GB HOMEPAGE

Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno

Posted By: Becky

Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:45 AM

For those who love a game with a good story, gather 'round. Inferno analyzes a tantalizing tale that weaves six plot threads expertly together -- unwinding from the present to the past. What is the secret of these six grey days in November in New York City?

Overclocked
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 03:03 AM

Thanks Becky and Inferno.

I did not care for the gameplay and PDA one bit but it is nice to read a different view.

Ana wave

Posted By: Mad

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 04:16 AM

Hi smile

I just got word that my copy of Overclocked is on its way so I was very interested to read your review, Inferno thumbsup

And thank YOU for the link, Becky grin

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: TLC

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 05:54 AM

Nice review, Inferno! thumbsup I just started the game and only on day 2 but am enjoying it so far. smile Ana, what did you not like about the PDA and gameplay? think wave
Posted By: nickie

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 06:08 AM

Nicely done, Inferno! I enjoyed the game.
Posted By: JennyP

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 09:36 AM

Mine is in the post ! Thanks, Inferno

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TLC
Nice review, Inferno! thumbsup I just started the game and only on day 2 but am enjoying it so far. smile Ana, what did you not like about the PDA and gameplay? think wave

I found it to be redundant and I was bored to tears. The game to me was more like an interactive movie than a game. It was driven by cutscenes that required no imagination to get through other than simple inventory maneuver's. I honestly did not care for the way the game "played" at all. I am not critiquing the story just the way you had to move it along.

Ana wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:34 PM

Nice review, Inferno.
Interesting to get a different point of view, Ana.
Did you like their previous game, Moment of Silence?

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:38 PM

I loved Moment of Silence Jenny...I thought it was an absolutely splendid game. This is no comparison at all.

Ana wave
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
The game to me was more like an interactive movie than a game.
Ana wave

For me that was what I enjoyed about it. It allowed me to really get into the story. I must have been in the mood for this type of entertainment to allow for the introspection the main story offered to wash over me. But this is what makes our gaming community go 'round and round. Some will like it, some will not and all opinions are equaly valid.

I would have given it a highr grade had it not been for the technical pitfalls.

inferno
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:52 PM

I just loaded the game-- I am looking forward to playing it-- LOL-- I thought it had the look of Moment of Silence-
BTW- when loading the game- I thought their was a problem-- it took so long-- I actually got down on my knees and listened to the computer-- to make sure the DVD was spinning and working-
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 02:52 PM

Nice review Inferno, Thank You

I do have to say I was disappointed after playing it for awhile..

Just too many flashbacks...The PDA was a pain...For me I just couldn't find a sense of direction..The characters were interesting...

Oh Well
Posted By: gaily

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 03:01 PM

Hmmmm I guess I'll have a peek at Inferno's review and see if it piqued her interest. blush
Posted By: Chief

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 03:05 PM

Thanks for the review Inferno. thumbsup Not far in the game, Flashback seven, but enjoying it. grin

The B+ grade is good.

Chief wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 03:33 PM

Thanks for the review, inferno. smile

My view is along the same lines as Ana's. I'm trying so hard to enjoy this game, but it just isn't grabbing me. I absolutely do not like how the PDA must be used within the game, it is frustrating and tedious. I'm persevering, but it's a struggle.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 04:09 PM

lol Gaily, you're the greatest! Knowing you is a peak experience. laugh

The thing that intrigues me most about Overclocked is the idea of plot puzzles. I think I enjoy those more than almost any other kind.
Posted By: Phoebe

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 05:36 PM

Thanks for the review Inferno..once again a great review praise

Love Maria hearts

Posted By: Belgar

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 06:14 PM

Loved Overclocked, especially the ever present ideas explored in the game.
The let down compared to Moment of Silence was the ease of the game. Quasi no solving, puzzles were too easy and the only little issue was matching the recording to the right cell#.
It too often played like a movie where you would click from one scene to the other.
Deep interesting story, delving in secrets that can be lined to today's events.
An ending that leaves questions unanswered, mayeb for Overclocked 2?
Posted By: gaily

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/02/08 07:59 PM

Ah Becky, praise praise I bow to your superior wordsmithing, or should I say homonyming (....hee) Thanks for playing. grin

Thanks to you, also, Inferno for you review which I agree with. I enjoyed the story because I found the plot intriguing and I didn't mind the PDA. As Nickie has said, I felt that the clues from each patient mostly led me to where I needed to go next. I kind of like the "interactive movie" feel of the game too, for a change.
Posted By: boshettee

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/06/08 10:47 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Ana and Belgar. Although I only played the newly released demo, the demo flowed like a movie where all I had to do was click for the next scene.
Are there any "puzzles" to solve in the actual game or is it all given to you "step-by-step"?

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/06/08 11:03 PM

Not really boshette...it's very basic especially for someone who has played any adventure games. The only trick is clicking on the correct PDA recordings to trigger the next cutscene.

Ana wave
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/07/08 12:15 AM

That's correct -- there is a few number sequence puzzles - some inventory puzzles -- but the main puzzles are the time sequence match puzzles involving the PDA

inferno
Posted By: sali

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/07/08 05:08 PM

Inferno I just ordered the game after reading your review. You said in it that you had to wait between screen shots quite a long time for 2 chapters and then you moved the resource.200 file into the game folder. When I'll receive the game, I would like to do the same thing. Could you tell me where I'll find that file and when I do can I just "slide it" into the game folder? Thanks. Sali
Posted By: Amerzone

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/07/08 09:06 PM

Make an image of your DVD #2 and mount it to a virtual drive. This way the game flows only from the hard disc. You can use UltraISO to create and mount the image.
Posted By: sali

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/07/08 09:34 PM

Thanks Amerzone for your answer.It looks a bit complicated but I know somebody who will understand what you're saying. Sali

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/07/08 09:41 PM

If you need assistance with the technical aspect of running the game, please post in Glitches where they can better assist you.

Ana thanks
Posted By: Teddo

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/13/08 02:42 AM

I'm really enjoying this game. I love the psychological aspect of it. I'm only about halfway through it, so I have no idea of how it ends. I wish more games had psychological twists instead of endless puzzles which many times have no logical connection to the game. My kind of game!!! This one is holding my interest.

Teddo
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/13/08 06:32 PM

Re: Amerzone's post above: Image programs are the only way to go with AGs that don't provide a full install. While I've been using them for years, the relatively recent massive increased size of hard disks make the use of image programs even more useful.

Essentially, what you do is first install the imaging program to your computer. The all-in-one programs (including my favorite: Virtual CD) will then allow you to create an 'image' of a CD or Dvd (which is nothing more than a massive data file) which can be 'inserted' into a virtual cd/dvd drive (that the program creates) or one of the actual physical drives (or at least that's the way the computer sees it). Essentially, the computer thinks it is seeing a regular cd/dvd in a regular cd/dvd drive, but really you are running only files on your hard disk.

These programs have been unfairly labelled as attempts to flout copy protection, but there is no indication that they have facilitated pirating at all. In my mind, all they do is allow me to play AGs entirely from the hard disk- no more switching out cds/dvds and no more cd/dvd drive lag!
Posted By: Teddo

Re: Overclocked -- A Review by Inferno - 05/19/08 10:38 PM

I think I spoke too soon on my previous post. Yes, I enjoy the psychological twist, but I, too, got annoyed with waiting for a blank screen to allow me to move on. I don't understand computer technicalities, but I haven't encountered this on other games and I've played many. Teddo
© 2024 GameBoomers Community