GB HOMEPAGE

PC vs Console for Adventure Games

Posted By: Gnabgib

PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/24/09 04:27 PM

With the Agatha Christie games being released on PC and the Nintendo Wii and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper coming out for the pc and XBOX360 this year, it makes me curious which version people would prefer to play. While i love my playstation 3, i don't get to play it very often. Most of my pc gaming is done on my laptop while at Mom's place while i do laundry on the weekend (don't laugh, i'm a full time college student). So while i think the graphics and game play would be better for a game on the ps3 vs my laptop, i would barely be able to get 1 hour a week played vs i get a 3-4 hours on my laptop.
What do you fellow boomers think? Would you rather play a game on a home console or would you stick with the pc version?
Posted By: SkeeterUK

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/24/09 04:47 PM

PC, end of for me. wink
Posted By: carlahelp

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/24/09 04:49 PM

PC all the way. I have never had a game console such as PS3 and I don't much think I want one. The only one I have played is the very first Atari but that has been many years ago. So please keep the PC games coming.

Carlahelp
Posted By: kjos

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/24/09 04:59 PM

I have two pc and I will stick to the pc. I'm just to set in my ways.I Know everything about a pc and nothing about the other ones.
Richard
Posted By: chrissie

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/24/09 07:22 PM

I've always been an ardent supporter of AGs for consols - my thinking being that they are made for games & you don't have to worry about system specs - you insert the game disc & it plays. Also, certainly on older consols you could use a mouse instead of the gamepad.

Ideally I would still love to see AGs produced for e.g. the PS3, with the option to use a mouse & to play on a 38" flat TV screen - it would be wonderful. But, unless all AGs are produced for one in particular or all consols - it is not worth buying any consol to play a handful of AGs! Also, I've recently learnt that consol companies take a far larger chunk of a developers 'profits' which I don't think is healthy at the mo for AG developers. I may be wrong here, but at the moment AGs fall into a niche in the gaming world but I think the interest in them will grow in the years to come! smile
Posted By: Mad

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/25/09 04:22 AM

Well, despite whatever tweaking has to be done at times, it's PC Games all the way for me thumbsup

I've tried two or three different console type "thingies" now (other peoples' I must add) and I hate the small screen ones, I hate the graphics, even on a big TV screen and I hate game-pad type controls .... Guess I just HATE everything about 'em !! lol lol lol
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/25/09 05:02 AM

I too see a future in console gaming for adventure games, particularly with portable devices such as Nintendo DS. By its nature, adventure games are not hardware demanding, making it a perfect genre for portable devices.

The popularity of adventure titles in the Nintendo DS is a perfect example. Even Myst has just been released on the Nintendo DS, though the port was less than satisfactory. It is likely that the most successful titles will be exclusive titles that are not available for the PC frown
Posted By: Fishook

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 04/25/09 05:41 AM

PC all the way for me, as Console gamers want more action games so when they produce multi-format games they tend to be more action based and biased towards consoles. Just look at the recent Broken Sword games and Dreamfall, you have alot of people moaning about them.

But with the Nintendo DS, this does suit the adventure/puzzle games, but the small screen may prove a problem. I played Proffesor Layton on my Nephews DS and thought it was good.

EDIT:

Also Chrissie they would never produce a modern console with mouse and keyboard support, as it would virtually kill PC games as we know, due to the major price differences to a console and a decent gaming PC. You would loose alot of PC Hardware sales. I bought a XBOX 360 recently to replace my PC for games, but I find pads awkward to use and games not quite as smooth, and very rarely pay it now, apart from the occasional game of Guitar Hero/Rock Band. So I am saving up for a another ultra gaming rig.
Posted By: katbear50

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 03:41 AM

I own a new PS2, updated from the PS1 we had for years,
but this is for my grandchildren's use only.
I am a die-hard PC Fan!
I keep 2 games running at all times, both on my Vista PC
and my XP Laptop, one long-file adventure
& 1 no-brainer seek-n-find, etc,
and switch back n forth as the mood strikes me...LOL

Right now I'm fighting with "Dead Reefs" on my PC.
I DETEST the Keyboard driven aspects of this game!
GEEZE
It's a fairly new game, why in the world would the
developers have made the inane desision to do this
is beyone me!?!
If it wasn't so enjoyable of a game so far,
I would have water-tested it long ago...ARGH

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: chrissie
I've always been an ardent supporter of AGs for consols - my thinking being that they are made for games & you don't have to worry about system specs - you insert the game disc & it plays. Also, certainly on older consoles you could use a mouse instead of the gamepad.

One disadvantage of those older consoles is that they don't have hard drives, so you're always playing off the CD. With some adventure games that means annoyingly long load times between screens.

Unfortunately there aren't enough adventure games made for current generation consoles to make buying one worthwhile (unless you enjoy other genres as well as adventure).
Posted By: Butcher

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 06:30 AM

For me it's always PC no matter what game genre we are talking about. My brother has a PS1/PS2/PS3/XBOX/Xbox360/Wii but i have never played simply because I don't want to. I never liked the controls especially if it's a First Person Shooter but generally speaking I don't like consoles.

I know there are good games for Consoles as well but i prefer PCs due to the fact that you will find more "realistic" pc games whereas most console games are "arcade" you might call them. Most games on consoles come out for the younger people and thus they have that "arcadeish feeling" that i am talking about.

That's my personal opinion.

Spyros
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 08:29 AM

I love adventure games whatever platform they're on. I have all consoles except the PS3, but don't play on them all that regularly simply because there aren't too many adventure games. Yet. I am convinced there will be more in the future, some ports of games already released on PC (Agatha Christie, Sam&Max etc) but also exclusive games that will not be released on the PC.

I do sometimes play RPG's too, which makes the number of games I have on each console considerably larger.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 12:55 PM

My needs are a bit more basic than some of you. When I play a big adventure game, I need a lot of 'stuff'. I have a large pot of coffee, a few peanut butter cookies, a white legal pad for game notes, a yellow legal pad for review notes, a half dozen cheap machanical pencils, and whatever items strike me as required at the moment. I use a PC mostly because my computer desk was chosen to allow me room for all this junk.
Posted By: Robertson

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 02:15 PM

For me, adventure games need a mouse or mouse-type control, not a typical console controller. So, that means PC. However, I also own a Wii and DS. Both of these platforms offer opportunities for "point-and-click;" with the current Broken Sword for the DS being a beautiful example of what can be accomplished with developer willingness and ingenuity.

Robertson
Posted By: Karsten

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 03:23 PM

I always played adventure games (and other games) on the pc. It just became that way, I guess. However, I'm thinking of getting a Nintendo DS (lite) and maybe some other consoles as well, definetely as PS2, and maybe a PS3 and an Xbox 360. But it depends...

Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 03:48 PM

Haze, I like your attitude! However, you forgot the colored pencils for the Rhem games - they're great for keeping all those wires in order. Last year I bought a PS3 - took a few days to learn the controller - and I would marry it now if I could. Even bought a controller for the PC and played The Hobbit and Over the Hedge with it. When we get broadband out here I'll have the PS on it.
Posted By: Paola Croft

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/02/09 06:32 PM

I prefer to play graphical adventures on PC. I have Playstation 3 and Wii, but, expect for Tomb Raider saga, I love to play adventures games on PC grin
Posted By: Trinny3

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/03/09 02:40 AM

It is PC for me and none other hearts. I feel like most of you, especially like Mad thumbsup. My family has just about all of the consoles available and also the DS lite. I never got into enjoying any of them. Not my style smirk.
Posted By: thracia

Re: PC vs Console for Adventure Games - 05/03/09 11:01 AM

For me it's more about the game than the console. I own an Xbox 360,PS3,Wii and Nintedo Dsi,and PC,(I know, I'm just a big kid) and I will play any game on any platform, as long as it is a game I like.For example, I absolutely loved Millionair on the DS. I aslo bought And Then there were None, for the Wii. I think I'm more addicted to the games than which platform they are played on.

thracia
© 2024 GameBoomers Community