GB HOMEPAGE

The Dig

Posted By: colpet

The Dig - 08/15/08 11:38 AM

I finished The Dig. It was very entertaining. The puzzles were logical, and even though there was some backtracking, the rest of the game made up for it. I also appreciated the inventory items changing color when you had found out all you could. It cut down on the repetitons.I thought the voice acting was good, and the characters believable, but the best thing was the detailed, colorful background elements. I know there was music, but it was so unobtrusive that I can't specifically remeber it being there. I suppose that's a good thing.
I did find it funny, coming off Rhem 2 that I caught myself noticing everything (especially the colors and shapes in the landscape) thinking they may be important. After trying to draw each area, I realised that the bright colors and geometrical shapes were part of the alien atmosphere, not clues to a puzzle.
All in all, a well balanced game. I'm glad to have experienced it.
I played this on my Win95, but apparently it works well with ScummV on newer computers.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 11:50 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Colpet. Was this your first time playing it?

Ana wave
Posted By: joanieS

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 11:52 AM

One of my all=time favorite games. Glad to read that people are still experiencing it for the first time.
Posted By: colpet

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Glad you enjoyed it Colpet. Was this your first time playing it?

Ana wave

Yes, so that makes it extra special.
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 02:46 PM

Hi smile

I really like The Dig - and have played it several times over the years thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Phoebe

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 05:43 PM

Hey Colpet wave is a wonderful game, was one of the first adventures that i played.

Love Maria hearts
Posted By: seagul

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 07:14 PM

The Dig is a exceptional game. I love the story, the characters, everything. I replay it every few years.
Must be a great experience to play it for the first time!
Posted By: penruthen

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 07:21 PM

The Dig is the one game I have played over and over, more often even than Monkey Island or Riven. Last time I played it ran fine on my Vista Home Premium set-up on the laptop. Shame not all game developers can build that sort of longevity into their offerings...

BTW do you kow the story is available as a novel by Alan Dean Foster? It takes a bit of finding now, and was probably commissioned when the game was (originally) going to be a film. Have to admit I have a copy but haven't found time to read it yet!

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 08:47 PM

You should read it! There are some interesting details you can discover! - And afterwards, knowing them, you have to replay the game. thumbsup
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 09:03 PM

Does it have characters to interact with? Is it hard to find a copy?
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 09:12 PM

Is the Dig XP playable?

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 09:15 PM

I played it with Dos-Box.

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 09:52 PM

I've never been able to get that to work......

Re: The Dig - 08/15/08 10:24 PM

Actually just DLed the demo and it seems to work fine in Win95 compatibility ..........
Posted By: tol

Re: The Dig - 08/16/08 08:54 AM

I never could decide whether I like Dig more then Full Throttle but these two are far the best adventures for me I ever played. I just play them both at least twice a year yes

I think that puzzles in Dig are great, dialogues by O. S. Card (my favourite writer, I hope someone will make more games inspired by his books apart from Advent Rising) sharp and clever but what makes me play it over and over again is irresistible atmosphere of an alien world. Atmosphere which is created with fantastic backround art, amazing soundrack, design ideas and background animations combined and balanced in way most of other developers could and should learn.

In no other adventure game I found such a strong need to explore game world like in Dig. Although it is often underrated and doesnt get attention it deserves, for me this game is one of the best adventure genre can offer praise
Posted By: kjos

Re: The Dig - 08/24/08 12:27 AM

Just started playing Dig again. Been about 6 or 7 years since I played it last. Used the compatibility mode on win xp and set it to win 95. Played just perfect and the sound was excellent. I didn't know if it would play on xp or not now I know.
Richard
© 2024 GameBoomers Community