GB HOMEPAGE

Adventure Boomers?

Posted By: Robert

Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:18 AM

I guess maybe I'm a rare breed. I'm 44 years old ( going on 12 ), because I love adventure games , but I also love games like Halo , Splinter cell , Grand Theft Auto and Silent Hill. Most of the people who read this have probably never heard of those games unless they happened to see a TV advertisement. I can remember the first time I ever played an adventure game. I was shopping through my local Sam's Club when I saw the game Myst on sale. The title and the picture on the box drew my attention, so I picked it up and examined it more closely and bought it out of curiosity. Well, after playing it I was hooked. It wasn't long after that I found myself in a computer game store looking for more adventures. That was about 8 years ago and I was 37 at the time. But getting back to my original point. Though I love adventure game , I also love a lot of other genres too. Am I a rare breed ? Are there others of you who love a good fight occasionally ? Are all adventure gamers over the age of 35 ? smile
Posted By: SkeeterUK

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:25 AM

Im into point and click adventure games, mainly 3rd person ones. Im also into space games like homeworld and freespace 2. I also enjoy racing games and beat-em-ups when i get the chance. And good old sci fi games like startrek (got most) and starwars games. Im 23 so not near your age yet.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:32 AM

Hey Skeeter. Wow, 23 and a Trekkie at that . I had no idea people your age love adventure games. Maybe there's hope for us yet. smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:34 AM

I grew up in the 80's nuff said razz

In the 90's, star trek. Most of them were on BBC2 at 6pm through the week over here in the UK, so watched all of them by now.
Posted By: Zanthia

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 02:51 AM

robert, no i don't think you are a rare breed. i love adventure games too but i also love rpgs and enjoy action adventures such as silent hill, outcast, etc and enjoy FPS games ( but not very good at them due to severe arthritis- need cheats to help me out but do try to go without as long as possible) i only do single player even though the fps games have such a big multiplayer component.

oh and i am older than you.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 03:46 AM

Cool!! I thought there were more like me out there. Although I do think that we are a small group judging by the number of responces to this thread so far. smile I also just do the single player campaigns w/the FPS. The online play is just a bunch of running around and capturing flags. I want a good story as well as good gameplay.
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 04:09 AM

I tend to play board, word, and mindless arcade games from PopCap when I'm not adventuring, Robert. I am really lousy at shooters and racing games that require fast reflexes. I'm 57 going on 10. laugh

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 04:27 AM

lol I hear ya Lady K. I think you meet the criteria of the main-stream adventure gamer. You must have picked up a controller at some point to find out that you ARE lousy at the action games. If not , I urge you to give it a try . Perhaps you have a grandchild that could give you some tutorage. You might be surprised
Posted By: Melanie1

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 05:39 AM

Hi Robert,

I'm 55 and like the pure adventures. A little action is okay but nothing too repetiive. If it hurts, it's not fun. smile Shooters & war games hold no interest for me. I work all day and don't want to do gymnastics at the pc by the time I finally get some time for me. smile

I may try god mode on some RPG's soon, but that's the only way I could play them without hurting. So far, I'm very content with adventure games and in between, I play pc jigsaw puzzles, mahjong, spider solitare and other puzzle games.

Melanie
Posted By: nickie

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:21 AM

You do come up with some intriguing questions, Robert! I'll be 49 this year, and I do enjoy many adventure games. To be honest though, nothing grabs me like a good RPG. Perhaps that stems from some of my earliest game playing being the Quest for Glory series, when I had no clue there were different genres. laugh But to me, there are a few RPGs that are adventure games, only longer and more immersive (and ok, with lots of fighting) - a few recent ones to come to mind are Sacred Plus, Heretic, and the golden grail of them all, Divine Divinity. There are lots of folks who claim themselves to be adventure only who slyly have tried DD, and found themselves firmly hooked with RPGs. A huge congratulations to everyone who tries another genre without dismissing it out of hand! thumbsup If you cast your eyes upon our RPG/other forum, you will see that there are new people every day trying them out.
I also like a few strategy games like Ghost Master, Tropico Pirate, and the like, but don't play the genre much because it seems they last a lot longer than my attention span.
Posted By: deez

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:44 AM

Hi Robert wave

I love allsorts of genres. My favourites are 3rd person point and click,but I also really enjoy all adventures,Action/Adventures, and puzzley games, and some shooters!

I absolutely love Medal of Honour (AA) and DoD online. At one time (not so much now) I used to on both of those every night! (And I have to admit I was quite good at it) smile

Basically I am a total game addict. As well as my PC I have every console around big and small and I love them all rotfl
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 12:42 PM

Hi Robert, I am 55 and I am going on 12 like you. lol
My favorite genre is the FPS. I also like in order:
Action/Adventure, Sim/Strategy(The Sims, RCT, etc), RTS, Adventure, Arcade/Platform, and last RPG. I do not like flying or driving games, Strategy war games or text adventures.
Posted By: dale3mike

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:13 PM

Robert, I am 45 and my favorites are the first person, all alone, exploration games like Myst and Alida.

Mike
Posted By: Tyke

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:30 PM

Hi Robert wave

I am 52 and always considered myself a purely adventure game type...I didn't mind a little action as in Blade Runner...But my daughter plays Dark age of Camelot on-line and I have watched her, and became intrigued by it.

So now I must confess...I am one of those 'sly' people that Nickie was talking about...I obtained a copy of Divine Divinity, to see what everyone was raving about...I loaded it up...and WOW!!!
I just can't leave it alone...4.30am every morning, I have to force myself to stop playing and go to bed...I guess this is my initiation to the 'Dark Side' rotfl

Sue laugh
Posted By: syd

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:34 PM

I "was" an adventure only gamer until about two and a half years ago when I decided those folks on the RPG forum were having waaaaay too much fun with those games they were playing. I asked which one would be a good starter for an RPG novice - The Quest for Glory Series was mentioned (which I had had for years and years but never tried). I played them all and have been hooked on RPGs ever since. I'm right now playing Gothic II and while my reflexes are still a bit shall we say "rusty" my cursing has improved by two hundred percent rotfl I haven't tried too many FPS - not sure if Outcast counts or not but I played that and loved it (god mode since not only are my relfexes rusty but I am also a whimp) laugh

Oh and I'm 51 and female.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 01:52 PM

I grew up playing card games and dominoes--dh and I played board games and card games---watched the kids play Sega but never had time--and finally when the kids were all gone had watched my PS2 son play enough to think it might be fun--so bought a console---talked enough with my sister who is an adventure gamer and started playing an adventure game with her---then got an Xbox to play some of the Xbox games with my other son--and decided to try DD with the Dark Side folks--I even like platformers--but I am not very good at them--
Posted By: colpet

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 04:26 PM

I started Adventuring late, too. I found Riven and got hooked in 2000 when I was 41. I found out that I really don't like action/timed/stealth puzzles or keyboard controls in my adventures, so I've never been tempted by other types of computer games. I do like to play puzzle games like Pandora's Box, Magnetic, Elemental, etc. and I subscribe to Peter's Jigsaws as well.
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 04:45 PM

I'm 42. I started out playing Actiony games in the local arcade (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc) 20 years ago or so, the progressed to actiony-shooter-adventure-exploring dangerous places games like Duke Nukem, Cosmo, HOcus Pocus--don't really know what you would call those games. But anyway, my true love is the first person adventure a la MYST. Following that, puzzle heavy (rather than conversation heavy) third person. I don't like things jumping out and killing me repeatedly anymore. I also play lots of puzzle games.

WW

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 05:27 PM

Me and my bro spent a small fortune while on holiday playing TMHT arcade. We didnt move till we completed it smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 05:41 PM

I don't really know what defines an RPG. Is it the turn-based combat ? I've played , or tried I should say , a couple of critically acclaimed RPGs like Star Wars-Knights of The Old Republic and Final Fantasy. I don't really care for the turn-based combat. I would rather do my own fighting. I played a game called Beyond Good and Evil recently , which plays like an RPG in every respect , except the combat ( i.e. fighting ) was real-time , but that game is considered to be an Action-adventure.

I agree about the keyboard controls being awkward. If I had to rely on mouse and keyboard controls for the 3D action-adventure games I wouldn't like it much. I have a PS2 and Xbox for those type of games , and since there's really no replay value in them for me , I rent them instead of purchasing. I can usually beat one in a few days , return it , and move on to the next one. I just played Uru recently using mouse and keyboard , and navigating was a bit awkward , but there was no combat so it was ok. They make an adapter to connect an Xbox controller to the PC USB port. I think most of the 3D style games support a gamepad or joystick control.

To date I've finished over 100 PS2 and Xbox titles , and a couple of dozen PC Adventure games , mostly games similar to Myst , the 2D slideshow presentation type. I'm leaning more toward the PC Adventures these days as I have alot of catching up to. I was glad to see " The List" posted in this forum so I make a nice long wish list of games I want to play. smile
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert:
I don't really know what defines an RPG. Is it the turn-based combat ?
No. There are plenty of real time RPG's. Usually what distinguishes an RPG is the stats management - getting experience points from winning battles and completing quests and assigning these points to various abilities to improve your character(s) fighting ability. Also, you often have a group of characters in an RPG instead of just one.

Quote:
I've played , or tried I should say , a couple of critically acclaimed RPGs like Star Wars-Knights of The Old Republic and Final Fantasy.
Try Divine Divinity.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 06:28 PM

Excellent suggestion for DD. Another plus is that it is mouse, more or less point and click controlled, with a few keyboard commands should you want to use them, like hitting the space bar for pause. A really easy learning curve too. Another that just came out that doesn't have the humor of DD, but is a much shorter RPG and easy to learn is Heretic. One that a bunch of us are playing right now is Sacred Plus (and the expansion Sacred Underworld), and it is a bit harder than the other two, but chockfull of humor that is keeping us laughing hysterically. You don't die really, you just get resurrected, LOL. I think playing with a party is much more difficult, and I would sure recommend starting with a single character RPG like the ones I just mentioned. If you enjoyed Beyond Good and Evil, which went from easy to hard by halfway through the game, you won't have any problem whatsoever with those, I don't think.

EDIT : Oh no, I am repeating myself! I've become my mother!

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:05 PM

I have Sacred, i downloaded the free bonus pack thing as well but it had crc errors so have to redownload it.

Can you download the expansion pack for free or is it a pay thing as I was going to say i'd play a team game with you nickie if i could get expansion pack for free as i dont think you will be willing to play without it.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:21 PM

To Jenny100 , Thanks for clarifying the RPG thing for me. Also , I read your review of Dark Fall - Lights Out. I had read a review of this game at Gamespot and based on that review , I wasn't going to play it. That was before I found GameBoomers. After reading your review and Beckys' review of the DF1 , I changed my mind and sure enough , you guys were more on par than Gamespot. I thought Dark Fall was great and I'm about to start on Lights Out. thumbsup

To Nickie, Do these games you mention have real-time combat ?
Posted By: teresa

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:46 PM

I'm 70 and a few years ago I discovered adventure games. My first one was The crystal Key, then myst, I was hooked. I havent stopped playing since. I love the concept of solving puzzles and using these old reflexes to try to beat some of the "arcade" sequences. It has made me smarter(I like to think) and given me an outlet and something to talk to my grandchildren about. They think I am "cool" . Thanks to some very helpful boomers I have now learned to use the keyboard to play and I love it. I will not stop. Now I go to EB and get all the games I can afford, you would be surprised all the seniors are there doing the same thing. Just wish in Canada there were more games to buy, however now EB is going gamespot this might change. The manager of my EB now saves me the games he thinks I might be interested in. Thats service. Cheers

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 07:50 PM

P.S I should say thanks for all the help I receive from Jennie and McG and all the other boomers who pitch in, also for the very good - no excellent - walkthroughs that help when I get well and truly stuck.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/28/05 08:13 PM

Hi Teresa , wave That's an interesting point you make about the games "making you smarter" and providing another vehicle to communicate with your grandchildren. I think of adventure games and other genres of games to be good "brain exercise". They definitely improve ones concentration and observation skills. It also seems as though the "generation gap" between kids and their parents/grandparents has become wider in recent years. Taking an interest in what the kids enjoy is an excellent way to narrow that gap. I believe anyone who enjoys a good movie or a good work of fiction would be intrigued by adventure games , if only they would try one. smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 12:04 AM

Robert, it is true that this is a good way to communicate. I knew nothing about computors when I started, but with the kids on board I learned, then if I got stuck I got out the good book, read it, and did what it said. RFM became a watchword, and I still do it. I didnt think I could until I tried. A few months ago I tried Alida which is very hard to load, with the help of the manual and boomers I learned to save and paste and now Ive learned something else so its all a question of believing you can do it. thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: bigmamma1

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 02:54 AM

wave I started with Myst at age 61, a year after getting my first computer(2002)
Got totally hooked and have been merrily BAAGing and playing ever since.Started with only point & click adventures, then played my first action adventure-Indiana Jones Infernal Machine, then the Thief games, Outcast,Anachronox and Noone Lives forever.
Playing games keeps me thinking young,never bored,and mind alert. It's the best thing since sliced bread!
I like to switch back and forth between adventure and action. I like the heart thumping, exciting pace of action games as well as the slower paced more relaxing puzzle based ones as long as they are beautiful and interesting to look at.
64 going on 10 rotfl

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 03:17 AM

Hi bigmamma , I loved No One Lives Forever. It combined the first person shooter with some adventure elements. Cate Archer was a hoot !! I loved her sarcastic humor in the game. I played that one on my PS2 a couple of years ago . I saw a post in the RPG/Action forum about NOLF 2 . So I went to gamespot.com to check it out , but it's only availible on the PC (was rated 9.3= superb ). Do you use mouse and keyboard controls for you shooters/action games ? I would need a PC compatible controller , I think the mouse/keyboard interface would be too awkward.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 03:49 AM

robert,

for a fps game like NOLF the mouse/keyboard combo is the way to go. a gamepad is awkward. that is why so many do not like playing these type of games on the consoles as you a gamepad just doesn't give the same type of control as the mouse/keyboard does. once you try it this way and get used to it you will never want to play an fps wih a gamepad again uness you just have to play halo 2 when it comes out and not wait for the pc port.
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 04:18 AM

Robert, I am 58, female and I like Adventure games as well as Action,FPS and RPG'S. I am attempting to play Sentinel, I keep getting stuck, Psychotoxic and Cold Fear now. Some of my favorite non adventure games are: Max Payne,RTCW,Call Of Duty, Medal of Honor, HL2, Painkiller,Doom 3, Morrowind,Icewind Dale and Gothic. The love of all these games knows no age or gender. wave

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 05:57 AM

Kazzmo wrote : "The love of all these games knows no age or gender."

Hi Kazzmo. I'm starting to see that . Like 23 y.o. Skeeter who plays adventure games and 63 y.o. Bigmamma who's played No One Lives Forever (the combat in that game is pretty intense ). happydance
Posted By: Darlene

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 06:57 AM

smile I just turned 50 last week, female, and though I love adventure games, some of my faves have been 'Realms of the Haunting', 'NOLF' 1 & 2, 'Half-Life', and 'Deux Ex'. happydance
Posted By: Ditlihi

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 07:13 AM

I will be 64 in a couple of months and tho I prefer adventure games I have played a number of RPG's and FPS games I do not care for shooter action games as they became repetative and boring after awhile.One of my most favorite games which I replay often is Return to Krondor a RPG.
Posted By: maggie57

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 07:16 AM

Hi Robert-

I am 58 (my true age) and I got hooked on them about 4 years ago when my older (she is 71) sister sent me one. I have been buying ever since. I do prefer point and click. But I expect to be playing them for many years, just wish they would make more.

Maggie bravo bravo

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 08:25 AM

robert,

good, i am glad you are going to give NOLF2 a try using the mouse/keyboard.

by the way, IMHO, the first game was much better but you can decide for yourself.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter22UK:
I have Sacred, i downloaded the free bonus pack thing as well but it had crc errors so have to redownload it.

Can you download the expansion pack for free or is it a pay thing as I was going to say i'd play a team game with you nickie if i could get expansion pack for free as i dont think you will be willing to play without it.
Hi Skeeter! wave Yes, you have to purchase Sacred Underworld, although Sacred Plus is free if you have the original Sacred. But if you get Sacred Plus up and running, a bunch of us are still playing it. Come on down, the more the merrier!

Robert, to answer your question, yes, those games all use real time combat, except DD does have a pause feature if you want (where you can drink potions, decide what to do next, etc.)

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 06:12 PM

wave Hi Robert:
I loved NOLF! I have NOLF2 and am savoring the chance to play it.
The humor is great, especially if you're a fan of those old sixties James Bond spy movies.I think Kate Archer beats Lara Croft hands down.She's feisty and funny-much more sense of humor than Lara.
I have never played games on anything except PC. I find the mouse and keyboard combo less awkward to control than the keyboard only (a la Tomb Raider games)

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 07:30 PM

@ nickie

Was on sacred plus last night. What is your character name? Mine is Skeeter/Mobious. Which servers do you go to? Open or closed? And which server in them?

Im at level 5/6 i think so far at the end of the day yesterday, hope ur a low level smile as i dont like playing with high level players as they leave me lol. But i hope to play with you on the campaigne if possible, perhaps we start together some new characters?

Let me know if u wana do any of this. smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 07:58 PM

Skeeter, we're not playing on-line, we're just playing our individual games all at the same time over in the RPG forum, and then talking about it! You might be able to talk Popcorneater into going online, but my dial up is waaaay too slow, sorry. frown

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 08:02 PM

Oh, i got the impression you were playing online. frown
Posted By: Philipp

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/29/05 11:29 PM

I'm 69, going on 70. Have been playing, reviewing, writing walkthrus and hints for almost 20 years. Love Adventure games and will continue to play them until the day I die. Hopefully that's still a long way off. Trying to introduce some of my 13 grandchildren in the genre. Trying.
Fred J. Philipp, ala Questbusters fame.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 01:19 AM

lol I've been on so many adventures with her . I've played all 6 Tomb Raiders (was kinda disappointed with all the bugs in the PS2 version of "Revelation" ) and looking forward to the new one that may be out this fall.

edit P.S. to Nickie, I checked out Divine Divinity , it looking pretty interesting , I'll give it a try. If it's as good as Beyond Good and Evil I definitely want to play it !
Posted By: Glynn

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 02:14 AM

Hi Robert...I am 70 going on 69 smile I love adventure games, but also some of the RPG's, FPS's "Splinter Cell" is one of my favorite's, along with "Prince of Persia 3d" Hey...I guess I will try just about anything! You will get used to the "keyboard/mouse" and it works just great! especially if you can remap the keys to make them easier to reach! I also played NOLF 1, have #2 when I get around to it..playing Indiana Jones, Infernal Machine right now, but getting a lot of help from a buddy! smile Glynn

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 02:33 AM

I find action games much better with my gamepad i bought, its a thrustmaster firestorm wireless one. Specially as there designed for action games and are usually totally remapable controls for them. Fps games arnt too good tho as i hate aiming guns with the directional pad. best for them are the wasd keys and mouse and thats it really.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 02:43 AM

Hi Glynn wave

I love all the Tom Clancy games , Splinter Cell is one of my favorites too , I just finished "Chaos Theory" a couple of weeks ago. Have you tried the "Ghost Recon" series ? , they're pretty good too . If I can get games like that on PS2 or Xbox , that's my preference , since I can rent them from Gamefly.com . I would go broke buying all the types of games I love to play lol . Right now I'm playing Psychonauts on my Xbox and Dark Fall: Lights Out on the P.C. and have Black Mirror , The Longest Journey , Zork : Grand Inquisitor , Beyond Atlantis and Runaway all waiting to be loaded after I finish Dark Fall 2. I went crazy at Amazon and Ebay , but BaaGed some really good deals . happydance

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 02:52 AM

Skeeter, I saw an adapter and drivers to connect an Xbox controller to the pc at Consolestop.com . I think it's "remappable" ( if that's a word ) lol . I wonder how good that would be. And if you can use the thumbsticks for moving , looking and aiming instead of the directional button.
Posted By: Glynn

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 03:05 AM

Robert, I haven't played the "Ghost Recon" just not enough time for all the games I have frown You sure picked some good games! I have played all of the adventure games you just bought...let us know what you think of "Zork Grand Inquisitor" It was a RIOT! LOL Glynn
Posted By: Legolas813

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 03:39 AM

I'm 20 years old, and like just about all genre of games.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 03:53 AM

thumbsup as I'm sure the others do too ) and at Mr. Bills Adventureland and compiled a list of games that I wanted to try. There are many more on my wish-list , I'll definitely report back as I finish them.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 05:04 AM

Quote:
Right now I'm playing Psychonauts on my Xbox and Dark Fall: Lights Out on the P.C. and have Black Mirror , The Longest Journey , Zork : Grand Inquisitor , Beyond Atlantis and Runaway all waiting to be loaded after I finish Dark Fall 2. I went crazy at Amazon and Ebay , but BaaGed some really good deals . happydance
Yep, a confirmed BAAGER you are! Isn't it wonderful! happydance

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 05:55 AM

Indeed Nickie wave

And I'm tickled soooo pink rotfl

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 09:28 AM

Robert here is a small review and pic of my gamepad its a bit like xbox's but i think with more buttons.

here

Also if those that liked psx controllers then play.com have some adapters for about 9.99 i think.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/30/05 08:12 PM

wave To Glynn, Plilipp,Ditlihi, Teresa, and anyone else out there(besides me) who's 60 and over: Wow, I didn't realise there are so many of you and even more over 50 playing computer games!

I don't know anyone personally who plays. The people my age all think computer games are "all violence" , "a waste of time", "crazy", or "why do they play them anyway" or any other negative remark they can come up with. Needless to say, when I'm around that talk, I keep my mouth shut and think how boring life would be without this great entertainment.

I also am a reader and a traveller, maybe that has something to do with it-many do not do these things either.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/31/05 01:54 AM

Hey Bigmamma wave Do as I do and make the case that computer games sharpen your obversation and concentration skills and they can also help create a closer relationship with ones children/grandchildren . By the way , I just BAAGed NOLF2(no one lives forever 2 ) , can't wait to play it. happydance bravo lol
Posted By: Adorable

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/31/05 06:27 PM

How about a great grandma who's an adventure game junkie? I don't like the action games either because my reflexes ain't what they used to be. I have about six games going right now and have ordered several more, plus I have completed probably two dozen games. Guess I should do something more constructive with my "remaining" years but these games keep my mind active.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/31/05 07:25 PM

Hi Adorable, It sounds like your definiately an adventure game junkie . You've had kids , they've had kids , and their kids have had kids , so you already have been very constuctive . Now it's time for YOU to have a little fun and if adventure gaming is what you like , go for it !! bravo smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 05/31/05 07:36 PM

Nice to know I am not strange and there are friends out there. Go boomers go
Posted By: bithika

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 09:17 AM

Hi Robert this is a good question and its very interesting hearing which games people like to play.
I am female and just turned 30. I used to play computer games as a kid but stopped for years. It was was Myst that got me back into playing games and now I play adventure games the most. But I also love Silent Hill and Tomb Raider and I was addicted to the Zelda games both on the Nintendo 64 and when it was on the gameboy. Apart from playing Half-Life with a load of people online, I am not that keen on shooters or racing games (have never been much good with a gun). But I love the Sims! smile
Posted By: connie

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 01:22 PM

I'm 64 and love Adventure games.I also like Stragey games and Simulations.No action games as my reflexes are too slow. wave
Posted By: Jen in Chgo

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 01:33 PM

I'm 35 & was strictly adventure until this past year. I, too, was one of the Boomers enchanted by Divine Divinity & now I can't get enough of RPG's. I generally play one RPG & one adventure at the same time, so if combat gets too hairy I can relax & twitch my brain instead of my fingers. RPG's last sooooo much longer so I usually go through 3 adventures in the course of one RPG.

I don't usually like shooters or action/adventures unless there's a god mode. But I have been enjoying Beyond Good & Evil, which is a very odd, but fun, game. Loved Outcast. Can't seem to get the hang of surviving in NOLF, but I've got death down pat! wink I don't play anything that requires jumping. I'm a total klutz & spaz out every time.

laugh Love, Jen laugh
Posted By: Sandy Sleuth

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 02:03 PM

I'm 39 and LOVE adventure games. To be honest, i'm just learning what the other games are (Thanks, Ana!) but they do sound exciting!!!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 02:07 PM

Sandy...I'll get you hooked on Divine Divinity in no time wink

Ana wave
Posted By: Sandy Sleuth

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 03:00 PM

lol The more you teach, the more i learn!! bravo thumbsup
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 04:21 PM

Sandy, come on over and join us in the DD fest laugh
Posted By: Jenny

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 04:41 PM

I'll be 74 this month, and the only non-adventure game that I care for is Diablo/Hellfire. My son got me started on that even before I discovered adventure games, and I still enjoy popping in the CD and play one of the characters I've created. But I don't play on-line (got tired of those foul mouthed little twerps propositioning me lol ) and I didn't really care for Diablo 2, because of the saving system...
Posted By: Nipomo

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 10:06 PM

Hi Sandy
Yes come try DD, we'd love it and you'd be a riot--I can just imagine all the trouble you could get into--and AND there are BIG hairy spiders and some pinchy bugs too. Oh and bees and wasps. Yicks I didn't realize when I started to tease you, that there were ALL your scary bugs in the game. They are a tiny part of it though.

I'm 51 and when I joined Gameboomers (not long ago) I was a strict adventure game player and then came the fall...and now I keep a very open mind about all kinds of games. (Now my favorite game would be Real Myst with Loot! whistle )
Posted By: texaslady

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 10:20 PM

Hi Sandy.........DD is totally addictive and Ana should be ashamed of herself for getting someone else hooked on it.
I'll admit it, it's totally immersive and I'm loving it. I reek at it but it's fun. I'm warning you though, save your games and save often! Also, set a timer so that you will leave the game in a reasonable period of time to take care of other matters..........like child care, meal preparation. bill paying, just the little things that must be done. It looks like it could take a looooong time to play this one.
Oh, warning....don't let your child be in the room while you're playing if he's squeamish.
Ana strikes again!

Sue

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 10:37 PM

rotfl Sue...I believe in sharing the fun laugh
And the real thanx go to reading all fun between Nipomo, Looney4Labs and DoreenS in the darkside. I just had to try it!

Ana wave
Posted By: texaslady

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 10:43 PM

So you are passing the blame to Nipomo, Doreen and L4L?

Sue

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/01/05 10:46 PM

I'm sticking with my strengths... laugh

Ana wave

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 02:16 AM

Hi dithika and welcome to the forums welcome

dithika writes , quote: "I am female and just turned 30. I used to play computer games as a kid but stopped for years. It was Myst that got me back into playing games and now I play adventure games the most."

I'm glad to see younger people like yourself playing adventure games and you can always count on other members of Gameboomers to help if you get stuck or need tech-support with a game. wave

To jen in chgo : I've seen alot of posts about Divine Divinity and have decided I'm gonna have to get it thumbsup I played Baulders Gate a while back and had a lot of fun with it. DD looks like a similar type game , but with more depth .

I thought Beyond Good and Evil was a wonderful game . The last boss fight is pretty hard , but very rewarding when you beat him . happydance

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 02:26 AM

I didn't really get into BG&E. I found it too bizare and there was no real intro as to who you were and what your supose to do at the begining. Tho i kept playing for abit longer i just gave up. This is on the xbox i tryed it on as i recommended it to my bro as i thought it would be a sorta adventure game but in 3d and a bit of action but its mainly action/platform sorta game. Big let down from what i thought it would be like.

DD looks ok but theres nothing thats gona beat Kotor i think for a RPG.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 02:48 AM

Hey Skeeter wave

My problem with "Knights of the Old Republic" is the turn-based combat. I'd rather do my own fighting .

I had the same problem at the beginning of BGAE . They should have laid out the objectives more clearly. But after a while I got the hang of it . smile
Posted By: Buckeye

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 05:16 AM

I'm almost 38 and play all kinds of games.

Five of my all time favorites have been (not in any order):

1)Enchanted (text-only adventure)
2)Super C
3)Quake 2
4)Super Monkey Ball
5)Grim Fandango

The only genre I have not had much fun in yet is RPG's. But I will try it again soon.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 05:49 AM

Quote:

My problem with "Knights of the Old Republic" is the turn-based combat. I'd rather do my own fighting .

you do all your own fighting in KOTOR. it is NOT turn based. it is not as fast paced as action games or games like diabo or other action rpgs. but nor it is as slow paced like the combat in turn based games which include fallout and wizardry.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 05:57 AM

What I mean is real-time combat . In kotor you select an action you want your character to perform , and they carry out the the move you selected. It's not real-time . smile

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 08:39 AM

Its well hidden and acts like real time though. It just hides the stats great i thought and flows smoothly. Sometimes best to pause game if theres alot of enemies tho to deal with.
Posted By: Jen in Chgo

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 02:47 PM

Robert, DD & BG aren't of the same cloth. BG you control a party. DD you are a lone character. I also think the fighting might be disappointing to you in DD. Another person I recommended it to didn't much care for it. They said it wasn't "free" enough with character creation/advancement & fighting. In DD you just click on an enemy once & you automatically fight. You can pause the battle to drink health potions, etc.. but it's mainly one click & go. It's a great starter game but if you've already played many RPG's, you may think it's limiting. You'll have to remember that for many of us it was our very first RPG. It's much closer to an adventure than others in it's genre & the combat isn't complicated. I don't want to stop you from trying it, just warning you that you may not feel the same. wink I'll still love it regardless.

laugh Love, Jen laugh

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 03:39 PM

If thats Baulders Gate, i didn't get into it. Might have been cos of the age of the game when i got it or that i didn't like the time it took to start at the begining at baulders gate. I also didnt like that since it came on 5 cds or somit there was not much speech. I expected it to be all speech spoken when you talked to ppl but u had to read and thats a big turn off for that. I got BG2 and bit of the same. Although i would like to try it online with some people. Might be more fun.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 04:01 PM

Hi Jen evil . If I'm gonna play an RPG , then I want to fight on my own and not have the CPU do it for me. If there's no such animal as that out there in an RPG then I'll stick to action/adventure. smile The Baldurs gate I played.

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 05:18 PM

Erm BG on the console is vastly a different game to the PC versions. Tho i did enjoy playing with my brother on BG on xbox.

We stoped playing as we couldnt get past the big eye boss. Its solid to kill it. Any tips Rob if u got past it?

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 05:41 PM

Robert, you can do that with DD. You can click to use a spell, and then you can click to bash them with a sword, and you can direct et al to your heart's content. You want to target one monster and not another? Not a problem! But, if I am remembering correctly and interpreting what Jen says correctly, your character will also continue to fight without you doing more actions so as to not be defenseless. The beauty of the game is that it is what you want to make it - it can be a lot more complicated for those who wish it to be so, or gentle for those who don't. That said, if the user friendliness that it has is something that is not what you're looking for, another game that I would heartily recommend is Sacred Plus. It has all the humor of DD, but the game won't help you out with the fighting, there's no pause available, and the action is all very much quick time. Now on these games that we're talking about, your fighting actions are limited to casting a spell or bashing with a weapon. If you're looking for even more complicated maneuvers like Drakhan, where you actually choreograph your actions with a roll, a kick, a stab, etc, then I don't have a new game for you. laugh

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 06:20 PM

Hey Nickie wave Can you run away if things get too hairy eek Just kidding , OK , I'm sold again thumbsup

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter22UK:
I didn't really get into BG&E. I found it too bizare and there was no real intro as to who you were and what your supose to do at the begining. Tho i kept playing for abit longer i just gave up. This is on the xbox i tryed it on as i recommended it to my bro as i thought it would be a sorta adventure game but in 3d and a bit of action but its mainly action/platform sorta game. Big let down from what i thought it would be like.
It's always interesting to me to see people's reactions to BGE. For me, I loved the first half of the game, and it seemed an adventure with fighting. I hated the second half of it (after you lose the pig), which to me felt like a repetitive platformer. Plus I had a game ending glitch,so it didn't further endear the game to me. But I would play the first half again! laugh

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 06:38 PM

Nickie , I played the PS2 version and I'm wondering if the glitch you refer to is in the last boss fight when your controls get turned around backwards . That wreaked total havoc on me ! It took several attempts( like a dozen or so ) to overcome it. As far as it getting harder after the pig ( I forget his name too )I was so invested in it by then , there was no way I was gonna throw in the towel . lol

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 06:50 PM

Quote:
As far as it getting harder after the pig ( I forget his name too )I was so invested in it by then , there was no way I was gonna throw in the towel . lol
lol I don't blame you a bit! It's great that you got to finish it. And you caught me about not remembering the name of the pig, how did you know? rotfl No, my glitch was in the storeroom I think it was called. I couldn't move the character to a spot away from the laser, just zaaaaap! I'm pretty sure my problem with that particular thing was caused by my graphics chip being unable to contend with the T&L requirement. I knew it was needed, thought I'd try anyway, and I guess I should be happy that I was able to play as much of it as I did. laugh

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 06:59 PM

"you caught me about not remembering the name of the pig, how did you know? "

lol I guess I'm pretty good at reading between the lines Nickie wink

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 07:15 PM

lol Robert, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, much less the pig's name! And just why do they call these the golden years, hmm? rotfl

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 07:22 PM

Quote:
Hey Nickie thumbsup
My mages are always masters of the running away tactic! lol In DD, when I hit the pause it would be to survey where I could run to get out of a hopeless fight. You can actually hide in houses to talk to folks, and the monsters will usually be so polite and wait until you once again emerge, always cracked me up. Not so in Sacred Plus, they will pursue you, rude monsters. wink

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 07:36 PM

lol Nickie wrote "You can actually hide in houses to talk to folks, and the monsters will usually be so polite and wait until you once again emerge, always cracked me up. Not so in Sacred Plus, they will pursue you, rude monsters."

Sometimes I'm thankfull for the bad A.I. , especially when I'm getting my @#& kicked . lol

Re: Adventure Boomers? - 06/02/05 07:53 PM

Interestingly enough, how the A.I. acts in DD was intended, even when it might seem a flaw - and quite a bit of it was done for sheer humor or to assist a player that is playing an RPG for the first time ( a big reason I recommend the game). For instance, the usually slow witted orcs will leave a gold trail - as your character merrily skips along, scooping up the gold, bam - you have been lured into a camp of orcs, and the orcs chortle about the dumb human. Now is that genius, or what? laugh
© 2024 GameBoomers Community