GB HOMEPAGE

Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP)

Posted By: Raj

Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 12:56 AM

I'm trying to run Beyond, Beyond, Atlantis (that is Beyond Atlantis 2, or Atlantis 3)... under XP and everything goes fine until I get to the first dialogue. I click on it, hear the character start to sau something... and then boom, I'm dumped to the desk top.

I've tried an uninstall and reinstall, and I have DirectX 8, and have new drivers.

The machine is like a 1.8 Gig processor, I think (it's new and I don't know it well... nor am I on it now).

The gamee says on the box it's good to go for XP.

Whadda do? Whadda do?

TIA!
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 01:36 AM

Hi Raj,
Do you have the Cryo version or the Dreamcatcher version?

friedmonky

P.S. - Wow! Before I replied to you, you were in Salem, MA and after I replied to you, you were in Portland, OR! Talk about moving fast - LOL!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 01:47 AM

The Cryo version is called Atlantis 3, and the Dreamcatcher version is called Atlantis 2. For the Atlantis 3 version, there are needed patches, but those problems have been fixed in the Dreamcatcher version. There are some suggestions on the Dreamcatcher support page for problems like yours.
JJK
Posted By: Raj

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 02:05 AM

Yeah... you gotta move pretty fast to keep up with me!

Actually though, I was just going over that location again because I think I missed an inventory item under the couch or something. Sure would be nice to find a ladder or some rope back there.

Thanks for your help and the dreamcatcher support tip.

I have the Dreamcatcher version. I'll look for patches, though.

Heck, who knows? I'll probably come accross some other patches that will make the Cryo historical games actually interesting...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 02:27 AM

Raj, the Dreamcatcher version doesn't need any patches, and any that you might find are for the Cryo version. I would not suggest that you try to install those.
jjk
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 04/16/03 02:44 AM

You might try reducing graphics and/or audio acceleration. And make sure the drivers you are using are compatible with DirectX 8.

I suppose it could also be a fast computer problem. If that's the case, a PC slowdown program like CPUKiller might help.

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 05/27/03 02:15 AM

I finally bought this game. However, I am having the EXACT same problem as Raj described above. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? I have tried everything!
Thanks,
Rusty

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 05/27/03 02:07 PM

Come to find out, after a little research on The Adventure Company's forum, this is a very common problem. It has to do with newer OEM versions of Windows XP. From what I can gather, when BA2 was made it was fully compatible with XP. However, Microsoft has since changed XP. So, computers from Oct 2002 to the present will have this problem with this game.
The Adventure Company says that they are working with Microsoft in addressing this problem. No news about this on the forum since April 2nd.
Rusty
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 05/27/03 07:20 PM

So that's the problem. I wish the Adventure Company luck dealing with Microsoft.

Re: Have I gotten too far beyond Atlantis? (XP) - 06/01/03 05:50 PM

Hello everyone,
UPDATE! The Adventure Company has issued a patch for this "newer XP" problem. It is downloadable from their Beyond Atlantis II support page.
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tac/support/atlantis2.html#patches
I have tried it out and it works great!
Rusty
© 2024 GameBoomers Community