GB HOMEPAGE

SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS

Posted By: infernoj13usa

SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/06/04 07:49 PM

In the past few days we have had some wonderful and very serious discussions on the board here with regard to the "Pest Infestations" our beloved Computers can unfortunately pick up while we "surf the net".

To be sure these Virtual maladies can slow down our systems and as a direct result can render them practically useless. And just what will
we do if we sit idley by and let these vermin
dictate what goes on inside the privacy of our own Computers? Not be playing Myst4,Lights Out, Silver Earring or online games much, I can promise you.
mad

We must be ever vigilant in our defense
against this type of scumm! How do we do this???

think Simple:

Education
  • Knowledge is Power

I'm placing here a few links to get you started.
    </font><ul type="square">
  • The Spyware Test Guide CT-4,2004 by Eric L Howes
    This Test pits 20 Anti-Spyware and Anti-Adware against 15 malicious programs and/or files downloaded off the net from Grokster. It offers
    a clear:
    Results Database
    key
    # of False-Positives for each program
    # of files removed "X/134"
    Links for possible downloads and further information
  • Download.com\'s Spyware Central
    Downloads.com has an immense amount of info packed into this little page. A big Thanks to Shaolinphil and Johnboy298 for bringing it to my attention.
  • Pest Patrol Database
    Here you'll be able to locate and get a description of many pests with don't belong on your system. Example: Type in:HOTBAR and just see what comes up!
  • The SPYWAREBLOG from SPYWARE Warrior
    Lots a very informative bits of information on this subject complete with referrals, archives
    and links.
  • C NET\'s NEWS.COM
    As Shaolinphil and Johnboy298 suggests this topic is a must read
  • Eric Howes Privacy & Security Page
    If you Bookmark nothing else from this article, I implore you to Bookmark this link. Read it, Use it, Live by it.
  • Spyware/Adware/Hijackware Tools
    Here are lists (including links) of various types of software to use against the fight of keeping your system safe from those who would invade our privacy, virtual telemarketing, do our systems harm or worse.
  • Rogue Anti-Spyware
    Just like in reality, our virtual world is full of STRANGERS. Not everyone is our friend (present company excepted, of course.) There are those who with predatory like tactics are out to make a buck at the expense of the inexperienced Internet user. It is so important to READ before you download... and know how to search in the appropriate places before choosing those programs which might do you more harm than good.
  • Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Websites by Eric L Howes and presented by Spy Warrior.com
    The title really does say it all, Shaolinphil: My eyes have been opened and I am grateful to you. I actually had tried a few of these programs on the list unaware that they were not what they seemed to be. No wonder my computer crashed last week. (ADAWARE knockoff... and believe me, you need to use the REAL DEAL, my friends!!!)
    Here on this page of his marvelous site Mr Howes lists </font><ul type="square">
  • As mentioned in the link above. Quite startling eek
  • Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Sites
    I don't recommend checking any of these out...Lord know what one might catch... rolleyes But it's really nice to know that the research was done.
  • Clones/Knockoffs
    Complete with comments
  • Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products
    Here are where the recommendations are listed, along with some valuable tips for further protection and we can do before downloading anything.
    </font><ul type="square">
  • Run an anti-spyware scanner (or two...)
  • Install anti-spyware protection
  • Lock down your browser
  • Securely configure the Internet zone
  • Add bad sites to the Restricted sites zone
  • Use an alternative browser

[*]Other Anti-Spyware Tools
[*]If Your PC is Infested w/ Spyware...
Here he offers concrete suggestions in plain English to try to correct the problem.
[*]Google & Anti-Spyware Products
A very informative warning about using the paid search results. They aren't always what they might seem to be. Learn to use your best judgement.
[*]More Information
Finally, the bottom of this page suggests more links for further reading and education.</ul><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></ul><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></ul><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also was very pleased to note that Mr. Howes does not belong nor is financed by any of the groups or sites he writes about. Very objective. Well done, Mr. Howes!

It is truly my wish that all of you will take the time to learn about this very grave danger that we all face every time we connect to the Internet.
It will never go away, it will only get worse and more and more virulent. I feel that it touches all of us here at Gameboomers and everyone else who surfs online. I receive countless emails asking to help with a game only to find that part of the reasons it won't work is because their systems are so heavily bogged down with this garbage. It is my sincere hope that this research will be of some help to one and all.

As Always
Inferno
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/12/04 06:54 PM

Very nice compilation! thumbsup
Posted By: popcorneater

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/15/04 06:44 PM

Wow Inferno, eek

Thanks for all the look-sees and links..keep this on board for awhile, when the new baby arrives it shall be protected..
I know I'll have to read; but any mention of how to keep MS from putting stuff on your computer even when you say no....? mad

Ingie laugh
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/18/04 04:57 PM

Inferno, you never cease to amaze me. Thank you for all that work! thumbsup

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/18/04 07:41 PM

You very welcome,
Remember : The Truth is out there!

Inferno
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/18/04 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by infernoj13usa:
You very welcome,
Remember : The Truth is out there!

Inferno

Sorry, I just couldn't resist lol

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/19/04 04:01 AM

I know.....that why I wrote it.
I couldn'y resist either whistle
Inferno
Posted By: maryc64

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/25/04 07:40 AM

I am wondering as my brain cannot comprehend all that the first post explained. Odd, Mary goes to Cnet to download a spyware program. Pop-up comes up but had a feeeeling! Checked it's description against what was supposed to be downloaded. Not the same. So I followed the links to correct place and used the indicated down pointing arrows from which to download. Is this another threat?
Am I a ditz? Arghh....
Posted By: catlee

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/27/04 05:05 AM

My husband and i, just finish clean our 4 computers, from been bugged and acked.
We never had this kind problem before. And after 2 weeks, of hard work, we finally cleaned them up.

We use many bug snappers, registry cleaners, firewalls and addresses inquisitors.

Some brend are the same of the ones are posted here.
Here`s another helpfull one:

http://hijackthis.de/index.php

It is a log file, and is free. It will show your files and what they are for and how can couse truble when some ackers try to get in your system.

Hijackthis, will scan and fix it. But i think if some of you din`t know about it. you can try it out. You be glade you did.

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/27/04 05:53 PM

Catlee that is wonderful. I'd already mentioned in the Tips and Tweaks aboutHijackThis! I'm an avid user as well.
What I particularly like about it is that if your not sure just what to put into your "ignore list" (save) and what to "fix" (delete) you just copy the log file and go over to thier forum and post it... they will gladly tell you what it good and what may be not so good.
It's also mentioned by Eric Howes in his article: Spyware/Adware/Hijackware Tools

and in these articles as well:
To Be Forewarned Is To Be Forearmed!
Arghhhh-spyware and viruses-
file name warning
Protection programs
Tips & Tweaks Submitted by Our Boomies

Great program.

Inferno
Posted By: girlgeek

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/27/04 06:02 PM

NOTE OF WARNING:

DO NOT USE the "Virtual Bouncer Uninstaller" that the link in the previous post lists!! It is made by the people who made Virtual Bouncer, and leaves remnants of VB ON YOUR MACHINE!!! VB then REactivates itself on your machine. No...I don't know HOW or WHY, but it indeed DOES.

I had one helluva time getting rid of Virtual Bouncer and suggest that you do not trust ANYTHING that this company makes.

To rid myself once and for all of VB...after trying EVERYTHING else...I did what NOW is obvious to me, and ran a search on my PC deleting EVERY SINGLE FILE that had virtual bouncer in it...and trust me...there were a LOT. I had run SpyBot and AVG directing them to delete it, and yet still...files remained. I had to manually delete everything attached to VB.

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/27/04 06:16 PM

The link you are describing is to get rid of Virtual Bouncer (which is malware) not the program itself... You could have also gotten rid of it quickly by using Spy Sweeper as well.

I've sent an email off to Mr Howes and hopefully he will investigate it for us. Perhaps you should send an email as well describing exactly what happenned to you did, Girlgeek. Hopefully, he will investigate it further and either place the link on his "suspect programs page" or tell you how to properly cofigure it. The links posted on the page that I gave are supposed to be safe for download unless otherwise noted as having been tested by him. He does also have a "suspect page as well" Keep in mind he doesn't endorse any of the programs or links that he lists unless there is a notation attesting to that fact.

It still amazes me that so many people choose not configure their browsers properly (be it IE or not)if at all. Fully knowing about the dangers out on the web. I encourage all of you to check out the "tools" and "internet options" button of your browser and take the time to configure them properly. The very first post in this thread talks about this and mentions a link for it.

Inferno

Inferno

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/28/04 04:47 PM

As promised, I have written to Eric Howes regarding the problems our poor Girlgeek had to face with the removal of "Virtual Bouncer"

His kind reply is as follows:

Quote:

As to why VB itself would be so resistant to removal, that's probably because it installed multiple components on your system, one of which is reinstalling it once it detects VB is missing. That's increasingly common with unwanted adware/spyware applications these days -- they take measures to prevent or undermine uninstallation.

If that gamer is still having problems removing VB, I would suggest that she go through a HijackThis log analysis at a major anti-spyware forum. See here for tips on how to do that.
I have replied to his email and asked him to retest the uninstaller program to see if further analysis might be warranted... I'm waitng for his reply.

Inferno
Posted By: girlgeek

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/29/04 01:01 AM

Thanks, Inferno! That's great info there, and I will hopefully not need it!! BUT...if I EVER encounter that damnable Virtual Bouncer AGAIN...I will be looking for this thread!! That was THE worst time I EVER had removing anything from my computer (other than AOL, Norton, Quicktime, or Kazaa)!! LOL

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/29/04 03:17 AM

Just got the reply from Eric and what we both were thinking was correct. Unfortunately you had more than one instance of Virtual Bouncer on your system... which really does make sense now to me.

HijackThis! and Spy Sweeper would have caught all instances in all files where its tentacles might have reached.

I've got to tell ya though ... if you haven't already done it ... configure your browser. Put those restricted sites in, set up prompting for third party cookies, and always delete your cookies/files and history after each and every internet session. Since I've done this, the only creepy crawlies I get on my system now are the ones from Bad Mojo!!! lol

Inferno
Posted By: jayne

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/01/04 04:45 AM

Thanks so much, Inferno. I have been trying to figure out a way to get rid of DSO Exploit. Apparently Spybot does not kill it. I will look through your list tomorrow to see if there is some way to drive a stake through its heart.

I really appreciate you taking the time and going to the trouble to put together a list to help fend off these attacks. I am not very computer savy and get very frustrated trying (and frequently failing) to protect myself from invisible enemies.

Jayne
Posted By: blsbet44

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/07/04 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by infernoj13usa:

I've got to tell ya though ... if you haven't already done it ... configure your browser. Put those restricted sites in, set up prompting for third party cookies, and always delete your cookies/files and history after each and every internet session. Since I've done this, the only creepy crawlies I get on my system now are the ones from Bad Mojo!!! lol

Inferno
that is the best advice inferno. that is what I did a while ago. It has cut down on bugitos tremendously! bravo

If you haven't done so, you might think about making a post on how to do this on 98 and on XP for those of us who aren't PC savvy!
smile
Posted By: Vizagoth

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/07/04 01:48 PM

The last two versions of Norton AV will also track and remove spyware/malware from your machine.
Viz
Posted By: Sequoia

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/10/04 03:22 PM

So glad that I ran across this thread. I downloaded spybot and ran it: eeeg gads!!!

Cleaned it all up, then immunized my stystem. Ran it again when I was through surfing the next day and got an error message:

Error during check!
BackOrifice.B (Datei C\:Windows\wininit (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)

When I looked in windows all I saw was a notepad file for this and I couldn't open it, got the same error message that it was being used by another process.

My question is: is this being used by something bad that has gotten into my machine, or is it being used by some program that I've got running? I closed all of my programs before running Spybot, so I'm not sure what it could be.

Sequoia
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/10/04 07:14 PM

A Google search found this information on the Spybot problem

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=24389

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/10/04 07:17 PM

And from here
http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/14046.html

something about an update here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/11/04 05:00 PM

Thanks Jenny for the info. I've been reading the boards and it sure is confusing. I can't tell if it is just an error message within the program itself, or is it missing the trojan BackOrifice. A lot of discussion on the boards about this problem. I downloaded a recent update (yesterdays) and hopefully this will address the problem

Sequoia

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/11/04 10:37 PM

Try using HIJACKThis! and run the program....save the log and then post it in thier forum.....They are more then happy to help out.
Inferno

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 11/13/04 09:22 PM

Seems like the update fixed things. I ran Spybot again and it found some things to fix, but it did not show up the error message again, so it looks like they fixed the problem.

I found it interesting that I went to a link for an article about spyware that was posted at PCWorld.com and I had trouble accessing it since I kept getting a message that the site wanted to download spyware onto my machine!!!!

Sequoia
Posted By: soot

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 04/19/05 02:23 AM

Thank you for this composite source of info Inferno!!! bravo thumbsup praise

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 05/01/05 09:45 AM

Back again. I am now using the Beta form of Microsoft Anti-spyware. Now this RealNVC thing pops up as a threat that can be ignored. In researching RealNVC, I found it allows computer sharing.
What I wonder is if any online game would install that?
Here are the files I have found relating to this and I don't know the importance of the file extensions and what to do:
vnc-3.3.7-x86_win32
G:\RealVNC INSTALLED
unins000.dat
unins000.exe
vncviewer.exe
othread2.dll
vnchooks.dll
winvnc.exe
I did a search of what other items might have been installed on the "created" dates of these programs and files but found nothing.
I play Second Life, Until Uru and Agon but, of course, have no time to do so now due to illness.
I want to know if I can delete these files or what to do?
Why am I sharing my computer? That's what the description indicates. I am not networked or anything with any of my or other computers.
I did web searches on this RealVNC and went to Cnet but really am mystified. Any comments, suggestions, etc?
It's creepy as it has to do with computer sharing.
Thanks for any response at all. help
Posted By: J.Wright

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 07/14/05 02:06 AM

toptenreviewsdotcom reviews the top 20 spyware software.i got the spyware eliminator for the price of "National Treasure" DVD at herman street.
Posted By: exalthim2

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 07/27/05 03:30 AM

Hey Inferno,
I don't have a clue about all those things you talked about but you convinced me to become more educated and vigilant. I love your site. I'm honored to be in communication with you.
thumbsup thumbsup

Thanks
Kim

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 07/29/05 03:55 PM

Your welcome. I hope it helps you.

PS ---> The research isn't mine alone. Jenny100 and I are a great team, along with all the Boomies who have contributed over the years to Glitches.

Inferno
Posted By: Heather

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/20/05 08:48 PM

Oh dear, am all of a dither over this spyware. is there a free one to take out the spys - sorry not very good at this sort of thing. But can I download something to remove it all.
Thanks
Heather
Posted By: Robert

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/20/05 09:14 PM

Hi Heather ,

Check out this page . There are links to several free ones . Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Spybot Search and Destroy are 2 good ones . I would suggest getting both as one might catch something that the other misses .

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/20/05 09:21 PM

Oh thanks Robert shall try them now.

Will let you know what happens

Heather happydance

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/20/05 09:25 PM

I'm back sorry, Microsoft give you a list of what you are on (dial up etc.) I'm on broadband and it doesn't have that. Does that mean I dont get spyware on broadband. Oh I am thick!!!

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/20/05 09:53 PM

Use the drop-down box and select your connection speed ( DSL )

click here

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 10:49 AM

Oh dea Robert, how do I know my connection speed - its 2 something or other I think just been upgraded from l something or other. Oh I am a fool!!!!! Help!

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 10:50 AM

Oh, sorry forgot, Downloaded Spybot and when I tried to open it Microsoft said they couldn't because they didn't know where it came from!!! This is like herding cats at a crossroads!

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 11:13 AM

The Microsoft anti-spyware program should have given you a choice about what to do with the program your trying to open . Allow it or block it . Since YOU know it's safe , you need to allow it .

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 11:16 AM

Either DSL connection speed you choose will work .

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 05:47 PM

Oh Robert I am so pleased, I really don't know what I did befor GB. Have got the microsoft one and scanned my computer - said there was no files detected. I am chuffed with you. You are the man!

Heather bravo thumbsup :kiss:

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 06:25 PM

That's good Heather bravo . Be sure to check it regularly if you surf the net a lot .

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 07:44 PM

Hi! Because I posted once in this thread, I receive all the update notices. I love MS Spyware as I shared earlier!
It's Beta, as I understand. And so often, if one does recognize the program, yes, it warns you and you can allow it! It offers a quick or deep scan. It's quick and doesn't take a lot of room.
Norton Professional....ewwww! Huge, hoggy, program! Too complicated to use and slows computer down more and more.
I also added the MS Malicious Software removal tool. http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Now, what fun and easy. (What I don't get about this little, neat feature is I open the file and it scans. I just wonder have I installed it? It functions so easily that it's a mystery! As each time I ask for a scan, it doesn't install, it scans. Some of the experts here, may have it. Am I using it correctly? I do get results too! All is clean!) Is it a weak program? Or strong?
Pop-ups! We all know these can be virus carriers. On some NVidia cards, under Desktop Manager/
Applications/Enhancements, there is a pop-up blocker. I constantly forget as there is also one with the SP2 from MS under Tools on the Toolbar, too.
To see a desired pop-up, and if one disables the Tools pop-up blocker and doesn't want to go to the hassle of turning off the Nvidia blocker, quickly have your mouse on the desired pop-up and hit Control button. A bunch of circles pop-up but you've grabbed the desired pop-up. Otherwise, let a dubious pop-up die.
At Gateway, when I ask the site to scan for my computer's serial number, this is in the form of a pop-up but done so fast, it can't be grabbed. I go there to look at my computer's updates.
(Lately GW's update hasn't been reliable though.)
Now, non of these will catch all pop-ups! This is what is always explained when one installs a pop-up blocker tool.
Also, there is something like "frame stealing" where I've received two viruses. My phrasing isn't exact. So security settings can help, but it's so difficult to avoid those kind of "set ups!" Anyone have any ideas here? I need help for this problem.
I describe it as a site that's overrided by another page so fast, you see the original site and suddenly another page is over it! When that happens, it can be an indication that you've just been virused!
AVG catches it, puts it in jail. I found them researching contra-indications for drugs.
So read the address carefully of where you want to go.
If it's a blog, that can be iffy, boring and send one in circles. Blogs were mentioned earlier.
One must just and look at the address when doing searches and judge if it's one that's known, sounds familiar, or judge if it could be just some doofus with some private site that might not be well protected.
Sometimes viruses are set to attack on sites that are frequently visited but not maintained. I figure it's some guy paying back the site as somehow the site made them angry! Maybe the mean person was cheated by that site! Who knows? It just punishes all of us!
Add-ons! Has this been discussed? There are two places to find these and the lists may differ!
These, if unrecognized, are still rather mysterious for me, but can be invasive, as I understand it.
You can update the Add-ons or Remove them if you it's not MS verified or dubious. Some are not dubious and not MS verified but okay, like the Gateway Update manager. That's about all I know about Add-ons, but I think this is something to be looked at for spyware. I just don't know enough about them!
(Offtopic, GW update manager is unreliable. It's best to update drivers at each hardware/software site. GW Update manager gave me drivers for a laptop and I have a desktop.
Installing cabs isn't the topic here, but each should be checked for being appropriate for your computer. So much work!)
If I repeat anything in this thread, sorry!
There are more fun downloads and I am now using Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update.
I also have it set so that they can email me when there's something new. It shows many more downloads to choose from as desired.
** Also, Inferno, do any of your tools help with that "Frame stealing" problem? I scanned the list and frankly don't know which tool might help. Comment if you have a momment. Or anyone's comments would be appreciated.
**Blsbet44, I can't find my darned third party cookies handler. Is it a third party browser?
I've looked and looked under Tools in Win XP.
Is there a site, or list somewhere for the best settings for Tools/Adanced? Are there other parts of Win XP that these can be adjusted?
I am missing this and know to do this but "Cookies" isn't on my Advanced list and that was a recommendation from one site but I can't find it! Or I'm impatient to read each detail but know I've scoured this area.
I know I've had links to sites with lists of what to check off for Tools/Advanced but have since lost them doing reinstalls.
Hope I've helped and not confused. Hope that discussing viruses wasn't too off topic!
Many of these tools offer an option of recording up to 1,000 results! Hmm....I just found out that last night on one of the tools, I forget which one. I think 50 is more reasonable. Does that make sense? What would you choose/do?
Otherwise, it's something else that might take up a lot of room? Or am I being too cautious about record keeping taking up room on a computer?
/wave happydance

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/21/05 07:45 PM

Will do Robert. Once again thanks for your help
Heather

thumbsup praise wave

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/22/05 06:00 PM

i am so pleased with my microsoft download. It scans automatically at a certain time and day - you all will know this of course. Just one thing. I see a reminder on it that it has to be renewed after 31st December. Do I just download it again or will it let me do it from the one I have. Not very technical am I???
Heather
Posted By: desertlilac

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 08/27/05 03:42 AM

Inferno - you mention in your posts here about setting up cookies by setting up prompting for third party cookies - all I have on my PC is blocking third party cookies. So am a bit confused as to which to use - the medium high block or the high block? There is no word about prompting for 3rd party cookies. Can suggest what to use?

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 09/05/05 04:44 PM

What browser are you using?
Posted By: willie

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 01/01/06 09:13 PM

'HI IS there a ''way to prevent ''pop' up adds' some where i heard there was a program called, '''pop up blocker'' 'WILLIE
Posted By: tigger

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 01/01/06 10:59 PM

both the yahoo and msn toolbars have pop-up blockers which you can enable - and they work!!
Posted By: Deano99

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 02/14/06 03:03 AM

Hello,everyone!I'm just now getting around to check this VERY important stuff out,shame on me!A year or two ago,I went to a site (freeze.com),and whoa!It did a number on my PC!!!!!Please!!Don't ANYONE go to this site!!It will play havoc with your PC!!No kidding!!Someone where I work told me to check this site out for some reason or another,and wow,it did a whammy on my PC!!I had to (refresh) my computer to a date before I opened/went into this site.Luckily,I was able to do this,and I haven't had any problems since.Whew!!Any rate,just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.Ha!Be careful out there!It truly is a dangerous world in the internet area.Deano99

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 03/05/06 11:51 PM

sure am late following through on this. I have IE 6.0 Did find prompt before downloading unsafe material and have trusted sites set for medium with restricted sites set for high.

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 03/05/06 11:55 PM

Another question - what is the best forum for interpretation of one's HiJackThis Log?

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 03/06/06 03:10 AM

Here it is -->

Castle cops forum

inferno

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 03/06/06 04:04 AM

Many thanks Inferno. Off and running:)

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 03/06/06 05:46 PM

Castle cops seems to be a fantastic forum Inferno. Thanks again for steering me there. And in case you have not read my other posts, think I have won a round with Dell - they are sending out a technician to replace my hard drive!!!! So all issues on hold for now. happydance
Posted By: runlolarun

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 04/06/06 11:34 PM

I don't want to post a new topic because it's not game related but can spyware/adware cause your internet history list to be loaded with pretty bad internet sites even though you haven't even been there?
Posted By: Wollmaus

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 04/11/06 08:53 PM

Just came across this site, thank you very much, inferno!
I marked the links for reading (as my English is limited, it will take some time..)
But good to know where to get real answers and not just advertisements

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 04/12/06 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by runlolarun:
I don't want to post a new topic because it's not game related but can spyware/adware cause your internet history list to be loaded with pretty bad internet sites even though you haven't even been there?
Yes --- most certainly it can if you have certain spyware or adware installed on your system/. It can also happen if you havew a trojan horse or worm .
I suggest that you run an anti adware /spyware program. in addition to "hijack This form castle cops.
To learn how to remove these pests check out the castle cops forum.

inferno
Posted By: Babs in Scotland

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 05/09/06 08:50 AM

I have my Yahoo & MSN popup blockers on all the time. I also have McVee Security Centre (The latest version). I also delete cookies and files after every internet session especially now I am on Broadband, as I have a fairly new computer which I do not want to go haywire. My question is am I protected enough or do I need to do more. Also I have a game which isn't installing properly and have been advised to switch off my anti virus is this safe?

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 05/14/06 02:09 PM

I have wireless connections for my Laptop and DSL for my Desk Top ---

If I shout down my TSR programs when playing a game --- I disconnect from the wireless and then reconnect and then restart my systems.

inferno

If you are connected to the internet you should not shutdown you protective systems.
Posted By: o1alien

Re: SPYWARE & ADWARE TEST RESULTS - 10/24/06 01:48 AM

I hate to sound dumb (compared to you I need to go see the Wizard), but you said type HOTBAR, where am I typing this?? See I told ya...lolol. E.T. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community