GB HOMEPAGE

Carol Reed series

Posted By: misa

Carol Reed series - 02/24/08 04:57 AM

Any Carol Reed fans here?

I just bought East Side Story today from BFG and am about halfway through. I looooove the visuals, storyline, pacing, puzzles, soundtrack, etc. I plan on getting the first 3 as well.

The game makes me want to take a trip to Sweden!
Posted By: old lady

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/24/08 12:41 PM

I totally agree Misa, Just what I want from an adventure game i.e good story, charactors I can believe in, good puzzles and really good graphics. What more could a gamer want? praise bravo
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/24/08 07:27 PM

I have played Remedy and really enjoyed it. I have the Hope Springs one too, just haven't played it yet. I just need the Time one and then get Eastside from BFG. I was really surprised to see that BFG has it too. I have a new credit soon, so it will probably go for it.

Koalanut
Posted By: ssgamer

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/24/08 07:49 PM

I have and have played all four. Great games and when I had trouble in four, I was sent a fix for more time, by the makers. Great people and great response. Now if the other game makers could send more time when needed, I would be in seventh heaven, or even just heaven.
Charllotte
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/24/08 08:34 PM

Another fan here. Played all 4 and absolutely LOVED them, for all the same reasons you stated, Misa. I also enjoy roaming around alone in a quiet, eerie atmosphere (I suppose any game featuring a real place has that effect when no one's around... when the streets are empty).

You really get the feeling of 'being' there. If you can, absolutely get the other 3 in the series. I hope the Nyqvists have many others planned... can't wait for the next one and the next one after that, etc.!

Golden Gate, A Quiet Weekend in Capri, AnaCapri the Dream, & Sydney are others in this vein... where you get to take virtual vacations in actual places, and get to play detective while enjoying (& maybe getting eerie chills from) your surroundings.

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 01:00 AM

I'm about 3/4 of the way through now with a bit of help from the walkthrough here. Still loving it and can't wait to get my hands on the first 3 games.

Carrie, thanks for the game suggestions. I have AnaCapri but haven't started it yet. I was trying to find A Quiet Weekend in Capri but seems like it's hard to find these days. Haven't heard of Golden Gate or Sydney but I'll definitely put them on my list!
Posted By: marie

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 01:37 AM

misa, Oh yeh a Big Time Fan bravo I have played all four of her games, and my favorites are Remedy and Hope Springs Eternal, great stories, they really suck you in. I love that accent of Carol Reed also. I hope they do a number 5 sometime, because I'd sure rush out and get it. Marie wave
Posted By: Flo NS

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 02:24 AM

Glad someone here has gone farther than me in the game. I'm stuck with only 2 questions for Tony at the Skateboard Barn.

I've done everything I'm supposed to do up until now, I even went to the Library to get the info on Elvira Wallin, but I still only have 2 questions, and can't get any farther in the game.

Any ideas?

Flo
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 02:28 AM

Flo NS, please post questions for help in the Hints forum. thanks There are plenty of gamers that have finished this game.

Ana wave
Posted By: Flo NS

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 03:17 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that.

Thanks Ana
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 03:19 AM

lol YOu are used to the Casual Forum where we can ask hints in the same place. wink

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 03:29 AM

Well I finished the game after 2 days of marathon gaming. I did have to consult the walkthrough here a few times because I was getting a bit lost and turned around in certain places (Flo, definitely consult the walkthrough if you're stuck). I loved every minute of it (even the eerie parts) and am going to replay it this week just to see the sights and sounds again.

Speaking of the sounds, I can't get enough of the ambient soundtrack. I'm going to email MDNA and ask if they're ever going to release the soundtrack as mp3s or not.

I wonder if BFG will be getting the other 3 games soon. I hope so! I'm *this* close to purchasing all 3 from MDNA but trying to be patient to see if it pops up as a trade or sell here or on BFG. smile

ETA: I have a serious case of BAAGS. I couldn't even sit still after posting this and bought them from InteractCD. razz
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 04:17 AM

I once came across a link to the Carol Reed games where you could buy the first 3 games as a bundle and I can't find it anymore. Really enjoyed East Side Story and would like to get the other 3.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 06:49 AM

The authors themselves have all 4 games bundled for $60 http://www.mdna-games.com/buy-pp.htm You could asks them if they'd make you a deal on just the first 3.

Posted By: Becky

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 10:54 AM

Quote:
ETA: I have a serious case of BAAGS. I couldn't even sit still after posting this and bought them from InteractCD. razz

lol

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 06:19 PM

It's totally true though Becky! I sat here and hmmmed and hawed, searched the trading post forum and half.com and then clicked on the Interact link "just to see" if they had them and then a minute later I was checking out the first 3 games. laugh

I was very close to buying from the developers directly but I just didn't want to wait for international mail.

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/25/08 06:36 PM

We are very alike, you and I. grin

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/28/08 06:13 PM

Misa, Golden Gate is an oldie (1997). I searched for screenshots & found some attached to this review site: 4fatchicks as well as a review. JustAdventure also has a review, 'tho not many pics. GameBoomers has a walkthrough, but no pics with it. You get to visit a select few parts of SF proper (too few for me), and take the ferry to --and wander around-- Angel Island, as well. Someone on Amazon is selling it used for about $30, but that's a lot to pay, I think.

As for The Sydney Mystery, it's on my BAAGS list, too, because of the good things I've read about it here at GB. Here's the dev's site with nice game pics & other info about the game.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/28/08 09:44 PM

I played East Side Story and loved it. I bought it because it was vista compatible. Does anyone know if the other Carol Reed games are compatible to Vista?

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/28/08 10:38 PM

GBC -- you can look near the bottom of this page, and click on "contact us" -- you can ask about Vista compatibility for the earlier games.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/29/08 12:38 AM

Thank you Becky... I will do that.

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/29/08 01:12 AM

Carrie, thanks so much for the links!

For now I am eagerly awaiting my order of the other MDNA/Carol Reed games from Interact. Should be tomorrow. smile

Re: Carol Reed series - 02/29/08 11:27 PM

wave Have fun in Sweden Misa!

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/01/08 04:17 AM

Got my games from Interact today so you know what I'll be doing this weekend. smile

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/03/08 10:35 PM

grin Update~

The Sydney Mystery is now OFF my BAAGS list and ON its way to me! Just picked up my copy from Twilight Software. Must be the Spring-like weather this week... I'm feeling the symptoms of BAAGS in a big way. I also just picked up Sterling's Gift at the Trading Post (another game I forgot to mention, similar to the other quiet, exploratory real-place games noted above).

Oooooooohh... a long trip to Australia, then a shorter jaunt to Austin, Texas. More 'vacation' destinations to look forward to!

A NEAT added bonus to "Sydney" is something called Adventure Game Engine (included free on the disk)... I think it gives some how-to's and maybe some simple tools for starting out in game creation.

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/04/08 01:46 AM

Congrats Carrie! grin

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/05/08 04:13 PM

Carrie, congrats!

As for the MDNA games, finished Remedy. It was a great intro to Carol Reed! I am so impressed by MDNA. I hope they have plans to come out with a 5th game.

Now I have to start Hope Springs Eternal. smile
Posted By: Jenny

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/06/08 02:11 AM

Another of those old "wandering alone in a real place" games is SPQR, where you get to roam around ancient Rome. It's really strange, with no people around, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game. (All but one puzzle that is, one where you build an arch--Syd and I were playing together and we almost tore every hair off our collective heads on that one! eek)

As for Carol Reed, I have all of the games and really love them. Only one complaint--I would love to be able to roam around and see more of the different places the game takes you to...

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/12/08 03:17 AM

SPQR, I'll have to look for that one!

Just finished Hope Springs Eternal and found an easter egg. The jumping jack guy in her apartment. After you put him back up, if you keep pulling the string, he'll fall off and again Carol will leave him on the floor. smile

Only one more to play now (Time Stand Still). Perhaps one day I'll get to visit Norrköping!
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/12/08 03:49 AM

It's a gorgeous place! We drove through there in the Fall of 2006, just to see where some of the photos had been taken. Truly awesome. If you get a chance, DO go there! bravo
Posted By: JennyP

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/12/08 11:27 AM

I love the sexy gardener ....
Posted By: msblue

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/12/08 04:16 PM

SPQR I have that and played it some years ago. I really enjoyed the graphics....if you're interested let me know

Posted By: LindaMarion

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/12/08 04:47 PM

ooooh that gardiner he is as well in eastside story.
Have you done a tour in anacapri.what a game and what an island that game is nearst i will get to that beatifull island of dreams.

Re: Carol Reed series - 03/14/08 01:46 AM

Well I finished Time Stand Still tonight. *SIGH*... I hope MDNA comes out with a new game soon-ish! smile

I have Anacapri and will be starting that this weekend. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community