GB HOMEPAGE

Rember that puzzle from Overseer?

Posted By: HandsFree

Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 11:03 AM

In Overseer, Tex has to find the password to Greg's computer.
Click to reveal..
The password is hidden in a message, something with every third/fourth word.

I remember I liked that puzzle a lot. Does anyone still know the full text for that puzzle?
Posted By: MaG

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 11:25 AM

I checked the walkthrough for this:

Click to reveal..
"If you can figure this out my password follows. In the first letters good am most brain in the".

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 11:50 AM

Thanks MaG.

As part of the puzzle, you had to extract those words from a longer message. I'm looking for that complete text.
Any idea were to find that, apart from playing the game again?(don't think I can get it working anymore)
Posted By: MaG

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 11:55 AM

I best move you to Adventure Discussion forum.
Someone might remember. I will also keep a lookout.
===========

Check here Tex' office to see if there's anything that might relate to it.

There's a movie file at bottom of the page - it might be there.
------------

Here's a fan message board that might help you too.
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 02:32 PM

Wouldn't it be mahvelous for Tex (I loved those TM games) and Gabe to be able to play on my XP with 'compatibility mode'? Oh, I am so enjoying the first 2 Dracula games - finished Resurrection (it's short but such fun!) and am immersed in The Last Sanctuary now.....hoping Drac3 is as good!
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 02:59 PM

Hi, HandsFree!

I dug out the notes I made while playing "Overseer" and I have written down
Click to reveal..
"to figure out Greg Call's password, read STG note and then take the first letter of every 4th word in Greg's note to learn that his password is GAMBIT". I found the note inside the UPEX package (along with a Braille alphabet) retrieved from the Fresno office but, unfortunately, I didn't write down what the note said.

Susan
Posted By: Becky

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 03:05 PM

Hi Susie07 -- wow, you take such good notes. And you keep them where you can find them! praise

I stuck in a spoiler tag for people who haven't had the chance to play Overseer yet.

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Susie07
I dug out the notes I made while playing "Overseer"

Hi Susie07, that's impressive archiving smile
Unfortunately I'm looking exactly for that thing you didn't write down...

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 07:25 PM

Hi, Becky!

Aw shucks ... thanks. I was a Section Leader in the Adventures section of the old GAMERS forum on Compuserve during the '90s, and I always made notes while playing so I could help out the members who got stuck. Since I couldn't bear to part with my notes, I stuck them in a folder in my file cabinet, and that's where they still are laugh!

While we were playing GK1, Jane Jensen was a frequent poster in the forum, and while we were playing Shivers 1 and 2, Willie Eide (one of the game developers) was also a frequent poster, and he agreed to be a special guest at both a Shivers 1 and Shivers 2 conference that I hosted. He even gave Diane (who recently joined GAMEBOOMERS) a tour of the Sierra offices and she got a sneak peak of S2 before it was released.

These threads about "Overseer" and "GK3" have brought back such fond memories that I just might replay them, if I can get them to run under WinXP.

Susan
Posted By: Becky

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 09:01 PM

Hi Susue07 -- I've heard about that forum on Compuserve, though it was closed down before I ever got to post there. Thanks for keeping your notes!
Posted By: colpet

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/05/08 10:56 PM

I found my notes and unfortunately:
Click to reveal..
I only wrote down the particular words - good am most brain in the

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/06/08 01:46 AM

Hi, colpet!

I think we Canadians must be pack rats because we both have notes from games we played over a decade ago lol !

Susan

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/06/08 10:11 AM

Well, thanks for trying. I'll let you know if I ever find it. (maybe I get Overseer running after all, didn't try that yet).
Posted By: colpet

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/06/08 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Susie07
Hi, colpet!

I think we Canadians must be pack rats because we both have notes from games we played over a decade ago lol !

Susan

I have a full file drawer, not counting the notes I have stashed in the game boxes themselves (you remember those nice large boxes games used to come in smile ). I put so much time and detail into my notes, I can't bear to throw them away.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/06/08 02:09 PM

Note? You write notes while playing? I rarely do that and then it its on scrap paper that gets tossed (or shredded now) when I'm done.

Re: Rember that puzzle from Overseer? - 09/06/08 03:12 PM

Hi, colpet!

You've got me beat because I only have one measly file folder that contains my notes.

I sure do remember those nice large game boxes. In fact, I'm looking at them right now because, after paying $50, $60 or even $70 dollars for the "old and golden goodies", I can't bear to part with them, and I even replay them again from time to time.

Susan

Hi, GT!

I don't make as many notes now as I used to, but they come in handy if someone posts a request for help in the Hints forum and I can't remember the answer off the top of my head (can you say "brain burp"?). They also come in handy if I decide to replay a game and get stuck.

Back in the "text" adventure days, I drew pages and pages of maps, and I remember how excited I was when "Beyond Zork" was released and included a mapping feature. I'm sure one or two paper companies that I shopped at went bankrupt at that point lol !

Susan

© 2024 GameBoomers Community