GB HOMEPAGE

What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ?

Posted By: Darleen03

What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:06 AM

Hey, Game Boomers

I like to know what games have made you scared out of your wits scared

For me it was: Last Half of Darkness...Spirits EyE & Mystery of the Druids

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply devilchili
Posted By: Mad

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:11 AM

Hi smile

In modern games Scratches was the one that had me feeling decidedly "unsettled" and in old games it was Phantasmagoria ....

scared scared

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:18 AM

Siren (a PS2 game).
Posted By: zookeeper

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:21 AM

Darkness Within. That first scene in the well was seriously scary. I felt like I was really there trying to get away from that thing.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 07:31 AM

The Delaware St John games, whenever the Hunter woke up. scared
Scratches
Darkness Within
Posted By: Benedict

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 08:49 AM

Phantasmagoria and phantasmagoria 2. Silent Hill 3 and 4.

But these are really sick games.
Posted By: JennyP

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 09:31 AM

Scratches.
Barrow Hill
Shivers ( a very old Sierra game, if they would like to release it for Vista I would re buy )
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 10:10 AM

Darkness Within .I can honestly say that game got to me eek
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 11:00 AM

Darkness Within as well. The first time I went down the basement. Think it was the music. Had company in my trousers lol as my late husband used to say.
Posted By: colpet

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 11:34 AM

Dark Fall 1.
I played it when it was first available only from Jonathan (the silver disc). Right away, I was creeped out. I could only play it in little bits. Particulary scary moments:
- being inside the rooms and hearing someone knock on the door
- the phone ringing, but knowing you were cut off
- the basement part of the garage, just having that little spot of light to look around. I was terrified something would jump out at me.
Though there may have been earlier spooky games (eg. Shivers ), Dark Fall seemed more innovative, and many of it's devices have now been reused in other 'spooky' games that I've played.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 11:38 AM

Last Half of Darkness: Beyond The Spirits Eye
Last Half of Darkness: Shadows Of The Servants
Barrow Hill

Ana wave
Posted By: Shany

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 11:44 AM

The White Chamber. It's a freeware game. It's really unsettling. I couldn't even get very far in it - I had to quit.
Even the soundtrack is creepy.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 12:35 PM

Twice while playing Last Half of Darkness: Shadows Of The Servants I almost jumped out of my chair.
Posted By: nickie

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 12:58 PM

Sam and Max. That bunny creeps me out.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 01:07 PM

Nickie! rotfl

Ana wave
Posted By: Volkana

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 02:04 PM

I'll say Darkness Within and Lost Crown... Mostly Darkness Within. At least i managed to play Lost Crown to the middle. In Darkness Within i'm still at the beginning lol

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 02:26 PM

There's also Aliens Vs Predator Gold and Aliens Vs Predators II (first person shooters). The Aliens like to hide in very dark corners and they jump out at you. Very scary.
Posted By: marie

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 02:31 PM

The scarest was probably Darkness Within and also the two Penumbra ones Overture and Black Plague, Ewh really creepy. scared

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: nickie
Sam and Max. That bunny creeps me out.

nickie rotfl

WoW Boomers !!!!Seems like Darkness Within is a winner...
I also forgot to mention Sanitarium eek That game really creeped me out...
Posted By: Mary

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:03 PM

Last Half of Darkness-first one, Scratches, and Shivers 1. Last Half had me jumping even when I KNEW what was going to happen! eek lol

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:15 PM

Got to admit Beyond the Spiritest Eye .
Click to reveal..
On that landing in that house every time you got to a certain spot that skeleton jumped out at you .
Even when I knew it was going to happen I still jumped .It may have been the first one not to sure lol
Posted By: Sassafras

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 03:57 PM

both Shivers games were scary - the music in the caverns alone in #2 creeped me out. But now I am almost done with Penumbra Black Plague and all I can say is YIKES !!!
Posted By: Gnabgib

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 06:01 PM

Scratches and Penumbra were creepy for me. It was all in the sound effects, not jump out in your face monsters that did it.

Originally Posted By: JennyP
Scratches.
Barrow Hill
Shivers ( a very old Sierra game, if they would like to release it for Vista I would re buy )

Off topic but Shivers works for me on Vista. It just plays in a small window not fullscreen.
Posted By: Sally(MG)

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 07:47 PM

Both Scratches and Dark Fall: The Journal made it into the "can't finish it too creepy" list. Sanitarium was actually more disturbing than creepy. For the PS2 there's Resident Evil 4 and this little known game called Fatal Frame.

I'm easily creeped out. scared

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 07:47 PM

Sorry Thanks for putting the spoiler in wave
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 08:29 PM

Clock Tower for the playstation was the game that really creeped me out. I can normaly handle these types of games, but that one gave me the heebee jeebee's. When scissor hands came looking, you better be hiding.

Cathy eek
Posted By: tinagoss

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 08:55 PM

Definitely Last Half of Darkness.
Posted By: SuMac

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/03/08 09:23 PM

The first game that spooked me out was the old game Amber. When I got caught in the underwater maze and couldn't find my way out, I got so panicky that I started the game over, just to get back on dry land.

Then I found a WT (this was before I discovered GameBoomers) and I was able to get through the whole game.
Posted By: Phoebe

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 02:17 AM

Hey Boomies wave

For me it is:

Darkness Within
Scracthes
Barrow Hill
Dark Fall: The Journal

Love Maria hearts
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 03:09 AM

Without a doubt, Penumbra: Black Plague--Had to play it in the daylight with the tv on and in short increments, and then still dreamed about it eek
Posted By: Dunn Tawkin

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 03:31 AM

Silent Hill 2
Darkfall 1
Fatal Frame 2
Barrow Hill
Lost Crown

All good games, scary and creepy in their own way.

Dunn Tawkin

Posted By: lucinda

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 03:32 AM

Silent Hill 3, both Penumbra's
Posted By: Taurnil

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 06:01 AM

Scrathes and Darkness Within. Scary, spooky, really scary....

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 08:25 AM

Do you know that Silent Hill 3 has really great songs? They used some of the music from this game in the Silent Hill movie. Incidentally the movie has a really sick ending that is different from the game and events that are reminiscent and captures the essence of the game but different from the game.
Posted By: Carrie

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 05:19 PM

Hi Darleen... Your question works out perfectly as a guide for what to play (if we really like the wits scared out of us), or or what not to play (if we're easily spooked)! Brilliant!

BTW, for me, the first one was Phantasmagoria, & more recently, Delaware St. John... I'd call these SERIOUS, heebie-jeebie scares, probably due to the fear that someone --seen or unseen-- was chasing me (don't like being chased... eeeek!!).
Posted By: irishgirl1228

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
The Delaware St John games, whenever the Hunter woke up. scared
Scratches
Darkness Within

Oh definitely the same for me! My heart would race and my hands would shake!

Darkness Within also freaked me out whenever I would hear the knock on the door. I was afraid to answer it!

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/04/08 09:17 PM

Hi, Carrie

I never played Phantasmagoria...I am going to check that one out..Everybody says its a good one...

Thanks

I also want to Thank everyone for their imput on creeped out games... thanks kissy
Posted By: oldman

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/05/08 10:32 AM

I'm currently playing Darkness Within and it's pretty creepy so far and I'm liking it. As far as scary, I don't really get scared playing games or watching movies etc but I'd have to say the one that came the closest for me was Phantasmagoria. Pretty intense.
Posted By: +Oblivion+

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/05/08 12:15 PM

Darkness Within, Lost Crown, and scartches really did it for me, all of them were equally scary at certain points.
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/05/08 01:59 PM

Sanitarium wasn't so much scary,but it did
creep me out.[the deformed kids] and the bee hive.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/05/08 11:53 PM

Ron, I was creeped out by the kids too. wave
Posted By: Celtic Lark

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 05:29 AM

Fun topic! My scariest were already mentioned but I'll give them more votes...

1. Dark Fall: The Journal - I had to stop about halfway through and went back to it 6 months later to finish.
2. Scratches - after the above toughened me up a bit
3. Delaware St. John series - that Hunter... scared
Posted By: Iva

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 04:16 PM

Oh, I'll agree with Shany about The White Chamber,

and I would add The Lost Crown, I don't know why, but the whole atmosphere is so creepy...
Posted By: Slartibartfast

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 05:27 PM

I'm surprised none of the Thief games have been mentioned. The Cradle level in part 3 was pants-wettingly scary!
Posted By: auntiegram

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 09:37 PM

I must say.... LHOD both of them and can't wait for the next one! :LOL: Also Scratches when I had to go to the basement and in the furnace. And Barrow Hill, oh those walking rocks :LOL:

Nan
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 10:14 PM

for me it is a older game 1998 I would love to play again but now I have vista 32, waiting for someone to tell me if it will work on Vista or Win XP. For me the number 1 spooky game is

BLACKSTONE CHRONICLES

In case you haven't play it, you take a creepy walk through a haunted Asylum where monstrous things were done to the mentally ill. Supposingly this place existed and some of the things took place. Talking to the various ghosts and solving their problems brought tears to my eyes looking at the different rooms where various forms of torture were used to experiment on the mentally ill. If anyone else has played this and felt the same way, would love to hear your comments. If you haven't played it and want a really scary game that also pulls at your heart strings, great voices, I suggest you try and find this oldie but goodie game. You can read the review below.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Blackstone/Blackstone_Review.shtm

AMBERS JOURNEY is another old game that was spooky as you walk through the haunted house and solve the ghosts problems.

The computers were slower back in 1998 but I still don't think many games can rival the older games.

GABRIEL KNIGHT SERIES had some great thrills also.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 10:30 PM

Blackstone Chronicles plays just fine on my XP, no tweaks needed. smile It's a great game. The father's voice is filled with such malevolence, truly chilling. The timed sequence inside the steam tub was a bit of a heart-thumper.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/07/08 10:58 PM

Thanks Rushes, I have a laptop with WinXP going to try and find out where I can buy it now online.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 12:41 AM

Hi, Rushes

I could never get Blackstone Chronicles to play on XP..

But that is off subject ...

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 12:46 AM

Played fine for me on XP.

Ana :wave;

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 12:56 AM

I could never get it to run..Even followed Infernos Help
Here duh
Posted By: gamenut

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 01:07 AM

Loath Nolder..Darkness Within... Oh sooo Creepy (once you got away from the office!). Great sound effects.....only thing i didn't like was the 'ending' cause it is the 1st of 3 of the series..sort of left you hangin... I sure hope they finish the series..maybe release the episodes quicker...'cause much as i liked it i am going to wait until AFTER #2 and get 2 and 3 after 3 is out!...Also enjoyed the DarkFall games...Scratches..In the Spirit's Eye(those games in that series just keep getting better and better!!!).
Posted By: Renee

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 01:34 AM

Definitley "The Blackstone Chronicles" (I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier!) scared - talk about scary!! I still have the game sitting in my closet....unfortunately it won't run on my "modern" PC - someday I'll find a way to replay it! wink

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 09:28 AM

Good to see I am not the only one that thinks BlackStone Chronicles is a great game. OH I hope someone reads this that is a game programmer and makes a sequel to BLACKSTONE CHRONICLES. With the high tech graphics of today, can't even imagine how great that would be.

Never read John Sauls books, more of a game player than a reader of books. But I know they must really keep you on the edge of your seat.
Posted By: Tsavorite

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/08/08 09:40 AM

I loved Blackstone Chronicles! It was kinda scary. I thought the father looked like Ulysses S. Grant. smile I thought it was expertly created and now that I have seen who the author is that wrote about it, I'm going to get it. Unfortunately I can no longer get it to run on my XP and even 98 is giving me a problem. frown oh well.

Jen
Posted By: joanieS

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 12:35 PM

Phantasmagoria. I could't even play the end of it and gave it to a friend who still has it.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 12:35 PM

Another Blackstone fan here! The father did it for me too!
You can feel he once was a loving man gone bad (or mad!!)
that is the creepy thing about it. scared
He still has good advice to give, from his point of view! devil
Further I love Darkfall one, scratches, and sanitarium was great too. I also hope that Blackstone will be re-issued.
The voice-actor playing the father should be
employed for new game productions of this calibre. yes monky
How can any designer miss out such a voice? cry shame

flying dutchman 42
Posted By: penruthen

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 04:17 PM

Definitely Loath Nolder.. at one point I got so spooked I scarpered out of the cabin and couldn't bring myself to play the game again for over two weeks! When I returned it was to discover that I had to revisit the location to collect an item and my knees were shaking just to go inside. I don't think any game has got to me that much since Dark Side of the Moon, which wasn't creepy but did get me totally immersed in the characters and story.
Posted By: Celtic Lark

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 06:44 PM

Hmmm.... now I want to play Blackstone Chronicles. But it sounds like most people have had problems with it on XP.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 07:47 PM

Blackstone chronicles:
Click to reveal..
The bloody gory torture rooms of the asylum, with the descriptions of the instruments and what took place to the poor victims is what scared me the most. So greatly I wasn't alive back then, they appeared to lock people in asylums for any reason. Yes, the father was so scary and the different ways we would die if we did not solve the puzzle at the end.

There was a little girl ghost that lost her doll if memory serves me correct, and we had to find it. Since this is so many years ago since I played the game, and I barely remember yesterday, is there such a scene in the game?

Celtic Lark some people have been able to get it to play. Ana what graphic card do you have if I may ask? You said you had no problem playing it on winxp is why I am asking. Did you do anything special? I want to buy it sooo much.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 07:55 PM

Sheryah, I'll have to see if i can find out. It's my spare computer now. I'll let you know when I get home from work.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 08:27 PM

I tried to play it on my NVIDIA GeForce 8600Gt card it would not play...It would load,but upon starting the game it would crash..

I wanted to play it so bad also cry

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 09:47 PM

Hi Darleen

Strange that you had problems running the game with your video card. Before I changed my video card to 9600GT on Sunday I had the same card (manufactured by a company called Leadtek) but the game ran beautifully at maximum resolution of 1280x1024 and with all the details and other graphics options maxed out. Have you tried setting anti aliasing to max?

On the other hand 8600GT gave me issues with several other games such as Evil Under the Sun, Phaoraoh's Mystery, Enter the Matrix and Tomb Raider Legend.

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/09/08 11:19 PM

Hi, Benedict

I did try everything....I got so disgusted...I just traded it off..On my old computer I had a Radeon card...I could never play Sanitarium on that card...But got it to play on my new computer ..With the Nvidia card duh

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 06:26 AM

Darleen

From what I have just learned, video cards have a lifespan of about 2 years. My 9600 has a 2-year warranty. In fact my 8600 card died after 1 year and 2 months because I am such a heavy gamer and computer addict. If you throw away games that don't work now, within 2 years after you change your card you are going to go through the trouble to buy it back. Why don't you hold on to these games that don't work for the time being?
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 02:41 PM

I have played Blackstone on no less then five computers
with XP and it went right in.
I lent this game to about four others that had XP
and it played fine.Just my dealing with this game.
And Amber will not play on XP...Ron........
Posted By: escakacs

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 03:24 PM

After I read the description of the rocks in Barrow Hill as wandering french toast sticks, the only thing I got was hungry. eek

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 03:43 PM

Wow Ron, do you know if Blackstone Chronicles will play on a Vista 32 quad core nivida GT 8800 video card? without special tweaks? Does anyone know where I can buy it? Thanks in advance

Sherryah

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 03:48 PM

Can someone here start a thread in Glitches for Blackstone on running it and we can go back to topic please?

Sherryah, it is currently being traded on the Trading Post.

Ana wave

Re: What was the Scariest, Spooky, Creeped Out Game For You ? - 07/10/08 04:09 PM

Thanks, Ana

It is getting a little off topic...

Hi Guys

I have been researching Phantasmagoria....I think this game is very spooky...I can't believe I missed this one.. eek
© 2024 GameBoomers Community