GB HOMEPAGE

DOS Game Setups

Posted By: Llewton

DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 05:43 PM

Does anyone out there have a DOS setup that works with most DOS games? I'm trying to play Riddle of Master Liu and Are you Afraid of the Dark. Riddle goes to load in MSDOS then brings me back to the desktop. Afraid says I need 1072 more memory (doesn't specify what type). Running Windows 98 SE. Here are is my setup. Anyone have any changes to suggest so I can run these and most other DOS games?

Autoexec:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT
\BIN\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD000

Config:

LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH = C:\ATAPI\TOSHV224.SYS /D:MSCD000
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM 1024 D=64
DOS=HIGH,UMB
files=99
DEVICEhigh=\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD001 /N:1

Thanks in advance

Bill
Posted By: MrLipid

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 06:00 PM

Have you considered creating a DOS boot disk?

Even though DOS is supposed to run cleanly from within 98SE, starting from a boot disk assures that DOS is running without Windows. It was the only way I was able to get the audio to work in Noctropolis.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Llewton:
Does anyone out there have a DOS setup that works with most DOS games? I'm trying to play Riddle of Master Lu and Are you Afraid of the Dark. Riddle goes to load in MSDOS then brings me back to the desktop. Afraid says I need 1072 more memory (doesn't specify what type). Running Windows 98 SE. Here are is my setup. Anyone have any changes to suggest so I can run these and most other DOS games?

Autoexec:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT
\BIN\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD000

Config:

LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM 1024 D=64
Why do you have two lines for EMM386.EXE?
REM out the one you're not using.

I'm pretty sure I used NOEMS for both ROML and Afraid. I'll have to check the games though.

Quote:

You already have that line.

Quote:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
files=99
DEVICEhigh=\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD001 /N:1
Is there a reason you have lines both for Taisatap.sys and Toshv224.sys drivers? I usually go for simplicity and use one CD driver for both CD drives. Even if only one worked for each drive, I'd only load the driver for the drive I was going to use.

I got both ROML and Afraid running without using a boot disk - just using Start\Shut Down\restart in MSDOS mode. But I didn't play through the games.

I'll go load them up and see what autoexec and config stuff gets them working.

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 06:43 PM

Thanks Jenny. Let me know which works. I have a boot disk from a ways back Mr Lipid that I was walked through creating. Not sure now the way to do it.

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 06:52 PM

Here's what I have that works for ROML, run using Start\Shut down\Restart in MSDOS mode. Note that I have an AWE 64 sound card in this computer so the lines for the sound card will be different from yours. Also, if you use a boot disk, some of the stuff in my dosstart.bat should be in your autoexec.bat

C:\autoexec.bat

SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 P6

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

C:\config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=CDROM.SYS /D:MYCD

C:\Windows\dosstart.bat

C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MYCD
C:\CTMOUSE.COM /2

Will go check Afraid now.

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/28/04 07:08 PM

Are you Afraid works with the same configuration.
However when I installed it to my D: partition instead of my C: partition, it rebooted the computer when I tried to start the game. There didn't seem to be a problem when I had it installed to C: though.

Generally, "newer" DOS games, especially those that are supposed to run in Windows, do OK with the NOEMS switch in the EMM386 line. Older DOS games may want RAM in the EMM386 line instead of NOEMS.

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/29/04 01:04 AM

I think I have a bad disk of ROML. It installs for a second and about a 1/4 of the game logo shows then freezes (same in DOS and MSDOS). Thanks anyway Jenny. Looks like I can forget about this one unless I get a loaner from someone.

Re: DOS Game Setups - 03/29/04 05:34 AM

That's what ROML did on my PII 400. I don't know if it was a computer speed problem or a VESA problem. But the same game runs on my old 233 MHz AMD.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community