GB HOMEPAGE

The Path finally released!

Posted By: Carla

The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 12:48 PM

After two years of intense work, the small team of Tale of Tales releases its biggest project to date: a highly original artistic horror game, entitled The Path.
As of 18 March 2009, 9 pm PST, The Path is available as digital download for 9.99 US Dollars from Direct2Drive, Steam and Tale of Tales' own website.

Quote:
"The title refers to the path to grandmother's house in the story of Little Red Ridinghood that inspired our design," directors Auriea Harvey (US) & Michael Samyn (BE) explain, "the path that you're not supposed to stray from for fear of meeting the wolf. But it also has another meaning. While most videogame designs encourage you to achieve your goals quickly and efficiently, The Path allows you to focus entirely on what happens in between start and finish. Much like life, our game ends with death. But despite the gloomy and sometimes unsettling atmosphere, The Path contains a positive message: enjoy life to the fullest, no matter how short it may be!"

Six sisters live with their mother in a city apartment. One by one, they are sent to their grandmother's house on an errand. Alone on the path, the temptation to explore the dark forest is too hard to resist. There's plenty of fun to be had in the woods. And even a friend to meet. But every forest contains a wolf. And though he may appear to be friendly or harmless, or even attractive, there should be no doubt about his evil
intent. The question, however, is: wouldn't it be worth it? Even if it leads to a certain end, wouldn't the experience make up for that? Do we really have a choice?

The Path is a new type of game. It originates from the rapidly emerging field of independent game production. Ambitious independent creators are trying to do the same thing with videogames, as film makers of the Nouvelle Vague have done for cinema. They explore the artistic potential of the medium and establish a new, unique language to express things that could not be expressed before. In other words: to create a new
artistic medium for a new century.

The Path is not another action adventure filled with guns and violence. Instead, it is a calm and introverted computer game that finds itself a cozy place in the dark corners of your soul. The Path is designed with accessibility in mind. There are no ticking clocks or monsters to defeat. No hard puzzles will ever halt your progress. Most activities in the game are entirely optional and voluntary. The player has all the freedom in the world to explore and experience. The Path is a Slow Game.

For more information:
The Path story website: http://grandmothers-house.net
The Path trailer website: http://ThePath-game.com
The Path development journal: http://Tale-of-Tales.com/ThePath/blog

To purchase the game:
Tale of Tales company website: http://Tale-of-Tales.com
Direct2Drive, IGN Entertainment's digital download channel: http://Direct2Drive.com
Steam, Valve's digital distribution platform: http://store.steampowered.com
The Mac version of the game, courtesy of TransGaming, will be digitally distributed through the GameTree Network as of late April: http://www.gametreeonline.com

happydance

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 12:52 PM

Fantastic news Carla, I can't wait to try it.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 12:55 PM

Thanks, Carla. Sounds intriguing.
Posted By: Becky

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 01:08 PM

Thanks Carla! thumbsup
Posted By: Sly One

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 01:13 PM

Thanks Carla! thumbsup
Posted By: margaret

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 05:28 PM

I have downloaded the game and have installed it. now we have dinner, tonight I'll start playing the game.
if you buy the game, you get a serialnummer by email from the developers. you can pay via creditcard or paypal. I have used paypal as I don't own a creditcard. all works fine, download is a little slow. there's a game manual in the directory where you have installed the game.

Posted By: Rushes

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 05:31 PM

Thanks, Carla! This game sounds very interesting, I'm tempted smile
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 06:27 PM

This sounds like a strange game. I am going to wait to buy it until I hear how other GBS like it. The part that puzzles me is

"The Path allows you to focus entirely on what happens in between start and finish. Much like life, our game ends with death"

So correct me if I am wrong on this, but does this mean there is not way to win the game? lol

I ususal play games to win and not die.
Posted By: Leeana

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 06:55 PM

eek scary... Thanks Carla for the Great News and all those sites ... the trailer was very intresting bravo

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 07:14 PM

Can someone tell me if this has voice for the characters? I just saw the video and can't tell except I love the voice of the lady saying the poem.
Posted By: kjos

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 07:55 PM

I played about 10 minutes of the game and I died. I have no idea how it happened. You control one of the girls with the left mouse button and the right one is for running.Once you enter grandmothers house I don't think there is any control of her. I died in grandmothers house. It was really dark after I died I lighting it up. Haven't tried it again. I didn't have my sound on so I don't know if they talk. I don't know if I like it or not. Thanks
Richard
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 08:56 PM

There are no spoken voices in the game (apart from singing/whispering/chanting etc).
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 10:25 PM

Thanks, Carla

I think I will pass on this game..."No Voices"?
Not what I would enjoy playing.. duh
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 11:41 PM

I paid for the game with my credit card.
Paypal charged me $1.00 - didn't use PayPal
The file was dnloaded in a zip mode.
Unziped it. When I install the unzipped file I'm asked for a seial number.
Never received an email with the serial number and I don't know how to get in touch with them.
Posted By: kjos

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/19/09 11:48 PM

I downloaded mine from steam and payed $9.99. I also used paypal. You should never got charged a extra $1.00. I didn't need any serial from steam. The game sure wasen't the money.
Richard
Posted By: margaret

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 12:55 AM

you start the game choosing a girl. you can play the game with all girls. they have all different characters. you can walk straight away and following the path. then you'll enter grandmothers house and it's game over. the purpose is that you walk with your girl(avatar in the game) through the woods and collect items. but you can die, it's a horrorgame. you learn what the girls are thinking and doing. it's not an easy game and every chapter is short. it is indeed a very strange game but you can have fun with it. read the game manual carefully.

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 12:59 AM

Thanks margaret, I think they gave fair warning that it is not an ordinary adventure game. Your description is what I expected from it...I think it will be as interesting as the individual who is playing makes it. I'm glad you are having fun with it.

Ana wave

Posted By: Tomer

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 09:01 AM

This game sounds spooky.

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 01:20 PM

I am hoping BFG will release it also. I would be willing to try it for my membership fee. From what I am hearing when you die you win the game? Is that right? scared seems strange there is no happily ever afters. lol
Posted By: Tomer

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 02:14 PM

What is the goal of the game though? Is there a plot or is this some abstract, post-moderist adventure? smile
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 02:19 PM

The goal is to "get" the story and yes, you need to die a couple of times to fully understand what has happened. It is definitely more "abstract" than the usual adventure games. Someone on a different site said it's an experience rather than a game and I think that's a good way to describe it. The developers did warn that it wouldn't appeal to everyone. wink

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 03:12 PM

Is it possible to win the game? This game is really peaking my interest.
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 05:18 PM

I'm not getting any help with my problem.
How do I get in touch with them - why don't I have a serial number - why didn't I get an email? from them.
How can I re-dnload the game. I noticed that my dnload says 82%, guess this means I didn't get the full dnload.

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 05:39 PM

RAL, GameBoomers has no control over these issues. You will need to contact the support at the place you purchased from. There were multiple choices of where to download and you don't provide any info.

Ana luck
Posted By: Rushes

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/20/09 05:40 PM

RAL, if you ordered direct from their website, the contact e-mail address for any order query is: store@tale-of-tales.com

You'll probably need to contact them for a new download link. luck
Posted By: mrkwang

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 01:47 AM

[The Path] is on sale at steam, 8.99$.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/27000/

In fact, every Indie games are on sale at steam, until 29th. Mar.
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/indie

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 01:50 AM

Thanks for the info!

Ana wave

Posted By: Urpi

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 02:20 PM

Great news, relly. I'll head to the shop ;\
Posted By: Pokey

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 04:58 PM

I just read a great review of the game at Four Fat Chicks. It reminds me a bit of Alice an Interactive Museum in its strangeness. Nice that it is a fairly small download and I'll be getting it today.
Posted By: Becky

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 05:15 PM

I just read the article at FFC. This looks to be an extremely controversial game.
Posted By: +Oblivion+

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 06:15 PM

Personally, so far I think this game looks like a waste of time and money. Don't get me wrong, I'm into that creepy, horror genre, in fact I've been dying for a game like that. The videos I posted below are some gameplay videos I have found, all of which have persuaded me further not to dish out the $10. I've heard its pretty buggy, too.
Posted By: MaG

Re: The Path finally released! - 03/21/09 09:24 PM

Thanks, for the comments.

I deleted the links to you tube. It did raise a question whether this is an adventure game and also about the storyline.

This thread is closed.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community