GB HOMEPAGE

games for 12 year old?

Posted By: HandsFree

games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 09:07 AM

Hi,
I'm looking for an adventuregame that would interest my 12 year old daughter. She's just learning English, so games heavy with dialogue or reading will be too challenging for now (that's for next year smile ). A bit is OK of course, if it's subtitled in English.
On the other hand, games that don't have a lot of dialogue are mostly in the Myst-type category and that's probably not a good starting point.

It would be nicer if it had some kind of storyline that's interesting for her age group, meaning that it must most definitely not be a children's game. grin

And she will be using a laptop (onboard graphics crazy ) with Vista.

I know a lot of adventure games, but I can't think of one that conforms to all of the above.
Any ideas?
Posted By: Carla

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 09:26 AM

Hi Handsfree, I used to play with my daughter King's Quest, and the one she enjoyed most was King's Quest 7:The Perils of Rosella.
I think the recent King's Quest Collection is working on Vista too.
I speak italian with my daughter, and when she was younger her english wasn't so good, but she was able to understand the game.
Hope this helps! wave
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 11:38 AM

How about the Nancy DRew games? They are interesting and not too wordy.

Ana wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 12:23 PM

Also, you might consider Destination: Treasure Island, Hope Springs Eternal, Ankh: Reverse the Curse and Cleopatra: Riddle of the Tomb (also called Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny). They are all available from Interact CD (yellow link above) -- Interact ships internationally. There are reviews of all of them here at GameBoomers (as well as reviews of most of the Nancy Drew games).

I'm not sure how any of these run on Vista, though.
Posted By: HandsFree

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 01:01 PM

Carla, do you mean KQ4 (perils of Rosella) or KQ7 (princeless bride)?
I think KQ4 will be a bit too outdated with that text interface.
We must have KQ7 somewhere, but not the newer version. Her laptop is still on order, so when it arrives we can see if it works.
In the meantime I may show her some screenshots or reviews, see how she reacts. smile

I never played a Nancy Drew game. Is any of them particularly good to start with? (the choice is a bit overwhelming)

And I will have a look at the reviews as suggested. Treasure island sounds interesting, but I'll check the others also.

Thanks.
Posted By: Becky

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 01:35 PM

The Nancy Drew games can be played in any order. Phantom of Venice would be a good place to start, but I know other gamers will have other favorites to recommend to you. Phantom was released so recently that it shouldn't have any problem running on Vista.
Posted By: Carla

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/03/08 04:59 PM

Hi Handsfree,I meant King's Quest 7 The Princeless Bride.
We were just talking to replay it one of these days.
wave
Posted By: aln

Re: games for 12 year old? - 10/04/08 12:51 AM

I would definitely suggest Nancy Drew. My 15 year old cousin has loved them since she was 10 and I love them, too, and am 26. smile They got us both started on adventure games (though she still doesn't play any others). Great stories for any age and easy to start with. They're also subtitled. I'll try to think of some more suggestions, too.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community