GB HOMEPAGE

What would you consider the longest game you ever played?

Posted By: Darleen03

What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 12:52 AM

Hi, Boomers

This thread is for informational purposes as..I would like to know "What Game You Think Is The Longest You Ever Played"

For me it was the Longest Journey...

Thanks For Taking The Time To Reply.. happydance
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 01:02 AM

Either The Longest Journey or Culpa Innata. smile
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 01:13 AM

Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo was pretty long -- longer than The Longest Journey because it was more difficult.
Posted By: Ascovel

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 03:00 AM

Black Dahlia, Pandora Directive, or Discworld, I think.
Posted By: RayBres

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 06:50 AM

Of games of recent vintage, 80 Days was about the longest. The Pandora Directive, in its unhinted mode, was one of the longest of the older games, but I'd say that Lighthouse would be the all-time champion.
Posted By: HandsFree

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 12:14 PM

For me, it was the Feeble Files. But I didn't finish TLJ. sleep
Posted By: Ascovel

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 12:22 PM

And I didn't finish Feeble Files, although I liked it a lot. I couldn't get past the arcade games. frown
Posted By: Becky

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 01:46 PM

Uru: Complete Chronicles.
Posted By: GBC

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 02:45 PM

The Longest Journey.
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 03:56 PM

I think I would agree The Longest Journey or Black Dahlia is probably the longest ones I can remember of the PC games.

But, it seemed to me when I first started playing games, I played the original Zelda on Nintendo and when I finally got to the big boss and beat it pretty easily and was congratulating myself.....I found out that you had to play the whole quest over again in order to win. Oh my, that seemed sooooo long, but I still loved it and still think of it as one of my favorite games. Don't know if I could play it all again, reflexes aren't as fast! lol

Koalanut
Posted By: Bernard

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 04:08 PM

TLJ of course and let's not forget Jack Keane.

Posted By: Mad

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 05:37 PM

Hi smile

Just a thought .... But are we all measuring length in the same way ?? wink

Before walkthroughs were available I could spend weeks solving just one puzzle - which made some of those early games very long indeed lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

Posted By: Mary

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 06:21 PM

The first game that came to mind for me was Black Dahlia, but maybe that was because the puzzles were so darn hard! crazy
Posted By: gamenut

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:13 PM

For me Riven and Uru Ages of Myst Chronicles...those 2 took me the longest to play...and it was because sometimes it tooke me forever to figure out what needed to be done and sometimes because i just wanted to really take my time and savour the game (especially Riven--such a beautiful game and the music outstanding!).

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:18 PM

Ok....

Let me clarify..What I mean by a long game..

Long game for me is when "I look at a WT & it takes a long time to scroll to the end" grin

Hard puzzles or the lenght of time it takes to solve it doesn't count lol

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:22 PM

lol It's not the game, it's the length of the walkthrough? I hadn't thought of that!
Posted By: Volkana

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:28 PM

Definatelly the Longest journey... It was really the longest journey lol

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:46 PM

Dar, if I've read your post well, the length of the game is determined by the person who wrote the WT? smile

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 07:49 PM

Hi, Bernard

Well...You could put it like that...BUT if you go to MaG's WT on the Longest Journey...It takes a longggg time to scroll to the end.. yes

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 08:07 PM

Dear Dar,

so if a write an epical WT for a short game, explaining all the ins and outs, you would consider the game to be long? For me the longest games are the ones that don't interest me and seem to go on and on forever. If a game is interesting, it's always too short!

Posted By: Leeana

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 08:37 PM

Myst, Myst exile, myst-was forever- endlessly long ...involving but long...ok which is not bad ... zzzzzz but oh ok very continuous game.... smile wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 08:58 PM

Well, that's new one on me !!

Measuring the length of a game by the length of the walkthrough ??

insane

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 08:59 PM

how about both wave lol

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:12 PM

Well.
I think if a WT is only 4 paragraphs long..That to me is not a long game....

Long game for me is when you have to visit vast areas in a game or you have to do many things..

MaD ...Please don't go insane lol
Posted By: auntiegram

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:42 PM

Darleen, I have known some walkthroughs to be short but the ame takes quite some time to play sooooo is it a long game or a short game?????

To me the amount of time to play through a game should be what counts as a long game. Like URU the Complete Chronicles, that was a long game and a lot of places to go and things to do! Although the Longest Journey was also a long game for the same reasons!

Nan

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Darleen03
Ok....

Let me clarify..What I mean by a long game..

Long game for me is when "I look at a WT & it takes a long time to scroll to the end"

What if a game has two walkthroughs and one is 2 pages long and the other is 24 pages?
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:51 PM

I have to say it was The Longest Journey. Besides being long it is one of the best games I have ever played. happydance

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:54 PM

I think in that case you have to average the two extremes Jenny, it'll be a game of mediocre length, I guess. think

Posted By: chrissie

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 09:55 PM

You have to add the pages of the walkthroughs together & divide by two. That should give you the relative length of the game. grin

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it Bernard! lol

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 10:17 PM

eek oh my Im really totally confused .... I consider a game long when as Ive stated ((like Uru hardwall per say)) I just could not for the life of me Finish it!!! and that to me my dear meant The Longest game because I think no matter if the walkthrough is 2 pages or 24 pages if "You" cant get the puzzle or etc. Then the 2 pages becomes 22 and the 24 pages become 124 wave

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 10:23 PM

Oh.. Fiddle sticks lol

I guess everyone has their own perception of a long game think
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 10:23 PM

Longest games I have played are definitely some of the Myst games. I play like a maniac on most games, but I strolled through Myst because of the fantasy factor. I also took my time with the first half of Keepsake so I could appreciate the scenery.

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 10:35 PM

Dar I just wanted to say That I love your singing-Santa smile

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 10:42 PM

Thanks, Leeana

Your "Sweet" kissy
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/01/08 11:27 PM

Must be "Life". I started playing it quite a few years ago and still didn't finish it. On the other hand, it's quite addictive so I don't mind the too long gameplay time on this one. smile

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 02:09 AM

grin
Posted By: BobS

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 11:40 AM

I suppose the longest games are those that I have abandoned as too hard or boring or have so many bugs that I lost interest.

So I claim these are infinitely long.

A bit like when a late train is canceled it never completes its journey
Posted By: joanieS

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 12:05 PM

Myst. My first adventure game. My first anything computer game. No walkthroughs at that time. Took me 3 months. Probably the best adventure game ever for me because it was a totally new experience and I HAD to rely totally on my fumbling self.
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 12:16 PM

I was going to say Lighthouse but I think Becky might be right if you consider all installments of Uru Chronicles.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 08:59 PM

Rama took me forever.
The Scroll just seemed long lol
Posted By: Lagavulin

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 09:47 PM

think

At first I thought of a lot of the games mentioned and started thinking.

And then it struck me
oops of course

RHEM and since I'm playing RHEM 2 at the moment that one as well.

These are looong, logical, mindbraking and absolutely superb "logical puzzle games".

Cheers :winter:

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/02/08 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo was pretty long -- longer than The Longest Journey because it was more difficult.

Come to think of it, I think Culpa Innata was longer than both of them put together.

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/03/08 02:53 AM

I agree also, Jenny

That game Culpa Innata was vast in territory for me...Maybe thats why I enjoyed it so..
Posted By: Iva

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/03/08 05:36 PM

Oh, I know a very, very long walkthrough for a game yet to be created. grin

Anyone remembers the MCT + MCT II The Pandora pendulum threads?

It's about 27 GB pages long and not yet finished.

Wanna read it? start here

It is really good! praise
Posted By: gamenut

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/03/08 11:44 PM

Oh my gosh...for some reason had forgotten about Rhem(s) !!! Nice long game(s).!!
Posted By: MycroProcessor

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/07/08 12:42 PM

I consider each Uru expansion pack to be a different game, but if they were combined, I would certainly consider it the longest adventure game I've played.

Probably Riven though, in terms of how long it took to complete (rather than the actual length of the game because I don't see it as being exceptionally long), which was oddly around 2 years. I was also new to adventure gaming when I first played Riven though, so if I played it now, the time length would be reduced to around 1/24 of that length.

Rhem games would fall into the category for me of longest notebook, since all 3 so far have taken up more paper than any others. Very long games, but personally I completed them far more quickly than the other ones I mentioned.
Posted By: PMcOuntry

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/07/08 08:00 PM

Syberia I & II.
Posted By: Albert

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/11/08 06:41 AM

I think there are several angles to this question, such that I don't think there is a definitive answer.

The more important question is what is the longest game you Really enjoyed? I'd rate The Longest Journey tops here. Yeah, there was lots of conversation, but it was far more relevant to the game than say most of the stuff in the Myst games. Its entirely possible to invent puzzles that are nearly impossible to solve. I've run into lots of those too. I wrote a program to solve the God brick puzzle in Tex Murphy Pandora Directive. The story was compelling enough to make it worth while. Then there was another game with a circle wheel puzzle in an Aztec temple (I think) with marbles that took sixty something steps with a walk through to solve. I had no idea how to write a program to solve this in a reasonable amount of time. And this is fun? Then there are the time pressure puzzles that I truly detest. Try something and die, then try, try, try again. I can tolerate a few, if the story is good enough and it fits into the story well. Game developers would be well advised that most adventure gamers are not sadist/masochists and just want to have fun and enjoy the game. Many of the old school may have advanced math skills, but don't count on it if you want to sell to a broader crowd. Nobody can solve every problem heaved at society. Thats why I'd nominate MaG for a Nobel prize in game solving if one existed. Sometimes we ALL need help in something.

Which brings me to my nominee, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. For more modern games Syberia gets second prize. And Road to India gets my nod for a fun game for those just starting out. I think its on sale at Adventure Company now. Try it if you haven't played it.

Albert
Posted By: pamella

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/12/08 02:17 AM

When I was about 11 years old I got The Pawn by Magnetic Scrolls as a birthday present. I finished it two years later with the help of a walkthrough which I got from writing to a guy who did game reviews for a magazine for the Amstrad computer, and begging him to help me. If we didn't have walkthroughs a click away maybe adventure games would be more enjoyable. I am terrible for cheating.

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/12/08 02:26 AM

Hi, pamella

Its not cheating to need help....I can't tell you how many times I asked for help or looked at a walkthrough....

:happydance12:
Posted By: indy_monkey

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/12/08 11:08 AM

Hi all :bravo12:

My first game Feb. 92 was Monkey Island 2. As I was constantly stuck on many of the fine puzzles, I started MI 1 and both took until Dec to finish. Just in time for my all time fave... Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis :ThumbsUp12: Wow.. three paths in what was already a long game. :rolleyes12:

Lucasarts... Wish they could be tempted back to Adventures. think

Pete
Posted By: JennyP

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/12/08 11:15 AM

I started Animal Crossing in August & am still playing daily - its a wonderful game. As its winter there are snow & ice & Christmas trees in the game. In the summer you get a tan by going outside.
Posted By: Jalex

Re: What would you consider the longest game you ever played? - 12/12/08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Albert
I think there are several angles to this question, such that I don't think there is a definitive answer.

The more important question is what is the longest game you Really enjoyed? I'd rate The Longest Journey tops here. Yeah, there was lots of conversation, but it was far more relevant to the game than say most of the stuff in the Myst games. Its entirely possible to invent puzzles that are nearly impossible to solve. I've run into lots of those too. I wrote a program to solve the God brick puzzle in Tex Murphy Pandora Directive. The story was compelling enough to make it worth while. Then there was another game with a circle wheel puzzle in an Aztec temple (I think) with marbles that took sixty something steps with a walk through to solve. I had no idea how to write a program to solve this in a reasonable amount of time. And this is fun? Then there are the time pressure puzzles that I truly detest. Try something and die, then try, try, try again. I can tolerate a few, if the story is good enough and it fits into the story well. Game developers would be well advised that most adventure gamers are not sadist/masochists and just want to have fun and enjoy the game. Many of the old school may have advanced math skills, but don't count on it if you want to sell to a broader crowd. Nobody can solve every problem heaved at society. Thats why I'd nominate MaG for a Nobel prize in game solving if one existed. Sometimes we ALL need help in something.

Which brings me to my nominee, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. For more modern games Syberia gets second prize. And Road to India gets my nod for a fun game for those just starting out. I think its on sale at Adventure Company now. Try it if you haven't played it.

Albert

I would have to say The Longest Journey was the longest for me too. I like puzzles but I don't like being stuck for a long time when I am trying to consintrate on the story.
You made some very good points here. I like the puzzles in adventure games as well but my faverite has always been inventory bassed puzzles. I can figure out how to put things together to make something much quicker than other types. I hate puzzles where you have to run from screen to screen and move thing to put them together or timed puzzles. It's also nice to be rewared ehrn you get it right so you know it's done. I loved Pandora Directive because of the puzzle skip code it had. The story was so good I skipped the puzzles the first time through and then played it again doing all of them and not skipping any of them. I also remember that marble puzzle and I did that without a walkthroughand it took me about an hour. I think it was in Martin Mystere. There are also some hard ones in Nancy Drew White Wolf and they are random so a walkthrough won't help.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community