GB HOMEPAGE

Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows?

Posted By: Erinus

Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 03:30 AM

I tried to install Alone in the Dark 3 and somehow I had my PC restart in DOS mode. How do I get my Windows98SE back? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 03:53 AM

If you used a boot floppy, remove the floppy before booting.

If you have a C: prompt, try typing
exit
and hit the Enter key.

If that doesn't work...

Did the game crash or something? If it did, it may have messed up your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. If that's the case, at the C: prompt type

ren config.sys config.txt

Enter it. Then type

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.txt

Enter it and reboot.
Posted By: Agent Provocateur

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 10:54 AM

simply type EXIT at the DOS prompt. This should take you back to Windows. Otherwise, try typing WIN if that doesn't work.

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 08:55 PM

Thanks for your help. I typed in "exit" and that took me back to windows. I installed the game, but can't seem to be able to play it. I installed from a CD, but when I open "My Computer" and try to access the game after opening my CD icon, I can't start the game.

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 09:01 PM

What does it do? Does it give you any error messages?

Also, where did you get the game? Is it the version that Playing Games Interactive sells?

Are you trying to play the game from within Windows?
Posted By: syd

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 09:11 PM

I just installed it and got it to run just fine. Click on your C drive - find the folder that says I-motion - click to open - click on folder that says Indark3 - find the icon that says AID3 and click - that starts the game. You can also send the shortcut to your desktop and start the game from there if you want.

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 09:53 PM

I bought it on Ebay. It is from I-Motion and seems to be new. I did what you said, went into C and opened the I-Motion folder. When I click on the icon my monitor just clicks off and comes back on but no game starts
Posted By: syd

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 10:02 PM

Sounds like the game doesn't like your video card or your sound card. Do you know what they are?

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 10:11 PM

I re-installed it and it seemed to install ok, just like last time. After installation is complete I get a black rectangular box that states: To start 'ALONE III' : cd \I-MOTION\INDARK3 and type AITD3

I am not sure what that means.

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 10:17 PM

I am running WIN98SE and my video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 and sound is Master Riptide on my old PC. I have 2 PC's. The one I am using to communicate with you is my brand new one with WINDOWSXP. I have the game installed on the old one.

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 05/31/03 10:26 PM

I should read the DOS FAQ''s and UTILITIES that is available here. Perhaps that will help me with this game. It looks like some heavy duty reading though.
Posted By: BillyBob

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 06/02/03 03:43 AM

If AITD3 is the .exe file for starting the game go to Start; Run: browse to and put AITD3.exe in that window and hit O.K or Enter and the game should start. laugh

Re: Stuck in DOS How do I get back to Windows? - 06/02/03 03:57 AM

Another thing you could try is to make a desktop shortcut to the game executable. To do this,
Right-click the desktop where there is no icon,
Move the Cursor to where it says New, and then across to click on Shortcut.
Browse to where the game executable is and highlight it. From what Syd said, it would be inside the Indark3 folder that's inside the I-Motion folder.
Click Open, then Next and Next and Finish.

If it's a DOS-type shortcut, right-click on it and choose Properties.
Click the Program tab, then the Advanced button.
Put a check where it says "Prevent MS-DOS-based Programs from detecting Windows" and OK out of it.
Then see if it works any better.

I remember someone else had problems with a Riptide sound card when they tried to play DOS games. It doesn't seem to have very good DOS sound emulation.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community