GB HOMEPAGE

Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why?

Posted By: Betty Lou

Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 03:23 AM

I don't know just how many of you have played this game - The Day Of The Tentacle - but I have found THE FUNNIEST character I have ever encountered in a game - Laverne! I cannot stop laughing and every time I think of her I start all over again - in the game when she did that 'conversion' thing with the flag and put it on I was rolling on the floor, tears rolling down my face and hubby was ready to call 911 for the 'men in the white coats' to come and take me away! Still laughing over her.
Who was/is the funniest character you feel you have encountered in a game and what game was it?
Love, Betty Lou smile laugh lol laugh lol
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 03:28 AM

I think I'd say Laverne too.
Laverne and her funky walk...
Posted By: SnowMoon

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:11 AM

The ones that come to mind are:

Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island - He cracks me up!

Rincewind from Discworld - Love that British humour!

Leisure Suit Larry - I just love all of the past LSL games! Funny!
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:35 AM

I thought that Lula in Runaway was a riot! lol Just the way he/she talked and that dance! lol
Rusty
Posted By: lasanidine

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:45 AM

Zork Grand Inquisitor made me laugh and reminded me of some of the politicians I have met.
Posted By: Tristy

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:56 AM

Never played Day of the Tentacle, but I thought Arthur from the Journeyman Project games was hilarious! lol
Posted By: gatorlaw

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:58 AM

Can't choose one - but some of my favorites are:

Max - what a little buddy
Murray the evil skull
The two bad guys outside the hotel in BS2
woodworms and the vacuum salesman in Simon 3D
All the HARM baddies through out NOLF
Lewton in Discworld Noir
Posted By: syd

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 05:07 AM

Glottis in Grim Fandango - varoooom, varooom laugh
Posted By: Bryansmom

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 05:13 AM

I think I would go with Murray the evil skull in Curse of Monkey Island. He was so morose and scrappy even though he was a head on a pole (or a shelf, or floating in the ocean...) lol
Posted By: RydAStar

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 06:33 AM

Oscar from Syberia really made me smile and chuckle. He reminded me of C3-POs complaining and fast comebacks. He doesn't mean to be funny, which makes it even better. laugh
Posted By: tigger

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 07:08 AM

I have to go with Laverne on this one... she just cracks me up!!!

Hugs

Tig wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 12:19 PM

Lewton in Discworld Noir -- sarcastically funny.
Guybrush Threepwood in the Monkey Island games -- endearingly funny.
Zork Grand Inquisitor -- the funniest wackiest world.
Posted By: Scout

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 12:43 PM

Laverne is hands down the funniest character I've ever seen in a computer game period. Her voice, her walk, the wise/naive cracks she makes at every turn. It's the whole package with Laverne. She's sweet too, not sarcastic or annoying. Jeez, I miss her already.

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 03:37 PM

I'm going to discover Laverne for the first time soon! I ordered a Day of the Tentacle/Sam and Max combo game (a re-release that I haven't found in the States that works with Win 95, at least according to the description) from Gameplay and it's on its way. I was moaning in another thread about the fact that my other game in that order is out of stock, but now I feel that I should be happy that Day of the Tentacle is on its way! Thank you for cheering me up with this thread!!! smile
Happy gaming,
Beth
Posted By: tigger

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:16 PM

Beth,

you are in for a real treat!! Do you watch Dexters Laboratory??? Then how about DeeDee in an adventure?? Thats Laverne!!! The other characters are brilliant too..

Hugs

tig wave

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:24 PM

I do watch Dexter's Laboratory with my son and I love it! Dee Dee is my favorite character! I loved the one where she wanted to be a pretty princess pony (or whatever they called it to avoid litigation)! I'm really looking for to playing DOTT now!
Happy gaming,
Beth
Posted By: Porthos

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:25 PM

I would have to agree with Arthur in the Journeyman games was great. I hope they come out with more, III was my favorite. Loved that game.
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 04:34 PM

Not just one, but a combination of three...Viconia, Edwin and Korgan in Baldur's Gate 2. Makes for some hilarious conversations. You who have played it knows what I'm talking about laugh
Posted By: fildil

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 06:53 PM

Gee Laverne sounds great. Does Day of the Tentacle run on W98? It sounds like a game I would like to play but I'm not too great at tweaking games to get them to run.
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 07:16 PM

The combination of Bud, Etno, Candy, Stereo, And Gorgious from Stupid Invaders are my favorite funny characters. The look, voices, everything was funny about them to me.
Posted By: Linds

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 07:24 PM

I thought Tony Tough was pretty funny. His voice and the way he walked.
Susan wave

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 07:28 PM

Fildil, I had trouble running Day of the Tentacle on my Win 98 computer (400 MHz). I think the game didn't like my SBLive sound card. I've heard a few people say they ran it in Win 98, but that seems to be the exception - at least with PCI sound cards.

I'm unsure if there is an updated version or not. I heard a rumor there was one that was released in the UK. But that was just a rumor.

If you have a computer with Win 2000 or XP, you might try running it with ScummVM. It has 95% compatibility under ScummVM.
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php
Posted By: Llewton

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 07:53 PM

Eric the Unready hands down - That guy got himself in the most hilarious situations in a game and the way he solved them were just as hilarious. Second was the talking fish in the beginning of zork Grand Inquisitor, the sarcasm was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

By the way Jenny ScummVM works with Windows 98SE also, ran Beneath A Steel Sky and Full Throttle with it.
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 08:37 PM

Eric the Unready was definitely the funniest single game I have played yet, but its an ensemble thing IMO. All the situations & beings you met were jokes in one way or another. Still some stood out for us, like Ed McDwarf & Bruce the waiter laugh Return to Zork is the same way. Lots of funny characters like Boos Miller, the Mayor, the Lighthouse Keeper etc but its hard for me to pick a standout.

ZGI was hilarious! I liked our faithful talking lantern guide, Dalboz & the 2-headed guard of Hades best.

I agree with the other nominations for the games I know, and especially Murray the talking skull. If they do a Monkey Island5 they gotta bring back Murray!

I am playing the first Discworld now. If you ignore the departures from the series, its very funny indeed. I expected Rincewind to be funny but the trolls were a delightful surprise.

Hey, did any of you play the Lost Vikings or Lost Vikings2? We thought they were a very amusing bunch. Its puzzle/action but not too demanding physically.

I havent played Day of the Tentacle yet. I will have to do that soon after reading all this. (Its on my "to play" stack somewhere)

IMHO
Funniest character: Murray the talking skull
Honorable mention: Dalboz the lantern, Simon the Sourcerer, Arthur from Journeyman series, Ed McDwarf et al from Eric, Elvis minister from Civ II, Oscar of Syberia, Roger Wilco, Carla & Lula of Runaway (I liked Carla even better than Lula), & a gaggle from Return to Zork & Discworld

Funniest game: Eric the Unready
Honorable Mention: Freddy Pharkas, Return to Zork

Funniest series: Monkey Island
Honorable Mention: Lost Vikings, Simon the Sorcerer

and I am probably forgetting lots of others.

Makes me grin just to think about them all.

Susan laugh
Posted By: DBK

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 08:45 PM

I think back with a chuckle about Malcolm from Kyrandia III, Malcolm's Revenge. He was such an old coot! lol (great dresser too!)

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/20/03 08:51 PM

Jenny, (regarding Day of the Tentacle) there was a reissue in 1999 I believe that updated the game to run on more recent OS's. It also included Sam and Max Hit the Road. It is extremely hard to find. The CD Rom Shop in the UK had it recently but was never able to restock it. I had just missed out.

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/21/03 12:54 AM

Jenny and johnboy298, there's an auction on ebay for this game, but the seller says that you must download a Scumm program to run it. I don't know how you put in the url for it, but if you want to look, just search for Day of the Tentacle PC game.
Posted By: conmol

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/21/03 01:41 AM

I loved Laverne too!Really a genious game is 'Day of the Tentacle'

I also laughed out loud at Guybrush in 'Curse of Monkey Island' and Llewton in 'Discworld Noir'
Posted By: Llewton

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/21/03 05:39 PM

Did someone mention my name???? LOL
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 12:21 AM

Dalboz in Zork Grand Inquisitor had such hilarious comments, but then everybody in that game was funny. I also liked the Barbot in Starship Titanic. He reminded me of another tippling, blarney-filled Irishman I know. smile

Lady K.
Posted By: Tristy

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 02:38 AM

Yes, Porthos, someone agrees with me! laugh Just kidding, I think I've noticed several other people here in the past mention that they too liked Arthur. JP 3 was my favorite too. I've replayed the game several times, and always set Arthur to "chatty," so I can hear as many of his cute comments as possible. I always felt a little silly though laughing out loud at a computer game when I was all by myself. lol

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnboy298:
Jenny, (regarding Day of the Tentacle) there was a reissue in 1999 I believe that updated the game to run on more recent OS's. It also included Sam and Max Hit the Road. It is extremely hard to find. The CD Rom Shop in the UK had it recently but was never able to restock it. I had just missed out.
Amazon UK has a few.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Q6XJ/shopgenie-vg-21/202-2288231-1971863

They don't ship to the US as far as I know but maybe a GBer in the UK can help you out, Johnboy.

Mike
Posted By: Ladybug

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 03:47 AM

My favorite had to be Llewton in Discworld Noir. His comments had me laughing out loud. laugh laugh

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fildil:
Jenny and johnboy298, there's an auction on ebay for this game, but the seller says that you must download a Scumm program to run it. I don't know how you put in the url for it, but if you want to look, just search for Day of the Tentacle PC game.
If you need Scumm to run it, then it's not the version I heard the rumor about. This was supposedly an updated version that could even be run on Windows XP. And it didn't need the ScummVM. But as I said, it was a rumor that I never saw confirmed anywhere. If it was true, why release it in the UK but not the USA?

The Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle games I played are the ones that came in the LucasArts Archives Vol. I collection. I had much less trouble with Sam and Max, which didn't crash even once. LucasArts still sells these two games in some rather unusual packaging here
http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/adventure/
These seem to be the same version as what I have, which is basically DOS, though some people have been able to run them in Windows.
...and with Scumm VM you should be able to run the games in Windows XP too.
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
Quote:
Originally posted by johnboy298:
[b] Jenny, (regarding Day of the Tentacle) there was a reissue in 1999 I believe that updated the game to run on more recent OS's. It also included Sam and Max Hit the Road. It is extremely hard to find. The CD Rom Shop in the UK had it recently but was never able to restock it. I had just missed out.
Amazon UK has a few.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Q6XJ/shopgenie-vg-21/202-2288231-1971863

They don't ship to the US as far as I know but maybe a GBer in the UK can help you out, Johnboy.

Mike [/b]
That may be what the rumor was about.
It does list Windows 95 and 98 and not DOS, though the rumor specifically mentioned XP as well.

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 05:43 PM

I bought the Collectors Edition from Lucas Arts. It comes in a neat silver cd tote with Lucas logo. However the games are the original DOS versions.

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 05:54 PM

Johnboy,

What all came in the silver tote, documentation-wise?

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 06:38 PM

It came with full size manual. The tote is made of light metal. Aluminum maybe? The cds are in the plastic sleeves of the tote. Its really cool! It is packaged in Plastic Ziploc bag.
Posted By: ray

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 07:55 PM

For me there is no contest. Since the title of the topic doesn't specify an adventure game, I have to go with Minsc from Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate II.

He has a pet, a "miniature giant space hamster" named Boo, and the way he relates to the Boomeister is consistently hilarious.

Plus there's a wonderful moment in BGII when your party watches a terrible play with an incompetent understudy. While your party goes up to offer their help to the theater manager, Minsc is stuck in his seat, transfixed: the play is the most incredible thing he's ever seen!! Hearing him go on about it was just priceless.

As far as adventures, I think the funniest character I've come across was that hilarious championship diver in Monkey Island 4.
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 08:05 PM

mmaaarrccoooo...... heehee. Yes, he was pretty funny. I stil like Murray best though.

How about the horrible reheaersal & acting scene(s) in Monkey Island3? That was excellent fun laugh

Re: Who is (IYHO) the funniest character in a game & why? - 11/22/03 10:29 PM

johnboy, one of my inane questions, I'm afraid. How hard is it to install and play the DOS version of the game? I'm really not able to play a game unless all you have to do is put in the disk and install.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community