GB HOMEPAGE

Games with no disk???

Posted By: ron.etti

Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 03:12 PM

In the summer i use my laptop alot and know if a game is total down load and the cd rom is not spinning i can get longer battery life.
Has anyone make a list of games that run with out the disk? I know of some but would welcome any help.
Thanks praise
Posted By: Robert

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 04:23 PM

Hi Ron , I just finished Dark Fall : Lights out and it runs without the disc once installed , I think the Dark Fall 1 : The Journal does too . I played these games on a desktop computer , but I'm sure if your laptop meets the specs , it would work. smile
Posted By: trudysgarden

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 04:28 PM

Hi Ron,

Alida and Atlantis Evolution both ran from my desktop with no disk, and they're both pretty good.

happy trails,

Carolyn
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 04:43 PM

Gothic 1 doesn't require a disk.
Posted By: Sandy Sleuth

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 05:30 PM

After The Moment Of Silence is installed you do not need the disc.
And the first CSI game after it is installed does not need the disc.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 05:33 PM

Dark Fall the Journal runs without a disk--
Posted By: tigger

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 05:42 PM

do you want games which do a full install??? then you only need the disc to start you off, it doesn't get accessed after that.... Alida has that option...
Posted By: Teresa D

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 06:25 PM

Schizm 2 - Chameleon definitely, I'm not sure about the first game as it's no longer installed. Return to Mysterious Island also doesn't need the disk.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/02/05 11:43 PM

The Longest Journey runs without the disc after a full install.
Cathy
Posted By: Re

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/03/05 12:02 AM

I also think Crystal Key 2 runs w/o a disk. Regi
Posted By: danyboy

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/03/05 12:24 AM

Hi guys,

Mysterious Island is playable without the cd after the installation.

CU

danyboy smile

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/03/05 01:48 AM

Thanks boomers,i knew of some of them,but some i did not. Any others are welcome
Posted By: Geo

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/03/05 10:05 AM

Hello,
Sentinel runs without the disk.But most games only access the disk at the beginning to verify you have the factory disk and not a copy.They really dont need the disk to run,just verify.
Geo
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/05/05 10:25 PM

Timeline also runs without the CD. So does Auryn Quest.

have a fun summer!
Posted By: Jen in Chgo

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/06/05 01:56 PM

Though the manual says it's needed, I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring without a disc in the drive. Don't know if it's me or that's the way it's supposed to be. lol Works for me!

laugh Love, Jen laugh
Posted By: Becky

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/06/05 04:02 PM

I don't think I've ever seen Barbie and Sherlock used in the same sentence before. It would be interesting to know what each would think of the other. Could Sherlock's cold heart be won by such as she?

Hmmm. This probably is the definition of "going off-topic." Please ignore.
Posted By: Melia

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/06/05 04:44 PM

Mysterious Journey 2 doesn't need the CD.
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/06/05 04:46 PM

I keep Darkfall 1 & 2 on my compies to play when I feel like it. I also have Riven setup that way, but that's not a default option lol

Susan wave
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 04:24 PM

Salar !! Please....tell me how i can install Riven w/o having to put in the cd each time...in nice simple terms! Love Riven--always keep loaded on desktop 'puter but would LOVE to put on my laptop so i can take my mini vacation to the lagoon and sunners and not have to hunt down the cd each time!!! you can email me---thanks--will much appreciate. praise
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 05:08 PM

For Riven, copy the contents of the Data folders on the different CD's to the Data folder in the Riven folder that's installed on your hard drive.

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathy1:
The Longest Journey runs without the disc after a full install.
Cathy
Hey Cathy,

I tried the full install but still needed the CD's. Did you do anything special? It was at the CD change that the game crashed on me in Win XP. By the way, I am playing with a 4 CD version, just in case there is a different version?

thanks,
linda

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny100:
For Riven, copy the contents of the Data folders on the different CD's to the Data folder in the Riven folder that's installed on your hard drive.
Thanks Jenny, I wrote this down for future reference.

Love a game that plays without the CD's. Comes in real handy since I must have about 20 loaded now. woozy

linda
Posted By: danyboy

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 07:26 PM

Hi guys,

Solitaire!!!

Sorry needed to laugh.

CU

danyboy smile
Posted By: unicorn

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 07:43 PM

Forever Worlds also donĀ“t need the disk after it is installed.

Sylvia wave
Posted By: plswdth

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/09/05 10:28 PM

You can get a great program called Alcohol 52%--what it does is makes "virtual drives" on your laptop so you can turn nearly any game into a "game with no disk". smile

http://www.alcohol-software.com/

You put in your original cd, and it copies the cd to your hard disk. Then you load that disk image you just made into a "Virtual cd drive" and the computer thinks it is looking at a real cd drive with a cd in it. I used this all the time on my laptop with no internal cd-drive (I used a USB one to load the games). I even use it on my desktop sometimes to cut down on noise and speed up loading. It's also handy with games with multiple discs that support multiple cd-rom drives as you can put all the cds in, say, 6 different virtual drives and never have to swap them! They also have one called Alcohol 120% adds the feature from 52% of letting you burn these images you make on cd-rs, in case you want to make backups of your games if you fear for them getting scratched up or broken or whatever.

There is also a free program that does similar, but doesn't have as many features and is a bit more complicated:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/10/05 02:40 AM

Madagascar doesn't need the disk to run. thumbsup

Rusty smile

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/10/05 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raylinstephens:

I tried the full install but still needed the CD's. Did you do anything special? It was at the CD change that the game crashed on me in Win XP. By the way, I am playing with a 4 CD version, just in case there is a different version?
The original UK version published by Empire had 4 CD's and did not really have a complete install. It had what it called a "full" install which did not include a lot of the movie files.
The original US version published by TriSynergy had 4 CD's and DID have a complete install.
There may have been other 4 CD versions. These are the two I know of.
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/10/05 06:39 PM

Gamenut, tried to email you back but the message was returned to me. happydance

This makes the program look for the information on your hard drive.

Susan wave

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/11/05 01:33 PM

This alcohol software sounds great plswdth,but it's 27 bucks .I would buy it ,but i am afraid the new games would not work ,or they would build something in to stop this.
Posted By: Jfi

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/11/05 04:29 PM

HI Ron,

Cye for no disk game

Jfi

Re: Games with no disk??? - 06/11/05 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ron.etti:
This alcohol software sounds great plswdth,but it's 27 bucks .I would buy it ,but i am afraid the new games would not work ,or they would build something in to stop this.
They already have. If you want to use Alcohol, you may have to uninstall it in order to play some newer games with restrictive copy control. Some games won't even install, let alone play, if the installer detects something like Alcohol or CloneCD or anything else that could be used to make disk images (even Nero's imaging software).
© 2024 GameBoomers Community