GB HOMEPAGE

Game moments

Posted By: Mordack

Game moments - 09/03/08 07:33 PM

I was just playing Outcry when I got to an area where I’ve been given schematics, values to turn, locks and logic puzzles. It’s filled with what at first appears to be utter confusion. When this happens in a games like Outcry (and Rhem), I’m filled with that little twinkle of excitement of what's before me. I don’t know if others know what I’m referring to but this is what I live for in adventure games. It’s at these times I like to take a break just to prolong the feeling. Odd???

Dennis
Posted By: MaG

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 08:06 PM

Not odd for me --- I can understand that feeling. You roll your sleeves, rub your hands and go for it. lol

I just wish I have time to savor those moments.
Keep those notes , Mordack! wink
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 08:27 PM

The words you wrote Mordack that you and MaG Rejoiced instead sent shivers up my spine with fear. eek

I really wanted to buy Outcry thinking it was an adventure based on inventory and conversation puzzles. I don't like logic puzzles more find the correct inventory item or ask the right question. Since your playing Outcry can you tell us is it more inventory, conversation puzzles, or logic puzzles? think
Posted By: Becky

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 08:34 PM

While you are twinkling, Mordack, my heart is sinking. lol Utter confusion?
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 08:49 PM

Hi Becky, wave You and me both Becky feeling the same so confused about this game. rolleyes
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mordack
I was just playing Outcry when I got to an area where I’ve been given schematics, values to turn, locks and logic puzzles. It’s filled with what at first appears to be utter confusion. When this happens in a games like Outcry (and Rhem), I’m filled with that little twinkle of excitement of what's before me.

Really? I'd been going to give Outcry a miss because the screenshots were so dingy looking and colorless. But if it's full of RHEM-style puzzles, I'll consider giving it a try.

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 11:22 PM

Just a brief overview of Outcry. First person view. The story is pieced together through diary clippings-next to nil in character interaction. I won’t say much about the story other than I’m very interested as to where it will go. It is obvious that the diary is written by a man who is driven to what he’s doing but the cause of his drive is yet not clear.
Each area is broken up by a series of puzzles that once solved leads to the next area. Inventory is minimal. I think I had a maximum 5 items at once and they were all part of a larger item when assembled. Most of the puzzles are solved through logic or information contained in the diary or diagrams. Some of the puzzles are very tricky (i.e. time shift to see or move an object). The game is certainly in the same style as Myst and Rhem but completely different in that it seems like the whole game is a hallucination played out in the mined.

As I said above, it's the confusion and the need to organize that I enjoy...the need to understand.

Happy gaming!

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 11:46 PM

Mordack -- intriguing. Have you played Morpheus? If so, is the game similar? Are there hallucinatory worlds to explore?
Posted By: nickie

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 11:48 PM

I think I'm going to prolong the feeling that I know what I'm doing and wait to play the game until Mordack and MaG have played it through. grin

Re: Game moments - 09/03/08 11:53 PM

I did play morpheus many, many years ago. This doesn't remind me of it. I can't say if this is good or bad for you. The 'area's' are certainly skewed from the norm.

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 12:14 AM

Is the game really dark? Or more surreal than dark?

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 09:38 AM

The game only appears dark when your reading the diary. You can imagine the writer was suffering from depression (just my take). The game itself is more surreal (like a fragmented mind) and not in anyway scary. I think in the end there will be a lot of player opinions as to what exactly is going on, like looking at art and seeing something someone else doesn't.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 10:22 AM

Sounds delicious!

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 10:39 AM

Doesn't it?
Posted By: macmac

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 11:37 AM

Thanks for the brief review Mordack. I certainly will order, based on your description. This thread reveals a definite "fault-line" in the Adventure genre; the division between inventory/conversation as opposed to logic/intuition. I cant stand inventory/conversation games, thus I think "Outcry" will be great for me. I wish there was a way to identify wether a game is primarily based on inventory, or logic puzzles. Maybe some sort of code letters like IC or LP on the box... just a thought..
Posted By: GBC

Re: Game moments - 09/04/08 01:35 PM

yay I just got the news that Dave shipped mine out yesterday so I should be getting it soon. Sounds like I'm going to like it. happydance

Posted By: Lotus777

Re: Game moments - 09/05/08 03:53 AM

Conversation and inventory are okay up to a point but the heart of a game for me is the solving of puzzles, picking up the clues to do so, etc. Yuo hae sold me on this game already. So I am on my way to Interact next. Thanks so much for the heads up. thumbsup
Lotus
Posted By: escakacs

Re: Game moments - 09/05/08 05:24 AM

Does anyone know anything about a walkthrough, MaG? I googled, but didn't find anything.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community