GB HOMEPAGE

worst voice actors

Posted By: dragonseyes

worst voice actors - 06/22/06 05:09 AM

i think the most anoying voice i have heard is the girl on beyond atlantis 2, which is really part ,3, i think they used on broken sword 3 too, cry scared
Posted By: chrissie

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 08:36 AM

I can't remember her voice but I can think of a few others! Most of the voice actors in Forever Worlds, the wife in The Watchmaker and most of the voice acting in The Chronicles of the Sword was so bad, especially the fairies, it was entertaining! - loved the game! smile
Posted By: Becky

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:09 AM

You loved the game because the voice acting was so bad? whistle

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:31 AM

rotfl I didn't phrase things too well did I!
I loved the game because of the story, despite the awful voices and the terrible accents which after a while I found amusing! From what I remember the graphics were pretty awful too! smile
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 11:55 AM

BLACK MIRROR the main man.I forget his name now.
There just wasn't any life or feeling in his voice.
Posted By: challis3

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 12:25 PM

EVERY character in Watchmaker. YEECH. It was almost as thought they were being forced at gunpoint to record their lines.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 12:46 PM

Becky crosses The Chronicles of the Sword off of her "To Buy" list.

Wait, it was never there in the first place. Never mind.

Fairies with dreadful accents. Curious.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 01:14 PM

The police officer guarding the door to Eulemberg's bedroom in Martin Mystere--

I can usually just ignore bad voices--and often voices that bother others don't bother me--like Samuel in Black Mirror--but this guy drove me absolutely nuts.
Posted By: MsMercury

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 01:26 PM

The police officer in Martin Mystere and Mustavio in Keepsake.....aaarrrggghhhhh!

Mary laugh
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 01:48 PM

Mary, I have to agree--Mustavio made me nuts--I was glad not to have to deal with him too often.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 02:01 PM

I have to agree that Mustavio had an irritating voice but I though it fitted his character!

You just don't know what you're missing Becky!!! I would have included Chronicles of the Sword in Flotsam's list but it had a few action sequences -you could have had a cup of tea while you were doing them but they were there all the same! lol

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 02:23 PM

Can you do them while closing your eyes? think

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 03:07 PM

Only while/instead of drinking the tea. laugh
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 04:20 PM

I have to get on the "Watchmaker" bandwagon. That was the worst voice acting I've ever heard in my life. The wife sounded like a junkie on the nod and the caretaker guy...you could barely understand him.

there was some other game I played recently...Niburu maybe? I can't quite remember...anyway, one of the villains couldn't quite get his nationality straight. He kept wandering around Europe, sometimes Scottish, sometimes German, sometimes Russian or Hungarian. Odd.

WW
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 05:51 PM

My choice wont be popular with most here.

To me the voice of the lead in Keepsake. I have not played this game simply because of her voice.
I couldn't even finish the demo because it irritated me so much. Now thats bad. lol
Posted By: Dineke

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 06:50 PM

Gabriel Knight himself, in "the beast within"
Posted By: Wollmaus

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:16 PM

GreyFuss, have you tried the European version of keepsake? The 'American Lydia' grated on my nerves as well, the British was much better for me.

The Beast Within was very funny for me - all the supposedly German characters speaking grammatically wrong German with such a thick American accent!! lol

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:28 PM

Wollmaus wave

European version? I didn't know there were two English versions. I wonder if there is someplace to hear a demo of a British voice.

Thanks I'll have to check that out.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Becky:

Fairies with dreadful accents. Curious.
Becky you sure know how to throw out straight lines ...must...not...make...joke....eerrggghhh! lol *runs*
Posted By: The Haze

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:43 PM

smile While I have long considered Syberia a fine game, the kid named "Momo" (Spelling?) was awful. I've even wondered if all the other characters didn't sound pretty good simply because he was pretty bad.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:53 PM

The Haze lol

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 07:58 PM

Momo didn't bother me. I used to work with People with Autism and other developmental disabilities and Momo was pretty high functioning!

WW
Posted By: Wollmaus

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:21 PM

GreyFuss, sorry, I don't have the link for the demo of keepsake anymore frown . There is a demo of the English version - I am certain about that. Hope Becky might help...!! wave

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:24 PM

Wollmaus

The demo of the English version is the one that irritated me. lol
Posted By: Mad

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:25 PM

Hi smile

Whilst I didn't "hate" the voice of Gabriel in GK2, I WAS terribly disappointed that it wasn't the lush, over the top tones of the delightful Mr. Curry cry

[Still trying to make my mind up about the worst voices I've ever heard - but the Watchmaker is looming large wink ]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:57 PM

Thank you Mag

Downloading English Keepsake demo.
Is that the European version?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonseyes:
I think the most annoying voice I have heard is the girl on Beyond Atlantis 2, which is really part 3. I think they used on Broken Sword 3 too,
Not the same actress at all. The voice actress in Beyond Atlantis 2 is actually a fairly well known actress, at least in Europe, Chiara Mastroianni. Nico in BS3 was voiced by Sarah Crook.

The worst I've heard was in Watchmaker and in Jazz and Faust. Other games may have corny cartoony accents or weird foreign accents or annoying voices, but for just plain flat out bad voice acting, nothing beats Watchmaker and Jazz and Faust (especially the ship captain Faust).
Posted By: Melia

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 10:22 PM

Greyfuss, I agree with you. She drove me nuts, too. An uninspiring acting job.
Posted By: agatharipley

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 10:27 PM

Worst voice has got to be Lydia in Keepsake. Voice acting in Watchmaker is really annoying too.
Posted By: MaG

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 10:36 PM

GreyFuss,

Try this site - European Keepsake info.

Now, I'm not sure if they removed the European demo or not.
Posted By: Douglas Bregger

Re: worst voice actors - 06/22/06 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by challis3:
EVERY character in Watchmaker. YEECH. It was almost as thought they were being forced at gunpoint to record their lines.
I was just about to mention that! Yes, the voice acting was pretty bad, in that game.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 03:03 AM

oooh - I'm with the Keepsake group - played it with the sound off,because I hated ALL the voices ! lol
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 03:36 AM

Well my..........

vote for the

worst........

voicactinginagamehastogoto - Crime Stories. eek ..

The absolute worse speech I've ever heard.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 03:43 AM

Check Inferno's comments on the voice in her Crime Stories review, Inland.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 03:56 AM

one hated to so far in paradise all the shishing and the people that can't talk to you, not that i love alot of dialolog but it fun to interact, i am a huge fan of ben sokal, i love syberia1+2 and amerazone
Posted By: Darlene

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 04:20 AM

Lydia in 'Keepsake'... sleep

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 04:27 AM

i have to say the dog too it sounds like casey casim on keepsake
Posted By: BaldBob

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 06:04 AM

This is an easy response for me: almost EVERY
adventure game I have played has had stilted
and unnatural voice acting. I'm guessing it's
where the developers (some of whom are likely the
voices themselves) saved the money.

The recent games tend to be better than the old
ones. The ones that fare the best with me are:
Indigo Prophecy, Still Life, most of the Myst/URU
series, and my personal best-of-show: Tomb Raider
Legend (the English actress that portrays Lara in
this recent game is the best you will hear in ANY
game you will ever play).
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny100:
Check Inferno's comments on the voice in her Crime Stories review, Inland.
It was quite bad - and I do believe she nailed the reasons (I'm also glad I'm not the only one that thinks it could have been better).

Nice review by the way - I liked it. smile
Posted By: flotsam

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 06:16 AM

I actually liked the sound of her voice in Atlantis 3, but she was just so bored. So in that respect it was pretty ordinary acting.
Some accents are particularly annoying, Mustavio among them and the Aussie thug in Dreamfall. Like some others I am not at all enamoured of the Keepsake voices.
All the voice acting in Gothos was so bad it was hilarious.
Posted By: nickie

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 01:15 PM

The voice acting in most games is just fine to me - maybe I should get out more. laugh The only one that really bothered me was The Watchmaker.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/23/06 05:44 PM

Oh, yeah! Jazz and Faust--I had forgotten.

"I am Faust, Captain of the Invincible, and I'm too dumb to live!"

I also was annoyed w/Tim Curry in GK3. In GK1, Gabe sounded really kind of sophisticated AND he had no problem with the occasional French and German. But in GK3 he's a total dork who can barely speak English, much less any foreign language. I think that was bad directing, tho'.

WW
Posted By: granny

Re: worst voice actors - 06/24/06 07:47 AM

The voices that threw me off the most were in Atlantis-The Lost Tales.

Here were all these stalwart, half dressed Egyptian gaurds strutting around, and out pops these off the wall cockney, scottish, lower London, and other strange accents. Really startled me right out of the game world.
Posted By: Teresa D

Re: worst voice actors - 06/24/06 11:11 AM

I have to agree about The Watchmaker. I almost stopped playing because I had to go back to the wife so many times. It never made my replay list.
I actually quite liked Tim Curry in GK3 because that was the first of the series I played. He was definitely much more urbane and sophisticated in the first one, I think I smiled through all the dialogue in that game.
Posted By: AdvGameFan

Re: worst voice actors - 06/24/06 08:31 PM

I simply Have to jump in with my 2 cents in defence of Tim Curry in GK3. I thought that he ACTED like a Dork in order to glean more info if the others thought he was clueless. I Loved, Loved all the Gabe Knight Games.
I also thought the voice of the Caretakers Wife in The Watchmaker was the absolute worst ever and her clothes were at match to her voice. mad

Bee
Posted By: irishgirl1228

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ron.etti:
BLACK MIRROR the main man.I forget his name now.
There just wasn't any life or feeling in his voice.
I totally agree! I just finished Black Mirror with monotone Samuel and started Nibiru with Martin and what a difference. It's nice to work with a character that has some inflection in his voice! wink
Posted By: Tracy

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 07:40 PM

I am SO glad to find that others find some voices annoying too! smile Mine would have to be Samuel from Black Mirror (could he BE more monotone?), and Celeste's father from Keepsake. When I listened to his voice-over I was stunned by just how bad he was. frown
Others would be Lydia and Mustavio (also from Keepsake).

(I'm sensing a theme here....) wink

Cat, tossing in her two cents
Posted By: Melia

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 08:26 PM

Do you think the game developers are "listening in" on our conversation and taking notes? :hopeful:
Posted By: tinagoss

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 08:53 PM

I'm probably on my own with this one . . . but I really didn't like Delaware St. John's voice. Kind of monotone and for someone who's supposed to be creeped out by his psychic abilities, he doesn't even change the pitch of his voice.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 11:27 PM

That's ok Tina, I think I must be really on my own when I say I LIKED Samuel's voice from Black Mirror. laugh
Posted By: tinagoss

Re: worst voice actors - 06/25/06 11:41 PM

Nope, you're not on your own . . . I liked him too! Maybe I'm a sucker for bad english accents!
Posted By: gymcandy1

Re: worst voice actors - 06/26/06 12:51 AM

You can add my mark under the Keepsake column. wink

Actually I thought Celest's father was the worst character voice I've ever heard. Not that any of them were very good.

Zak was ok I guess. woozy

wave joe

Re: worst voice actors - 06/26/06 07:05 AM

Then I'm in fine company, Tina! wave

Re: worst voice actors - 06/26/06 04:14 PM

I don't get why so many people were turned off by the voice acting in Keepsake. It just didn't strike me one way or the other--as particularly good or particularly bad. I mean, just NOT like the horror of The Watchmaker!!

WW

Re: worst voice actors - 06/26/06 04:53 PM

Have to agree with you there WW - I was surprised to see Keepsake mentioned - Mustavio aside! I thought the voices were okay! smile

Re: worst voice actors - 06/26/06 05:06 PM

I thought Mustavio's music was more annoying than his voice. The first few hundred times I heard it I thought it was cute. The next few hundred times, though...

WW

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wysewomon:
I don't get why so many people were turned off by the voice acting in Keepsake. It just didn't strike me one way or the other--as particularly good or particularly bad. I mean, just NOT like the horror of The Watchmaker!!

WW
I'm in complete agreement. Watchmaker is the absolute worst for bad voice acting IMO. A lot of people had problems with the voices going out, but in the case of Watchmaker it was a blessing.
Posted By: gymcandy1

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 12:23 AM

Haven't played Watchmaker WW. duh

wave joe
Posted By: zookeeper

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 03:26 AM

I also have to go with Black Mirror...the main character. I couldn't finish that game because of it.

Also, the minitaurs...I think that's what they're called...the guardian bull things in Keepsake...anyway, they talked so excruciatingly slow! Had to keep forwarding thru that, but sometimes the characters just stood there silent for the time that it took for them to talk anyway, it didn't help to forward thru. Very annoying.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 08:04 AM

I agree with you Jenny100, Chrissie and WW - funny how some voices can really bother people, and other people think they're just fine. I haven't seen anyone come out in defense of Watchmaker though. laugh
Posted By: kastro

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 08:59 AM

Definitely Lydia from Keepsake.She just ruined a beautiful game.Also, the other actors from the same game, with a small exception of Celeste's voice...

Re: worst voice actors - 06/27/06 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gymcandy1:
Haven't played Watchmaker WW. duh

wave joe
You have not experienced bad voice acting until you've played the Watchmaker. (Is that like saying, "Arrgh, this stinks! here, smell it!") The game as a whole was okay, though.

WW

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 04:16 PM

Just have to add a new most irritating voice. frown

Played 5 minutes of the new Al Emmo Demo and Al has to be placed in the top ten annoying voices for sure. Didn't care for the game, I can't imagine playing it and listening to that voice every day. And the game hasn't even been released.

Good luck with this one. Not my cup of tea. wave
Posted By: aretha

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 04:24 PM

I didn't like Al Emmo's voice either but as nothing is as bad as The Watchmaker it's starting to annoy me less. Hope to get used to it when I have the full game.
Posted By: challis3

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 05:25 PM

I have to agree with Al's voice- I get that they are going for nerdy but that doesn't have to equate to annoying. Wasn't bowled over by the demo either.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 05:32 PM

challis lol rotfl
Posted By: hammer

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 08:48 PM

Have you guys ever played Drascula? If not, go play it, come back, and then tell me that is not the worst voice acting ever.

Re: worst voice actors - 06/30/06 11:08 PM

I never could get the voices on that to work, Hammer. Maybe that's a good thing? laugh
Posted By: hammer

Re: worst voice actors - 07/02/06 06:11 PM

Well, you are missing the laughs when some of the dialog comes out in Spanish instead of English smile
Posted By: margiesam

Re: worst voice actors - 07/03/06 06:08 PM

All voices in watchmaker & the main guy in Black Mirror.
Posted By: EdA

Re: worst voice actors - 07/04/06 03:24 AM

I don't know about worst, and I haven't played Watchmaker, Keepsake, or Black Mirror, but for most annoying I'd have to say the parrot in Starship Titanic. I wanted to throttle that bird!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community