murphy Under a killing moon" and I was forever lost in the world of adventure gaming. smile
Posted By: granger

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 02:22 PM

My first adventure game was Myst!
I love it!
Posted By: GBC

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 02:50 PM

My first adventure game was Nancy Drew (Haunted Mansion)and then I was obsessed to play every single ND game that was out and I did. Then I played Syberia and was hooked for life.
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 02:52 PM

I cannot remember which came first, my first game or my own computer to play games on, so hubby could get in some bookkeeping time on his/our first computer. But I had a little money left from my meager inheritance from my dad, bought a computer and my first game was Beyond Time. It was also how I found Gameboomers because I was not getting very far in the game and Googled the internet for some help with it and GB looked like it would be helpful to me and very friendly. The rest is history - hundreds of adventure games later and find myself helping others stuck in games too, more than I ever imagined I would be able to do. I'm lovin' it!
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: SKIPPIDY

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 07:44 PM

Riddle of the Sphinx
Posted By: Dineke

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 08:35 PM

The riddle of Master Lu

Posted By: chrissie

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 08:46 PM

After some experiences with other games & eventually getting hooked on the 1st Caspar game which led me to buying a PS1 the first games I bought was a Charity collection which included Myst, Road Rage & Broken Sword 1. I tried BS1 & wasn't impressed to start with!!! - too much dialogue, had a good shot at Myst & decided Road Rage wasn't for me. I had also bought Excalibur - got so far with that & left that alone. I eventually tried BS 1 again & persevered - that has got to be the game that launched me into AG's - after that I think it was Clocktower & then possibly Dracula Resurrection. I haven't looked back since. I did eventually a few years later go on to finish Myst & also Excalibur!
Posted By: lexxy

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/28/07 11:58 PM

The first adventure game I played was Myst and I have been hooked since then.
Posted By: MDAMLADY

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 01:58 AM

My daughter's husband got me hooked on the original Shivers and then Myst..........Been on the BAAG band wagon ever since.

If they could only be as well made as Myst (especially Riven) and the rest of the series.
Posted By: msblue

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 12:44 PM

Tex Murphy............loved him loved him and have been hooked ever since
Posted By: sami5901

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 02:07 PM

My first game was Treasure Quest. I was so fasinated with it I played it for a year. Then I kept buying games and never looked back. What fun!!! Diane
Posted By: Mad

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 02:10 PM

Hi smile

Monkey Island 1 - swiftly followed by Monkey Island 2 ....
Lent to me by one of my Daughters in 1994. One of the best best things she ever did for me lol

I became addicted immediately and that started my "what have I already missed quest scared" - which then led on to the "what game is coming out next quest evil" - and finally the development of a full blown case of BAAGS blush

And of course joining Gameboomers didn't help .... Boy, do they have a lot to answer for !! rotfl

[Love 'em though ....]

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Cue

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 04:01 PM

My first game was a text adventure called Leather Goddesses of Phobos and then played many of the other games that Infocom produced.
Posted By: Sally(MG)

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/29/07 04:38 PM

Cue/ the one that came with a scratch and sniff card! That was awesome!

My first adventure game was Blade Runner by Westwood studios. 4 CDs, point and click. Gorgeous graphics. I wish there was a re-release for xp on dvd since my old copy of it doesn't work on the xp box.
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/30/07 04:34 PM

Like Barry and Susie07

My first games were
Adventure of the Colossal Caves
Wishbringer
and
my first graphic adventures
Below the Root
The Black Caldron

inferno
Posted By: Albert

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/31/07 01:41 AM

For me it was "The Mystery of Monkey Island", about 1990. I love wit and humor in my games.

Albert
Posted By: danyboy

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/31/07 02:41 AM

For me it was Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, since that time I never stopped playing games smile

CU

danyboy smile
Posted By: aretha

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 08/31/07 07:04 AM

On my Commodore 64 I played Heroes of Karn, Fate of Atlantis and Simon the Sorcerer. When PC's became the thing to have I didn't get one for years. When I finally bought a PC my first game was the 1st Broken Sword. In the same shop I bought 2 other games I'd never heard of: The Beast Within and The Pandora Directive.

Since that time I've had to work backwards to get the games I'd missed and also keep up with new adventure games. For a few years it was like having 2 addictions. Now I've caught up with old games I just have the one addiction.
Posted By: Tammy64

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 09/07/07 01:58 PM

The first adventure game I played was Return to Mysterious Island. It was given to me by my friends as a birthday present. Good game.
Posted By: ramona

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 09/07/07 02:02 PM

It was Myst for me. I had just bought my first computer.
Posted By: Butterfly

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 09/13/07 02:58 AM

I'm bringing back an old topic, but was just scrolling through and saw it. My son was playing Myst and I asked if I could try what he was working on (never having played a pc game). Loved the scenery and the ease of playing it - wasn't sure what I was doing, but when it came time to leave he said, "Hey, I couldn't get that to work, what did you do?" I have no idea! But the first one I tried on my own was Titanic. Then I was hooked.

Butterfly
Posted By: hawkavonpuka

Re: What was the 1st adventure game you played? - 09/13/07 05:47 AM

If you are talking CDRom games, then my first was Dracula Resurrection. But, I had a computer in the 1980's, bought for the kids to do school reports on, basically a word processor. It had no internet and no hard drive, it did have two 5 1/4" floppy drives, so you had to load a boot everytime, then use MSDOS or GWBasic, depending on what you wanted to do. I bought Shareware and my favorite games were the Kroz ones, like Kingdom of Kroz. They were sort of Pacman like games, where all these critters came at you, you had to dodge them and whip them to finish the level, earning gems, whips, etc. I played this forever, keyboard only, no mouse on this computer either and finally made it to the top level, #75. I played games on this computer forever, even the grands were playing Railrun when they were maybe four and that was only seven years ago. This computer was with us, then to my older grands, then back home again until it finally died. This was an Epson and I bought it with printer for $1300, hard to believe my last gaming computer was less than that, eek I would really like to play Kroz again.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community