GB HOMEPAGE

Downloading games from the Internet

Posted By: opcvop

Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 07:53 AM

Hi everybody

Dowsnloading adventure games from the Internet is now a possibility, so much easier than ordering disks from your local shop or waiting several days for them to arrive via mail. I think a lot of players would agree with me, but where do you get the best deal, when you buy and download a new game ?
I know only Gamersgate, Gamesplanet and The adventure shop, but there must be several more to choose from ?
Maybe there even is a site, where you can compare prices for downloading adventure games. If so, I would certainly like to know about them.

opcvop
Posted By: Frances

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 09:07 AM

Big Fish Games have some good deals, and a wide variety of games including adventure games. Look for what they call "large file adventures", several Nancy Drews, Safecracker 2006, East Side to name a few. Price range from $19.99 for one off down to $6.99 per game if you commit to 12 in 12 months. You only pay when you download. Lots of the games (not large file AGs) can be downloaded and played free for 1 hour trial period.
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 11:08 AM

... and your BFG credits never expire. Important since members are charged every 4 weeks.

I see they now have the next to last Nancy Drew! Wow BFG, quite up-to-date. They also have Ghost in the Sheet.

If they sell more large adventures they will most likely also try to carry more of them.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 12:39 PM

Steam has adventures that you can download and so does Manifesto Games and GameTap and Gamestop (for GameTap you must always stay connected to the service while playing the games). Some of the adventure developers and publishers also make games available via download, including Kheops, Frogwares, Microids, Got Game, Telltale and Ubisoft. I'm sure there are others that we haven't named yet in this thread.

I don't know of a site that compares prices for downloads, though. When comparing costs, you may want to stay aware of exchange rates -- US Dollars versus Euros, for instance.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 02:32 PM

I've thought about getting Ghost in the Sheet from Big Fish. Could it be burnt to a disc and traded?

I have a bunch of hidden object games from Big Fish, all but one are in hour demo mode.

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 02:40 PM

Hi Guybrush -- as far as I know, a download burned to a disk cannot be traded.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 02:43 PM

No games off any casual game site may be traded. The key you get to unlock the game, is for you to unlock only. It is not transferable.

Ana wave
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 02:59 PM

That's what I thought.
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 03:09 PM

I down loaded Auroa and I had a problom from the start of the game ,I must admit they did try to help and when I could nt get it to work they refunded the money right away .The company was gamergate .
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 06:24 PM

I have always wondered about this. I am a collector (Very small time) of certain types of games. If I download a game (legally; pay for it etc.) is it mechanically possible to burn it to a disk and save it strictly for my own use. Not only do I wonder if it can be done, but are there legal or moral implications to taking this step?
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 06:48 PM

From the way I understand it you are entitled to make a back-up copy for your own use.

The problem with this, is that in many cases you would still need to connect with the original site you downloaded it from to be able to reinstall it at a later date. Therefore, as a collector, the lifespan of your game is only as long as the lifespan of the site you got it from. For me it's a major reason for sticking to disc versions only! smile

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/28/08 07:01 PM

The Haze -- what chrissie said is correct, as far as I've been able to figure out by reading a bit about this issue.
Posted By: opcvop

Re: Downloading games from the Internet - 05/29/08 07:02 AM

Thanks Betty, now I have some more sites to choose from, when I want to download a game. We are still waiting for The
Adventure Company to offer this service, though. I guess that is just a matter of time.
And yes, you can save quite a lot of money right now, when the dollar is so weak compared to the euro. Although in my (so far limited) experience, some sites add various extras, tax or VAT or whatever they call it. So the price they offer, are not always the one you end up actually paying.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community