GB HOMEPAGE

Not enough memory for MS DOS prompt

Posted By: advgamelvr

Not enough memory for MS DOS prompt - 06/14/03 09:57 PM

I've never had a problem with the MS DOS prompt opening before. Last weekend I formatted my hard drive and installed everything fresh as general computer maintenance. When I went to click on the MS DOS prompt I got an error message saying "Not enough memory available to run this program. I have 784 RAM. athalon 900, ATI7000 vid. card with 64 mb, SB16PCi sound card, Win98 SE. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Not enough memory for MS DOS prompt - 06/15/03 06:23 AM

Maybe you have too much RAM. Win 98 sometimes has trouble with over 512 MB of RAM. Check this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912

It seems to have to do with your problem:

Quote:

If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows that are listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768 megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

* You may be unable to open an MS-DOS session (or command prompt) while Windows is running. Attempts to do so may generate the following error message:

There is not enough memory available to run this program.
Quit one or more programs, and then try again.

* The computer may stop responding (hang) while Windows is starting, or halt and display the following error message:

Insufficient memory to initialize windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer.

etc.
And it tells you what to do about it.
Posted By: advgamelvr

Re: Not enough memory for MS DOS prompt - 06/16/03 05:02 AM

Hi Jenny,
It's kind of weird but going against all the stuff written about this problem, my son in law (major computer wiz)actually helped me out by doing just the oposite and increased the memory in MSconfig from 786 to 999, and it worked. Haven't had a memory error message or blue screen since.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Not enough memory for MS DOS prompt - 06/16/03 05:12 AM

At least it's fixed.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community