GB HOMEPAGE

uru is TOAST!

Posted By: Bonnie

uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 10:36 PM

I truly have HAD IT! the interface is terrible- I have decided when I start cursing the game because something sucks- I go onto something else- I certainly hope Myst 5 has a better interface- or I won't be buying that either- mad
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 11:02 PM

Not your cup of tea, eh?

What specifically bothers you?

WW

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 11:21 PM

I have to keep switching from keyboard to mouse- which wouldn't be bad- if the keyboard control made sense- I go forward- but keyboard sends my avatar backward- the keys are never the same in direction- up is down and down is up- but not all the time- only sometimes-
Posted By: gymcandy1

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 11:54 PM

Mine always goes forward when I push the forward arrow and right and left and so on. I wonder why yours wouldn't Bonnie. You can control that in the game settings.

When you are in the game click on the ? in the lower right corner. You can designate which keys control which motion. Maybe they got set backwards.

I would try to change them if I were you. This is one of my all time favorites and I have a laptop so I never use a mouse.

wave joe
Posted By: Jenny

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 11:56 PM

That is truly weird, Bonnie!!! I don't usually care for keyboard games, but I learned to use the arrow keys (you are using the arrow keys, aren't you?) pretty easily, and most of the time I kept my cap lock on so I could run.

You might post about this problem down in Glitches--maybe somebody there knows what's happening to you.

Never mind, it looks as though Joe has the key for you. Thanks, Joe... wave
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/27/05 11:59 PM

Are there different camera view options in this game? think

Rusty smile

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:04 AM

Push f1 to switch from 1st to 3rd person view.
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:09 AM

Thanks joe! wave I was only asking because I thought that maybe Bonnie had the wrong camera view selected and that was making the controls more difficult. I don't even own this game. eek

Rusty smile
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:13 AM

I agree with all the above. I thought Uru was so much better than Myst 4 that I'd hate for you to give up playing. I preferred to play mostly in the 3rd person though, to enjoy every minute of the game.

Good luck, hope your steps soon all go in the right direction! happydance

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:16 AM

Bonnie if you click on ? and click on "Display Control" then click on "Advanced" and then click on "Default" they should then be in the correct response to your arrows.

You can also click on "Display Control" then "Key Map" and designate any keys you want to go right, left, forward, and so on.

luck joe

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:38 AM

will switching from 3rd to 1st stop the camera swings- they're making me dizzy- woozy

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 12:48 AM

Probably not Bonnie.....You can adjust your mouse sensitivity in the game control box also.

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 02:12 PM

I figured out a way to manage for certain puzzles I go to 1st person- and the rest of the time I'm in 3rd person- still not the best- but better than it was- thank you everybody! praise
Posted By: Geo

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 03:55 PM

Hello,
You are correct Bonnie,aprox 90% in 3'rd person and about 10% in first person is the way to do it.What ever you do dont give up.This is an all time great game.
Geo
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 05:03 PM

Glad you're having a better time of it, Bonnie. I agree, this is one of my faves. I thought I was going to hate it, too! IF you can get things worked out, you should hace a good time.

WW
Posted By: dadguy

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 05:47 PM

Hey Bonnie,

I think I know what the problem is with the switching camera angles. Try this:

Move your mouse cursor to the bottom right and click the ? that appears (Game Settings). I can't remember if it is on the first page you see, or if you have to select ADVANCED, but look for a box that is checked that says "Go where I click". Make sure this is UN-CHECKED.

This is an annoyance because when you use the mouse for navigation it always makes an initial unexpected turn before moving. Try it and see if it helps.

I personally like to use the mouse, and I mapped the right mouse button to the RUN command so that I can WALK with the left button, and RUN with both buttons held down (this may be the default...I am not sure).

Dadguy

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/28/05 06:54 PM

Thank you Dadguy- I will try that- I haven't been back to the mystical shores of Relto- but when I do I'll try it- laugh praise
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/29/05 03:31 PM

Comment here - I totally LOVE this game and the 2 expansion packs and me who started out a couple of years ago HATING keyboard controlled games, would not even buy them or try them...look at me now, running, jumping, climbing, swimming(? this is the only way that I can, terrified of deep water [over my head]) Had such fun with these games, frustrated a lot, sure, arent' Adventure Games supposed to frustrate one to the brink of insanity? rotfl Isn't that the way we learn self control, calming techniques, compromise and patience? I find myself taking different view of such and finding patience I did not know I had once I get 'hooked' on the game no matter how frustrating - I don't give up as easily as I used to or scream for help as often as I did before....hope you enjoy the experiences of these 3 as much as I did
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/29/05 03:55 PM

It's funny Bonnie, there are a lot of people who have a love/hate relationship with the game. When I first started playing it I absolutely hated the interface because I was so used to point and click. I stopped playing the game for about a month, but the wonderful graphics brought me back into it. After awhile I got used to the interface and really enjoyed the game. So much so that when they came out with "The Complete Chronicles" I bought it right away. Granted there is a certain degree of frustration associated with the running, jumping stuff, but once it clicks, it really clicks. Hope it works out for you. laugh

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/29/05 10:38 PM

I hated it when I had a poor system to play it on. I had trouble controling my avatar, like Bonnie, and those jumps were a "bear"!

I hope you got it all worked out Bonnie!

wave joe

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/30/05 11:35 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know- I'm muddling along in this game- the story saddens me so far- I can't wait to see what happens though-
Posted By: Jenny

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/31/05 01:34 AM

Joe, I've gone through Uru more than once--at first I hated those jumps!!! I'm strictly an adventure gamer, and something that makes my palms drip sweat doesn't usually grab me. But after I got used to it, I found the jumps loads of fun, although I'll admit that it would have been even more fun if I hadn't wound up back in my Relto every time I missed... cry

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/31/05 02:07 AM

I love to run and jump now Jenny! I still miss every now and then. lol

wave joe
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: uru is TOAST! - 08/31/05 04:09 AM

After i got on to the controls it was fun.
Posted By: wheelchairwarrior

Re: uru is TOAST! - 09/02/05 01:18 PM

the other thing you can check, is to make sure there isn't a mark in the box next to panning camera. That is in the advanced settings as well. Enjoy, it is a wonderful game. Wheelie
© 2024 GameBoomers Community