GB HOMEPAGE

I've always wondered...

Posted By: alkis21

I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 09:53 PM

Do native English speakers play games with subtitles on or off?
Posted By: connie

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 09:56 PM

I play with them on. Sometimes I will miss part of what they are saying otherwise. Especialy if someone starts talking to me. wave
Posted By: LadyLinda

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 10:02 PM

I play with them on too. I don't want to miss anything and sometimes the music or a sound effect occurs which drowns out the conversation.
Posted By: Marian

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 10:10 PM

On. This way if someone walks up and starts talking to me, I don't miss anything that has been said in the game. And I just like the visual reinforcement of making sure that I have heard every word. smile
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 10:58 PM

If I have the option to have subtitles, I always prefer to have them on. Sometimes the sound on a game isn't perfect. I do this with my PS2 games also.
Cathy wave
Posted By: orchid girl

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 11:06 PM

I like to leave them on. I find I pay more attention to the written word than the spoken, and I can read them faster so I ignore the voice. smile
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/06/08 11:21 PM

Usually on.
Not always. If the voices are clear and the subtitles are blocking my view or distracting me I turn them off.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 12:11 AM

If the voices are clear and especially if there is a conversation folder where I can go into if I feel I have missed someword-- I leave them OFF. I get more into the game- i tend to read them if they are in front of me and this distracts me from looking and the feel of the game--looks like I am in the minority :<)
Posted By: Mary

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 12:37 AM

I keep them on, since sometimes there are background game noises that make the conversation hard to hear.
Posted By: misa

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 12:38 AM

I always put it on since I can read faster than I can listen. Also I keep the volume low on games since there's other stuff usually going on like the TV, etc.
Posted By: kiraalt

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 01:08 AM

I play with them on - always.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 01:09 AM

Hi, alkis21

I always keep it on...I do like to read the talk rather then listen to it...
On some games I have to go over everything twice...

Sub titles are cool & I hope the developers continue to use them. thumbsup
Posted By: Mad

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 03:21 AM

Definitely ON !! grin
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 03:33 AM

I also leave subtitles ON although sometimes the dialogue is different than the words written on the screen. It is just that my memory doesn't serve me as good as when I was a teenager. wave
Posted By: jasper

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 03:38 AM

I leave them on, and turn them on if they aren't on by default.

I read faster and better than I hear.

I don't have speakers attached to the PC, and don't like having to wear the headphones all the time.

I can listen to a book on tape while I'm playing a game. as I was just doing.

cheers,
jasper
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 04:08 AM

I am with Winfrey

They distract me from the audio & visual immersion I get from a game. I read books, I play games.

Just you and me now Winfrey...I got your back grin
Posted By: Albert

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 11:41 AM

I've played exactly one game that even had the option of sub titles. It didn't matter much to me, but I can see how it would be a God send to the audio impaired.

Albert
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 01:28 PM

On, in case of accents or background noises that make dialogue hard to understand.
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 03:07 PM

I'm with Mad, definitely on. With my "mature" hearing background sounds can often cancel out the voice clarity.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 03:49 PM

yes I always leave them on for several of the above noted reasons. However, another reason for using subtitles is that I often find myself playing at my computer long after my son, my grandchild or my wife has gone to sleep. Given the drop-off in hearing that has accompanied the arrival of my social security checks, I can play games without keeping the house awake if I use the subtitles.
Posted By: Becky

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 06:26 PM

On, and I frequently click through the dialogs.
Posted By: hatshepsut

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/07/08 08:11 PM

When I am playing late into the night or when I can't understand the dialog then I put the subtitles on.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/08/08 01:38 AM

I always play with them on and miss them when they are not available wave
Posted By: aretha

Re: I've always wondered... - 09/08/08 06:52 AM

Ok Winfrey and GreyFuss there's 3 of us now. I want subtitles off because I ccan't help but read them instead of 'getting into the scene'. Recent Nancy Drew games still give subtitles even when deselected. I love my foreign movies with subtitles but not on games.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community