GB HOMEPAGE

can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream

Posted By: Llewton

can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream - 08/07/04 09:37 PM

I tried a few times to install I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. When I go to do the sound configuration for midi it finds my card (soundblaster16 PCI 1 7 1). However then it says it can't save, or says can't find XMIDI hardware. When I try digital sound it says no digital sound hardware found. Win 98 SE, athalon 900, 786 Ram (system configed to 512 for this game install)have cut back sound and graphic accel. Tried Turbo. None of these worked. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Bill
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream - 08/07/04 09:55 PM

I've never played this game. It may be fussy about the sound card. The PCI version of the SB16 isn't the best for DOS games. When the game says it can't save, it probably means it can't save the sound settings because it didn't find any.

Your best bet is probably to play it using an emulator. I Have No Mouth is supposed to be supported by version 0.60 of DOSBox, so I suppose the current version 0.61 would also support it. But I don't remember for sure if the latest version works on Windows 98 or not.

If you don't want to use an emulator and plan to play a lot of other DOS games, and if your computer's motherboard has an ISA slot, you might consider buying the ISA version of the SB16 off ebay. It's much more compatible with DOS games than the PCI version and they are very inexpensive on ebay.
Posted By: genf

Re: can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream - 09/01/04 06:00 PM

I have a similar problem. Whatever I configure, I get either music or sound (voice, effects) but never both.

I copied the settings from Shannara which uses a similar interface for sound configuration, but to no help.

I am not willing to buy and install new hardware - if that's the only solution, I would prefer to go without music. But any tips would be very welcome. I have Windows 98 SE, ESS Solo sound card.
Posted By: tigger

Re: can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream - 09/01/04 06:29 PM

It ran fine on my old machine which had a SB awe 32, do remember I set it to just sb compatibility and dud it manually rather than using autodetect.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: can't Get sound configured in I Have No Mouth and I Must scream - 09/01/04 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by genf:

I am not willing to buy and install new hardware -
Actually it's OLD hardware that you'd have to buy for it. Several years old.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community